Sporting News ranks Jets Idzik one of NFLs 5 worst GMs

joewilly12

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based solely on last year's draft you can't call him bottom 5. 

We're going to find out real fast this year about the impact of his stubborn philosophy regarding FAs. His draft has me scratching my head... I can't fault him for bad luck with injuries to Shaq Evans and McDougle, however, with 12 picks and to not package some of them up and trade higher into the draft is questionable. Especially now, as we see them cutting some of those draft picks. (Part of me is like why did we draft them, part of me is like well at least we aren't going to commit 3 years to bad draft picks if they aren't showing anything.)

As of right now, he does deserve to be second-guessed for the free agent CB "debacle" and for not packaging picks to get a better WR prospect out of this very deep draft. Other than that, I have no gripes about his approach. 

If Geno ends up being a good NFL QB, the first we will have had since Vinny, then none of us have sh*t to complain about.

Agreed, Geno is they key to the whole assessment.  If Geno ends up the guy and Idzick was able to get him by staying put and having him fall to him in the 2nd, that changes everything. Also, as much sh*t as he's been taking for his drafts, he got 5 starters out of 7 picks in last years draft. Milliner, Richardson, Geno, Winters and Bohanon.  Not too shabby.

when you draft a guy who missed his entire season last year, and an entire season as a junior in high school, it's not bad luck when he misses his rookie season in the Pros. It's kind of expected.

That Pats should be expecting Dominique Easley to go out soon then since he twice went out with ACL tears at Florida.  And they took him in the first round.

Agreed, Geno is they key to the whole assessment.  If Geno ends up the guy and Idzick was able to get him by staying put and having him fall to him in the 2nd, that changes everything. Also, as much sh*t as he's been taking for his drafts, he got 5 starters out of 7 picks in last years draft. Milliner, Richardson, Geno, Winters and Bohanon.  Not too shabby.

Sure, but Winters, Geno and Bohanon are only starters on the Jets. Two is still good, though.

All that said, I think its completely fair to knock him for leaving the Jets in the situation they're in with CB.  Its a sh*t show and he knows the type of system that Rex runs, putting a premium on CB's.  But who knew Milliner, McDougle would get injured and Patterson was a head case?  Thats life in the NFL.  Next man up.  Luckily, we've got Rex Ryan and my confidence in him as a defensive coach outweighs the concerns I have at CB.

Yep.  And that same McDougle who got hurt was getting rave reviews in camp.  If him and IK turn out to be players coupled with early picks Pryor and Amaro, that's a helluva draft. 

Rex once beat Peyton Manning while lining up Drew Coleman at DE.  So yeah, I think he can work through his lack of CB's.  And if he doesn't, the Rex haters get their wish and Idzik turns to a HC of his own choosing.

when you draft a guy who missed his entire season last year, and an entire season as a junior in high school, it's not bad luck when he misses his rookie season in the Pros. It's kind of expected.

"The knee bone is connected to the shoulder bone...".  What kind of pretzel logic is that?  

Yep.  And that same McDougle who got hurt was getting rave reviews in camp.  If him and IK turn out to be players coupled with early picks Pryor and Amaro, that's a helluva draft. 

Rex once beat Peyton Manning while lining up Drew Coleman at DE.  So yeah, I think he can work through his lack of CB's.  And if he doesn't, the Rex haters get their wish and Idzik turns to a HC of his own choosing.

Word.  And that's just the short list of players from this draft that have the potential to impact the team down the road a bit.  But if it turns out to be just McDouble, IK, Pryor and Amaro that is quite the haul -- all at positions of need.

Sure, but Winters, Geno and Bohanon are only starters on the Jets. Two is still good, though.

If you truly analyze the draft and just look at the percentages of players who make an NFL roster for more than 2-3 years, landing 2 starters is a very successful draft.

They have some intriguing players taken late, no doubt, but I'm not holding my breath.  That said, if we land 2 starters and some depth, thats good.  Most fans just see the amount of picks and dont care or understand how hard it is to land players after the 3rd, so they're judging this draft already just from the simple fact we dont have all these studs starting.  When the truth is, its really F'ing hard to find talent that late in the draft.  The odds are stacked way against those guys.  For some reason Jets fans dont get that aspect of the draft.

McDougle's injury history was built into his value, which is why we got him a round or 2 later than his skills dictated.  I'd rather take a shot on a high upside corner there than get burned by taking, say, a Kyle Wilson in the 1st.  Ripping Idzik for McDougle's injury history would be like ripping Tannenbaum for the Revis pick knowing his holdout/selfishness risk (which he displayed before playing a single NFL snap).

Not to mention people seem to think safety is like, not even part of the secondary.  If Calvin Pryor is the goods he'll take a LOT of pressure off our corners.  A secondary of Milliner-McDougle-Pryor-Allen has a very high ceiling.

Idzik >>>> Tannenbaum.

McDougle's injury history was built into his value, which is why we got him a round or 2 later than his skills dictated.  I'd rather take a shot on a high upside corner there than get burned by taking, say, a Kyle Wilson in the 1st.  Ripping Idzik for McDougle's injury history would be like ripping Tannenbaum for the Revis pick knowing his holdout/selfishness risk (which he displayed before playing a single NFL snap).

Idzik >>>> Tannenbaum.

Or maybe like taking a CB in the first with a rod in his leg who has yet to prove anything either? Or maybe like trading a 4th for a RB that has yet to play an entire regular season game without getting hurt and couldn't even beat out Bilal Powell last year? 

Where do you get that it was good value? McDougle was graded out as a 5th round pick by most expert accounts.

If you truly analyze the draft and just look at the percentages of players who make an NFL roster for more than 2-3 years, landing 2 starters is a very successful draft.

They have some intriguing players taken late, no doubt, but I'm not holding my breath.  That said, if we land 2 starters and some depth, thats good.  Most fans just see the amount of picks and dont care or understand how hard it is to land players after the 3rd, so they're judging this draft already just from the simple fact we dont have all these studs starting.  When the truth is, its really F'ing hard to find talent that late in the draft.  The odds are stacked way against those guys.  For some reason Jets fans dont get that aspect of the draft.

Yes some people seem to forget most every teams later picks  either do not make the team or do have any real impact on the team- to bash Idzik and the Jets is all right for free agent moves or non moves but keep it in perspective practically no GM hits that right on later picks

By the way, Sporting News once ranked Mike Tannenbaum the game's 6th best GM back in 2011:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-07-18/sn-power-rankings-dimitroff-tops-nfl-decision-makers

6. Mike Tannenbaum, G.M., Jets. He's found the right winning mix of rising young stars such as Mark Sanchez and talented yet castoff veterans. Putting it all together was the great coaching hire of Rex Ryan.

Defining moment: In getting to consecutive AFC championship games, the Jets are no longer second-rate citizens in team building in their own division behind New England.

Decision '11: The team is facing several key free-agent choices in the near future. Expect re-signing wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards to be a priority.

By the way, Sporting News once ranked Mike Tannenbaum the game's 6th best GM back in 2011:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-07-18/sn-power-rankings-dimitroff-tops-nfl-decision-makers

The best players on this team are currently guys brought in under Tannenbaum so I'm not sure what your point is. Until Idzik drafts someone of the caliber of Revis, Mangold, Mo etc, this is really a silly argument. Sanchez is still up to today, better than Geno.

Yes some people seem to forget most every teams later picks either do not make the team or do have any real impact on the team- to bash Idzik and the Jets is all right for free agent moves or non moves but keep it in perspective practically no GM hits that right on later picks

b-b-butttttt tom b-b-bradyyyyy

lol

Mike Tannenbaum's best decisions got us two AFC title game appearances and zero trophies.  His worst decisions crippled the franchise for 3+ years.

Idzik's worst moves resulted in a possible bust 2nd round QB the previous draft instead of a Teddy Bridgewater/Johnny Manziel (who couldn't beat out Cassel or Hoyer for starting duties), a hole at CB, and a couple question marks at the G spots.

One can claim that our ceiling under Idzik is in doubt.  But what you can't deny is that Tannenbaum's ceiling was not high enough in a 7-year period, and his floor was disastrously low, maybe even lower than the Bradway days.  Idzik, to date, hasn't made any moves that put our floor in jeopardy of getting anywhere close to Tannenbaum levels.

But yeah, let's listen to the Sporting News, the guys who once ranked Tannenbaum 6th in the league (and now Tannenbaum is reduced to consultant duties for the f*cking Dolphins).

Stop comparing Idzik and Tannenbaum. Tannenbaum sucked because gave away all of our picks and drafted badly overall.

Idzik's hoarding picks and going conservative in FA. I like that strategy but you better be able to draft. We needed this class to be better. We needed last years class to be better. And we better hope none of these QB's turn out to be better than Geno(ie Carr).

But there's no reason to pump up Idzik by pointing to Tanny. Tanny sucked.

Stop comparing Idzik and Tannenbaum. Tannenbaum sucked because gave away all of our picks and drafted badly overall.

Idzik's hoarding picks and going conservative in FA. I like that strategy but you better be able to draft. We needed this class to be better. We needed last years class to be better. And we better hope none of these QB's turn out to be better than Geno(ie Carr).

But there's no reason to pump up Idzik by pointing to Tanny. Tanny sucked.

This.

yea yea

BUT.....the big difference between those two video RSJ is that one was thrown by a rookie QB and the other from a guy who continually made rookie mistakes up until he was mercifully taken out of the green and white Jets jersey. Same excuses too "I have to get better, I can't keep on doing..." Blah blah blah

Not sure what injury he had when he was a junior in high school but no one is exactly bound to tear their ACL after a shoulder injury

Watch it there - you are making way too much sense. Don't you know high school injuries of any sort are predictive of ACL tears. Idzik is hopeless - every other GM avoids drafting players who have injured themselves in high school.

Archived