What was the hampur?

Maxman

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone help me understand what the hampur was? Off topic forum?

OT forum where a bunch of regular guys busted each other's stones, and could talk game-day football without all the drama, homerism, and over-reaction of the main forum threads.

I'm not interested myself, but not opposed to it either. I'm curious though -- who decides which people are 'worthy'?

When boards get all 'private' and 'clubby', does that create a good overall vibe?

Because for a fresh newb, JN doesn't seem "clubby"?

JN is IMO a entire forum that operates like our Hampur did.

Sure, Newbs are welcome, but the majority are regular users, with long history together, and a ton of in-jokes, and the like. And becoming one of "them", a known Vet in on th jokes, isn't easy for a Newb.

Given how off-topic the JN Main Forum seems to get (someone described it as "stream of consciousness", which I found VERY apt!), the comparison to the Hampur becomes even more obvious to me.

As to whom deserves "worthy" status, A. the Hampur was not limited (i.e. not posting restrictions) and B. Worthy was pure community-derived. If the masses like you, you were worthy, if not, you generally got ignored. Like any forum, honestly.

To answer the OP, the Hampur was the JI version of the JN Lounge, an Off-Topic Forum. Everything else it was/is is user defined.

The Hampur.... Was it a dream?

It wasn't a dream -- it was a place.

And you Raoul -- and you Peebag-- and you Warfish -- and you Big L were there.

It was a real, truly live place. And I remember that some of it
        wasn't very nice....

...but most of it was beautiful. But just the same, all I kept saying

to everybody was, I want to go home. And they sent me to this awful

place called Scout.... so I came here instead.

wasn't very nice....

Welcome. you'll find here that we enjoy a good fart joke. and the mods are very gay. 

I'm not interested myself, but not opposed to it either. I'm curious though -- who decides which people are 'worthy'?

When boards get all 'private' and 'clubby', does that create a good overall vibe?

This page is neither private nor clubby. The old place was that way. Everyone that didn't have a 2x4 permanently lodged in their ass, came over here.

wasn't very nice....

Things not working out at NYJetsChat? 

Anyway, you're welcome here. I'm a mod/message board historian. Glad to have you aboard. 

Speaking of Jets message board history...here are a few random thoughts \ questions:

• It is amazing to think that when we launched in 2005, the question was can 3 or 4 Jets sites all survive.
  • Was usenet before people posted on JI?
  • Should we have a hampur here?

Speaking of Jets message board history...here are a few random thoughts \ questions:

• It is amazing to think that when we launched in 2005, the question was can 3 or 4 Jets sites all survive.

You can't create a Hampur, it's got to just happen, kinda like a fungus.

Yeah, Usenet predates everything. I was posting on there when AOL was my dial-up internet provider. 

As for the hampur, let's see what happens. A little more activity here wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. 

When you hit reply on the menu bar there is a picture of a picture.  You hit that and you can insert a URL.  Thanks.

I have tried that with one or two photos from Facebook but I get a message that the picture format (jpeg) is not supported.  Is there a way to upload a picture directly from my hard drive, or does it have to be from a url.

Because for a fresh newb, JN doesn't seem "clubby"?

JN is IMO a entire forum that operates like our Hampur did.

Sure, Newbs are welcome, but the majority are regular users, with long history together, and a ton of in-jokes, and the like. And becoming one of "them", a known Vet in on th jokes, isn't easy for a Newb.

Given how off-topic the JN Main Forum seems to get (someone described it as "stream of consciousness", which I found VERY apt!), the comparison to the Hampur becomes even more obvious to me.

As to whom deserves "worthy" status, A. the Hampur was not limited (i.e. not posting restrictions) and B. Worthy was pure community-derived. If the masses like you, you were worthy, if not, you generally got ignored. Like any forum, honestly.

To answer the OP, the Hampur was the JI version of the JN Lounge, an Off-Topic Forum. Everything else it was/is is user defined.

Screw you!

For some reason, the menu bar does not appear when I access the site on my ipad.

I'm also using an iPad 90% of the time here! and also don't get that menu bar. What I do to post pics is type in the HTML code myself:

[ img ]picture_url[ /img ] (remove the spaces between brackets for it to work)

The same can be used for YouTube videos if you're having a problem with them:

[ youtube ]video_url[ /youtube ]

I have tried that with one or two photos from Facebook but I get a message that the picture format (jpeg) is not supported.  Is there a way to upload a picture directly from my hard drive, or does it have to be from a url.

If you open "more reply options," you'll see the option to attach a file below the reply box. It will show up as a thumbnail in your reply.

post-5620-0-22017900-1410443114_thumb.jp

I'm also using an iPad 90% of the time here! and also don't get that menu bar. What I do to post pics is type in the HTML code myself:

[ img ]picture_url[ /img ] (remove the spaces between brackets for it to work)

The same can be used for YouTube videos if you're having a problem with them:

[ youtube ]video_url[ /youtube ]

If you open "more reply options," you'll see the option to attach a file below the reply box. It will show up as a thumbnail in your reply.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks for the help, Slats.

Still trying to get the hang of things over here.

Usenet is what message boards were before the sexy software. Back in 1994, you could talk Jets just like we do here in a forum called alt.sports.football.pro.ny-jets which one could access by using Outlook Express. So not only does it pre-date JI, pre-dates this place too. Many of the long-time JI posters were together in that usenet forum from 1994 to 2005 when the traffic nose dived due to the likes of vBulletin based Jets sites. Suddenly we were all alone, figured out where everyone had gone, we joined up and continued the conversation.

You do NOT want a The Hangar here. You know how you read about homeschooled triplets who are isolated from other babies and how they develop their own language, their own way of communicating and they block everyone else out? That's what the The Hangar was like. The worst clique of Jets fans ever, Jets fans with no friends and no lives acting like 7th graders at the cool-kids table. Now, you could say that's not a bad thing and, hey, it's contained in its own forum, but that's not what actually happened. After only a few months, that inside-joke cliquey group got bored in there and couldn't keep their alter-ego's in the The Hangar and unleashed it on the Landing Strip. Compounding matters, the site owner allowed his mods to spend 90% of their time in there and so his bread-and-butter message board was left practically unmoderated and overrun by inside-jokes and pile-on's by the friends of the mods found in the The Hangar.

I've been doing the discussion forum gig for 20 years, since 1994. Trust me on this one.

SAR I

Sad but a very true synopsis of the Hampur. Go take a look at it now, it's sad.

Usenet is what message boards were before the sexy software. Back in 1994, you could talk Jets just like we do here in a forum called alt.sports.football.pro.ny-jets which one could access by using Outlook Express. So not only does it pre-date JI, pre-dates this place too. Many of the long-time JI posters were together in that usenet forum from 1994 to 2005 when the traffic nose dived due to the likes of vBulletin based Jets sites. Suddenly we were all alone, figured out where everyone had gone, we joined up and continued the conversation.You do NOT want a The Hangar here. You know how you read about homeschooled triplets who are isolated from other babies and how they develop their own language, their own way of communicating and they block everyone else out? That's what the The Hangar was like. The worst clique of Jets fans ever, Jets fans with no friends and no lives acting like 7th graders at the cool-kids table. Now, you could say that's not a bad thing and, hey, it's contained in its own forum, but that's not what actually happened. After only a few months, that inside-joke cliquey group got bored in there and couldn't keep their alter-ego's in the The Hangar and unleashed it on the Landing Strip. Compounding matters, the site owner allowed his mods to spend 90% of their time in there and so his bread-and-butter message board was left practically unmoderated and overrun by inside-jokes and pile-on's by the friends of the mods found in the The Hangar.I've been doing the discussion forum gig for 20 years, since 1994. Trust me on this one.SAR I

Archived