Motorcycles...we have whiskey, dogs, beer and boats covered so how about

Kleckineau

What motorcycle you ride.

Me, I ride a 2011 HD Road King. I started on dirt bikes and have been riding since 14 years old. I have owned a motorcycle by most major manufacturers at one time or another. To mention a few, 1st road bike was a Honda CB750 Four, Harley Sportster (2), Kawasaki 1100, Triumph Bonneville, Harley Heritage Softail. Multiple dirt bikes through the years. Wont do it anymore but I rode from NY to Fla. a bunch of times.

My Road King is a full dress, loaded up touring bike. Biggest one I've ever owned. I was riding the Heritage before this beast and at first thought I made a mistake going so big and heavy but after about a month I became used to it.

So lets hear what you have. I'm sure I am not the only biker on JN.

Nice stuff man. I see you like to go fast, Ninja fast! The Kawi Vulcans are beautiful. First street bike I ever rode was a friends CB350.

Yeah the zx6r is only 600cc but it is really a supersport race bike for the street. 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds.

It makes you do stupid stuff. I have done 90 in 3rd gear on a curvy 2 lane backroad up by Bear Mtn.

WHen i had the vulcan i was constantly leaning it over and scrapping the pegs so i went to the Bandit. Very fast bike and a great wheelie bike. Then rode a sportsbike,and i was hooked.

Yeah the zx6r is only 600cc but it is really a supersport race bike for the street. 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds.

It makes you do stupid stuff. I have done 90 in 3rd gear on a curvy 2 lane backroad up by Bear Mtn.

WHen i had the vulcan i was constantly leaning it over and scrapping the pegs so i went to the Bandit. Very fast bike and a great wheelie bike. Then rode a sportsbike,and i was hooked.

Oh yeah. I hear what your saying about doing stupid stuff. Those rockets make it very easy but damn it is a rush esp if you are an adrenalin junkie like me. A good buddy of mine has 4 nice M/Cs one being a Hayabusa. I rode it once for about 20-30 miles. Ever since that day my Road King feels like a turtle. Ride safe bro. ☺

I have two bikes currently. I have owned a motorcycle since May of 1985 when I was just shy of 19 years old. All of my bikes have been Harley-Davidson's. My first was an 1981 xls Sportster 1000 cc. I bought my first brand new bike in January of 1986 and it was an 85 Wide Glide. I put 45000 miles on it in 3 years and traded it in on a 1988 Custom Softail that I still own. It now has 98000 miles on it. Two years ago I bought a used 2009 Road King. I bought both the FXWG and the FXSTC new as left overs. Those were the days before the big Harley boom and waiting lists and you could get great deals on leftovers. Don't put on near as many miles on as once did but still enjoy getting out on the road for a couple hundred mile ride a few times a season.

I have two bikes currently. I have owned a motorcycle since May of 1985 when I was just shy of 19 years old. All of my bikes have been Harley-Davidson's. My first was an 1981 xls Sportster 1000 cc. I bought my first brand new bike in January of 1986 and it was an 85 Wide Glide. I put 45000 miles on it in 3 years and traded it in on a 1988 Custom Softail that I still own. It now has 98000 miles on it. Two years ago I bought a used 2009 Road King. I bought both the FXWG and the FXSTC new as left overs. Those were the days before the big Harley boom and waiting lists and you could get great deals on leftovers. Don't put on near as many miles on as once did but still enjoy getting out on the road for a couple hundred mile ride a few times a season.

I am a big Sportster fan having owned 2 of them. My fav was an 83 ironhead I bought with a blown motor for pocket change.

You 1988 Custom Softtail is one of the nicest HD ever made. I love the EVO motor and feel it is the best engine they ever produced. My 11 Road king has a 96" Twin Cam. Plenty of power but it runs hot and in my opinion these engines do not last as long as an EVO. I have seen EVO's run past 100K without any significant repairs.

I am a big Sportster fan having owned 2 of them. My fav was an 83 ironhead I bought with a blown motor for pocket change.

You 1988 Custom Softtail is one of the nicest HD ever made. I love the EVO motor and feel it is the best engine they ever produced. My 11 Road king has a 96" Twin Cam. Plenty of power but it runs hot and in my opinion these engines do not last as long as an EVO. I have seen EVO's run past 100K without any significant repairs.

I agree 100%. The EVO motor was the best HD ever built.Thats why Ive had mine for over 25 years and put almost 100k miles on it. As long as you could live with the 88 cube size. When you opened them up and made them bigger they shook your fillings out and lost alot of reliability. It was/is a great looking bike too. I am thinking about sending the motor back to H-D for their re manufacture program and getting it painted. It could use a little money injection. Not all the miles on the bike were easy miles but they were all great miles!!

Had 2 Nortons when I was younger a 71' 750cc Commando and this beaut  -  a 75' 850 - last year they made them:

1974_-_850_Norton_Commando_JPS.jpg

Nice rides, but I'll never own another after getting a late 90's Harley with the Evo engine and 5 speed trans.

Brit bikes were horrible in comparison - leaked oil, ran out of time, ugh ..

Nothing but HD for me.

Had 2 Nortons when I was younger a 71' 750cc Commando and this beaut  -  a 75' 850 - last year they made them:

1974_-_850_Norton_Commando_JPS.jpg

Nice rides, but I'll never own another after getting a late 90's Harley with the Evo engine and 5 speed trans.

Brit bikes were horrible in comparison - leaked oil, ran out of time, ugh ..

Nothing but HD for me.

My 88 was the first 5 speed i owned and it was long over do from Harley. The 4 speed just did not have enough range and just felt like you were always winding it out on the hiway. My 09 has a six speed, not that much different in traffic but a huge difference on the hiway and at top end riding.

Anyone ever owned a Triumph Bonneville? I've been thinking about buying an older model for a cheap ride around the city. Can find them real cheap all over and the reviews are pretty good. Great looking bikes IMO.

The fact that there are so many of them still around and that they are cheap must mean they shipped alot of them into the country back then because they cut alot of them up and made choppers out of them from the mid 60's till the early 80's. They did make a good looking chopper and parts and the bikes themselves cost alot less than a Harley. They are neat bikes and fairly simple and easy to work on.

Anyone ever owned a Triumph Bonneville? I've been thinking about buying an older model for a cheap ride around the city. Can find them real cheap all over and the reviews are pretty good. Great looking bikes IMO.

The fact that there are so many of them still around and that they are cheap must mean they shipped alot of them into the country back then because they cut alot of them up and made choppers out of them from the mid 60's till the early 80's. They did make a good looking chopper and parts and the bikes themselves cost alot less than a Harley. They are neat bikes and fairly simple and easy to work on.

I have a feeling the "old" Bonnevilles that Rutgers is talking about are much newer than the Bonnevilles we remember people making choppers from.  The 60's Bonnevilles are probably going for more than the 2000's and I would guess that Rutgers is looking at mid-2000's bikes.  I have never ridden one, but there were tons of them in Milan. 

1975 Yamaha TY-80, 1972 Suzuki TS-185, 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 1977 Harley XLCR (never rode it :(), 1982 Moto Guzzi Imola 350.

It still have the first three bikes in various states of disrepair.  I am currently lusting after an MV Agusta Brutale 800 with a red frame, but think I am going to put that money towards a Hellcat Challenger.   

My 88 was the first 5 speed i owned and it was long over do from Harley. The 4 speed just did not have enough range and just felt like you were always winding it out on the hiway. My 09 has a six speed, not that much different in traffic but a huge difference on the hiway and at top end riding.

I have a feeling the "old" Bonnevilles that Rutgers is talking about are much newer than the Bonnevilles we remember people making choppers from.  The 60's Bonnevilles are probably going for more than the 2000's and I would guess that Rutgers is looking at mid-2000's bikes.  I have never ridden one, but there were tons of them in Milan. 

1975 Yamaha TY-80, 1972 Suzuki TS-185, 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 1977 Harley XLCR (never rode it :(), 1982 Moto Guzzi Imola 350.

It still have the first three bikes in various states of disrepair.  I am currently lusting after an MV Agusta Brutale 800 with a red frame, but think I am going to put that money towards a Hellcat Challenger.   

I've seen a lot online as choppers but this is a '72. Seen a ton that can be had for anywhere from $2-4,000 in good condition. The mid 2000s models also go for very affordable also.

72Tri-T120-R3.jpg

I'm not sure why there are so many but they can really be found cheap, even in great condition. I think it's the Harley/speed bike craze, but then again I'm not an expert in this area so who knows.  BTW I'm also cool getting a Trophy, specs are very similar. Both would enable me to channel my inner McQueen. Gorgeous bikes IMO.

00k0k_39JwegPtPCa_600x450.jpg

I've seen a lot online as choppers but this is a '72. Seen a ton that can be had for anywhere from $2-4,000 in good condition. The mid 2000s models also go for very affordable also.

72Tri-T120-R3.jpg

I'm not sure why there are so many but they can really be found cheap, even in great condition. I think it's the Harley/speed bike craze, but then again I'm not an expert in this area so who knows.  BTW I'm also cool getting a Trophy, specs are very similar. Both would enable me to channel my inner McQueen. Gorgeous bikes IMO.

Rutgers - if you're going to spend 4 g's on something  - you can get a Sportster with the Evo engine in good shape for that kind of money.

Time was people bought Harleys because of the sound and prestige over other bikes - now that's flip flopped into buying them for dependability and low maintenance vs. their British and Italian counterparts (Japanese bikes are still probably the best bet for those qualities)

I wasnt kidding when I said these things are painful  - Lucas ignition systems are deplorable. Today's Harley' don't leak and start right up for the most part. I'd recommend them for the reliability over any other quality they have.  

Rutgers, I had a 72 Bonneville 650 T120 It was a joy to ride, handled like no other and was pretty darn fast. (Not nearly as fast as NJ's Nortons) Those old Brit bikes sure looked good. I especially liked the BSA 650 Lightning but never got to own one.

NJ pointed out some of the downsides to the older Brit bikes and my experience with this one while generally good, there was one problem that kept recurring. Exhaust leaks right at the cylinder head would happen every few thousand miles. Seems the vibration was just a bit too much to keep a tight seal and metal would burn off. It did leak a bit of oil also. Parts were easy to get and I didnt mind turning a wrench back then so all in all wasnt a bad bike.

Triumph was out of biz for quite a few years but came back. I dont know much about the newer gen bikes except that they look and sound great.

Wish BSA could come back also. Maybe someday who knows.

72Tri-T120-R3.jpg

Wow, so you did like the old ones.  I never owned a Triumph or any Brit bike, but do you want to turn a wrench?  They are cool, but you are going to have to.  I still don't mind it, but if my stuff doesn't work, I just wait until next week.  Based on your electrical skills (apartment) I would probably vote no on your behalf. 

Wow, so you did like the old ones. I never owned a Triumph or any Brit bike, but do you want to turn a wrench? They are cool, but you are going to have to. I still don't mind it, but if my stuff doesn't work, I just wait until next week. Based on your electrical skills (apartment) I would probably vote no on your behalf.

LOL, touché.

And thanks NJ, I was not aware they had those types of problems.

Rutgers, I had a 72 Bonneville 650 T120 It was a joy to ride, handled like no other and was pretty darn fast. (Not nearly as fast as NJ's Nortons) Those old Brit bikes sure looked good. I especially liked the BSA 650 Lightning but never got to own one.

NJ pointed out some of the downsides to the older Brit bikes and my experience with this one while generally good, there was one problem that kept recurring. Exhaust leaks right at the cylinder head would happen every few thousand miles. Seems the vibration was just a bit too much to keep a tight seal and metal would burn off. It did leak a bit of oil also. Parts were easy to get and I didnt mind turning a wrench back then so all in all wasnt a bad bike.

Triumph was out of biz for quite a few years but came back. I dont know much about the newer gen bikes except that they look and sound great.

Wish BSA could come back also. Maybe someday who knows.

Kleck - one of the joys of those Nortons was the iso-lastic suspension system. I could take a corner with my foot pegs about 4" from hitting pavement - real cafe racer stuff.

The 750 was the fastest stock bike at the time - it flat whipped and handled like a dream (no mistake they used TR6 Trophy's in the Great Escape McQueen scenes)

The 850 had the compression ratio lowered down about 20% so it wasn't as fast as the 750 but it was sure fun to ride.

I would hope they (Triumph) have straightened out the ignition and engine electronics with their bikes in the new millennium - I've just gotten real spoiled by walking into the garage, turning the key, pressing the starter button, and riding out without having to avoid any oil leaked on the floor - cause there is none.

Wow, so you did like the old ones.  I never owned a Triumph or any Brit bike, but do you want to turn a wrench?  They are cool, but you are going to have to.  I still don't mind it, but if my stuff doesn't work, I just wait until next week.  Based on your electrical skills (apartment) I would probably vote no on your behalf.

Those are definitely some great lookin bikes. I love almost all old motorcycles but those 60's Brit bikes styling kinda defined an era in bikes. I also find it interesting how much Harley, Triumph and even the new Indians are designed to look old. I guess that classic look never goes out of style. It's the best of both worlds, classic look with modern technology.

Kleck - one of the joys of those Nortons was the iso-lastic suspension system. I could take a corner with my foot pegs about 4" from hitting pavement - real cafe racer stuff.

The 750 was the fastest stock bike at the time - it flat whipped and handled like a dream (no mistake they used TR6 Trophy's in the Great Escape McQueen scenes)

The 850 had the compression ratio lowered down about 20% so it wasn't as fast as the 750 but it was sure fun to ride.

I would hope they (Triumph) have straightened out the ignition and engine electronics with their bikes in the new millennium - I've just gotten real spoiled by walking into the garage, turning the key, pressing the starter button, and riding out without having to avoid any oil leaked on the floor - cause there is none.

Those 750 Nortons were king until Kawasaki and Honda took over.  Particularly the Kawasaki 750 3 cyl 2 stroke. They were pretty sick right out of the box. I didn't care to own one though. I always felt 2 strokes belonged on the dirt.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the HD Evo motor. Best HD ever in my opinion. The only thing I ever felt was lacking on an evo motor was the carb. Putting an S&S carb on them made them start real easy, idle real low and accelerate better. My present bike has the 96" EFI Twin cam. I don't like how the EFI keeps the idle high. Cant get the desired HD low idle. Decent power but runs too hot and nowadays they have all that stupid catalytic converter garbage on them. I plan to get rid of that stuff soon.

Archived