Jets sign WR Walter Powell

BroadwayJets

Just think about this objectively for a minute. Take your bias out of it and realize how funny the situation is. Entering the draft, CB #2 and WR #2 are arguably the team's biggest needs. He has 12 draft picks. The draft is arguably the deepest it's ever been at WR, and it's also deep at corner. He uses all 12 picks and still walks away from the draft without answering either of those questions.

Idzik did answer the call at Corner with Dexter McDougle, and he picked up Patterson to be a 1 year stop gap until McDougle got that 1st year under his belt. No one saw what occurred coming. Idzik could have drafted Darqueze Dennard and he could have went down with an ACL and it would have been worse if that was the case. Before McDougle's injury the majority of this site was excite to see and hear what McDougle was doing. Besides, It wasn't like we needed another #1 CB. We were looking for a #2 so there was no need to spend our top 2 picks on a corner when we didnt have a #1 safety or a #1 TE, which is what we now have. Pryor will help with with our secondary obviously, Antonio Allen has been rather impressive as well and will probably be a better CB than we expect. 

Granted, I didnt like the fact that we didnt address WR earlier, but Idzik decided to take care of positions early in the draft that he didnt take care of in free agency (like Safety, TE) and positions that he added to in FA he drafted in later rounds such as WR. 

Everyone will have their opinion on what we have going into week one, but one thing that I believe everyone will agree on is that as a roster, this team is much better than last years team. 

Idzik did answer the call at Corner with Dexter McDougle, and he picked up Patterson to be a 1 year stop gap until McDougle got that 1st year under his belt. No one saw what occurred coming.

3, 0, 13, 7, 11, 16, 14, 7, 2, 6 = amount of games Dimitri Patterson has appeared in by year. Relying on him was a huge mistake, he's not even that good when he's healthy (and he's rarely healthy). McDougle... when was the last time he appeared in a game? Over a year ago? Milliner had a lengthy injury history in college.

Yeah, no one saw this coming.

3, 0, 13, 7, 11, 16, 14, 7, 2, 6 = amount of games Dimitri Patterson has appeared in by year. Relying on him was a huge mistake, he's not even that good when he's healthy (and he's rarely healthy). McDougle... when was the last time he appeared in a game? Over a year ago? Milliner had a lengthy injury history in college.

Yeah, no one saw this coming.

They weren't relying on him solely, they were relying on 3 CB's actually to take care of the #2 spot. Those names are Dexter McDougle, Dimitri Patterson and Darren Walls. Its only considered a huge mistake because of hindsight, not because of the numbers you put up because those numbers would be okay if you had Walls and McDougle to work with. As of right now we only have Walls, which is why people are calling it a mistake. Every team deals with injuries. 

And please show me a quote from someone a week after the draft saying that they seen this coming. The only thing spoken of was the fact some people didnt like the fact that Idzik didnt spend money on a #1 CB in free agency or went after Brandon Flowers after the draft, though he's shown that he's not a man-to-man type corner. 

Its just the hindsight people coming around making noise.

WR needs - signed the top WR in FA, drafted 3.

CB needs - relying on last year's #1 to step it up, signed a stopgap FA, drafted 2.

Has it occured to anyone else that in a draft deep at a position or two, it might be better value to draft other positions early, and then double or triple (yum) dip at those so called deep positons later?

I really want to like him, but in all honestly there is no way I can get my head around the pick.  It is still a WTF? pick to me.

I didn't care for it either, but thought that if we were drafting him solely as a PR it could make sense.  It's a high friggin pick to use on a PR, Buuuuut if he's the most amazing one in the world I could understand it.  So far, I haven't been blown away by his punt returns either. 

They weren't relying on him solely, they were relying on 3 CB's actually to take care of the #2 spot. Those names are Dexter McDougle, Dimitri Patterson and Darren Walls.

a journeyman, 3rd rd rookie who played 2 games last year, and an UDFA who has never been a contributor in his career.    Is that really the plan you are defending?    that isn't even mentioning Wilson who is in desperate need of an upgrade.   there is not a quality starter in that bunch of 4 CBs.  

Jets had a chance at Revis for $13M, Davis for 10M, or DRC for 8M.    Instead we overpaid for Patterson and now have nothing.   This team isn't that bad but you have to put an NFL caliber CB on the field if you want to be an NFL GM.      

It's not like the team is strapped for cash either.   What good is the $21M of unused space going to do this weekend vs. the Raiders or the following Sunday vs. the Packers?    Wouldn't $11M of cap space + #24 (revis not patteson) look pretty good out there?  

WR needs - signed the top WR in FA, drafted 3.

CB needs - relying on last year's #1 to step it up, signed a stopgap FA, drafted 2.

Has it occured to anyone else that in a draft deep at a position or two, it might be better value to draft other positions early, and then double or triple (yum) dip at those so called deep positons later?

It's this whole common sense thing that some people here seem to lack and constantly complain about our lack of CBs because our top 2 guys got hurt

Archived