Poor Hill. Goes unclaimed.

pointman

I have never seen a WR take as many huge hits as Hill did ...It seemed everytime the guy caught a ball he got leveled. What that tells ya is not only can't the guy catch but he telegraphs his Routes and has problems getting open. When WRs do that in the NFL they get killed.4

If a guy is telegraphing his routes isn't it upto the coaching staff to coach him to not do just that.

What you are also saying is he could catch the ball in traffic. Which is what many here contend he cannot do.

If a guy is telegraphing his routes isn't it upto the coaching staff to coach him to not do just that.

What you are also saying is he could catch the ball in traffic. Which is what many here contend he cannot do.

I never said he could catch the ball in traffic ...I never said he could catch the damn ball at all since he has hand s of stone....that does not mean he drops every pass obviously /// but on more occasions than not the guy was taking huge hits. Speed does not always equate to getting open if you simply do not have the moves. Apparently Hill has no moves other than running vertically up the field and beating The CB with sheer speed then dropping the football.

I never said he could catch the ball in traffic ...I never said he could catch the damn ball at all since he has hand s of stone....that does not mean he drops every pass obviously /// but on more occasions than not the guy was taking huge hits. Speed does not always equate to getting open if you simply do not have the moves. Apparently Hill has no moves other than running vertically up the field and beating The CB with sheer speed then dropping the football.

Pretty much. The hit he took against the Titans was on him...he had no idea how to brace his body for contact while attacking the ball. He had no awareness whatsoever on the field.

Pretty much. The hit he took against the Titans was on him...he had no idea how to brace his body for contact while attacking the ball. He had no awareness whatsoever on the field.

I think he hears footsteps even when they're not there, and that's why he jumps up and catches the ball with his body by cradling himself around it like he's expecting to get hit a split-second later.

Sometimes its the third of a second that counts a whole lot!

Just to stretch the defense to create some additional breathing room underneath? Meh.

Jordy Nelson is a deep threat, no? He's closer to Decker's clocked speed than Hill's. Ditto A.J. Green, Dez Bryant, and plenty of others.

If he runs a deep pass pattern he'll take a defender or two with him if there is fear of a deep pass being completed, even if the receiver has timed speed of about 4.5 or slower.

Whatever. I just hope they made the right choice.

So if a guy is telegraphing his routes isn't it upto the coaching staff to coach him to not do just that.

Rex Ryan: Stephen Hill didn't take advantage of his chances

Updated September 1, 2014 8:17 PM

By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN  kimberley.martin@newsday.com

Travel deals

Stephen Hill got all the chances he needed, Rex Ryan said. He just didn't take advantage of his opportunities.

The Jets coach wished his former receiver well Monday during a conference call, but Ryan also laid out the cold hard facts regarding Hill's release.

"We certainly didn't give up on Stephen or anybody else," Ryan said, noting that Hill, a 2012 second-round pick, received more snaps than any other receiver during camp and did not contribute on special teams. "We provide the opportunity to make a team, and some guys reached out and took it. And other guys, it never worked out for you."

The Jets waived the 6-5 Hill on Saturday after two disappointing seasons and a so-so preseason. He went unclaimed. He worked out for Carolina on Monday, a source confirmed to Newsday.

Told that Hill's agent, Alan Herman, criticized the organization for not doing right by his client, Ryan said: "Certainly, he has a right to his opinion. But if anything, I believe that I do support all of our players. But again, I understand it is probably a difficult situation at the time and I certainly wish Stephen the best."

Jet streams

The Jets were awarded former Cardinals receiver Walter Powell off waivers. Powell, a sixth-round pick by Arizona in this year's draft, had six receptions for 106 yards in the preseason. He also was used on special teams. To make room for Powell, the Jets released rookie linebacker Jeremiah George, a fifth-round pick . . . Rookie receiver Quincy Enunwa was waived to make room for cornerback Phillip Adams. Both Enunwa and George are expected to be signed to the practice squad.

YES!!!! :wild: 

Does anyone find it odd that the guy was our opening day starting WR his rookie year, and three years later he is cut??

If he was so bad, why the hell was he starting? I don't care what other WR's we have, we kept garbage players over him, how the hell was he in the starting lineup, and is so bad he is off the team now?

Did he regress? Did he not progress at all? If he regressed, why? If he did not progress, why?

The offense of this team better show serious signs of life this year. It has really been abysmal how little has come of this offense in a long time. Do we need better coaching, better players, better scouts?

Whatever it is, get it!

Does anyone find it odd that the guy was our opening day starting WR his rookie year, and three years later he is cut??

If he was so bad, why the hell was he starting? I don't care what other WR's we have, we kept garbage players over him, how the hell was he in the starting lineup, and is so bad he is off the team now?

Did he regress? Did he not progress at all? If he regressed, why? If he did not progress, why?

The offense of this team better show serious signs of life this year. It has really been abysmal how little has come of this offense in a long time. Do we need better coaching, better players, better scouts?

Whatever it is, get it!

I think because there was NO GAME TAPE on how to study his tendencies. Once his physical talents were seen and recorded (1st game v. Buffalo) one-trick pony Hill was done. CBs eventually learned how to play him and negate his only weapon - speed on a GO route (off coverage so as not to get burned deep) - because he CAN NOT Catch Over THE MIDDLE, run CRISP Routes, or REACH UP for JUMP BALLS against smaller defenders. 

I was rooting HARD for him to succeed, but it just wasn't meant to be. Ironically I was having a conversation about business with my OldMan today and the topic of "Cutting Your Losses," kinda funny. 

I think he hears footsteps even when they're not there, and that's why he jumps up and catches the ball with his body by cradling himself around it like he's expecting to get hit a split-second later.

I just think he never had confidence in his hands. I remember this preseason against the bengals Geno threw him a pass at his head. He jumped to body catch it instead of catching with his hands. When he landed he got laid out and dropped the pass. If he caught with his hands he could have just braced for the hit. Its a subtle thing but it makes a huge difference in the NFL.

To me being a hands catcher and precise route runner are the most important traits of a WR. They are more important to me than speed and height because they show an understanding of how to play the position. Stephen hill was fast and tall, but he never really knew how to play WR. It's like a pitcher who throws hard but doesn't know how to pitch. There is a big difference between a pitcher and thrower. Just like there is a difference between a big fast guy and a precise WR. Decker is a precise WR, Hill is a runner. I think that was why he got cut. The coaching staff realized he was never going to be precise and other than being a WR he brought nothing to the team...it wasn't enough

So if a guy is telegraphing his routes isn't it upto the coaching staff to coach him to not do just that.

The coaching staff can only do so much. If you coach someone up and they simply do not respond for 2 + years then it becomes a problem. Can another coach have better influence on him or teach him better ? Possibly, but that remains to be seen.

Archived