Welker Got Suspended?? LOL (merged)

New York Mick

Broncos receiver Wes Welker has been suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL’s policy against performance-enhancing drugs.

According to multiple reports, Welker tested positive for a banned amphetamine.

Welker becomes one of the highest-profile NFL players to be busted for a PED violation. Welker led the league in receptions three times while with the Patriots, and he was a component of the best offense in the NFL last year with the Broncos.

There’s been much talk in recent days about whether Welker would be healthy enough to play in Week One after suffering a preseason concussion, but now that talk is moot: Welker will miss four games regardless of whether he is cleared by the league’s concussion protocol.

The Broncos should be in OK shape at receiver even without Welker, thanks to the signing of free agent receiver Emmanuel Sanders and the drafting of rookie receiver Cody Latimer.

Welker will not be permitted to practice with the team during the suspension. He will be eligible to return in Week Five.

When I first read the headline online, I thought the league was protecting him from himself cause all the concussions. Nope. Little man got busted. 

I also love that amphetamines gets you more time than knocking out a woman and dragging her from an elevator. Goodell.. f'ing moron. 

Who gets suspended for amphetamines in 2014?

What is he? A shortstop in 1962?

He probably has a script for Adderall given all his concussions.

Glad the Pats let him walk before he became a drug addict.

You know right. Another ex-Pat gone bad. ;)

WTF are these guys doing trash like amphetamines for when they have the best legal cannabis on the planet?!

Dabs will DESROY your ass and it's good for a lot of the problems he probably has from playing in the NFL.

I've been wondering, it's legal in denver so can one of the players get suspended for failing a drug test for weed?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000388423/article/wes-welker-suspended-four-games-for-ped-use

Wes Welker won't be available for the start of the season, but it has nothing to do with the concussion he recently suffered.

Welker has been suspended four games for violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy, the team announced Tuesday evening. According to NFL Media's Albert Breer, Welker's appeal happened two weeks ago and parties were notified today that he lost the appeal.

How will Welker's suspension affect the Broncos?

In a email sent to The Denver Post, Welker said that he was "as shocked as everyone" at the decision.

"I want to make one thing abundantly clear: I would NEVER knowingly take a substance to gain a competitive advantage in any way," the email said. "Anyone who has ever played a down with me, lifted a weight with me, even eaten a meal with me, knows that I focus purely on what I put in my body and on the hard work I put in year round to perform at the highest levels year-in and year-out."

Breer reports that Welker's positive test came in May, so the suspension doesn't hit the Broncos brass as a surprise. They are far more well-equipped to handle the loss on the field than most squads. Emmanuel Sanders looked fantastic in the preseason, and he's better playing out of the slot than on the outside. Tight end Julius Thomas can handle a lot of the dirty work between the numbers where Welker resides. Veteran Andre Caldwell and second-round pick Cody Latimer should also get more snaps.

"Tonight's news regarding Wes is very disappointing for our team, but we understand the league's authority in this area," head coach John Fox said in a statement. "While it's unfortunate to not have him to start the year, I have full confidence in our wide receivers and expect that group to continue playing at a high level.

REPLAYFantasy impact of Welker suspension

"I have no doubt that Wes will remain focused on his preparations for the season and stay in excellent shape during his time away from the team."

The news is still a big setback for the Broncos during a challenging start of the season. They open the season with Indianapolis, Kansas City, Seattle and Arizona. Their rebuilt defense will pick up more of the slack now, but we saw last season that this team isn't going to fall apart just because it's missing one player.

Welker suffered his third concussion in the last 10 months only two weeks ago. His mandatory departure from the team will give him additional time to recover, but it doesn't help Welker's chances of returning in 2015 -- he's a free agent at the end of the season.

I've been wondering, it's legal in denver so can one of the players get suspended for failing a drug test for weed?

Yes, absolutely.

Weed is still illegal federally, and even if it wasn't, the league could still ban the substance (like they do with some over the counter supplements).

Yes, absolutely.

Weed is still illegal federally, and even if it wasn't, the league could still ban the substance (like they do with some over the counter supplements).

ok that makes since. I didn't think it about it like that.

Archived