2014-2015 New York Islanders

Big L

I heard Lubo might be back soon.  They seem to be playing good without him.  I'd hate to mess up the chemistry.

I would not be too concerned -- I am assuming that he would be replacing Strait, who hasn't looked very good in the early going.  

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Mcdonald makes his season debut -- replacing Grabo.  Still have not seen any word on extent of Grabo injury (other than no concussion) or how long he could be out:

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday  8m8 minutes ago
Looks like Kulemin-Nelson-Strome, Bailey-Nielsen-Clutterbuck and Martin-Cizikas-McDonald for #Isles tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

They better get out of this funk fast because they are playing some bad hockey right now.

I agree.  Its early, but they are looking an awful lot like last year.  Terrible penalty killing, below average goaltending, and needing to score 3+ goals in order to win games.  I wonder if Cappy is on a short leash at this point -- we cant fall out of contention in November again, can we?

I agree. Its early, but they are looking an awful lot like last year. Terrible penalty killing, below average goaltending, and needing to score 3+ goals in order to win games. I wonder if Cappy is on a short leash at this point -- we cant fall out of contention in November again, can we?

I hope Cappy is on a short leash. I believe he had two losing streaks and he would be out assuming they get out of their current one.

It doesn't look pretty.  Two tough games coming up.  Would not be surprised if the Isles lose both.

Cappy should be on a sort leash.  Although I doubt it if he is.  Who's there to pilot the ship anyway?  Now would be the best time to fire him, though.  While the season is still young.  Hopefully Garf has someone in mind.  Not Bylsma.

Didn't Philly fire their coach like 8 games in last season?

It doesn't look pretty.  Two tough games coming up.  Would not be surprised if the Isles lose both.

Cappy should be on a sort leash.  Although I doubt it if he is.  Who's there to pilot the ship anyway?  Now would be the best time to fire him, though.  While the season is still young.  Hopefully Garf has someone in mind.  Not Bylsma.

Didn't Philly fire their coach like 8 games in last season?

This is the first time that I really think the end may be near for Cappy.  With all of the moves this team made in the offseason, they are expected to win now.  We cannot afford another lost November where we fall well out of the playoff picture and need a near miracle to eek out an 8th seed.  With the roster upgrades, if we keep losing games the way we did last year -- poor play in our own zone, terrible penalty killing, below average goaltending -- then I can see a move being made sooner rather than later.

I don't recall Philly firing their coach that early in a season, but I do remember the Blackhawks firing Denis Savard and bringing Joel Quenneville in a week or two after the season started about 5 or 6 years ago and that worked out pretty well for them.

Hopefully we can get a win tonight in Anaheim and get back on track.

Go Isles!!!

This is the first time that I really think the end may be near for Cappy.  With all of the moves this team made in the offseason, they are expected to win now.  We cannot afford another lost November where we fall well out of the playoff picture and need a near miracle to eek out an 8th seed.  With the roster upgrades, if we keep losing games the way we did last year -- poor play in our own zone, terrible penalty killing, below average goaltending -- then I can see a move being made sooner rather than later.

I don't recall Philly firing their coach that early in a season, but I do remember the Blackhawks firing Denis Savard and bringing Joel Quenneville in a week or two after the season started about 5 or 6 years ago and that worked out pretty well for them.

Hopefully we can get a win tonight in Anaheim and get back on track.

Go Isles!!!

I had to now look it up - I think Laviolette was canned in Philly last year after THREE games.

Well they at least salvaged their road trip so I want to see solid hockey the rest of November. I believe this month could be telling on whether they are for real or not...

If they have 30 points by Thanksgiving, they might be for real.

Hopefully they can keep up the solid 60 minutes of play at home.  IIRC, they were better on the road last year than at home.

Well they at least salvaged their road trip so I want to see solid hockey the rest of November. I believe this month could be telling on whether they are for real or not...

Agree - turned out to be a good road trip after an awful start.  I am in off the ledge now.  

Trying to find a weekend in March to come in for one last visit to the Coliseum - as a former season ticket holder, I need to get back there one last time before the move to Brooklyn.  

Agree - turned out to be a good road trip after an awful start. I am in off the ledge now.

Trying to find a weekend in March to come in for one last visit to the Coliseum - as a former season ticket holder, I need to get back there one last time before the move to Brooklyn.

It was better hockey at least in their own zone/PK but it has to get better. I don't want to see a flat team tomorrow!

Great game last night -- certainly some payback for what Colorado did to us last week in their building.  2nd straight shutout for Halak and I love the balanced scoring - 6 goals and only one from the top line, the Kulemin shorty. Additions of Kulemin, Grabo, Leddy, Boychuk and the 2 goalies are all paying off right now.

These guys are a lot of fun to watch.

Not sure yet but the rest of this month may tell us. Big win tonight!

I agree - big win for a couple of reasons.  Good teams find ways to win on nights when they don't play well and after that sh!tshow of a 3rd period and OT, we still found a way to get it done in the shootout.  Halak bounced back big time after allowing a soft goal to tie--I think he faced 9 shots including some great chances in the OT.  With home and homes with Tampa and Pitt coming up, they could not afford to give up a point against a team like the Panthers, especially after having a 2-goal lead in the 3rd.

I agree - big win for a couple of reasons. Good teams find ways to win on nights when they don't play well and after that sh!tshow of a 3rd period and OT, we still found a way to get it done in the shootout. Halak bounced back big time after allowing a soft goal to tie--I think he faced 9 shots including some great chances in the OT. With home and homes with Tampa and Pitt coming up, they could not afford to give up a point against a team like the Panthers, especially after having a 2-goal lead in the 3rd.

Considering some believe it was an ugly game they didn't get stuck in their own zone for extended periods so that is promising. Like you stated the penalties and lazy 3rd period was the crux.

Tonight is just another step in the process but I hope we can eventually stop talking about consistency and expecting good hockey on a daily basis!

Not a good showing vs. Tampa on Saturday.

Hopefully tonight the NYR/Tampa game will be a 60 minute all out slug fest (Tampa wins, 4-3), and then the Isles return the favor to Tampa on Tuesday and whoop 'em 5-2.

Not a good showing vs. Tampa on Saturday.

Hopefully tonight the NYR/Tampa game will be a 60 minute all out slug fest (Tampa wins, 4-3), and then the Isles return the favor to Tampa on Tuesday and whoop 'em 5-2.

Not bad, not bad.....  lets see what happens here...

..then I win the Powerball jackpot.

Archived