Adrian Peterson Reinstated will play Sunday

joewilly12

Until I see an advertiser actually leave I'm not buying it. Budweiser and the likes arent going anywhere.

You never know. Budweiser would survive just fine without the NFL, and they may even see a boost in sales. Women do tend to do most of the shopping.

I gotta ask...do we really care? Do we care if an NFL player is a suckbag off the field? Personally, I don't give a sh*t the same way I don't care about what the waitress, or the cab driver, or the cable guy do when they're home. I understand the societal need to make an example of celebrities and to latch onto the spectacle portion of their public shaming, but how much of that is based in wanting to see "justice" served and hoe much of it rests in the public wanting to wag their fingers at someone else from the safety of their couch like they're watching American Idol?

You never know. Budweiser would survive just fine without the NFL, and they may even see a boost in sales. Women do tend to do most of the shopping.

All that Budweiser ad money has changed hands, the commercials have been made and paid for, the ad materials printed, the billable hours charged, and logos stamped on every piece of cross-promotional merchandise. Budweiser can talk all they want about shedding the NFL, but they're never going to throw all of that sh*t in a dumpster over Adrian Peterson.

I gotta ask...do we really care? Do we care if an NFL player is a suckbag off the field? Personally, I don't give a sh*t the same way I don't care about what the waitress, or the cab driver, or the cable guy do when they're home. I understand the societal need to make an example of celebrities and to latch onto the spectacle portion of their public shaming, but how much of that is based in wanting to see "justice" served and hoe much of it rests in the public wanting to wag their fingers at someone else from the safety of their couch like they're watching American Idol?

It is weird. I still buy snoop dog records

Maybe it comes from fact that 31 out of 32 times it's a guy on a different team so hell yeah the majority want him banned. I wish Brady would get banned for crimes against masculinity. But Sheldon Richardson slaps a girl around? Let due process run it's course!

"If I did that I'd be fired from my job!"

The NFL is the only TV programming that still brings in huge numbers post internet. The grandstanding is noise. Whether it be from these dopey politicians or the sponsors. Oh no, the Radisson suspended their local sponsorship. The Vikings probably laughed at them.

Have to say Roger may have been riding high but he seems like a guy that has fumbled twice on two consecutive possessions. It will be interesting to see how clenched the owners become after hearing these warnings.

As long as the tv ratings are strong all of this extra noise and grandstanding wont change anything...they'll just wait it out.

The NFL has an interesting choice with Peterson, but bad PR doesnt necessarily mean bad for business.

The part that really gets me is people are so gung-ho and eager to find something to scream about, but when they are told the problem is systemic and understand what it takes in order to fix societal problems, they universally wash their hands of it.  No one actually wants to do their part, yet they all want it fixed.  Do people really think that suspending and fining men in their 20s and 30s is the way to fix how they were raised 20+ years ago?  Ask the same people if they think jail rehabilitates someone and they'll all most likely say no, and yet have no idea the connection.  You want to fix scumbags acting like scumbags? Stop them from being raised as scumbags. But that requires systemic changes in education, housing, food distribution etc. etc.  But no, let's boycott an NFL game, that'll do it.

The part that really gets me is people are so gung-ho and eager to find something to scream about, but when they are told the problem is systemic and understand what it takes in order to fix societal problems, they universally wash their hands of it.  No one actually wants to do their part, yet they all want it fixed.  Do people really think that suspending and fining men in their 20s and 30s is the way to fix how they were raised 20+ years ago?  Ask the same people if they think jail rehabilitates someone and they'll all most likely say no, and yet have no idea the connection.  You want to fix scumbags acting like scumbags? Stop them from being raised as scumbags. But that requires systemic changes in education, housing, food distribution etc. etc.  But no, let's boycott an NFL game, that'll do it.

Matt Williamson recently described Twitter as a wave pool, which I think is spot on. People get to mimic everyone else in 140 characters, which invites every ADD-addled peabrain to find a meme and amplify it. The death of independent thought, vis a vis the lazy and loud.

Matt Williamson recently described Twitter as a wave pool, which I think is spot on. People get to mimic everyone else in 140 characters, which invites every ADD-addled peabrain to find a meme and amplify it. The death of independent thought, vis a vis the lazy and loud.

Yup.

Every time I go to a conference, I watch an ocean of people sent there by their employers to learn and be inspired, do nothing but bury their face in their phones, trying to be the first to tweet out something the speaker said, regardless of the fact that 99% of them don't get it, but the first person who does get it is like a pebble in the pond and if one person sees them go to their phone... then they all do it.

Don't learn anything. Just be the first to tweet it.

I hate Americans.

Agree in the abstract. But thing is the cable guy and a cab driver are not making millions as the star attraction of a billion dollar industry .

And because it's a billion dollar industry very soon Peterson, Hardy and mcDonald and their ilk are not going to be playing because they are bad for business, morality being entirely secondary. Budweiser's statement today is really unprecedented. They aren't dumping the NFL-yet.But there is someone in an ImBev office with a computer algorithm figuring a cost benefit analysis of their sales if the dump the NFL vs. the backlash if they stay. And there are a lot of advertisers and "league partners" doing the same thing.

And I have no sympathy for any of these POS players. it's past time for the NFL and pro sports in general to say if you want to be a criminal you forfeit the right to play professionally. The problem is in the hands of a jerk off like Goodell you get these  crazy disparities in discipline because there is no standard other than what one guy in the Park Avenue office thinks.

Agree in the abstract. But thing is the cable guy and a cab driver are not making millions as the star attraction of a billion dollar industry .

And because it's a billion dollar industry very soon Peterson, Hardy and mcDonald and their ilk are not going to be playing because they are bad for business, morality being entirely secondary. Budweiser's statement today is really unprecedented. They aren't dumping the NFL-yet.But there is someone in an ImBev office with a computer algorithm figuring a cost benefit analysis of their sales if the dump the NFL vs. the backlash if they stay. And there are a lot of advertisers and "league partners" doing the same thing.

And I have no sympathy for any of these POS players. it's past time for the NFL and pro sports in general to say if you want to be a criminal you forfeit the right to play professionally. The problem is in the hands of a jerk off like Goodell you get these  crazy disparities in discipline because there is no standard other than what one guy in the Park Avenue office thinks.

I think you're completely overestimating the backlash. No one has been tuning out the games....I think the majority dont want to hear about it anymore. People watch football to get away from political grandstanding and the likes...you can't escape it now and its exhausting. There will always be NFL players who are really good at what they do and are sh*tty humans. I'm still going to watch the games and so are you. The NFL isnt even remotely hurting Budweiser's image.

Yup.

Every time I go to a conference, I watch an ocean of people sent there by their employers to learn and be inspired, do nothing but bury their face in their phones, trying to be the first to tweet out something the speaker said, regardless of the fact that 99% of them don't get it, but the first person who does get it is like a pebble in the pond and if one person sees them go to their phone... then they all do it.

Don't learn anything. Just be the first to tweet it.

I hate Americans.

You go to conferences? Same here. We should network.

Archived