Adrian Peterson indicted

Integrity28

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Veteran of the yardstick myself, though that was just Mom. Dad didn't need "instruments" to "teach" me. Didn't physically affect me for more than whatever day/afternoon I earned my stripes, but then whether or not it does depends on the severity dished out by the parent(s). Does the skin turn really red...or really purple? Any scarring? Necessity of an ER visit? A black eye? There are some sick people out there who should not be around children, including their own.

On the other hand, I guarantee not all kids respond to "time out," and no parent looks at his infant child and says, "I plan to beat you when you're bad." Or I can't imagine so, anyway. Mrs. Sperm and I haven't partaken ourselves, and don't plan on it, but we haven't "needed" to either. I even had trouble typing "needed" there, but there are some really bad kids that only respond to one thing, and they do respond to it, until they're adult enough to behave better on their own. I don't know. 

As far as this situation, I would just like to read that Peterson didn't give a 5 year-old kid (I don't know how old his son is) a big welt or find out that his whole back/back side is totally marked up, or even scarred.

I wonder if this forum would run better if we believed in corporal punishment.

Um. Peterson is sick if this is true.

Peterson's lawyers are excellent. Like super effing good.

Thus this thing could take a year plus to sort out. It might to go juries or whatever. WHat would happen if the NFL suspended him and it gets mistrialed?

This wouldn't be such as hot issue pre Ray Rice. and yes it sucks that it happens Pats week. Matt Asiata blows goats. 

Kid is 4 years old. What could the kid have done, at age four, that would necessitate beating him to the point of breaking the skin in multiple places?

I could not agree more.  At four the worst you should do is a mild smack to get their attention.  The kid is four, what the hell could he have possibly done?  This is time-out and take away a toy age, not beat the crap out of him age.

My son is five and is well behaved.  Occasionally he gets a pat in the rear, but at this age it is more important to teach that all actions have repercussions.  My son knows that if he behaves well he has good days (trips to the zoo, science center, movies, day playing catch in the park, etc.), if he behaves poorly he won't be playing with his favorite toys and he won't be going to any of the places that he loves to spend his weekends at.  The first time he acts up all I have to ask is "Do you want to have a good day or a bad day?" and he knows the choice is his.

As he gets older and starts to do dumb things then he will be disciplined (my mother loved the wooden spoon or threw her shoe at us, my father...  well we were smart enough to never mess with him). 

Peterson's lawyers are excellent. Like super effing good.

Thus this thing could take a year plus to sort out. It might to go juries or whatever. WHat would happen if the NFL suspended him and it gets mistrialed?

This wouldn't be such as hot issue pre Ray Rice. and yes it sucks that it happens Pats week. Matt Asiata blows goats.

Petersons about to make Ray Rice look like Mother Theresa. This is systematic abuse of a child not a drunk mess.

Petersons about to make Ray Rice look like Mother Theresa. This is systematic abuse of a child not a drunk mess.

I don't think we want to get into the which is worse conversation. Let's just leave it as they both aren't great. AP's timing sucks cause the league is sh*tting itself on several fronts. 

I don't think we want to get into the which is worse conversation. Let's just leave it as they both aren't great. AP's timing sucks cause the league is sh*tting itself on several fronts.

Judging by his quotes Peterson thinks he's doing the boys good. I'm not a doctor but that sounds like someone who's not totally with it.

Judging by his quotes Peterson thinks he's doing the boys good. I'm not a doctor but that sounds like someone who's not totally with it.

Yeh it's effed up situation. We are in uncharted territory. This has been a historic week for NFL player legal woes.  I feel bad for Ray Rice's wife and Adrian Peterson's son. 

I could not agree more. At four the worst you should do is a mild smack to get their attention. The kid is four, what the hell could he have possibly done? This is time-out and take away a toy age, not beat the crap out of him age.

My son is five and is well behaved. Occasionally he gets a pat in the rear, but at this age it is more important to teach that all actions have repercussions. My son knows that if he behaves well he has good days (trips to the zoo, science center, movies, day playing catch in the park, etc.), if he behaves poorly he won't be playing with his favorite toys and he won't be going to any of the places that he loves to spend his weekends at. The first time he acts up all I have to ask is "Do you want to have a good day or a bad day?" and he knows the choice is his.

As he gets older and starts to do dumb things then he will be disciplined (my mother loved the wooden spoon or threw her shoe at us, my father... well we were smart enough to never mess with him).

His mother concluded that the injuries were bad enough that he required medical attention. This isn't very complicated. There's a pretty fine line between discipline and abuse and that's a big part of it.

You guys really haven't been down south much I take it or have grandparents off the boat.  While this without a doubt seems extreme to some of the more liberal people up here in the north, this is pretty standard practice in a lot of communities in the south. This was how Peterson was raised, this is how he'll raise/was raising his children.  Peterson is at the pinnacle of his profession and for all intents and purposes loves his life, why would he ever think his upbringing was too severe?  Christ, he was doing this in a state that has a f*cking express line to capital punishment.  I would agree that this is certainly extreme, but I certainly understand the cultural aspect if this was how he was raised. 

You guys really haven't been down south much I take it or have grandparents off the boat. While this without a doubt seems extreme to some of the more liberal people up here in the north, this is pretty standard practice in a lot of communities in the south. This was how Peterson was raised, this is how he'll raise/was raising his children. Peterson is at the pinnacle of his profession and for all intents and purposes loves his life, why would he ever think his upbringing was too severe? Christ, he was doing this in a state that has a f*cking express line to capital punishment. I would agree that this is certainly extreme, but I certainly understand the cultural aspect if this was how he was raised.

I hear you. But come on...eventually that should end somewhere. Especially a guy who has literally everything to lose. And 4 years old...come on.

His mother concluded that the injuries were bad enough that he required medical attention. This isn't very complicated. There's a pretty fine line between discipline and abuse and that's a big part of it.

You have to be very careful in these situations, there are plenty of times mothers bring their child in to the hospital for excessive discipline and then it turns out there's a nasty custody or alimony battle going on. While the pictures paint a nasty scenario, you still cannot judge it solely by that. I've seen this exact scenario come into the hospital: the mother acknowledges the father has done it before, but the switch wasn't smoothed enough and ended up causing damage excessive to what's happened before etc.  No charges pressed.  I would imagine that's what Adrian and his lawyers will claim.

Matt39:liberal

I hear you. But come on...eventually that should end somewhere. Especially a guy who has literally everything to lose.

Wasn't saying that you were liberal, just that to some who weren't raised on this, it seems beyond extreme.  Others who were raised like this are shaking their heads at how this is even news.  I personally think it's extreme and certainly straddling the abuse/discipline line, but it's east f*cking texas, this is considered getting off light down there. 

You have to be very careful in these situations, there are plenty of times mothers bring their child in to the hospital for excessive discipline and then it turns out there's a nasty custody or alimony battle going on. While the pictures paint a nasty scenario, you still cannot judge it solely by that. I've seen this exact scenario come into the hospital: the mother acknowledges the father has done it before, but the switch wasn't smoothed enough and ended up causing damage excessive to what's happened before etc. No charges pressed. I would imagine that's what Adrian and his lawyers will claim.

I can't even imagine the iron stomach you have to have to be in a unit with abused children. Hats off to you sir. The wife works in a unit that does tumor and renal failure and comes home with a smile on her face every day. It's a mentality that I can't understand but have so much respect for.

This sh*t took a severe empathic turn when it came out that the balls were whipped. That's sick sh*t right there. There is no narrative that forgives that.

I'd have to see the injuries prior to judging: was it one mark that was accidental as the child was moving or did Adrian purposefully aim there? If it's the latter, than the guy needs to be booted without a doubt, that's indefensible.  

Wasn't saying that you were liberal, just that to some who weren't raised on this, it seems beyond extreme. Others who were raised like this are shaking their heads at how this is even news. I personally think it's extreme and certainly straddling the abuse/discipline line, but it's east f*cking texas, this is considered getting off light down there.

Ha I know you weren't. More joking at myself. But sh*t this is unsettling. Petersons about to be the next OJ.

I can't even imagine the iron stomach you have to have to be in a unit with abused children. Hats off to you sir. The wife works in a unit that does tumor and renal failure and comes home with a smile on her face every day. It's a mentality that I can't understand but have so much respect for.

It wasn't permanent, but I've had my rotation on there. It not only makes you sick what some people can do to children, but then turning around and seeing their parents use their children to punish their ex-husband/wife etc.  It's just disturbing on a whole other level. I couldn't do it permanently, it's beyond draining. I'm opting for surgery so I can hopefully have tangible impacts on my patient's lives. 

I grew up with the belt etc. but was always sat down afterward and explained why it happened and how my mother or father did not want to or enjoy doing it.  If it's true as reports are coming out that he purposefully hit the boys scrotum, then yea, that's f*cked and he needs to be sh*tcanned.  If it's a case where he didn't smooth the switch out as he normally does, it's an unfortunate circumstance and he needs some classes or intervention on child-discipline.  But again, this is east texas, it might as well be f*cking Siberia as far as child-rearing goes. 

Ha I know you weren't. More joking at myself. But sh*t this is unsettling. Petersons about to be the next OJ.

Yea, this is most likely going to start a sh*tstorm. As outraged as people were/are over the Ray Rice ordeal, the nation as a whole has a max attention span of a couple weeks for women's rights, but child abuse? That's pretty much something that unifies everyone, this will not go away. 

Archived