Packers Week 2: Playoff-Like Game For The Jets

Villain The Foe

Just came across this statistic. 

In the 25 years of this playoff structure, teams who go 0-2 have made the playoffs a whopping 11% of the time. In other words, this game is literally a do-or-die-in-week-2 for the Pack. These are the caliber of teams the Jets will be facing in the playoffs. The Jets need to lace them up and make a statement. Do you guys think the Jets are ready to make this step and knock a potential Super Bowl contender out of the box in week 2? 

Just came across this statistic. 

In the 25 years of this playoff structure, teams who go 0-2 have made the playoffs a whopping 11% of the time. In other words, this game is literally a do-or-die-in-week-2 for the Pack. These are the caliber of teams the Jets will be facing in the playoffs. The Jets need to lace them up and make a statement. Do you guys think the Jets are ready to make this step and knock a potential Super Bowl contender out of the box in week 2? 

Shouldn't the thread title be "Playoff-like game for the Pack" then?

To me this game is similar to the Falcons game from last year. We're going into a hostile environment against a team that we're "not supposed to beat" that really needs the win. Last year the Falcons game was our best game, hoping that we can pull the game out like that one. And I see a lot of parallels between the Falcons and the Packers. Good QB (obviously Rodgers is at a different level than Ryan) very good skill players but weak offensive and defensive lines. I like how we matchup and hope we can take advantage.

If we can win the turnover battle and not shoot ourselves in the foot over and over again with penalties then maybe.   Yet, if Aaron Rodgers go's berzerko and plays like he can then we probably lose.  He is that good.

There are a few things that need to change for the Jets to win this game.  They have to cut down on penalties and turnovers.  Cant be shooting yourself in the foot on the road vs. a QB like Rodgers.  The other things that needs to change is you cant go 5-12 on 3rd down vs. Rodgers.  You have to keep him off the field and converting on 3rd down is key, especially because I see this being a heavy run game for the offense which could leave the Jets in a lot of 3rd down situations.  Lastly, you cant get 1 TD out of 4 RedZone trips vs. a team who can light up the scoreboard.

It looks like both Lacy and Beluga are good to go.  The Packers have had 5 extra days to prepare.  While the Jets match up very well, they're going to need a flawless game to win.  Dont see it happening but its certainly not impossible. 

To me this game is similar to the Falcons game from last year. We're going into a hostile environment against a team that we're "not supposed to beat" that really needs the win. Last year the Falcons game was our best game, hoping that we can pull the game out like that one. And I see a lot of parallels between the Falcons and the Packers. Good QB (obviously Rodgers is at a different level than Ryan) very good skill players but weak offensive and defensive lines. I like how we matchup and hope we can take advantage.

Yeah, I was was thinking the same way. I'm not so sure the Packers are a good team this year. We had that Raider dude here telling us how they ran all over the Seahawks first team defense, yet the Pack struggled against that same Seahawk team. The Raiders couldn't move the ball on the Jets. Therefore, the Pack will not be able to get anywhere against the Jets defense. 

#science

Yeah, I was was thinking the same way. I'm not so sure the Packers are a good team this year. We had that Raider dude here telling us how they ran all over the Seahawks first team defense, yet the Pack struggled against that same Seahawk team. The Raiders couldn't move the ball on the Jets. Therefore, the Pack will not be able to get anywhere against the Jets defense. 

#science

I'd be surprised if the Jets defense gives up another first down....

ALL YEAR LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#science

I don't think the Packers are all that good either. I'm a big believer of if your lines are good then you will be pretty good and vice versa. Their lines are just bad.

Rodgers has a fantastic record in his last 30 home games.  Not sure exactly what it is but it's something like 28-2.  

Getting the Pack early in the season is better than late, but this is still a tough game for us.

Now we will see what our secondary is made of.

We win if we run the daylights out of the ball and hit on a few big plays down the field.

We win if our front seven can get to Rodgers.

Not impossible but tough...

honestly, I think we can run on them. I am in a survivor pool with a 600k top prize. As much as I'd like to take the Pack here, as the second biggest home favorite (and not use up Denver so early), I can not do it.

I can honestly see the Jets winning this game, if they can keep Rodgers off the field by running it down their throats.

And this isn't fandom, I am very pragmatic with betting and have bet against the Jets a ton of times if my data points suggested the line was weak. Understand, if push came to shove, I would always root for a Jets victory over winning the bet, but it was a nice conciliation prize when they didn't :)

honestly, I think we can run on them. I am in a survivor pool with a 600k top prize. As much as I'd like to take the Pack here, as the second biggest home favorite (and not use up Denver so early), I can not do it.

Geez what's the buy in with a $600k top prize?

Shouldn't the thread title be "Playoff-like game for the Pack" then?

Should it? No. Could it? Certainly. The fact is that this will also be a playoff-like game for the Jets given their 6 week schedule. The perspective was as a jets fan also. The Jets need to beat teams lime the pack in order to garner that respect. I feel that the jets are a much better team than what the public perceives, problem is the Jets simply don't beat the good teams consistently. The packers are not as solid a team that the people think they are, yet their backs are to the wall.

The Jets dominated a inferior team, but mistakes kept the score from reflecting that. The Jets have a chance to keep the Pats at the bottom of the pack as well. This game is as important for the jets as it is the pack. 

Should it? No. Could it? Certainly. The fact is that this will also be a playoff-like game for the Jets given their 6 week schedule. The perspective was as a jets fan also. The Jets need to beat teams lime the pack in order to garner that respect. I feel that the jets are a much better team than what the public perceives, problem is the Jets simply don't beat the good teams consistently. The packers are not as solid a team that the people think they are, yet their backs are to the wall.

The Jets dominated a inferior team, but mistakes kept the score from reflecting that. The Jets have a chance to keep the Pats at the bottom of the pack as well. This game is as important for the jets as it is the pack. 

Well, you certainly put me in my place. 

Rodgers has a fantastic record in his last 30 home games.  Not sure exactly what it is but it's something like 28-2.  

Getting the Pack early in the season is better than late, but this is still a tough game for us.

Now we will see what our secondary is made of.

We win if we run the daylights out of the ball and hit on a few big plays down the field.

We win if our front seven can get to Rodgers.

Not impossible but tough...

Basically. The Jets dominated the Raiders, but kept them in the game with mistakes. Geno looked much improved, but an int, two fumbles, and a bone-headed sack almost single-handedly gave that game away. The penalties -particularly on the OL- were another major concern. These are things that have to be cleaned up now. Leaving points on the board and/or handing Rogers the ball in the red zone are a sure-fire way to lose this game. The Jets do not have a high-powered offense, they can't afford to squander scoring opportunities when they're playing one. 

That said, I like the matchup of the Jets running game against their front seven. They need to stay away from the fancy play-calling to get Vick on the field, and stick with getting the ball in the hands of their playmakers. The goal should be to control the clock for 40 minutes. I expect them to run some of the same up tempo offense they ran against the Raiders, but they need to keep the clock running while they do. Geno continuing his 80%+ accuracy would help in that regard, too.

Keep Rogers off the field, and keep the dee fresh. 

Gotta Love the typical new member vibe. It never fails to make it's presence felt. Welcome to Jetnation.  

Lets call a spade a spade.

Plus, I once read "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

There are a few things that need to change for the Jets to win this game.  They have to cut down on penalties and turnovers.  Cant be shooting yourself in the foot on the road vs. a QB like Rodgers.  The other things that needs to change is you cant go 5-12 on 3rd down vs. Rodgers.  You have to keep him off the field and converting on 3rd down is key, especially because I see this being a heavy run game for the offense which could leave the Jets in a lot of 3rd down situations.  Lastly, you cant get 1 TD out of 4 RedZone trips vs. a team who can light up the scoreboard.

It looks like both Lacy and Beluga are good to go.  The Packers have had 5 extra days to prepare.  While the Jets match up very well, they're going to need a flawless game to win.  Dont see it happening but its certainly not impossible. 

Not happening in week 2.  No way they go to a flawless game after what we saw in game 1.  Best hope here is they keep it watchable and don't play the game they played last week.  That effort gets us down by 21 yards by halftime.  Easily.  

Not happening in week 2.  No way they go to a flawless game after what we saw in game 1.  Best hope here is they keep it watchable and don't play the game they played last week.  That effort gets us down by 21 yards by halftime.  Easily.  

As long as it onlys 21 yards at halftime, we've got a chance.

///Shane'd/Klacko'd

So because it's in the Packers best interest to win this matchup it's not like a payoff game to the Pack, it's like a playoff game to the Jets?

Because if we lose and are 1-1 after 2 with a non conference loss what exactly goes wrong for us?

So because it's in the Packers best interest to win this matchup it's not like a payoff game to the Pack, it's like a playoff game to the Jets?

Because if we lose and are 1-1 after 2 with a non conference loss what exactly goes wrong for us?

That is toooooo much rationality to absorb for the My Ship is Always Sinking JETS fans.

Archived