Michael Sam

AFJF

Reportedly visiting the Cowobys, and I honestly feel bad for the guy.  He's good enough to be in the NFL, but the media is determined to cover every single thing he does.  So even if an NFL team likes him, they won't give him a shot because of the distractions.  Not trying to make a joke here, but he'd be ideal in San Fran.  Their defense has been depleted, and he would get support there like nowhere else. 

Thoughts?

Reportedly visiting the Cowobys, and I honestly feel bad for the guy.  He's good enough to be in the NFL, but the media is determined to cover every single thing he does.  So even if an NFL team likes him, they won't give him a shot because of the distractions.  Not trying to make a joke here, but he'd be ideal in San Fran.  Their defense has been depleted, and he would get support there like nowhere else. 

Thoughts?

You say he is good enough, but all the professional analysts say he isn't. He isn't fast enough to be a linebacker, he doesn't play special teams, he isn't a three down player, and on and on. He had some good pass rush in preseason, but that wasn't considered enough to cover the gaps he isn't capable of filling. So in closing, who cares if he likes guys or women. the point that he gets so much media attention is just as good for him, as it is bad (as you are pointing out).

You say he is good enough, but all the professional analysts say he isn't. He isn't fast enough to be a linebacker, he doesn't play special teams, he isn't a three down player, and on and on. He had some good pass rush in preseason, but that wasn't considered enough to cover the gaps he isn't capable of filling. So in closing, who cares if he likes guys or women. the point that he gets so much media attention is just as good for him, as it is bad (as you are pointing out).

Honestly?  You don't think that the co-SEC defensive POTY who performed at a high level in the pre-season is worthy of being the 53rd guy on somebody's roster. I think he absolutely is.  There are far worse players in the league.

He'd be a great addition to the Jets practice squad. Sheldon Richardson would have his back, and I've heard rumors about a robust homosexual community right here in NYC as well.

Tough sell...even though I'd like to see him make it, I'm not sure I want them to get a guy who announced before the draft that he didn't want to be here.

seriously, he did it ALL to himself. coming out wasnt the problem....it was everything he did afterwards

seriously, he did it ALL to himself. coming out wasnt the problem....it was everything he did afterwards

You think so?  I'd agree completely if he went through with that Oprah show.  When I heard about that I was like "eff him...publicity whore" but once he nixed it and just played football, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly?  You don't think that the co-SEC defensive POTY who performed at a high level in the pre-season is worthy of being the 53rd guy on somebody's roster. I think he absolutely is.  There are far worse players in the league.

To be the 53rd guy you have to play specials. If you know you cant get him on the field...add on the questions every day...add on it only being a 16 game season....I can see why organizations are saying let someone else deal with it.

WHat would make this entire thing easier if a good player were to come out. 

I really think all this controversy is more in the minds of the sportswriters and front offices than in most of the fans'.  I can remember when the Knicks fielded the first all black starting five in NBA history-and none of the fans noticed.  The papers and TV  played it up, though.

To be the 53rd guy you have to play specials. If you know you cant get him on the field...add on the questions every day...add on it only being a 16 game season....I can see why organizations are saying let someone else deal with it.

WHat would make this entire thing easier if a good player were to come out. 

Absolutely...I'm not saying I don't understand why teams are shying away from him, I just think it's a shame.  He's good enough to warrant a chance.  

I really think all this controversy is more in the minds of the sportswriters and front offices than in most of the fans'. I can remember when the Knicks fielded the first all black starting five in NBA history-and none of the fans noticed. The papers and TV played it up, though.

How ******* old are you?

College means a lot, and it means nothing. There have been a ton of great college players who didn't even get a look to turn pro. I don't think that a slew of professional analysts, and former professional athletes are all wrong. The reasoning they gave seems solid to me. He is a one trick pony, and supposedly isn't great at that one trick. 

If Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck came out as gay, the league and its partners would go buck-wild exploiting/profiting from that player, imo. Sam is being treated like he's an injury or attitude risk--teams are weighing his level of talent vs the level of potential aggravation (vis a vis media attention) that comes along with signing him. You hate to see it, but I'm not sure that, as a GM, I'd be in a rush to invite that onto my organization unless I was pretty sure he'd develop into a fairly significant contributor for my team. If he goes to Dallas and gets ten sacks this year, it's a great story. But if he struggles and is out of the league next year, I don't know that it'll be because the league hates gays, per se. It'll be because teams like to control how their team is covered and having players with baggage who aren't stars is exceedingly inconvenient.

Reportedly visiting the Cowobys, and I honestly feel bad for the guy.

Yes, it must suck to be drafted, then given a second chance.

He's good enough to be in the NFL,

Not right now he isn't. He's a college-level talent tweener who offers no flexabillity as a third stringer on the D-line as he only plays rush DE, can't play NFL LB, and doesn't play Specials. His stats were almost all against the Future Meat Cutters Union of the NFL (i.e. 3rd and 4th string guys also now cut).

but the media is determined to cover every single thing he does.

That fame is the only reason he was drafted.

So even if an NFL team likes him, they won't give him a shot because of the distractions.

The same NFL that gave Tebow, Vick, Ray Lewis, a drunk driving hit-and-running WR and a wife beating Raven second (or more) chances?

Please. NFL teams will deal with any distraction.....if you're worth it on the field.

Sams isn't.

Not trying to make a joke here, but he'd be ideal in San Fran.  Their defense has been depleted, and he would get support there like nowhere else. 

Thoughts?

Yes, the only reason this guy gets the attention he does is because he is a homosexual. Which is fine, but being homosexual isn't a reason to keep a guy on an NFL roster.

He either needs to be a MUCH better pass rush DE, bulk up massively so he can play DE & DT, or play the ever living **** out of specials a la a former Bill we might mention.

Otherwise he's just another guy too small and slow to play in the pros who was really good in the minors.

Sports is full of these guys, most never get their name mentioned, because most aren't homosexual and milking it for all it's worth to get chances his talent doesn't neccessarily warrant.

It was hi-larious listening to political radio try and talk football today on Sams, and try (without knowing anything about football) to make a case for why the only reason Sams was cut was "homophobia". /shrug.

Yes, it must suck to be drafted, then given a second chance. Not right now he isn't. He's a college-level talent tweener who offers no flexabillity as a third stringer on the D-line as he only plays rush DE, can't play NFL LB, and doesn't play Specials. His stats were almost all against the Future Meat Cutters Union of the NFL (i.e. 3rd and 4th string guys also now cut). That fame is the only reason he was drafted. The same NFL that gave Tebow, Vick, Ray Lewis, a drunk driving hit-and-running WR and a wife beating Raven second (or more) chances?Please. NFL teams will deal with any distraction.....if you're worth it on the field.Sams isn't. Yes, the only reason this guy gets the attention he does is because he is a homosexual. Which is fine, but being homosexual isn't a reason to keep a guy on an NFL roster.He either needs to be a MUCH better pass rush DE, bulk up massively so he can play DE & DT, or play the ever living **** out of specials a la a former Bill we might mention.Otherwise he's just another guy too small and slow to play in the pros who was really good in the minors.Sports is full of these guys, most never get their name mentioned, because most aren't homosexual and milking it for all it's worth to get chances his talent doesn't neccessarily warrant.It was hi-larious listening to political radio try and talk football today on Sams, and try (without knowing anything about football) to make a case for why the only reason Sams was cut was "homophobia". /shrug.

political radio, stop doing that to yourself man

Archived