I hate to ask, but what happens if the Jets lose to the Raiders?

AFJF

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on history, I can easily see the Jets coming out with a mix of ragged play and dumb penalties and absolutely give the game away after out playing the Raiders.  The key being getting burned on blitzes early in the game and the prevent-defense letting our chances slip away late in the 4th quarter.  It is a Rex-coached team, after all. 

As a Jets fan I'm always prepared for it, but the worse the opponent, the harder the loss.  Not many teams in the NFL worse to lose to than the Raiders.  Maybe the Browns?

No disrespect but I don't care how bad you think the Raiders are. Just win baby . You can deal with this Loss any way you want..

Btw Thanks for your service to this country. God Bless you.

Seriously, with all the talk about weeks 2-7, how would Jets fans react to heading in to those weeks after a loss to the lowly Raiders?

Frightening prospect, but it may just come true with Derek Carr lighting up this college level secondary. Hopefully the front 7 can confuse him enough and we can sneak out with a win, because the 6 weeks after that are gonna be hell. Lose this game and we might open up the season 2-5 or 1-6.

We start 0-1, and the season gets drastically harder going forward having lost a "winnable game" against a bad team.

It could mean a lot, it could mean nothing.

But IMO it would be a bad sign of whats to come.

Pretty much my feelings exactly.

Having said that, I don't see us losing this game. I don't even think it's gonna be close

No disrespect but I don't care how bad you think the Raiders are. Just win baby . You can deal with this Loss any way you want..

Btw Thanks for your service to this country. God Bless you.

Thanks for the kind words...they're much appreciated.  The great thing is, we get to find out on Sunday just how good or bad the Raiders are.

If the Jets lose, I'll deal with it the same way I always do...I'll shake my head and laugh maniacally.

Frightening prospect, but it may just come true with Derek Carr lighting up this college level secondary. Hopefully the front 7 can confuse him enough and we can sneak out with a win, because the 6 weeks after that are gonna be hell. Lose this game and we might open up the season 2-5 or 1-6.

Agreed...I head some guys on FAN the other day saying the Jets could realistically be 4-4 after the first 8...while anyting is possible, that's pretty damn optomistic if you ask me.

If ever there's been a game that the Jets should win, it's this one.   If you told me it was a Rookie QB and they were flying across the country to play us at home, I'd pretty much pencil it in as a win no matter who it was.

Yep...west coast teams tend to struggle with the cross-country flight, and Rex has a very good track record against rookie QB's.  Can't wait for kickoff.

If ever there's been a game that the Jets should win, it's this one.   If you told me it was a Rookie QB and they were flying across the country to play us at home, I'd pretty much pencil it in as a win no matter who it was.

Not merely a rookie QB, but a rookie QB in his first game.  If we lose...well it depends on the reason why, but it will be justifiably ugly.

I just want to see Smith show he's a QB worthy of building around rather than one in need of replacing (not just this game but on balance for the season). Everything else is fixable, long term or short.

Well, Carr was considered the backup until recently. We all know about this team and facing backups. At least it's not a 4 o'clock game.

I'm going back a long time here, but I remember a game where we were kicking the Raider's butts and the starter went out.  In comes the backup, Vince Evans, who proceeded to eviscerate us and engineer a ridiculous comeback.  Just add it to the list of reasons why Jets fans deserve a bigger slice of pie after dinner.

It'll just mean they are 0-1, but if Carr looks like some pro bowl QB, it could be a long long season and signs of things to come.  It would be great to see Geno and the offense do well, but if the secondary is just terrible against a rookie QB,  it'll mean the Jets need to win games 40-35 every week and I just don't see that happening.    

Of course if the offense stinks and the secondary stinks,  people will jump overboard.  

I'm glad you started this topic.  Most of the board is acting like we're 1-0 already.  Nobody knows how good each team is, there are teams which surprise every year, and this is the first game of the season.  I hope the Jets are not as overconfident as the posters here are.  The Jets need this game-we're not that good yet.

Win or loss this Sunday, and this goes for every game this year, as long as Geno is progressing nicely -- that's the most important factor.  Would you sign up right now for a year where Geno makes huge leaps and bounds as a QB, yet the team doesn't make the playoffs?  Or the team makes the playoffs, but Geno remains inconsistent and still falls into the same traps he did as a rookie?

Luckily Oakland strength plays to ours- running/running defense.... If they start chucking it around , that's where we will learn about our secondary quickly because if we can't stop Oakland in the air we are in for a long year

I can't say I agree with that.. in years past we've shut down the likes of Brady, Peyton, Rogers.. and then some no name guy would step in and look like the 2nd comming of Joe Montana. still blows my mind to this day.

Seriously, with all the talk about weeks 2-7, how would Jets fans react to heading in to those weeks after a loss to the lowly Raiders?

The Raiders made some moves in the offseason to improve their team .... They are not going to be a pushover and will be just as pumped up for day one as the Jets will be.

That being said if the Jets lose, at least this site will be amusing for the remainder of the week.

usually when the Jets lose I'm in a bad mood for a few hours but it passes when I come here to read and laugh.

From the jetsblog

Antonio Allen cleared to play Sunday, will start

September 2nd, 2014 3:52 pm

Antonio Allen has been medically cleared to play on Sunday, he told reporters.

Allen also said he has been told he will start at cornerback.

Wow this is going to be exciting to watch a player who should be playing safety play corner get turned around like a turnstile since he does not actually have the skill set to play corner nor does he have the technique

Archived