Pressure on Belichick?

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

I heard a spot on the radio the other day regarding which coaches are under the most pressure.  The usual suspects came up:  Rex Ryan, Jason Garrett, Mike Smith, Marvin Lewis and even Tom Coughlin.  It got me thinking...

Belichick is considered by some to be the greatest head coach ever.  Yet he hasn't won since Spygate.  He hasn't won in a decade, even though he has had a HoF QB in his prime (Brady), a couple tremendous WR's (Moss, Welker), the best TE in the league (Gronk), always dominates the draft, etc.  Now he has Revis, another HoF player, on his roster.

My question is this:

Has Belichick actually underperformed, considering all the talent he's had on his teams?  How long does he have to go without winning another one, considering the talent on his roster and his own coaching reputation, for him to begin to receive criticism and be judged to have underperformed?

Or does he have a lifetime pass, regardless of performance, because of his three rings (albeit controversial with the spying allegations)?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard a spot on the radio the other day regarding which coaches are under the most pressure.  The usual suspects came up:  Rex Ryan, Jason Garrett, Mike Smith, Marvin Lewis and even Tom Coughlin.  It got me thinking...

Belichick is considered by some to be the greatest head coach ever.  Yet he hasn't won since Spygate.  He hasn't won in a decade, even though he has had a HoF QB in his prime (Brady), a couple tremendous WR's (Moss, Welker), the best TE in the league (Gronk), always dominates the draft, etc.  Now he has Revis, another HoF player, on his roster.

My question is this:

Has Belichick actually underperformed, considering all the talent he's had on his teams?  How long does he have to go without winning another one, considering the talent on his roster and his own coaching reputation, for him to begin to receive criticism and be judged to have underperformed?

Or does he have a lifetime pass, regardless of performance, because of his three rings (albeit controversial with the spying allegations)?

Always find the press and their favorites interesting.

Bellichick has 3 SB rings. He's untouchable.

Coughlin has two and is always on the hot seat having to prove himself.

While Coughlins two SB wins are over Bellichick and his heavily favored, superior Pats teams.

Coughlin out coaches Bellichick twice. Coughlin has to prove himself while too many call Bellichick one of the best ever

How exactly does that make sense?

Well if they don't win this year, they're on a downward slope for years to come. We know that, they know that. That's why they've built their team up this year; for Brady's last 'good' year.

Edit: Broncos are doing the same thing. The AFC championship is going to be a rematch of them. But after this year, dominance is up for grabs, just as we're coming up! 

While Coughlins two SB wins are over Bellichick and his heavily favored, superior Pats teams.

Coughlin out coaches Bellichick twice. Coughlin has to prove himself while too many call Bellichick one of the best ever

Coughlin-

2013- 7-9

2012-9-7

2011-9-7- soupybowl

2010-10-6

2009-8-8

Made the playoffs one time in 5 years... and won the super bowl. that could be the reason he is always on the hot seat

New England-- last time they had less than double digit wins was 2002.  Last missed playoffs in 2008.  

Belichek can live out the rest of his natural life as HC of the NE Pats. He has 3 rings and has created the fearsome monster that the Pats have become. Before him, the Pats were an afterthought. There is no hotseat for him...he's got a lifetime pass. Let's drop this hotseat BS.

We all know the cast of characters on the hotseat.

LL

Belli will retire as soon as Brady is done. He was horrible without Brady and knows he cant win without him. 

I was thinking this last night, until this thought popped into my head - "Mo Lewis gave Belicheat Brady and turned him into a 'great' coach. What if Mo Wilkerson takes out Brady and gives Beli Garoppolo and he breaks all Brady's records?" Beli would stay for 10 more years! I ended up with night sweats.

I think you could argue that Belichick (or Brady, really, since he's pulling it off) has overachieved. the Patriots' drafts and defenses have ranged mostly from average to horrific (with some exceptions - Gronk for example) for years now, and at times even the offense is only held together by Brady's strength of will. The spectrum of incompetence shown by the Jets, Bills, and Fish have also contributed.

I think California Jet is right - when Brady goes, Belichick won't be far behind. He'd have been gone years ago if it weren't for Brady.

Coughlin-

2013- 7-9

2012-9-7

2011-9-7- soupybowl

2010-10-6

2009-8-8

Made the playoffs one time in 5 years... and won the super bowl. that could be the reason he is always on the hot seat

New England-- last time they had less than double digit wins was 2002.  Last missed playoffs in 2008.

I get the difference. But there are plenty of factors. Still in head to head competition, Bellichick heading the better teams Coughlin is 2-0. There not considered by most to be in the same league. I find that interesting. Especially when guys like Carroll and Tomlin are immediately brought up as the leagues best

Mo Lewis...whyy whyyyyy whyyyyyyyyy!

That's my usual measured response every time i think of that hit on Bledsoe.

Because every time the Jets try to shaft the Pats it comes back to kick them in the nutsack.

Stealing Parcells resulted in Belichick telling the Jets FU and going to NE.

Weaseling Curtis Martin from NE resulted in a HOF RB who disappeared for the Jets in big games.

Mo Lew nuff said.

Jumping ahead of NE to steal Vern Goldston.

The Mangina

Trading Revis off to Tampa then Revis lands right in NEs lap.

Because every time the Jets try to shaft the Pats it comes back to kick them in the nutsack.

Stealing Parcells resulted in Belichick telling the Jets FU and going to NE.

Weaseling Curtis Martin from NE resulted in a HOF RB who disappeared for the Jets in big games.

Mo Lew nuff said.

Jumping ahead of NE to steal Vern Goldston.

The Mangina

Trading Revis off to Tampa then Revis lands right in NEs lap.

Are you for real. GFY!

You do realize that no team in the NFL over the last 10 years has won more regular and post-season games than the Pats????

This.

I see Darth Belli under no pressure of any kind, ever. Or close enough to it.

Before he faces a time of "pressure" to win or be fired, he'll have already long since retired.

Belichek can live out the rest of his natural life as HC of the NE Pats. He has 3 rings and has created the fearsome monster that the Pats have become. Before him, the Pats were an afterthought. There is no hotseat for him...he's got a lifetime pass. Let's drop this hotseat BS.

We all know the cast of characters on the hotseat.

LL

The Pats knocked on the Super Bowl door every 10 years or so prior.

1976 they got screwed vs Oakland by Ref Ben Drieth. The Pats had a great team that season.

1985 they unfortunately had to face off vs the best defense in the history of the NFL in the Super Bowl.

1996 they faced Green Bay in the Super Bowl with Tuna secretly negotiating with the Jets during media week for his next job.

It is time to win another World Championship though.

Well if they don't win this year, they're on a downward slope for years to come. We know that, they know that. That's why they've built their team up this year; for Brady's last 'good' year.

Edit: Broncos are doing the same thing. The AFC championship is going to be a rematch of them. But after this year, dominance is up for grabs, just as we're coming up!

I agree with this. We have a lot of strong and teams making their last hurrah. If we have a good year/strong offseason we really can compete for years to come. This all rides on Geno being half decent.

My question is this:

The short answer is: "Yes."

You do realize that no team in the NFL over the last 10 years has won more regular and post-season games than the Pats????

Yea, BB should get his ass fired immediately.

I just wonder what kind of coach he'd be without Brady. Probably not all that great, probably would have lasted 2 years, then got fired. But who knows.

The Pats knocked on the Super Bowl door every 10 years or so prior.

1976 they got screwed vs Oakland by Ref Ben Drieth. The Pats had a great team that season.

1985 they unfortunately had to face off vs the best defense in the history of the NFL in the Super Bowl.

1996 they faced Green Bay in the Super Bowl with Tuna secretly negotiating with the Jets during media week for his next job.

It is time to win another World Championship though.

I love how you conveniently forgot to mention that prior to Belichick stumbling over Brady that had not won a single championship in 41 years of existence. 

I just wonder what kind of coach he'd be without Brady. Probably not all that great, probably would have lasted 2 years, then got fired. But who knows.

We'll never know, probably goes when Tom retires. We have clues given his days in Cleveland but that's it.

He gets credit for his record, nothing can change that.

I get the difference. But there are plenty of factors. Still in head to head competition, Bellichick heading the better teams Coughlin is 2-0. There not considered by most to be in the same league. I find that interesting. Especially when guys like Carroll and Tomlin are immediately brought up as the leagues best

so what he's beaten Belichick twice?  His record over the past 5 years isnt that great.  that is all that matter, not that he beat belichicks team twice.

If he made the playoffs most years he wouldnt be on the hot seat.  but he doesnt.  Once in 5 years isnt good.

so what he's beaten Belichick twice?  His record over the past 5 years isnt that great.  that is all that matter, not that he beat belichicks team twice.

If he made the playoffs most years he wouldnt be on the hot seat.  but he doesnt.  Once in 5 years isnt good.

You're kind of missing the point. I'm not defending him or promoting him.

I'm not a fan of either guy But I will say this, Bill has better teams than Tom, has had an easier division most years and when they' be been on the same field has out coached Bill. No matter what the regular season differences are. As I said, interesting how one gets killed most of the time, the other is bulletproof.

Well, Belichick has been to 5 SB's, who knows how many conf championships and has won the division something like 11 out of last 13 years. (and i believe lost on tiebreakers the 2 times they didn't)

COughlin has had down years, belichick has not

You're kind of missing the point. I'm not defending him or promoting him.

I'm not a fan of either guy But I will say this, Bill has better teams than Tom, has had an easier division most years and when they' be been on the same field has out coached Bill. No matter what the regular season differences are. As I said, interesting how one gets killed most of the time, the other is bulletproof.

and as Ive said...  Coughlin gets killed because he's been to the playoffs once in 5 years.

Belichick hasnt had a season with less than 10 wins since 2002 so he gets a pass for his teams not winning it all because they are in the hunt every year.

With that being said...  Belichick and his overcoaching in playoffs is what kills them every year.  He thinks hes a bigger genius than he really is

Besides the Super Bowl years, the Giants haven't been good and sometime downright dreadful. Meanwhile Bellicheck hasn't had a losing season in over a decade.

So yes he gets a lifetime pass starting when he finally has a down year. But he hasn't gotten any passes yet because he's always good.

Archived