A great read on how a " marginal 2nd receiver gets open"

ComfortablyNumb

Schlereth, you still urinate on yourself......

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/09/jets_player_film_spotlight_how_did_eric_decker_fare_in_his_debut.html

Jets player film spotlight: Analyzing how Eric Decker fared in his debut vs. Raiders

Loading Photo Gallery

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on September 09, 2014 at 12:36 PM, updated September 09, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Eric Decker, the Jets' biggest free agent acquisition of the offseason, had fared quite well in his career against the Raiders.

Before coming to the Jets, Decker spent four seasons with the Broncos. He had faced the Raiders eight times before Sunday's Jets-Raiders season opener. Last season, he torched them for 133 yards. The year before, he put up 79 and 88.

Now, a lot of that had to do with the fact that the Broncos were very good the past two seasons and the Raiders were very bad. Still, Decker had enjoyed positive results against Oakland. He looked good again Sunday, in his regular season debut with the Jets. He was targeted six times and made five catches for 74 yards, with a long of 24.

Let's take a look back at the film and see if we can glean some more details of Decker's performance. After giving it a second viewing, here are some things we noticed:

• Geno Smith did not target Decker for the first time until 6:35 remained in the first half, on third-and-9 from the Jets' 21-yard line. Decker lined up on the far outside, to Smith's left. The Raiders' cornerbacks were playing off in coverage. Smith lobbed a quick screen pass out to Decker, who caught it around the 20 but was immediately swarmed, and gained just 2 yards. Nothing Decker could do with this one, as the Raiders rushed just four men and kept the rest in coverage.

• Smith went to Decker to start the Jets' next drive. It was first-and-10 from the Jets' 20. The Jets lined up with two wide receivers and one running back, with Decker to Smith's right. Smith looked to his left for a deep ball, but nothing was open. Then he turned right, where cornerback Carlos Rogers had started the play by lining up about 7 yards off the line of scrimmage, against Decker.

Decker is a surgically precise route-runner. Back in training camp, he acknowledged that he is not the fastest receiver, but said, "Technique has gotten me open more than speed." He was about to show why, on his first long gain as a Jet.

By the time Smith turned to throw to Decker, he was wide open, with Rogers about 4 yards away. How did that happen? Well, it happened because Decker ran a beautiful route. About 5 yards off the line, he stutter-stepped and turned his head and torso toward the inside of the field. This made Rogers stop in his back pedal, ever so briefly, and turn to the inside as well. Now, Decker was in control of the play.

In the image below, you can see the moment when Decker turns from a straight-ahead run, to a fake toward the inside -- and the reaction it causes from Rogers. These was a split-second part of the play, but it made a large difference.

15803681-large.png

Just an instant after Decker resumes his straight-ahead running, look how bent over and flat-footed Rogers is, after Decker's fake to the inside of the field:

15804009-large.png

This is a significant advantage for Decker as he nears the first-down marker. Just one quick turn of the head and torso has resulted in Rogers being taken out of position.

Rogers is seemingly able to recover, as he turns and starts running down the field, thinking Decker is going with a deep route. But now Rogers's back is to Decker, and Rogers is ahead of Decker, as you can see here:

15804017-large.png

Decker has almost finished off Rogers. He just needs to make one more move. And here it comes. Decker slams on the brakes and stops on a dime at the 35-yard line. Rogers can't even see him at this point. Decker is directly behind Rogers, and Rogers is going to keep running.

15804024-large.png

Decker turns back for the ball. Look at the spacing he has at this point. The ball is already halfway to Decker in this image. Rogers has zero chance of making the play on it. He can only hope to tackle Decker, who ends up securing the throw and gaining 24 yards on the play. An impressive display of route-running from Decker.

15804029-large.png

• Decker's next long gain, for 21 yards, came in the third quarter, on second-and-10 from the Jets' 48. Getting open wasn't as involved for him on this play. He was the Jets' only receiver in the formation, in the slot to Smith's right. Smith executed a play-action fake to Chris Ivory and Decker crossed the middle of the defense. He took a bump from weak-side linebacker Sio Moore as he went across the field, but stayed on his feet, caught a short pass from Smith (as a blitz was closing in on Smith) and ran toward the sideline to finish off the route. Good balance here by Decker, to stay up and in position to catch the ball.

• Decker had his final long gain, for 22 yards, in the fourth quarter, on second-and-3 from Oakland's 49. The Raiders were thinking run. They had six men along the line of scrimmage, as Decker lined up in the slot to Smith's left. The Raiders bit on the play-action fake, and their defense flowed accordingly, to the right of the Jets' formation. Smith turned to his left and hit Decker for a screen pass.

But even though this week's player spotlight blog post is about Decker, this particular play was made possible by left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who peeled off the line and blocked Rogers out of the play, right at the first-down marker, enabling Decker to run for most of the 22 yards he gained on this play.

Check out how quickly Ferguson sneaks off the line and into the second level of the defense. He is in position to make the block just as Smith turns to throw toward Decker. And Ferguson has his eyes on Rogers, who otherwise would've gotten a straight shot toward Decker after he caught the ball.

15804373-large.png

Ferguson takes a great angle to reach Rogers, and if you notice the way Decker's head is turned, he is reading his block and looking through the hole it created. Decker hits the hole and sprints ahead for a big play -- the final one of three that he (and his teammates) made on Sunday, totaling 67 of Decker's 74 receiving yards in his auspicious debut.

15804379-large.png

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Really enjoyed that. The first route he ran was beautiful. That is really how WRs get open, more than speed...precise route running. That is why Stephen Hill will never be good and Decker is #1 WR. He made Carlos Rodgers his play thing. I can't remember who it was, but I remember someone on the forum was saying that he can only run three routes. I think Max banned him, but breaking down his routes like this shows that, that is the farthest thing from the truth.

There was a little piece on the Jets network or whatever they call it during the summer.  Decker was showing a couple of routes.  On both he pushed off pretty blatantly and the coaches acted like it was "good technique."  He seemed very good at it, adept at pushing and creating space without extending his hand too far or being obvious.  It was a piece about turning the DBs hips, etc, where they slowed the footage down and ran it back and forth, so you could see it more obviously than real time.  My Dad caught the same segment on Sunday and when I called him he said "They showed him pushing off and kept praising it as great technique."   Decker got called for it once on Sunday, but if he can get away with it, great.  

Good read.

Now... who wants to hear my lecture about how the "not a true #1 WR" narrative was the dumbest of all this pre-season's hand-wringing?

Anyone? 

The Decker signing thread was the worst. I couldn't believe people were pissed at the signing of Decker because he's getting overpaid or that he's not a true #1 when we were literally signing street FAs for most of the previous season.

There was a little piece on the Jets network or whatever they call it during the summer.  Decker was showing a couple of routes.  On both he pushed off pretty blatantly and the coaches acted like it was "good technique."  He seemed very good at it, adept at pushing and creating space without extending his hand too far or being obvious.  It was a piece about turning the DBs hips, etc, where they slowed the footage down and ran it back and forth, so you could see it more obviously than real time.  My Dad caught the same segment on Sunday and when I called him he said "They showed him pushing off and kept praising it as great technique."   Decker got called for it once on Sunday, but if he can get away with it, great.  

pushing off got Irvin in the hall of fame

damned rule changes, lol

The Decker signing thread was the worst. I couldn't believe people were pissed at the signing of Decker because he's getting overpaid or that he's not a true #1 when we were literally signing street FAs for most of the previous season.

Yeah.  Most of us were against signing Decker before FA started only because we expected him to seek a ton of money.  I can't see the complaints at what they got him for.  We were thinking more Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders or James Jones would be affordable.  As it was, they were still in the running for Jones.  

Good read.

Now... who wants to hear my lecture about how the "not a true #1 WR" narrative was the dumbest of all this pre-season's hand-wringing?

Anyone? 

You are not a true #1 poster. Just saying. 

But we don't need you to be one because we have many other options.

Yeah.  Most of us were against signing Decker before FA started only because we expected him to seek a ton of money.  I can't see the complaints at what they got him for.  We were thinking more Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders or James Jones would be affordable.  As it was, they were still in the running for Jones.  

That is my recollection. I was against it before I was for it. Which is to say, I was against it when the rumors started circulating that he could fetch 10 or even 11 million per season as the top WR hitting FA in March. At that money you're also talking about some $24M guaranteed (give or take)

For $10-11M/year I was against it. For $7M/year ($15M guaranteed), I was for it. 

I know it dude... this place can get pretty damn ridiculous at times.

Although I was not posting here at the time -- I was one of those who was against the Decker signing, I was afraid he was more a product of Peyton.  After watching him through the pre-season and this past week, I have changed my tune.  I was wrong, I am real happy to have him on the team now.

Although I was not posting here at the time -- I was one of those who was against the Decker signing, I was afraid he was more a product of Peyton.  After watching him through the pre-season and this past week, I have changed my tune.  I was wrong, I am real happy to have him on the team now.

Gotta have ton's of respect a man who mans up.

Gotta have ton's of respect a man who mans up.

A lot of people thought that way because of Manning but if you look all throughout his college and pre manning days he has always been productive.

I'm excited because once Geno really gets comfortable with Decker like he is already with Kerley we could be in for something good. Add Jace and Cumby in there and watch out.

He's actually a very good route runner, and I think that gets lost sometimes because it's very hard to quantify, and nowadays we're more accustomed to always having numbers explain everything.  I think that's an excellent breakdown of reading angles with the CB and using it to create an advantage.  Speaking of Hill, I was hoping Decker would be a good influence on him in terms of route running when we first signed him, but it didn't work out. 

Decker isn't a true #1 nor did he get paid like one. It was actually a pretty fair contract per skill. Most people agree. Schlereth, as some have mentioned, seemed to have some weird personal bone to pick. That or he's just been at ESPN too long and sensationalizing any story or comment just comes as second nature to him now. I've always liked Schlereth, but his comments were pretty over the top and heavy handed. Bottom line is Decker's a good WR and he's going to help the Jets win some big games. It was a good, solid signing. 

I did not think he was a number one receiver, but I knew he was head and shoulders above anyone the Jets had on the roster.  He is our number one receiver, and I that will have to do for this season.

Yep.  He will pass Jeremy Kerley in total targets and will be the most effective player on the team on passes thrown his way.  That makes him a WR1.  If people want to argue that he's a low-end WR1, cool. 

We haven't had anything in the neighborhood of a WR1 since perhaps 2010 (Holmes/Edwards muddled things into a 1a/1b situation) or maybe even Keyshawn, so this is a nice change.

Decker isn't a true #1 nor did he get paid like one. It was actually a pretty fair contract per skill. Most people agree. Schlereth, as some have mentioned, seemed to have some weird personal bone to pick. That or he's just been at ESPN too long and sensationalizing any story or comment just comes as second nature to him now. I've always liked Schlereth, but his comments were pretty over the top and heavy handed. Bottom line is Decker's a good WR and he's going to help the Jets win some big games. It was a good, solid signing. 

I don't know what true#1 means when Decker is the Jets true#1 receiver. Is there a better receiver than him in the league? Yes, but that is for every WR who's nickname isn't Megatron. Decker is a #1 receiver because he can be productive at the position. That's all that needs to be said. 

I don't know what true#1 means when Decker is the Jets true#1 receiver. Is there a better receiver than him in the league? Yes, but that is for every WR who's nickname isn't Megatron. Decker is a #1 receiver because he can be productive at the position. That's all that needs to be said. 

Yeah, this whole "true #1" thing has to be one of the dumbest assertions out there.  People seem to be using whether he's a top 5 WR in the league as the measurement for a "true #1".  He's far and away the best WR on the Jets and it's not particularly crazy to say he's one of the top 32 players at his position, so I'm not sure what it's trying to prove.  He may not be one of the very elite level talents at the position, but few are.

Yep.  He will pass Jeremy Kerley in total targets and will be the most effective player on the team on passes thrown his way.  That makes him a WR1.  If people want to argue that he's a low-end WR1, cool. 

We haven't had anything in the neighborhood of a WR1 since perhaps 2010 (Holmes/Edwards muddled things into a 1a/1b situation) or maybe even Keyshawn, so this is a nice change.

i agree. Although if I remember correctly Kerley had a pretty good game himself on Sunday.

i agree. Although if I remember correctly Kerley had a pretty good game himself on Sunday.

Yep, and that's a good thing.  The difference between Geno with Kerley and Geno without Kerley was vast last year.  Having him as the 2nd option is huge.  Definitely not on knock on Kerley to say Decker is the WR1; they compliment each other nicely.

If only Stephen Hill wasn't a megabust.  With a viable speed guy at the WR2 spot along with Amaro and CJ, we'd be a dynamic offense, an idea that was laughable for the past 3 years.

The discussion quickly turns into semantics. I guess the real bottom line is who gives a **** as long as he stays healthy and productive. 

Yeah, this whole "true #1" thing has to be one of the dumbest assertions out there.  People seem to be using whether he's a top 5 WR in the league as the measurement for a "true #1".  He's far and away the best WR on the Jets and it's not particularly crazy to say he's one of the top 32 players at his position, so I'm not sure what it's trying to prove.  He may not be one of the very elite level talents at the position, but few are.

And that's also fair bc what's the true definition of a #1? It's completely subjective. To debate it any further, and to your point, isn't worth anybody's time (unless you work at ESPN or the NFL network).

It doesnt matter if he's a #1 or a #5.  Does he get open and does he catch the ball?  If the answer is yes.  Who gives a ****?  

There is no unwritten law that you need a true blue #1 WR to have a good offense.  The Jets have a bunch of guys who can catch and get open, Decker happens to be the best on the team at it.  This debate about #1 vs #2 or whatever doesnt matter.  He gets open, his QB trusts him and he catches the ball.

It doesnt matter if he's a #1 or a #5.  Does he get open and does he catch the ball?  If the answer is yes.  Who gives a ****?  

There is no unwritten law that you need a true blue #1 WR to have a good offense.  The Jets have a bunch of guys who can catch and get open, Decker happens to be the best on the team at it.  This debate about #1 vs #2 or whatever doesnt matter.  He gets open, his QB trusts him and he catches the ball.

Agreed. Who was the number 1 WR on Seattle last year? They didn't seem to care that they didn't have a true #1 and they won that Super Bowl thing. Proof an offense can still be effective without a true #1 or whatever that means.

Archived