Boat owners

nj meadowlands

Bought my first boat a few weeks back.  A 1998 Sea Ray 230 Bowrider Signature.  She's a beaut and I'm a proud dad.

Anyone else in the club?

Congrats on the first of the two happiest days of a boat owner's life. :)

3 years ago my brother and I obtained an '83 Chris Craft Catalina 253 (26ft) in need of tlc.  4 weeks ago we put it in water for the first time, and it ran great.  The link below (if it works) is a few pics from our shakedown run.  The boat was still pretty dirty, but I've shined it up since. We're working on the cosmetic stuff now that the mechanicals are all 100%.

2 weeks ago we field tested our downriggers and they work too.  I have about 15lbs of salmon in the freezer, my brother has already smoked and eaten about 30lbs.

http://s908.photobucket.com/user/lincolnlog/slideshow/boat

The pics were at an inland lake, but that was just for our test -- the boat is too big for it.  We'll be on lake Michigan most of the time, with spring walleye trips on Lake Erie or Saginaw Bay.

Catalina 22

boston wailer 13

the only people who say that the happiest days are the day a man gets a boat and the day he sells it simply have no salt to speak of.

boating is always the right choice

Well stated.

Growing up on the south shore of L.I. we were on boats all my life.

As kids we were on the Hobie Cats and small Whalers.

Only time I sell a boat is because I have my eye on something else I like.

Mako 21"

Mengercat 19'

3 years ago my brother and I obtained an '83 Chris Craft Catalina 253 (26ft) in need of tlc.  4 weeks ago we put it in water for the first time, and it ran great.  The link below (if it works) is a few pics from our shakedown run.  The boat was still pretty dirty, but I've shined it up since. We're working on the cosmetic stuff now that the mechanicals are all 100%.

2 weeks ago we field tested our downriggers and they work too.  I have about 15lbs of salmon in the freezer, my brother has already smoked and eaten about 30lbs.

The pics were at an inland lake, but that was just for our test -- the boat is too big for it.  We'll be on lake Michigan most of the time, with spring walleye trips on Lake Erie or Saginaw Bay.

Boat looks great. I always liked the Catalina. A good comfortable boat with simple straight inboard power. I was always fond of the Chris 22' Cutlass also.

Boat looks great. I always liked the Catalina. A good comfortable boat with simple straight inboard power. I was always fond of the Chris 22' Cutlass also.

I think ours - the '253' - was unique among the 25' catalinas.  First, it's an I/O which took us by surprise and we love it.  Based on the 'scum line' at the transom, we only take about 14" draft.  If we're trimmed up we could carefully manage in 3' of water.

Also, it's got a bunk under the captain's chairs (they're raised slightly, like on a step).  If you enter the cabin and make an immediate left you can swing around into the bunk.  We carpeted it, and use it for downrigger/rod storage.

As for power, I gotta hand it to both the mfr. and my brother's mechanical ability.  The old engine starts faster and idles smoother than my 2006 Suburban.  We don't care about speed much, but we had to know what it's capable of.  A different prop might give us more, but on calm water we can get 28mph @ 4000rpm.

I think ours - the '253' - was unique among the 25' catalinas.  First, it's an I/O which took us by surprise and we love it.  Based on the 'scum line' at the transom, we only take about 14" draft.  If we're trimmed up we could carefully manage in 3' of water.

Also, it's got a bunk under the captain's chairs (they're raised slightly, like on a step).  If you enter the cabin and make an immediate left you can swing around into the bunk.  We carpeted it, and use it for downrigger/rod storage.

As for power, I gotta hand it to both the mfr. and my brother's mechanical ability.  The old engine starts faster and idles smoother than my 2006 Suburban.  We don't care about speed much, but we had to know what it's capable of.  A different prop might give us more, but on calm water we can get 28mph @ 4000rpm.

Wow sounds nice. Cant recall seeing an I/O Catalina locally. The I/O will def get you into low water without too much worry about bent running gear.

I would guess it is a Mercruiser outdrive mated to a small block GM V8?

Beautiful boat! Looks fun

Catalina 22

boston wailer 13

the only people who say that the happiest days are the day a man gets a boat and the day he sells it simply have no salt to speak of.

boating is always the right choice

Nice, man.  I flirted with a Boston Whaler Dauntless 17 before finding this boat.  Love whalers.

Well I have a canoe. I use it to float down the delaware river and drink beer. 

I've got a couple kayaks. I use them to watch the sun come up, getting into tough to access areas of the lake for photography and fishing, and for drinking beer.

:D

ive owned a cc 26. Nice classic

Bought my first boat a few weeks back.  A 1998 Sea Ray 230 Bowrider Signature.  She's a beaut and I'm a proud dad.

Anyone else in the club?

Congratulations.

This summer sucked big time, so we have been talking about doing something fun next summer.  A boat is at the top of my list but I am not sure about it. Thinking about doing this boat leasing thing out of Red Bank on the Navesink.  Seems like a cheaper way to start and you can use a few different boats and see what you like.

Anyone have experience with that?

Congratulations.

This summer sucked big time, so we have been talking about doing something fun next summer.  A boat is at the top of my list but I am not sure about it. Thinking about doing this boat leasing thing out of Red Bank on the Navesink.  Seems like a cheaper way to start and you can use a few different boats and see what you like.

Anyone have experience with that?

Depending on what you're looking for (size / seating / speed wise), it's not that expensive to get yourself in the game.  It's staying in the game where the costs add up a little ;)

Depending on what you're looking for (size / seating / speed wise), it's not that expensive to get yourself in the game.  It's staying in the game where the costs add up a little ;)

Amen to that.  Last night I was dreaming, looking at 38-50ft chris-crafts from the 80's.  I was thinking "Some of these are only 50k? I can do that!"

Then I saw the *huge* diesels in the engineroom.  I don't want to think about needing maintenance on those.

Archived