Cimini predicts 9 and 7 record for Jets

faba

2014 Predictions: New York Jets
September, 2, 2014
SEP 2
8:00
AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

ESPN.com New York Jets reporter Rich Cimini makes his game-by-game picks for the 2014 season.

Week 1: Oakland Raiders

The schedule-makers did the Jets a solid by matching them with the Raiders for the opener -- at home, no less. There's no way the Jets can lose to rookie Derek Carr and a rebuilding Oakland team. Prediction: Win

Week 2: at Green Bay Packers

This is a tough, tough spot for the Jets' depleted secondary. Their young DBs will have a hard time communicating at loud Lambeau Field, and Aaron Rodgers will tear them to shreds. Prediction: Loss

Week 3: Chicago Bears

The Brandon Marshall-Alshon Jeffery receiving tandem is scary for the Jets, but they can get pressure on Jay Cutler and control the game with their "Ground & Pound" rushing attack. It'll be old-school football for the Jets on the Monday night stage. Prediction: Win

Week 4: Detroit Lions

This could turn into a prolific pitch and catch between Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson, but this is where Rex Ryan's defensive acumen will come into play. He'll cook up an exotic scheme that will confuse the interception-prone Stafford.Prediction: Win

Week 5: at San Diego Chargers

Ryan likes San Diego -- he won a playoff game there in January 2010 -- but this trip to the West Coast won't go as well. It'll be too much travel and too muchPhilip Rivers, who will cool off the hot Jets. Prediction: Loss

Week 6: Denver Broncos

Oh, brother. In this case, the Manning brother at MetLife Stadium will be Peyton. Unless he's freaked out by Super Bowl nightmares from last February, Manning will have a field day with the Jets' secondary. Prediction: Loss

Week 7: at New England Patriots

The Jets get only three days of rest before facing Tom Brady & Co. on the road. There are easier things in the NFL than having to prepare for the Patriots on a short week. It's almost not fair. Prediction: Loss

Week 8: Buffalo Bills

This is a must-win game, and the Jets will respond to the challenge. With fans and media clamoring for Michael Vick, Geno Smith will play his best game to even the Jets' record at 4-4. Prediction: Win

Week 9: at Kansas City Chiefs

Call this the Buddy Bowl. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg worked under Chiefs coach Andy Reid in Philadelphia and Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton served under Ryan with the Jets. In the end, the Chiefs' home-field advantage will be the difference. Prediction: Loss

Week 10: Pittsburgh Steelers

The Jets have dropped three straight to the Steelers, including the 2010 AFC Championship Game. It's not the Jets' favorite matchup, but this isn't your typical Pittsburgh team. It's time for some redemption. Prediction: Win

Week 12: at Buffalo Bills

Here's a guarantee: The Jets won't visit the local Dave & Buster's on the eve of the game, as they did last season on the trip to Buffalo. The Jets lost and Ryan was ripped for trying something outside the box. No matter, they'll lose again.Prediction: Loss

Week 13: Miami Dolphins

Expect the unexpected in this old rivalry. The Jets have dropped two straight at home to the Dolphins, failing to score a touchdown. Some things are hard to explain. Playing on Monday night, the Jets drop to 5-7, prompting Ryan to bench Smith in favor of Vick. Prediction: Loss

Week 14: at Minnesota Vikings

By now, Teddy Bridgewater will be starting for the Vikings. Ryan's defense is tough on rookies, so the Vick-led Jets will save their season with a rousing victory in the cold of Minnesota. Prediction: Win

Week 15: at Tennessee Titans

Chris Johnson circled this game on his calendar as soon as the schedule was released, making no attempt to hide his bitterness toward his former team. He'll run wild against an overmatched Tennessee defense. Prediction: Win

Week 16: New England Patriots

Ex-Jets star Darrelle Revis returns to MetLife Stadium, this time as a member of the Jets' top rival. He'll intercept Vick, but the Jets will get the last laugh, improving to 8-7. Prediction: Win

Week 17: at Miami Dolphins

In a repeat of last season, the Jets will close the season on an upbeat note, ending the Joe Philbin era in Miami. Unfortunately for them, a 9-7 record won't be good enough for the playoffs, marking the fourth straight year out of the postseason. Prediction: Win

Predicted Record: 9-7 

Not far from my own predictions for 2014:

Oakland - Win (1-0)
at Green Bay - Loss (1-1)
Chicago - Loss (1-2)
Detroit - Win (2-2)
at San Diego - Win (3-2)
Denver - Loss (3-3)
at New England - Loss (3-4)
Buffalo - Win (4-4)
at Kansas City - Loss (4-5)
Pittsburgh - Loss (4-6)
Bye
at Buffalo - Win (5-6)
Miami - Win (6-6)
at Minnesota - Win (7-6)
at Tennessee - Win (8-6)
New England - Loss (8-7)
at Miami - Win (9-7)

Playoffs Wild Card Round vs. Pittsburgh - Loss

FINAL RECORD: 9-7, Loss in Wildcard Round

This team sucks something awful...but Rex Ryan is a great coach so I could see them getting to above .500.  I just highly doubt it.

7-9 or 8-8 seems about right.  If the light turns on for Geno, maybe high side 10 wins.

Gun to my head?  They go 8-8 again with another up and down year from Geno leaving the Jets with a QB decision for 2015.

This team sucks something awful...but Rex Ryan is a great coach so I could see them getting to above .500.  I just highly doubt it.

7-9 or 8-8 seems about right.  If the light turns on for Geno, maybe high side 10 wins.

Gun to my head?  They go 8-8 again with another up and down year from Geno leaving the Jets with a QB decision for 2015.

I have not been a Geno fan, but I do not think you could be farther from the truth with this one.

I think he'll be steady enough this season.  Not spectacular, but not a roller coaster ride, either. Enough to be the future?  Who knows?  

Yeah, this is where I'm at...I'm just not sure if "stead enough" means lets give him another year or we're taking a QB high.  I guess that depends on what happens to his game while being "steady enough".

Yeah, this is where I'm at...I'm just not sure if "stead enough" means lets give him another year or we're taking a QB high. I guess that depends on what happens to his game while being "steady enough".

The way it's shaking out, though, Geno is going to have to win a bunch of 35-28 type games. It'll either go really, really well for him or it'll explode in everyone's face.

The way it's shaking out, though, Geno is going to have to win a bunch of 35-28 type games. It'll either go really, really well for him or it'll explode in everyone's face.

Maybe but I doubt it.  I still see this season as ball control, run first, keep the score close and their offense off the field type of season.  Which I think they can do with the addition of Decker and CJ helping move the chains.  This is all assuming Geno's competent enough to make it all work. 

And while I get the CB situation is abysmal right now with Milliner out, he'll be back and I dont see the Jets suddenly allowing a league high in points per games creating shootout scenarios.  Teams will still be one dimensional being forced to pass, which hopefully the Jets can game plan around and create some turnovers.  Hopefully.  The front 7 should be strong enough to keep them in games, despite the lack of talent at CB.

Archived