Josh Gordon

dundunit

I have no idea why the NFL bothers with sentencing guidelines when it all comes down to how Goodell feels on any given day, anyway. 

The level of THC to warrant the suspension was ridiculous. Not sticking up for a known sh!tbag - but in this instance there was need for change and the detectable level was so ridiculous I don't think restitution was a a bad move.

(also grabbed him for my FF team - yeah baby!) 

goodell all over the map but this is a move i agree with. let's focus on the stuff that matters to society: DUIs, beating women, murdering people, etc. if someone wants to smoke weed (during the offseason) who cares? in fact, if they smoke during the season, it should be up to the team to discipline them. just like if someone breaks curfew and is out drinking the night before a game--as it could hurt performance on the field... unless you are doc ellis.

I have no idea why the NFL bothers with sentencing guidelines when it all comes down to how Goodell feels on any given day, anyway.

...because it helps smart Fantasy players stash suspended players in the 12th round :)

Backfired with me on Rice though.

SAR I

The problem isn't Goodell. It's the fact these guys don't know how to act in a civilization. I'm so sick of hearing how Goodell is under siege for dealing out penalties. So sorry that the people making the rules can't keep up with people breaking the rules in all different new ways.

Goodell has to come up with all this different BS on the fly because players keep doing dumber and dumber things. Maybe it's always been this way, but in TMZ world where everything and everyone will be on camera. Things like this don't get brushed under the rug anymore. Goodell is forced to deal with it and dole out rulings.

A 2 game suspension for Rice seemed like nothing. But what the heck can Goodell do. The police didn't arrest him, his gf at the time didn't press charges and they got married a month later. Why should Goodell ban him more than two games really? On what basis ?

People have clamored about how Josh Gordon shouldn't be suspended longer then Rice. But that was a pre written ruling that was already in place. (Which might change now any minute today)

What really is bothersome (It all really is) is the fact that a guy like Ray McDonald or A guy like Greg Hardy had no video evidence. But they will be able to play because the court of public appeals (the fans, the media, the outsiders) didn't really see anything. If anything under the new agreement 6 games for first time offenders. What in theory Rice should get too. But he got cut and there is a video.

My point is, if Rice truly is someone who does this frequently then this is probably the best thing for his life. And Janay. To be exposed to the whole world. Guys like Hardy and McDonald get to continue to be monsters behind closed door which really is the true problem.

None of this is Goodells fault. He's made the game 10x more profitable and popular then it was when he took over. I for one think he deserves some slack , and not the knee jerk reactions when stuff like this comes up. As people, we lose sight of what the actual problem is. It's not that roger Goodell knew or didn't know. It's that Ray rice punched his wife.

In the words of the late great, Nate Dog;

SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY!

In the words of Snoop Dog;

I promise I'll smoke Chronic til the day that I die.

In the words of B-Real:

Role it up, smoke it up, inhale, exhale

In the words of Method Man

I got fat bags of skunk

I got White Owl blunts

And I'm about to go get lifted

Yes I'm about to go get lifted

The problem isn't Goodell. It's the fact these guys don't know how to act in a civilization. I'm so sick of hearing how Goodell is under siege for dealing out penalties. So sorry that the people making the rules can't keep up with people breaking the rules in all different new ways.

Goodell has to come up with all this different BS on the fly because players keep doing dumber and dumber things. Maybe it's always been this way, but in TMZ world where everything and everyone will be on camera. Things like this don't get brushed under the rug anymore. Goodell is forced to deal with it and dole out rulings.

A 2 game suspension for Rice seemed like nothing. But what the heck can Goodell do. The police didn't arrest him, his gf at the time didn't press charges and they got married a month later. Why should Goodell ban him more than two games really? On what basis ?

People have clamored about how Josh Gordon shouldn't be suspended longer then Rice. But that was a pre written ruling that was already in place. (Which might change now any minute today)

What really is bothersome (It all really is) is the fact that a guy like Ray McDonald or A guy like Greg Hardy had no video evidence. But they will be able to play because the court of public appeals (the fans, the media, the outsiders) didn't really see anything. If anything under the new agreement 6 games for first time offenders. What in theory Rice should get too. But he got cut and there is a video.

My point is, if Rice truly is someone who does this frequently then this is probably the best thing for his life. And Janay. To be exposed to the whole world. Guys like Hardy and McDonald get to continue to be monsters behind closed door which really is the true problem.

None of this is Goodells fault. He's made the game 10x more profitable and popular then it was when he took over. I for one think he deserves some slack , and not the knee jerk reactions when stuff like this comes up. As people, we lose sight of what the actual problem is. It's not that roger Goodell knew or didn't know. It's that Ray rice punched his wife.

+1, strong take Godall is the real hero

well I think the nflpa is taking what they can in trade for the odd suspension of rice. not saying what he did was right or agreeing with the indefinite suspension but he was punished once so until rice's lawyers get a hold of everything I bet that will change as well. IMHO Roger screwed up when h\e not slam the hammer down for spy-gate. That was worse for the game then either of rice or gordon's offenses as it brought into question the integrity of the game. 

that to me showed favoritism of the highest degree

Goodell has botched this Ray Rice thing from the get go. There was already a video of Ray Rice dragging his unconscious girlfriend out of an elevator. Pretty obvious what happened. To give him a punishment that was literally half of what someone would get for smoking a joint the first time, or taking the wrong over the counter supplement fell somewhere between insanity and idiocy. Then he comes back and says that in the future, the penalty for a first time offense in domestic violence will be a six week suspension. Fine, so increase Rice's suspension to six weeks then and there, no one would've blinked. Instead, a new video comes out showing him cold-cocking his GF, and Goodell -despite announcing that the punishment for a first offense will be six games- decides to ban Rice indefinitely. WTF is that?

What he did was terrible, but is it worse than what Greg Hardy is accused of? I have no sympathy for Rice, but he's unfairly being made an example here because he was stupid enough to have his transgression caught on tape.

The Josh Gordon thing has also been botched. Everyone knew a one year ban was coming back before the draft, but he waited until a week before the season to issue it. Essentially giving the Browns no chance to make adjustments to their roster, and eliminating all of Josh Gordon's offseason next year in one fell swoop. And then, once again, he backtracks on himself and (potentially) cuts that sentence in half. He loses credibility with every move. I approve wholeheartedly of the drug suspensions being reduced, but what's Goodell gonna do when a player is caught smoking crack on tape? Indiscriminately impose a longer ban a la Rice? If you have a policy, you stick to it. He established a domestic abuse policy, and his first opportunity to follow it, he chose not to. Why even establish a policy in the first place in that case?

The man is being rightly criticized.  

And Goodell initially refused to punish him for more than two games, then the tape came out, everybody freaked out, including Goodell and now he has punished Ray Rice further. 

Problem is, Ray Rice has four witnesses who were in the room when he told Goodell what happened. 

Goodell is now claiming he was "ambiguous."

Four people who are not Ray Rice say bullsh*t. 

Meaning Goodell gave Rice a slap on the wrist. 

Enabling domestic abuse is just as bad as domestic abuse. 

Goodell needs to go. 

Goodell needs to go.

Goodell is probably going to end up being a lucky SOB that this happened now and not 4 months from now.  The owners aren't going to dump their commissioner at the start of the NFL season and, right or wrong, by the end of the NFL season the media will have moved on to some other hot topic and forgotten all about this; that means there's a good chance Goodell gets away with this mess.

Archived