Beer Snob Thread (Craft beer)

Morrissey

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate the people who are beer snobs.  Nothing better than drinking and trying new things.  I tried to dabble in it a bit... then realized that I just dont have the taste for all these craft brews.  

I really dont like IPA's.  They just taste gross.  I've tried many types and none of them would I consider again.  And anything that tastes burnt or like caramel are an immediate no for me.

So I've pretty much become a beer fruit because I really like my easy drinking fruity beers like Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, Wachusett Blueberry, Blue Moon & Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

My local packy of course offers make-your-own 6pks and every once in a while I try some new things...  but there are so many friggin choices! I would spend an hour there just looking up on phone what beers I would probably like.

So have fun with your beer.  It is a great time for the beer snob.  And if anyone needs something from Mass just let me know.

I appreciate the people who are beer snobs.  Nothing better than drinking and trying new things.  I tried to dabble in it a bit... then realized that I just dont have the taste for all these craft brews.  

I really dont like IPA's.  They just taste gross.  I've tried many types and none of them would I consider again.  And anything that tastes burnt or like caramel are an immediate no for me.

So I've pretty much become a beer fruit because I really like my easy drinking fruity beers like Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, Wachusett Blueberry, Blue Moon & Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

My local packy of course offers make-your-own 6pks and every once in a while I try some new things...  but there are so many friggin choices! I would spend an hour there just looking up on phone what beers I would probably like.

So have fun with your beer.  It is a great time for the beer snob.  And if anyone needs something from Mass just let me know.

If that's the type of beer you like, try Bell's Oberon - it's basically what Blue Moon is attempting to be while failing miserably.

If that's the type of beer you like, try Bell's Oberon - it's basically what Blue Moon is attempting to be while failing miserably.

funny, I had Oberon for the first time this year(they started distribution in NY) Hopslam is really good, but after the first sip of Oberon all I could think of is Blue Moon. Most summer beers are terrible. Anderson Valley is one I really enjoy, but I usually just get session IPAs in the summer months.

I started homebrewing in about 1994.  I've tasted many styles, and I like most of them.  I wanted you guys to know my beer pedigree before I make this heretical assertion:  IPAs suck.  They taste like Grapefruit and Lemon juice, filtered through a gym sock.

If someone offers me an IPA, I'd rather just order something good, then slap myself in the face with every sip.   I realize I'm not cool anymore for having said this, but I can make a good case for my opinion.

Sherman, set the wayback machine.  It's the 1800s or something.  India is a British colony, with troops on the ground.  The crown wants to send the troops beer, but the heat is intense. The beer goes bad on the trip. They hadn't invented formaldehyde yet (which would have tasted better) but someone made a discovery:  Hops can become a preservative if you use enough to kill a horse. Sure, it will taste like sucking the ink out of a pen, but it won't rot in a hot boat.

So, how did a hastily designed preservative method become something that tastes good?  It didn't.  It tastes like crap.

Belgians, Wheats, stouts, any lager with hallertau hops,  all good.  IPAs however, aren't what the ancient Egyptians had in mind so I give them a pass.

Stay tuned for my next diatribe:  Did you eat paste as a kid?  You still can, but now we call it 'Greek yogurt'.

You're lucky I don't give you a warning point for this post!  :mad0222:

I love my IPAs. I developed the taste for hoppy beers back when I was homebrewing. Experimenting with chinooks for flavor rather than just bitterness, northern brewers, dry-hopping with cascades. I love all that stuff. Sometimes they can get a little out of hand (like the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ales of a few years back) and taste like you're drinking a tree, but overall I find that the good brewers are finding a nice balance. Give Dogfishhead's Burton Baton a try, and try to tell me that's not a delicious beer. 

Now you fruits who put fruit in your beer...  we have an issue, there. Reinheitsgebot, ftw!

Warfish has his whiskey thread, I got my beer thread.

Earlier today I picked up my treat for this first football weekend.

imagejpg1_zps88cfc4fd.jpg

imagejpg2_zps39937527.jpg

Tonight I'm drinking this, NJ up and coming brewery Carton. Love them hops.

imagejpg3_zps936e699f.jpg

All great choices! Weihenstepahner is my wife's favorite. If you're ever in Atlantic Highlands, NJ, do the tour at Carton. Love their beer. We're actually leaving for Goose Island Wrigleyville in a few, going to try some brews that aren't available outside of Ill.

My friends over at Kelso in Brooklyn have been doing some limited running canning and I was over there a few weeks ago when they started doing a run of their Strong IPA which is pretty good and packs a 10% ABV.

http://www.bkmag.com/2014/07/21/now-in-cans-kelsos-boozy-and-delicious-industrial-ipa/

kelso-wide-square-1024x1024.jpg

I'll probably have a few cans of this hidden at the MNF Bears game this week if anyone comes out and wants to try some.

• 2 months later...

I'm reviving this thread because it's stout season and the Bourbon County beers came out a few weeks back. Been in Chicago for several years and I can say that this years Bourbon County beers are by far the best I've ever had. Thus far I've had:

Bourbon County Stout from the past 3 years. The bar around the corner from me tapped a few kegs of the 2012 and 2013. The aging upped the alcohol content to 15% on the 2012. Absolutely amazing.

2013 and 2014 Coffee Stout: Out of all the BC beers I think this one ages the best. The 2013 was insanely rich and the coffee really comes through after it's been sitting for that long.

2014 Barleywine: Best barleywine I've ever had and by far the best BCBW they've put out. They found a great balance between the molasses and barley this year.

2014 Vanilla Rye: By far, hands down, the best beer I have ever tasted. Just as amazing in the bottle as on tap. Landed a second 22 oz bottle that I'm aging to enjoy with a few buds next year.

And the white whale:

I landed a bottle of this year's Proprietors. People have been waiting on hours long lines for this one and I stumbled into a store at 1AM and the guy had one bottle left. Me landing it was a pure stroke of luck. I'm saving that for my birthday in a few weeks, will enjoy it with the wife and a couple good cigars.

I've kind of gotten over the seasonal pumpkin beers over the past couple years as their popularity has increased and their flavor has been compromised, I still love a good Oktoberfest beer (see: not Sam Adams), but in general I don't get too revved up for the seasonal beers anymore... except this one, this one I'm a sucker for, I just think its got a perfect flavor profile... Christmas in a bottle:

Harpoon-Winter-Warmer-Bottle-Glass.jpg?m

Last year, I actually used it as the basting liquid for the turkey I roasted... it was far and away the best turkey I've made, and I'm no slouch when it comes to cooking.

Another discovery I've made recently is from Trillium Brewery in Boston. As of now, my favorite is their Pale Ale. It's not what I typically look for in a pale ale, which may be why it took me by surprise. It's cloudy, almost chewy, compared to what I usually like (which I'll also list here). Just a fantastic beer to buy by the growler... 

trilliumphoto.jpg

This is my pale ale of choice right now. Damn near perfect for day drinking, a night out, or any occasion... just a great, great beer.

5804762047_a57e6aecbd_z_0.jpg

I prefer it over Dale's, but Dale's would still make my top 5 if doing a run-down on pale ale:

dales_pale_ale.jpg

Another that I have grown to appreciate is Pork Slap:

porkslap_pale_ale.jpg

I live about 45 minutes from that place. The Caramel Cream Ale is good too.

My parents bought a place near the one in Boynton. It's great, their Category 5 IPA is fantastic. They had a porter brewed with hot peppers the last time I was there, crazy stuff.

Get to Saltwater Brewery in Delray if you can, excellent stouts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Firestone Walker XVIII is making some rounds as of late, would suggest Googling for any tastings in your area, ditto for Founders CBS. Firestone also just announced they're releasing Parabola in a few weeks, for those who don't know is a bourbon barrel stout that certainly rivals KBS and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

The CBS hasn't been released since 2011 and it's going to be a while until they make it again. So find that too if you can.

Also scored a bottle of Deschutes Abyss today. I'd like to age it for more than a year, (brewer's rec is 11/5 of this year) hopefully I can resist the temptation after that.

Lastly Great Lakes is shipping a bourbon aged version of Blackout. If it's available this is a must buy. Very overlooked aged dark because it comes out at a busy time of the year. I have had this year's on tap and straight up it tastes like a cup of Oreos.

Archived