The Best Team In New York Is..

Jet Nut

nypost.com/2014/09/10/why-the-...am-in-new-york/

Jets fans wondering if their team actually is any good can take solace in this: At least you don’t root for the Giants.

For the first time since Christmas Eve 2011, it is clear the Jets are the best football team in town.

Was the 19-14 win over the Raiders sloppy? Absolutely. Do the Raiders stink? Of course. But if you watched both the Jets and Giants play this week, it is clear the Jets are New York’s only hope of having a playoff team.

If you have any doubt, ask yourself this: If the two teams were stocks, which one would you buy?

The Jets have the best defensive front seven east of Seattle, a two-pronged rushing attack that will give defensive coordinators fits, a suddenly confident quarterback and a few weapons for him to target.

The Giants offense looks like a tourist in Times Square trying to find his way around town. Eli Manning looks lost, the offensive line can’t block and the rebuilt secondary was torn apart by the Lions in the 35-14 loss Monday night.

Jets coach Rex Ryan can crow about being the big brother around here again.

During his first two seasons here, Ryan’s Jets overshadowed the Giants with two runs to the AFC title game. Everything changed on Dec. 24, 2011, when Victor Cruz raced past Kyle Wilson, Antonio Cromartie and Eric Smith on his way to a 99-yard touchdown just before halftime that erased a 7-3 Jets lead on the way to a 29-14 Giants win, sending the two teams in vastly different directions.

The Giants won the Super Bowl six weeks later while the Jets imploded. The following year the Jets got Tebow, went 6-10, then underwent radical changes. The Giants missed the playoffs, but at 9-7 were still clearly superior.

Last year, even as the Giants started off 0-6, it was clear the Jets were a middling team and never a real threat to make the playoffs. The Jets ended up 8-8 and the Giants 7-9, but both teams were just mediocre.

Now, the Jets have moved back ahead.

This is not just based on Sunday’s win over a rookie quarterback. It’s based on evaluating the two rosters. The Jets clearly are better in several areas, especially up front.

The defensive line comparison has done a complete 180-degree turn in the past few years. The Giants once set the standard for defensive line play during their Super Bowl runs, when they seemed to have endless pass rushers. The Jets have thrown first-round picks at defensive linemen for three straight years and now have the best run-stuffing group in the NFL. The Giants now have Jason Pierre-Paul and a bunch of guys. Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson lead a Jets group that looks unstoppable at times.

The Jets’ offensive line pushed around the Raiders on Sunday and kept quarterback Geno Smith off the turf for most of the day. If this group wipes out the penalties, it could be one of the league’s best. The Giants’ offensive line could get Manning killed.

At running back, the tandem of Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory looks like everything the Jets imagined in the offseason. Rashad Jennings had a nice preseason for the Giants, but behind that line, it’s hard to imagine him putting up big numbers.

Then there’s the quarterback. Though no one can say Smith is better than Manning yet, it is fair to ask whom you would rather have right now. Smith is 23 and looks more confident than he did all of his rookie year. Manning is 33 and looks as uncertain as he has been since his rookie year. When Smith throws an interception, you say he’s learning. When Manning does, you think he’s done.

Smith also can create plays with his legs, something Manning is incapable of. When a pass play breaks down, Smith still can get you a first down. Like their two teams, one quarterback’s stock is going up while the other’s is falling.

About the only area where the Giants have an advantage is in the secondary, and even that did not look too good Monday night. I might owe Jets general manager John Idzik an apology if Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie continues to play like that.

The two teams don’t meet on the field this regular season — the next matchup comes in 2015 — so this debate won’t be settled there. But we will see in four months whether there is playoff talk around here. If there is, you can bet Ryan and the Jets will be the ones doing the talking.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tides turn oh so quickly when it comes to New York Journalism. First the Jets sucks because we have no secondary and our QB is probably the worst starting QB in the NFL. Then we have one regular season game, our defense is dominant, our offensive line could be one of the best in the league and our QB is growing. Oh and everything about the Giants sucked and their QB is done.

It's all a joke and not worth the read. It's all sensational writing that doesn't actually display football knowledge. Do I think the Giants are bad? Yes, but I've thought that from watching the preseason. Do I think the Jets are playoff contender? Yes, but I've thought that from watching the preseason. All these writers either refuse to acknowledge these things over time or just like to generate huge swings of emotions. All these writers suck.

The point you're trying to make here is that his post is the completely absurd over-reaction?  Yeah, ok.

LOL Like he wasn't trying to make a ridiculous point in his post, right? Oh, I see you type two words and its not absurd. Got it.

I guess it would have been better and more accurate  if I would have typed "let's not go congratulating Mr. Idzik just yet", right?, go **** yourself. I was talking to him, not you.

The only difference in our two posts was that I said exactly what I meant and he went passive aggressive and only alluded to something.

Yup, we should totally start sucking his dick now that The Post published an article saying the Jets are better than a horrible football team.

Not your post but if you want to go ahead, you first.

Dumb.

LOL Like he wasn't trying to make a ridiculous point in his post, right? Oh, I see you type two words and its not absurd. Got it.

I guess it would have been better and more accurate  if I would have typed "let's not go congratulating Mr. Idzik just yet", right?, go **** yourself. I was talking to him, not you.

The only difference in our two posts was that I said exactly what I meant and he went passive aggressive and only alluded to something.

I really do not see any rational basis for this estrogen lined overreaction.

Unless Idzik forcibly cuckolds you every weekend and ball gags you while taking your significant other from behind i really do not understand the basis of your overreaction. Maybe he uses the business end of a  plunger on you. If he really does any of that then you have my and this boards sincerest sympathies and yeah eff Idzik. We are with you man.

Otherwise your over reactions makes zero sense.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

I really do not see any rational basis for this estrogen lined overreaction.

Unless Idzik forcibly cuckolds you every weekend and ball gags you while taking your significant other from behind i really do not understand the basis of your overreaction. Maybe he uses the business end of a  plunger on you. If he really does any of that then you have my and this boards sincerest sympathies and yeah eff Idzik. We are with you man.

Otherwise your over reactions makes zero sense.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Dumb.

I guess it would have been better and more accurate if I would have typed "let's not go congratulating Mr. Idzik just yet", right?, go **** yourself. I was talking to him, not you.

Thanks for proving my point.

His post wasn't directed at you, but it didn't stop you, now did it? If you don't want anyone else responding to your little tantrums then perhaps stick to PMs and keep your homoerotic infatuation with the GMs dick to yourself.

Either that or accept the fact that when you try to call someone out for something you're just as guilty of, you're bound to get the same, and quite deservedly so.

Thanks for proving my point.

His post wasn't directed at you, but it didn't stop you, now did it? If you don't want anyone else responding to your little tantrums then perhaps stick to PMs and keep your homoerotic infatuation with the GMs dick to yourself.

Either that or accept the fact that when you try to call someone out for something you're just as guilty of, you're bound to get the same, and quite deservedly so.

What are you, his big brother? And no, that's not it at all. You're ******* wrong.

Let him call me out what is it your ******* job? Unless you're infatuated with the GM's dick, which compelled you to say something, you should have shut the **** up and kept out of it, you ******* washer woman.

"quite deservedly so" ******* Hallway monitor. lol

Archived