is this it for Rex?

Lizard King

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So maybe you missed the part of the of his post when he said "there's never been a dominant defense in the NFL while Rex has been coaching", so your stupidity in responding above fully ignores what Seattle did last year doesn't it?   

:Banane43:  :Banane43:  :Banane43:  :Banane43:  :Banane43:  :Banane43:  :Banane43:  :Banane43:   

EAD!

Like the 49'ers and Seahawks did last weekend?   ;-).

Either way, I agree Rex sucks. I've seen the light.  We should have fired him for someone like Lovie Smith last offseason but that ship has sailed.  Our next Head Coach will be a badass, whoever he is.  He/She cant be worse than Rex, thats for sure.

Mentioned this last night, but Jalen Saunders is a scrub and we had two all time great PR's on the market for relatively small money. Why didnt we pursue either of these guys considering we struggle making big plays?

Same reason Dimitri Patterson was supposed to start.   Because Big John was too busy proving to everyone that he's the smartest guy in the NFL.  

Same reason Dimitri Patterson was supposed to start.   Because Big John was too busy proving to everyone that he's the smartest guy in the NFL.  

But he went from inheriting a roster with very little talent and huge salary cap issues to in two seasons becoming a roster where the biggest complaint is if only he had got a free agent CB with all that cap space he has got.

So while I don't think he deserves the smartest guy in the NFL he sure has displayed some smarts to get the JETS roster to where it is now in two off seasons.

But he went from inheriting a roster with very little talent and huge salary cap issues to in two seasons becoming a roster where the biggest complaint is if only he had got a free agent CB with all that cap space he has got.

So while I don't think he deserves the smartest guy in the NFL he sure has displayed some smarts to get the JETS roster to where it is now in two off seasons.

The thinking with Idzik, I think, is pretty obvious: Until you are 100% sure that you found a QB, keep leaving yourself escape routes. Don't box yourself in to too much money, and do what you need to do to keep your core players in the event that you actually find him. The new thing for building a winner, barring Peyton Manning or something becoming available, is to avoid free agency because you will almost always overpay. Once you find a quarterback that's not really a problem anymore, but until that happens, we have outs. I have no idea how it will work out, but it's the complete opposite of Tannenbaum and that I do respect. I just wish the dude could draft better.

The thinking with Idzik, I think, is pretty obvious: Until you are 100% sure that you found a QB, keep leaving yourself escape routes. Don't box yourself in to too much money, and do what you need to do to keep your core players in the event that you actually find him. The new thing for building a winner, barring Peyton Manning or something becoming available, is to avoid free agency because you will almost always overpay. Once you find a quarterback that's not really a problem anymore, but until that happens, we have outs. I have no idea how it will work out, but it's the complete opposite of Tannenbaum and that I do respect. I just wish the dude could draft better.

His draft's have not been stellar. There are some picks which leave you scratching your head. But overall he has worked to improve the depth of the roster. While he hasn't done a perfect job there is no denying that this JETS roster has more depth.

His draft's have not been stellar. There are some picks which leave you scratching your head. But overall he has worked to improve the depth of the roster. While he hasn't done a perfect job there is no denying that this JETS roster has more depth.

I respect the strategy, but his selections within the framework have been off. Pryor over Benjamin is really starting to look like a head scratcher, as is the entire series of midround selections. But like I said, the good part about the framework is that no one or two moves can ever be a back breaker. You are never going to get a Sanchez extension or a deal like $50 million for Holmes with Idzik; so you never get any disasters, you just get misses.

I don't get where all this depth is. Ellis?(pre JI) TJ Barnes? Douzable? Other than that the rest are unproven rookie LB's.

On offense? Powel and Vick?

The only thing that's obvious with Idzik is that he's averse to spending. Or, at the very least, that he's an extremely rigid negotiator. It worked out with Decker, getting him at below projected cost, but usually it just leads to nothing getting done. He tried and whiffed in a rich CB market this year. He's been rumored to've tried to make a few different draft day trades but he hasn't been able to consummate a single one. I just think he's overly focused on getting the better of every interaction. That's a nice way to handle buying a used car, but it's not a good way to get others to enter into deals with you.

The idea that all that's going to change when he decides that he's set at QB is just speculation, and perhaps just wishful thinking.

I hated the Tannenbaum way, but it's not like I believe the exact opposite of the Tannenbaum way is the way to go, either. There's some healthy middle ground in there between him and Idzik so far. And yeah, I wish he was a better drafter, too. That's why I wanted a personnel expert hired to be the GM rather than another guy from the business side of things.

But you cannot carry open cap space forward or backward. Whether he signed Revis or DRC or some other useful player or players if only for 2014 would not have handicapped the team in the future. And as with Revis we are in a brave new world that players go from team to team year to year without much caring about things beyod that.Every year is a new one; you cannot go crazy worrying about things beyond that. Having $20 million in open cap space in 2014 is a failure. Don't think it makes for a good long term team building (a serious flaw in the whole idea of a cap) , but thta's the reality. Don't buy Mehta's nonsense about Revis being THE DIFFERENCE. bUt clear the owner dictated that a very useful player would not be signed because of a fit of pique. And that's a stupid way to run any business.

All those corners who signed in the offseason aren't helping their teams all that much. Meanwhile, even average QBs are completing 75% of their passes because of the rules. Sherman, Peterson, and Revis have been getting torched through three games. If Rex can't get Milliner, Wilson, etc to play at even the mediocre levels that corners are playing at league-wide right now, then that's on him.

But you cannot carry open cap space forward or backward. Whether he signed Revis or DRC or some other useful player or players if only for 2014 would not have handicapped the team in the future. And as with Revis we are in a brave new world that players go from team to team year to year without much caring about things beyod that.Every year is a new one; you cannot go crazy worrying about things beyond that. Having $20 million in open cap space in 2014 is a failure. Don't think it makes for a good long term team building (a serious flaw in the whole idea of a cap) , but thta's the reality. Don't buy Mehta's nonsense about Revis being THE DIFFERENCE. bUt clear the owner dictated that a very useful player would not be signed because of a fit of pique. And that's a stupid way to run any business.

I thought you COULD carry the cap space forward for a year or two?  You could always carry a bit forward or do mid/end year restructures to move some space, but I am pretty sure the new deal allows space to be carried forward. 

All those corners who signed in the offseason aren't helping their teams all that much. Meanwhile, even average QBs are completing 75% of their passes because of the rules. Sherman, Peterson, and Revis have been getting torched through three games. If Rex can't get Milliner, Wilson, etc to play at even the mediocre levels that corners are playing at league-wide right now, then that's on him.

Milliner can't even get on the field and we all know that Wilson is what he is - not a very good player. By coaching up a late seventh round LB/S hybrid into a CB, Rex has demonstrated that he can "coach up" the position as long as he has something to work with. We've had the it's a passing league complaints about Rex for years, but Idzik hasn't seemed to've gotten the message himself. At least Rex was all in on stopping the pass. Idzik has the Jets fielding some of the worst CBs and WRs in the league right now.

I thought you COULD carry the cap space forward for a year or two?  You could always carry a bit forward or do mid/end year restructures to move some space, but I am pretty sure the new deal allows space to be carried forward. 

Yes, under the new CBA, cap space can be carried over to next year.  Similar to what Rutgers posted above, I am hoping the plan is to make sure we have a QB this year and then use the cap space to surround him with the talent to compete next season, but I don't think anyone really knows what is in Idzik's head or what his pong term plan is.  That said, I am not giving up on this season, we have a banged up Bears team coming in tonight (to play our banged up Jets team) -- no reason we cannot be 2-1 after tonight.

Milliner can't even get on the field and we all know that Wilson is what he is - not a very good player. By coaching up a late seventh round LB/S hybrid into a CB, Rex has demonstrated that he can "coach up" the position as long as he has something to work with. We've had the it's a passing league complaints about Rex for years, but Idzik hasn't seemed to've gotten the message himself. At least Rex was all in on stopping the pass. Idzik has the Jets fielding some of the worst CBs and WRs in the league right now.

The roster is poop, lets be honest.  Outside of the DL, its really a sh*t show.

They need another offseason but I'm with you, Idzik has to stop being so cheap if you want to improve.  All these low end FA's and sh*tty drafting...you cant expect anyone to win with this team no matter how good a coach.  Rex love or hate aside, they guy is going into tonight starting a S and UDFA at corner vs. 2 monster WR's.  It's a disaster in the making and no coach could fix that.

Misapprehending the relationship between process and result is the new math is gay.

It's ironic that many of the people who want to give Rex a lifelong contract because of the talent he's had to work with are getting impatient with Idzik because he hasn't turned a 6-10 roster into a playoff team after 18 games.

Misapprehending the relationship between process and result is the new math is gay.

It's ironic that many of the people who want to give Rex a lifelong contract because of the talent he's had to work with are getting impatient with Idzik because he hasn't turned a 6-10 roster into a playoff team after 18 games.

Idzik process.

I think the issue is what Idzik expects from this roster.  If he expects a team that plays hard and is on the cusp of the playoffs, then his expectations are reaasonable and he should judge Rex based on them.  Most of the "misapprehending" comes from people defending Rex because he is trying to do what he does with sh*t corners and WR.  Despite any "develop the players" crap, we pretty much knew they were sh*t.  If we are going to judge Rex as if he has 2010 Cromartie, Revis, Edwards and Holmes, I think it is unfair. 

Totally agree with this. #FireIdzik

I've been a Jets fan since forever.  I even got DirectTV to be able to watch all their games in Fla. I want the Jets to win tonight.  They won't.
Here is what must be done, if the Jets are not to continue their 40+ year seasons of unparalleled mediocrity:
1. Hire Jon Gruden as coach and GM. If he's going to be the cook, then at least let him buy the ingredients -- to paraphrase another Super Bowl-winning coach.
2. Find a DC who can actually coach players and is not some unserious,annoying blowhard who says "obviously" every other sentence.
3. Keep Morningdove, but do not allow him to call timeouts, run gimmick plays, or talk to the press about how great his QB is.
4. Fire Idzik, and replace him (but only in a capologist function) with someone who is not the ridiculous polar opposite of Tannenfool.
5. Have Woodchuck understand that he should not be seen in the locker room for any reason whatsoever except maybe briefly during pre-season -- but without his ridiculous cap.  Tell him to go play Big Man with his rich Republican politician friends, and leave Gruden alone for at least 2 - 3 seasons. Tell him everyone knows he's just an aging,  bald little rich boy who did not earn any of the wealth that allowed him to buy the team.
6, Get rid of Genome and let Gruden find an actual pocket passer /gunslinger in next year's draft.  Namath, the Snake, the mad bomber, Fouts, Elway, Kelly, This the DNA and tradition of the AFL.  I never liked scamper-happy Tarkenton back in the day, and I don't like Russell Wilson today -- even tho he is a proven winner.  I am talking strictly about AFL style of play here, nothing personal.  Genome is like a second tier, bottom shelf, Wilson wannabe.  Start Vick, starting tonight,and salvage 2 or 3 games from the upcoming gauntlet of games against real QBs.
7. Dedicate the Dec 1st game against the Fins to Harry Wismer.  If you have ever wondered about the curse on the Jets, look no further than the execrable way the Jets have treated the memory of the man who willed them into existence.
8. Burn a Hess station sign in effigy at centerfield next week,for all the decades that Leon allowed the Jets to languish in the cellar as a tax writeoff to his oil business, the very same wasted decades of pointless Sundays I went with all the faithful of the era to watch the Jets play at Shea and Giants stadium,
Ignore this at your peril, all ye unbelievers!  ;-)

Archived