In Theaters Now/Coming to a theater near you

Morrissey

I see 3-5 flicks  a week at the theater, both Mainstream and Independent/Foreign.

Been slow season now leading up to Thanksgiving thru XMAS.

Saw Boyhood this weekend, very good and a great little Indie called Land Ho, journey of late discovery for two old friends

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/land_ho/

My fault, should of figured there was a movie film.

Merge away

There should be a current flicks thread and a 'rental/old flicks' thread. The current Movies thread has lots of old stuff and I go in there looking for current 'whats in theater now' stuff. Keep your thread for current stuff (edit your thread to say' In theaters Now'), and the other thread can be used for misc discusion , rental/old flicks etc...They wont do, it makes too much sense, LOL ;)

In reference to SJ's suggestion above..

We saw "Calvary" last weekend in the theater.  Great acting, very well written, funny when it wanted to be, thin plot,  bad ending.  With a plot simple as it was, I expected way more from the ending.  

We saw "Calvary" last weekend in the theater.  Great acting, very well written, funny when it wanted to be, thin plot,  bad ending.  With a plot simple as it was, I expected way more from the ending.  

Ah, the ending was pre ordained if you get my drift. Gleeson was on his Proverbial Cross to atone for mankind

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Calvary last week, weird flick, still don't know what to think of it.

Seeing Skeleton Twins on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to the movies today me and girlfriend can't decide between gone girl and the equalizer. Of course I'm pulling for the equalizer but we'll see what happens. What's all this talk about The Judge with Robert Downey JR.? Is it supposed to be any good ?

equalizer was entertaining for sure,,gone girl one of best flicks in last few years,,The Judge was decent popcorn entertainment that was a tad 'forced'

fury was authentic foro sure,,,a tad slow,,

chef was great Indie..

saw Kill the Messenger last nite,,very good

Fury, the story of killing Nazis (pretty much what this movie is) has been done before and done better. Its authentic and beauitful visually, but the writing to me was poor.

Fury, the story of killing Nazis (pretty much what this movie is) has been done before and done better. Its authentic and beauitful visually, but the writing to me was poor.

well, most disagree, I think its pulling a  7/10 from Top respected critics (not bloggers etc), but thats cool.. I agree, War flick writing is tough if you dont put a non war element into it,, which Fury didnt. Pure Blood/Guts. When I saw pretty girl on side of road in beginning of flick, I thought 'Oh , here we go with non War thread', but nope, Tank rolled on, which in itself was a metaphor. 

Was it  best war flick ever? nah, but Top 10-15 for me anyways (remember, I am 62 and seen them all, LOL)...

Bottom Line: IMHO if you like War Movies, Fury will satiate you. 

well, most disagree, I think its pulling a 7/10 from Top respected critics (not bloggers etc), but thats cool.. I agree, War flick writing is tough if you dont put a non war element into it,, which Fury didnt. Pure Blood/Guts. When I saw pretty girl on side of road in beginning of flick, I thought 'Oh , here we go with non War thread', but nope, Tank rolled on, which in itself was a metaphor.

Was it best war flick ever? nah, but Top 10-15 for me anyways (remember, I am 62 and seen them all, LOL)...

Bottom Line: IMHO if you like War Movies, Fury will satiate you.

I see youre point, i guess i like war movies that have other elements, because the Pianist is one of my favorite movies.

I see youre point, i guess i like war movies that have other elements, because the Pianist is one of my favorite movies.

Pianist a classic I agree, but I would say most critics wouldnt classify as pure war flick cause of the many dynamics that are war related but not conflict related..Like Shcindlers List etc etc

Pure war = maybe Battle of Bulge, Longest Day,  Patton etc etc

'John Wick' was very very good. 

'St. Vincent' was 'hey good time at flick, come out feeling happy type of flick,,no awards, but feel good flick'.

'The Two Faces of January' was typical Indie, nice script, little slow at times, but nice tight thriller.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/john_wick/?search=john%20wick

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/st_vincent/?search=st.%20vince

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_two_faces_of_january/?search=two%20faces%20of

Archived