Jets need Rex to be at his best

JetNation

If you want to make a case against Rex, this is a horrible argument.  I'm not sure how much of that Pitt game you saw, but there were countless times that the Jets defenders had Pitt RBs stopped in the backfield and didn't wrap up.  Walking in at halftime when they caught up with Rex to ask him what he was going to change he said something along the lines of "we're not changing the damn scheme because there's nothing wrong with it".  He put his team in a position to succeed, but are you seriously going to say it's his fault that a bad snap handed the Steelers a TD, and defenders weren't practicing sound fundamentals in the first half?  A coach can only do so much.

You hate Rex Ryan, but to validate your hatred, you pull up the win/loss record the Jets had under him with Mark Sanchez at QB?  Just think about that for a sec.  Winning record against some HOF QB's, armed with Mark Sanchez.

I always got the feeling that Dungy was a vanilla type guy just going along for a ride.  

Dungy needed Peyton to win a ring, Gruden took Dungy's team and won one with Brad Johnson by simply not playing scared.

Dungy needed Peyton to win a ring, Gruden took Dungy's team and won one with Brad Johnson by simply not playing scared.

Was also a "Bert Emanuel rule" away of beating the Greatest Show on Turf and in the Super Bowl with Shaun King.

Dungy was a bit overrated...but I think as Tom alluded to- he knew how to build a winning program. Peyton also had some choke in him himself. The Bucs just never really had a decent QB...Dungy built that defense though.

He took over a Jets team who was 9th in the league in offense and they went 9-7 after Mangini and crew choked away an 8-3 start. And Favre was injured.   So yeah there was no Favre and they pushed to draft and start Sanchez,  but people act like he took over a 4-12 team.  The Jets were an 8-3 team the season before and looked like a team rolling into the playoffs.       And then it all collapsed.    But to say Rex took over one of the worst teams and offense in the NFL is ridiculous.

Absolutely.

I get a kick out of how easily people dismiss the miracle it took to finish 9-7 that year. (Colts sitting Manning).

Last season we received two gift wins in order for Rex to "over achieve" and finish 8-8.

He's a very good defensive mind and a players coach.

He's a mediocre HC with far too many in game management issues to ever be a consistent winner.

We should have moved away from him last off season and likely will do so after this year.

Woody's ineptness is the major reason Rex is still our HC.

If you want to make a case against Rex, this is a horrible argument.  I'm not sure how much of that Pitt game you saw, but there were countless times that the Jets defenders had Pitt RBs stopped in the backfield and didn't wrap up.  Walking in at halftime when they caught up with Rex to ask him what he was going to change he said something along the lines of "we're not changing the damn scheme because there's nothing wrong with it".  He put his team in a position to succeed, but are you seriously going to say it's his fault that a bad snap handed the Steelers a TD, and defenders weren't practicing sound fundamentals in the first half?  A coach can only do so much.

You hate Rex Ryan, but to validate your hatred, you pull up the win/loss record the Jets had under him with Mark Sanchez at QB?  Just think about that for a sec.  Winning record against some HOF QB's, armed with Mark Sanchez.

Six games, nine TDs, 3 picks, 94 rating. You said Rex needed an above-average QB to win titles. He had one in the playoffs.  

Six games, nine TDs, 3 picks, 94 rating. You said Rex needed an above-average QB to win titles. He had one in the playoffs.  

Would you give Pete Carroll a blank check to return to the Jets?

Funny fact, the top two coaches on ESPN's top HC list(meaningless but whatever) were former NY Jets Head Coaches. One for a season and one for a day lol.

Would you give Pete Carroll a blank check to return to the Jets?

Funny fact, the top two coaches on the top HC list were former NY Jets Head Coaches. One for a season and one for a day lol.

I don't think I'd give Carroll a blank check exactly (lol). After Alex Smith got $17 mil, I'm more convinced than ever that you have to go get a coach that can elevate QB p;ay. I think the future of the league will involve moving QBs along before you have to pay them, which means you have to have a system in place that takes the onus off of QB's to be geniuses. I think, if Kelly has success this year, there will be another surge of college coaches with an offensive pedigree coming into the league--Shaw, Briles, maybe someone takes another run at Urban Meyer. Guys who can structure an offense around a QBs skillset, and do it relatively quickly.  

I don't think I'd give Carroll a blank check exactly (lol). After Alex Smith got $17 mil, I'm more convinced than ever that you have to go get a coach that can elevate QB p;ay. I think the future of the league will involve moving QBs along before you have to pay them, which means you have to have a system in place that takes the onus off of QB's to be geniuses. I think, if Kelly has success this year, there will be another surge of college coaches with an offensive pedigree coming into the league--Shaw, Briles, maybe someone takes another run at Urban Meyer. Guys who can structure an offense around a QBs skillset, and do it relatively quickly.  

Give Rex a QB with talent, and Rex will develop him. If Geno has talent, Rex will get it out of him.

I agree to an extent.  At the end of the day, all concerns that really matter start and end with the QB if the position is not 100% solidified.  So for me at least, I'm still more concerned with QB than CB's.  You can occassionally scheme to cover for bad corner play.  You cant hide you QB for an entire season.

He's done it before when had the roster do it. 

Have no doubt there are enough tomato cans on the schedule that Ryan could eke out 9 wins with some luck. But the good defense/solid running game has a ceiling. And the middle of the schedule starting week 2 requires scoring point to do even that well. And I don't see it. it's prettyy much the same thing as Edwards, Groh or Mangini, even if he's a better coach than any of them. There's a pattern here with this franchise.%This will be a good running team, but this is not 1976.  Part of it is not having a great QB spare 11 games before Favre collapsed( from fapping?). But it's also an owner that keeps buying the same line from his head coach no matter who he is. Geno Smith could improve dramatically and still pretty much suck. And that looks like the mostly likely outcome.

I think Dungy is one of the most overrated coaches in the history of the game.

completely agree, been saying it for years , he's also about to become the most hated man in Detroit when they realize how bad Caldwell is, Dungy basically pulled every string he had and suckered Detroit into hiring him

Have no doubt there are enough tomato cans on the schedule that Ryan could eke out 9 wins with some luck. But the good defense/solid running game has a ceiling. And the middle of the schedule starting week 2 requires scoring point to do even that well. And I don't see it. it's prettyy much the same thing as Edwards, Groh or Mangini, even if he's a better coach than any of them. There's a pattern here with this franchise.%This will be a good running team, but this is not 1976.  Part of it is not having a great QB spare 11 games before Favre collapsed( from fapping?). But it's also an owner that keeps buying the same line from his head coach no matter who he is. Geno Smith could improve dramatically and still pretty much suck. And that looks like the mostly likely outcome.

I think they get that. They kept seven WRs and just three RBs. They signed Decker and Chris Johnson (who was tied for second on the team with six catches in the preseason - a little foreshadowing, I suspect), and drafted Amaro who looked like he was starting to get it earlier than I originally expected. Geno completed 69.7% of his passes this summer at 8.1 ypa. Are preseason stats meaningless? Maybe, lol, but I'd rather be optimistic over decent preseason stats than trying to rationalize away terrible summer numbers.

I think they want to throw the ball, and I think they plan on throwing the ball.

I think they get that. They kept seven WRs and just three RBs. They signed Decker and Chris Johnson (who was tied for second on the team with six catches in the preseason - a little foreshadowing, I suspect), and drafted Amaro who looked like he was starting to get it earlier than I originally expected. Geno completed 69.7% of his passes this summer at 8.1 ypa. Are preseason stats meaningless? Maybe, lol, but I'd rather be optimistic over decent preseason stats than trying to rationalize away terrible summer numbers.

I think they want to throw the ball, and I think they plan on throwing the ball.

Agreed...while pre-season stats are no indicator of future success...looking terrible in the pre-season last year sure as hell gave us a look at what was to come. 

He took over a Jets team who was 9th in the league in offense and they went 9-7 after Mangini and crew choked away an 8-3 start. And Favre was injured.   So yeah there was no Favre and they pushed to draft and start Sanchez,  but people act like he took over a 4-12 team.  The Jets were an 8-3 team the season before and looked like a team rolling into the playoffs.       And then it all collapsed.    But to say Rex took over one of the worst teams and offense in the NFL is ridiculous.

Favre retired before Rex arrived.  When Rex arrived.  His offensive roster looked like this:

QB: Kellen Clemens

WR: Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey, David Clowney, Brad Smith

TE: Dustin Keller, Ben Harstock, Matthew Mulligan

RB: Thomas Jones, Leon Washington

And a very good OL.

So I'd say its a deadly accurate assesment to say that was the worst offense in the league because well, that is legendary bad right there.  Could you imagine if the Jets actually entered the seaosn with that roster?  Oh wait, they did, they just substitued a sh*tty rookie in Mark Sanchez for Kellen Clemens and then traded  for Braylon Edwards.  Whooooopeeeee!!!!

Now if you want to say the OL was good enough to save them from being the worst offense in the league, I'd listen, but that was hands down the worst skills positions in the league.  Hands down.

Favre retired before Rex arrived.  When Rex arrived.  His offensive roster looked like this:

QB: Kellen Clemens

WR: Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey, David Clowney, Brad Smith

TE: Dustin Keller, Ben Harstock, Matthew Mulligan

RB: Thomas Jones, Leon Washington

And a very good OL.

So I'd say its a deadly accurate assesment to say that was the worst offense in the league because well, that is legendary bad right there.  Could you imagine if the Jets actually entered the seaosn with that roster?  Oh wait, they did, they just substitued a sh*tty rookie in Mark Sanchez for Kellen Clemens and then traded  for Braylon Edwards.  Whooooopeeeee!!!!

Now if you want to say the OL was good enough to save them from being the worst offense in the league, I'd listen, but that was hands down the worst skills positions in the league.  Hands down.

Not to defend or tout Mangini, but the Favre team was 8-3 until he jerked himself into oblivion and still should have made the playoffs over a Dolphins team led by Pennington. This was not a horrific team, and the failure to make the playoffs was more a function of injury to Favre and Mangini and Schittty panicking than any lack of talent.The blew very winnable games vs. the Seahawks and Dolphins  in December, either of which gives them a wild card, both of which gives them the division.  It still had a good OL, and the offense was pretty good until Favre messed up. If you're going down that road, consider Mangini won 9 games and got canned, Rex takes over and wins 9 in large part because the Colts  sat P.Manning week 17. 2008 Jets we're 9th in PPG, total yards and rushing offense  and 16th in passing despite favre collapsing all December. 2009 Ryan Jets were 31st in passing yards and #1 in rushing yards and 17th in scoring. Clealry the priorities from 2008/Mangini to 2009/Ryan changed very dramatically. Favre/Sanchez, was a big change, but it's not the only reason  th2009 Jets ran the ball and didn't pass as much. SOMEBODY (the HC?) set the priorities. 

Not to defend or tout Mangini, but the Favre team was 8-3 until he jerked himself into oblivion and still should have made the playoffs over a Dolphins team led by Pennington. This was not a horrific team, and the failure to make the playoffs was more a function of injury to Favre and Mangini and Schittty panicking than any lack of talent.The blew very winnable games vs. the Seahawks and Dolphins  in December, either of which gives them a wild card, both of which gives them the division.  It still had a good OL, and the offense was pretty good until Favre messed up. If you're going down that road, consider Mangini won 9 games and got canned, Rex takes over and wins 9 in large part because the Colts  sat P.Manning week 17. 2008 Jets we're 9th in PPG, total yards and rushing offense  and 16th in passing despite favre collapsing all December. 2009 Ryan Jets were 31st in passing yards and #1 in rushing yards and 17th in scoring. Clealry the priorities from 2008/Mangini to 2009/Ryan changed very dramatically. Favre/Sanchez, was a big change, but it's not the only reason  th2009 Jets ran the ball and didn't pass as much. SOMEBODY (the HC?) set the priorities. 

This really doesnt have anything to do with the fact that Rex took over the worst offense in the league when he arrived.  I posted their depth chart.  Outsides the OL, thats about as pathetic as it gets.

Anywho, to your points.  I'm 100% confident that the reason the Jets ran the ball more than they passed in 2009 was because the only strength on the offense was run blocking.  You really wanted Sanchez throwing all day long?  Its called coaching to the strength of your team, something Mangini never figured out here or when he got to Cleveland.  2010 was a little more balanced rushing the ball only about 20 times than throwing.  Again, with the OL being the strength of the offense.  2011, when the franchise expected Sanchez to take the next step and the OL wasnt as strong, they threw more than they ran and finished 8-8.  Go figure.

Either way, this is your favorite topic.  Ground and pound is dead, yet, 3 of the last 4 conference winners all follow the same philosophy.  You kindly ignore that all the time in this debate.  And its all good.  I'd like to see more passing too...but when you're saddled with Sanchez and Geno, well, yeah, you run the ball.

This really doesnt have anything to do with the fact that Rex took over the worst offense in the league when he arrived.  I posted their depth chart.  Outsides the OL, thats about as pathetic as it gets.

Anywho, to your points.  I'm 100% confident that the reason the Jets ran the ball more than they passed in 2009 was because the only strength on the offense was run blocking.  You really wanted Sanchez throwing all day long?  Its called coaching to the strength of your team, something Mangini never figured out here or when he got to Cleveland.  2010 was a little more balanced rushing the ball only about 20 times than throwing.  Again, with the OL being the strength of the offense.  2011, when the franchise expected Sanchez to take the next step and the OL wasnt as strong, they threw more than they ran and finished 8-8.  Go figure.

Either way, this is your favorite topic.  Ground and pound is dead, yet, 3 of the last 4 conference winners all follow the same philosophy.  You kindly ignore that all the time in this debate.  And its all good.  I'd like to see more passing too...but when you're saddled with Sanchez and Geno, well, yeah, you run the ball.

It wasn't that bad an offense, if it did lose it's dickie-photo prone HoF QB. If passing is not that big a deal, explain to me why the Pats win the AFCE every year or how Peyotn Manning never misses the playoffs? Again in 2013  the Seahawks were 9th in scoring offense, the jets 29th in 2013. Hwo does it follow that running the ball is all that and a bag of chips? In fact most of the rushing teams are pretty much in the same 130-140 YPG, whcih is not that big a deal. The Eagles are the outlier and they still passed the ball very well. The overall rushing stats are not really all that correlated to winning NFL games in 2013. Might want to consider the last time the jets had a real shot at the AFCE title was 2008 when they had a decent passing attack for 11 games. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/

We get it. You love Rex Ryan.But your cheerleading is getting beyond ri-GOD DAMN-diculous.Objectively even when the Jets had the #1 rushing team in 2009 they barely won 9 games. The Jets under Ryan have never been very good at passing nor scoring points. He is in fact the HC, not the DC. If he took over a team in 2009 that was so awful as you say, perhaps in the intervening 6 years he might have done something be it personnel, coaches or scheme to make it better. It looks a lot like Herman Edwards hiring a new OC to save his own job x2. 

But to keep comparing his caveman ground and pound crap to what the Seahawks and Niners are doing does them a disservice because that's not what Wilson and Kapernick do.  Simply it's not true and your comparison is invalid. The Seahawks and Niners do have good QBs who can pass effectively.Unless and until the Jets can pass effectively, something they have never done under Ryan, advancing deep intoi the playoffs is going to be very hard to do. Perhaps Geno Smith figures it out. He has looked better but that isn't saying much. We're about to find out. 

It wasn't that bad an offense, if it did lose it's dickie-photo prone HoF QB. If passing is not that big a deal, explain to me why the Pats win the AFCE every year or how Peyotn Manning never misses the playoffs? Again in 2013  the Seahawks were 9th in scoring offense, the jets 29th in 2013. Hwo does it follow that running the ball is all that and a bag of chips? In fact most of the rushing teams are pretty much in the same 130-140 YPG, whcih is not that big a deal. The Eagles are the outlier and they still passed the ball very well. The overall rushing stats are not really all that correlated to winning NFL games in 2013. Might want to consider the last time the jets had a real shot at the AFCE title was 2008 when they had a decent passing attack for 11 games. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/

We get it. You love Rex Ryan.But your cheerleading is getting beyond ri-GOD DAMN-diculous.Objectively even when the Jets had the #1 rushing team in 2009 they barely won 9 games. The Jets under Ryan have never been very good at passing nor scoring points. He is in fact the HC, not the DC. If he took over a team in 2009 that was so awful as you say, perhaps in the intervening 6 years he might have done something be it personnel, coaches or scheme to make it better. It looks a lot like Herman Edwards hiring a new OC to save his own job x2. 

But to keep comparing his caveman ground and pound crap to what the Seahawks and Niners are doing does them a disservice because that's not what Wilson and Kapernick do.  Simply it's not true and your comparison is invalid. The Seahawks and Niners do have good QBs who can pass effectively.Unless and until the Jets can pass effectively, something they have never done under Ryan, advancing deep intoi the playoffs is going to be very hard to do. Perhaps Geno Smith figures it out. He has looked better but that isn't saying much. We're about to find out. 

Where is this all coming from?  Why are you picking a fight over something I was never even discussing in the first place?  I simply said, he took over the worst offense in the league.  You keep pointing to the offense under Mangin but the thing is, he didnt have this HOF QB you keep referring to.  He had Kellen ******* Clemens.  Like WTF are you arguing?  He took over Kellen Clemens, Jerricho Cotchery and Thomas Jones.  Thats terrible.  lmfao.  Literally terrible.  Why you decided to use that as your stage for your typical "ground and pound = bad, throw every down = good" rants, I dont know.  I've agreed.  I'd love to be able to air it out and be a pass first bad ass scoring team.  You need a QB.  Something Rex has never had.

We get you hate Rex Ryan, to an extent that its getting god damn ridiculous.  You're actually trying to tell me he took over a good offensive team when he arrived.  Cookoo!  He hasnt had a QB.  Blame him, blame the GM, blame whoever you want, I really dont care.  You want the Saints offense but we dont have Drew Brees.  We've had Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith.

This is a boring argument that you love to have and its misguided and stupid.  I'm sure Rex would love to have a great QB, throw it all over the field and win a ton of games. He doesnt and he hasnt, so they run the ball.  Its called playing to the strength of your team.  You really think if Rex had Aaron Rodgers we'd be running the ball 60/40?  No.  He wouldnt.  We'd be tossing it around, putting up points and making you a happy fan. 

Besides, he's not even running the offense.  Marty is.  So yell at Marty. 

Where is this all coming from?  Why are you picking a fight over something I was never even discussing in the first place?  I simply said, he took over the worst offense in the league.  You keep pointing to the offense under Mangin but the thing is, he didnt have this HOF QB you keep referring to.  He had Kellen ******* Clemens.  Like WTF are you arguing?  He took over Kellen Clemens, Jerricho Cotchery and Thomas Jones.  Thats terrible.  lmfao.  Literally terrible.  Why you decided to use that as your stage for your typical "ground and pound = bad, throw every down = good" rants, I dont know.  I've agreed.  I'd love to be able to air it out and be a pass first bad ass scoring team.  You need a QB.  Something Rex has never had.

We get you hate Rex Ryan, to an extent that its getting god damn ridiculous.  You're actually trying to tell me he took over a good offensive team when he arrived.  Cookoo!  He hasnt had a QB.  Blame him, blame the GM, blame whoever you want, I really dont care.  You want the Saints offense but we dont have Drew Brees.  We've had Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith.

This is a boring argument that you love to have and its misguided and stupid.  I'm sure Rex would love to have a great QB, throw it all over the field and win a ton of games. He doesnt and he hasnt, so they run the ball.  Its called playing to the strength of your team.  You really think if Rex had Aaron Rodgers we'd be running the ball 60/40?  No.  He wouldnt.  We'd be tossing it around, putting up points and making you a happy fan. 

Besides, he's not even running the offense.  Marty is.  So yell at Marty. 

In 6 years has the offense become even mediocre? How much slack are you gonna cut this guy? When does the free ride end and responsibility start? Granted Sanchez was a dfisaster, Smith in one season little better. But that doesn't mean throw your hands and say oh freaking well. 

And he' s "not running the offense". F__ing lovely pausible deniability. Bellicheat, Parcells, Landry and Bill Walsh, to name a few good HCs, all started out as defensive caoches.It dudn't preclude or stop them from working with the offense. Offense is after all merely the other side of the saem coin as defense, but apparently that's simply too much for Wrecsk to handle even if it's HIS JOB DESCRIPTION.  IT'S A GODDAMN DISGRACE to be the HC and somehow not be responsible at all for the offense. That's a joke. But our owner loves Ryan's fake tough guy nonsense, so whatever, you win til the ship goes doen on a 4-12 seson. 

In 6 years has the offense become even mediocre? How much slack are you gonna cut this guy? When does the free ride end and responsibility start? Granted Sanchez was a dfisaster, Smith in one season little better. But that doesn't mean throw your hands and say oh freaking well. 

And he' s "not running the offense". F__ing lovely pausible deniability. Bellicheat, Parcells, Landry and Bill Walsh, to name a few good HCs, all started out as defensive caoches.It dudn't preclude or stop them from working with the offense. Offense is after all merely the other side of the saem coin as defense, but apparently that's simply too much for Wrecsk to handle even if it's HIS JOB DESCRIPTION.  IT'S A GODDAMN DISGRACE to be the HC and somehow not be responsible at all for the offense. That's a joke. But our owner loves Ryan's fake tough guy nonsense, so whatever, you win til the ship goes doen on a 4-12 seson. 

Why did you turn this into the same old boring argument?  Just feeling it today?  lol

Who's giving him a free ride?  Idzick isnt.  Thats for sure. Hence the 1 year deal.  

Are you referring to me?  I unfortunately dont have any influence over Rex's Head Coaching career.  I'm just a fan who thinks he's a great Head Coach and wish he could have had some decent QB's to work with.  

You act like I dont want the offense to better.  I do.  Just like you, I wish we could throw it all over the field.  Guess what? So does Rex. I assure you he'd love to have a fat long term contract and not have to worry about his job and the easiest way to do that is to have a franchise QB, something his GM's have failed to give him.  You want to blame him?  Cool.  I dont.

And who's throwing up their hands and giving up?  They took Geno, grabbed Vick, Decker, Johnson and drafted Amaro.  They're trying to get better. And thats all you can do when you're not good at something.  

Comparing him to BB, Walsh, Parcells, Landry...the all time greats.  Its fun to do and a cute exercise to hold him to their standards...but 95% of coaches dont get to that level.  And many coaches have come and gone, won SB's and werent near their talent.  Rex doesnt need to be either.  You have this myth in your head that HC's coach every aspect of the game.  You're wrong.  They dont.  They cant and 95% of them outsource one side of the ball or the other, if not both.  That is reality.

Thanks for turning this into one of your boring Rex hating rants.  It was fun.

You'll get your wish.  Rex will gone after this season.  So just relax and enjoy the ride.

Bugg's right, airing it out in 2009 would have been the right call for sure.  Remember when our run game was dominating that first Bills game but Sanchez threw 5 picks and we lost?  Good times.

Bugg literally thinks that Rex Ryan doesnt want to score points.  And he's like, dead serious. Think about that for a second.  He believes wholeheartedly, that Rex Ryan doesnt want to score points and have a great offense.  That's what we're debating with right now.

Bugg literally thinks that Rex Ryan doesnt want to score points.  And he's like, dead serious. Think about that for a second.  He believes wholeheartedly, that Rex Ryan doesnt want to score points and have a great offense.  That's what we're debating with right now.

I think the confusion for some lies in the fact that Rex has never once blamed the offense for our failures.  Rex knows he doesn't understand offense, so if they fail, he can't really be critical.  Meanwhile, If the D let's us down he takes personal responsibility for it.  But arguing that a guy who was frustrated by Peyton Manning for the better part of a decade doesn't WANT a great offense is lunacy.

I think the confusion for some lies in the fact that Rex has never once blamed the offense for our failures.  Rex knows he doesn't understand offense, so if they fail, he can't really be critical.  Meanwhile, If the D let's us down he takes personal responsibility for it.  But arguing that a guy who was frustrated by Peyton Manning for the better part of a decade doesn't WANT a great offense is lunacy.

Rex never blames anyone.  He always shoulders the blame in the public eye, like great leaders do.

Rex understands offense.  You cant be the coach you are at shutting down the best QB's in the game if you dont understand it.  He just cant coach it. Just like 95% of the league who spent their whole lives coaching one side of the ball.  Its the reason why teams have coordinators and position coaches.  HC's don't have the time or bandwidth to coach up every aspect of the team.  Just watch Hard Knocks once and its the same everywhere.  Positions coaches and coordinators coach up the players while Head Coaches work through those coaches.  Its how Football works. 

I love Rex, maybe not as much as you, but I'd drink his bath water.

That said, I think that even the biggest Rex detractors understand he would love to have a great QB, and a great offense.

I think their argument is that Rex is more interested in making his defense, and hence himself look great, than he is the whole team. And that is what leads to the offensvie struggles. Not my argument mind you.

My buddy is a Rex hater, and he believes that Rex would you rather have a number one defense and a first round playoff exit, than , a SB victory but strictly because of the offense, and the last ranked defense.

I don't agree at all, but I do understnad where they get that idea from. Rex at times talks like all that matters is his defense, and while I don't think that is true, he does bring some of that on himself. When you say things like all I know is we will have a top 5 defense, and you are a HC, it comes off as though you care more about the defense than the whole team, which can rub fans the wrong way if you are a HC. Some Jet fans don't want to hear about a good or great defense, when the team as a whole is mediocre.

Biggest problem is that his daddy was like that, and fairly or unfairly, that stigma is on him as well.

That said, I think that even the biggest Rex detractors understand he would love to have a great QB, and a great offense.

I think their argument is that Rex is more interested in making his defense, and hence himself look great, than he is the whole team. And that is what leads to the offensvie struggles. Not my argument mind you.

My buddy is a Rex hater, and he believes that Rex would you rather have a number one defense and a first round playoff exit, than , a SB victory but strictly because of the offense, and the last ranked defense.

I don't agree at all, but I do understnad where they get that idea from. Rex at times talks like all that matters is his defense, and while I don't think that is true, he does bring some of that on himself. When you say things like all I know is we will have a top 5 defense, and you are a HC, it comes off as though you care more about the defense than the whole team, which can rub fans the wrong way if you are a HC. Some Jet fans don't want to hear about a good or great defense, when the team as a whole is mediocre.

Biggest problem is that his daddy was like that, and fairly or unfairly, that stigma is on him as well.

Thats a fair take and I can get that perspective.

I'm not asking anyone to like Rex.  I have my reasons for why I do, they have their reasons they dont.  Its cool.  But like JF80 said, thinking the guy doesnt want to score points and have a great offense is straight lunacy.  

Bugg's right, airing it out in 2009 would have been the right call for sure.  Remember when our run game was dominating that first Bills game but Sanchez threw 5 picks and we lost?  Good times.

Stupid Schottenheimer kept calling all those interception plays. Why on earth did he keep doing that? So much harder to score points that way.

Stupid Schottenheimer kept calling all those interception plays. Why on earth did he keep doing that? So much harder to score points that way.

Yeah, Schotty got a bumb deal, guy was awesome. I really wish he was still our OC. Not sure why the heck Rex fired the guy.

Your buddy has it about right. Suspect Ryan would happily win a Super Bowl even if the score was 45-41.Crowing about your run defense week after week gets pretty old when your offense sucks balls. it's fair to say the QB talent hasn't been there so far. It's also  fair to say Ryan hasn't done much to improve the offense.If he has, buy all means, tell me. Simply telling us he farmed the job out to Schitty, then Sparano and now MM isn't getting it done. And every HC would be a lot better with a great QB. Which is why Rex Ryan is not so wonderful.

Archived