Austin Howard on Playing the Jets

GREENBEAN

Here is a pretty good vid of Austin Howard's and Dennis Allen's thoughts on playing the Jets.

I look forward to seeing how he holds up playing the Jets front 7.

sorry about the link and not embeding it.  GFY

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Behind-Enemy-Lines-Oakland-Raiders/cb39c8ed-11ac-4e93-b99d-0ed8e6bfe7f3

Here is a pretty good vid of Austin Howard's and Dennis Allen's thoughts on playing the Jets.

I look forward to seeing how he holds up playing the Jets front 7.

sorry about the link and not embeding it.  GFY

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Behind-Enemy-Lines-Oakland-Raiders/cb39c8ed-11ac-4e93-b99d-0ed8e6bfe7f3

he is going to get an advanced education dealing with Wilk and Sheldon. Might have to earn all that money that he was overpaid.

Would be funny if Wilkerson runs over this $8M pass blocker on his way to meet Derek Carr.

(The opposite would be less amusing, though.)

That would indeed be delightful.  Let's not forget though that Howard was able to handle Mario Williams more than once. The guy isn't a complete slouch. 

This should be a good matchup but I think our D line will love seeing him on the opposite side and take even pleasure in his being the chest they step on en route to crushing the noob behind center.  

( the opposite would be terrible)

That would indeed be delightful.  Let's not forget though that Howard was able to handle Mario Williams more than once. The guy isn't a complete slouch. 

This should be a good matchup but I think our D line will love seeing him on the opposite side and take even pleasure in his being the chest they step on en route to crushing the noob behind center.  

( the opposite would be terrible)

Never said he was a slouch. I thought he was fine. Was ok with bringing him back for his worth, but was also ok with not re-signing him for that amount.

Never said he was a slouch. I thought he was fine. Was ok with bringing him back for his worth, but was also ok with not re-signing him for that amount.

Agreed.   This is like a little added bonus for me. That matchup is going to be fun to watch. I believe we will prevail and he will watch helplessly as Sheldon and Wilk run past him toward his QB more than once. 

he is going to get an advanced education dealing with Wilk and Sheldon. Might have to earn all that money that he was overpaid.

It's gonna be a fun matchup. I also think our guys are gonna end up winning the day though.  

Would be funny if Wilkerson runs over this $8M pass blocker on his way to meet Derek Carr.(The opposite would be less amusing, though.)

Every week Austin Howard gets better and better at guard. the Raiders will run more behing Rookie Lg Gabe Jackson. watch out Sheldon Richardson - better be careful you don't get pancaked. https://vine.co/v/OuhUAAEIFea

Every week Austin Howard gets better and better at guard. the Raiders will run more behing Rookie Lg Gabe Jackson. watch out Sheldon Richardson - better be careful you don't get pancaked. https://vine.co/v/OuhUAAEIFea

I only see one guy he's pushing around there, 6-0, 240 lbs. Bobby Wagner.  The clip ended before the other 2 guys really arrived.

I don't foresee 6-3, 295 lbs Richardson getting "pancaked".

Holy crap I hope the Jets just forfeit, as it will be too much for my eyes to handle.

And it's not like we haven't all seen a 100x more Austin Howard than you have. In live action, no less. He's fine. Nothing great, but certainly not a train wreck either. If he becomes a much better player than he's been, at a new position to boot, then good for you guys. Otherwise, he was fine as a $1M 2 years ago, then $3M last year, not at $8M for this season alone.

Holy crap I hope the Jets just forfeit, as it will be too much for my eyes to handle.

And it's not like we haven't all seen a 100x more Austin Howard than you have. In live action, no less. He's fine. Nothing great, but certainly not a train wreck either. If he becomes a much better player than he's been, at a new position to boot, then good for you guys. Otherwise, he was fine as a $1M 2 years ago, then $3M last year, not at $8M for this season alone.

To just look at the contract(Austin Howard) and you aren't understand the 90 % spending rule that all teams must hit in a four year period. The Raiders gutting the roster in 2013 (55 million of dead cap money). They had by far the most money to play with in Fa this year, and had to catch up from not spending anything in 2013. you don't reach that ninety percent spending limit, everyone on the roster gets paid till you reach it.( wasted money that could have went to adding talent to roster)

The fact is you can look to the Raiders the next two seasons paying free agents way more there first year , and the contract gets very friendly after that.( they have to do that to reach 90 percent spending limit). The Raiders cap situation is in great shape, as they can have anywhere from 60 to 100 million in cap space next free agency.

So come next free agency when Raiders sign a Fa and give him so much money up front the first year, than it becomes very cap friendly . it's not stupidity or insanity, but what they must do to fulfill that 90% spending limit. Every Fa contract the Raiders gave except Howard( technical error) there is a way to get out of contract with no cap hit. again there Cap in Great shape going forward and it's immaterial how much they give up player in his first year.( if you can easily afford it).

The other way is giving big signing bonus up front , and be stuck with big dead money if that player doesn't work out for you. Paying the money up front, keeps your cap in great shape going forward, by letting you get out of a contract of a free agent contract that doesn't work out.

Btw Raiders still have 10 million left over. They don't spend it they can roll it over to next year cap.( that's 10 million + 60 to 100 million they have to spend next year). Laugh all you want about Howard contract all you want, but they know what they are doing.

To just look at the contract(Austin Howard) and you aren't understand the 90 % spending rule that all teams must hit in a four year period. The Raiders gutting the roster in 2013 (55 million of dead cap money). They had by far the most money to play with in Fa this year, and had to catch up from not spending anything in 2013. you don't reach that ninety percent spending limit, everyone on the roster gets paid till you reach it.( wasted money that could have went to adding talent to roster)

The fact is you can look to the Raiders the next two seasons paying free agents way more there first year , and the contract gets very friendly after that.( they have to do that to reach 90 percent spending limit). The Raiders cap situation is in great shape, as they can have anywhere from 60 to 100 million in cap space next free agency.

So come next free agency when Raiders sign a Fa and give him so much money up front the first year, than it becomes very cap friendly . it's not stupidity or insanity, but what they must do to fulfill that 90% spending limit. Every Fa contract the Raiders gave except Howard( technical error) there is a way to get out of contract with no cap hit. again there Cap in Great shape going forward and it's immaterial how much they give up player in his first year.( if you can easily afford it).

The other way is giving big signing bonus up front , and be stuck with big dead money if that player doesn't work out for you. Paying the money up front, keeps your cap in great shape going forward, by letting you get out of a contract of a free agent contract that doesn't work out.

Btw Raiders still have 10 million left over. They don't spend it they can roll it over to next year cap.( that's 10 million + 60 to 100 million they have to spend next year). Laugh all you want about Howard contract all you want, but they know what they are doing.

I understand the cap perfectly well, as the Jets are in even better shape than Oakland in that regard.. And Austin Howard was an above-market contract.

Props for writing so much in your post. I'm a big fan of that. You have no idea.

Archived