Vikings Message board closes down over AP

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24711321/vikings-message-board-shuts-down-calls-teams-handling-of-peterson-cowardly

VikingsMessageBoard.com, which has been in existence since at least 2005, has shuttered its virtual doors for good.

Not surprisingly, this has everything to do with running back Adrian Peterson, who was released Saturday on $15,000 bond following his arrest for "reckless or negligent injury to a child." Specifically: beating his four-year-old son with a switch, leaving welts and bruises behind.

The Vikings announced Monday that Peterson would return to practice with the team and play this Sunday.

"Vikings Message Board has been shut down permanently. It will not return. There are two primary reasons.

"1. The Vikings cowardly decision to reinstate a child abuser and think that an apology will make this blow over. We will not stand for this arrogance and we will no longer be the home of any support of the Vikings. We stand for those who cannot defend themselves.

"2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think child abuse is "cultural" or worse, openly advocate child abuse as a reasonable method of punishment. This ends here. Yes, a few board members have ruined it for everyone. Congratulations, a--holes."

BOLD MOVE, MY QUESTION IS............WHAT WOULD HAVE TO HAPPEN FOR MAX TO SHUT DOWN JETNATION??  Jets draft Rex Ryans son?  Woody names himself head coach??  Tapes surface of Greg Buttle and a baby goat??  

BOLD MOVE, MY QUESTION IS............WHAT WOULD HAVE TO HAPPEN FOR MAX TO SHUT DOWN JETNATION??  Jets draft Rex Ryans son?  Woody names himself head coach??  Tapes surface of Greg Buttle and a baby goat??  

All of these scenarios would call for rapid expansion of JN, not a shutdown.  Max loves traffic.  :)

This message board isn't being bold, it's being cowardly.  Rather than allow a conversation to happen about all this they took their ball and went home.  Supporting a team is about rooting for the uniform, not an individual player.  Even when it happens to a be a mega-star like AP.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24711321/vikings-message-board-shuts-down-calls-teams-handling-of-peterson-cowardly

VikingsMessageBoard.com, which has been in existence since at least 2005, has shuttered its virtual doors for good.

Not surprisingly, this has everything to do with running back Adrian Peterson, who was released Saturday on $15,000 bond following his arrest for "reckless or negligent injury to a child." Specifically: beating his four-year-old son with a switch, leaving welts and bruises behind.

The Vikings announced Monday that Peterson would return to practice with the team and play this Sunday.

"Vikings Message Board has been shut down permanently. It will not return. There are two primary reasons.

"1. The Vikings cowardly decision to reinstate a child abuser and think that an apology will make this blow over. We will not stand for this arrogance and we will no longer be the home of any support of the Vikings. We stand for those who cannot defend themselves.

"2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think child abuse is "cultural" or worse, openly advocate child abuse as a reasonable method of punishment. This ends here. Yes, a few board members have ruined it for everyone. Congratulations, a--holes."

It would have to be something extreme. 

I mean, we are living in an age in which Tom Shane, PatsFanTX, SAR I and shasta are all posting on the same board at the same time. If that doesn't shut this place down...

http://vikingsmessageboard.com

BOLD MOVE, MY QUESTION IS............WHAT WOULD HAVE TO HAPPEN FOR MAX TO SHUT DOWN JETNATION?? Jets draft Rex Ryans son? Woody names himself head coach?? Tapes surface of Greg Buttle and a baby goat??

Really can't imagine any scenario that would have us shut down like that.

Translation:  We had no traffic, and running the board became to much of a pain in the rear with all this crap going on

Translation:  We had no traffic, and running the board became to much of a pain in the rear with all this crap going on

"If we ban all the assholes, we are left with nothing so we might as well pull the plug right now".

A successful message board panders to the idiotic whims of it members.   Bunch of quitters over there. 

so the website was in existence when some vikings players urinated on prostitutes in the sex boat scandal, and survived that but can't survive this. your story is falling apart under questioning.

Haha. Yeah, that was OK. Guy goes too far in disciplining his kid is a bridge too far. 

I'm still stuck on the horrifically bad name of this board. vikingsmessageboard.com? I wouldn't post there if I was a Vikings fan because the name alone evokes a lack of creativity so severe, it suggests that the mere act of reading it would render one unconscious. 

If Jets Insider sold for, say, $60,000 (being generous) and it's been around for 15 years, the sum total of its annual value as an online entity is a whopping $4,000 a year or less than what the average fan pays for a single season of Jets upper deck seats or a pack-a-day smoking habit. Chump-change.

These board owners are hitting their 50's, they're not making money, and the Twitter generation is making the experience tough to manage. So instead of taking a pittance from Scout, he's shutting his doors and walking away dramatically instead, making it look like he's bailing on his community for a just cause instead of what it really is- he's tired of the whole thing.

Fireman Ed was onto something.

SAR I

If Jets Insider sold for, say, $60,000 (being generous) and it's been around for 15 years, the sum total of its annual value as an online entity is a whopping $4,000 a year or less than what the average fan pays for a single season of Jets upper deck seats or a pack-a-day smoking habit. Chump-change.

These board owners are hitting their 50's, they're not making money, and the Twitter generation is making the experience tough to manage. So instead of taking a pittance from Scout, he's shutting his doors and walking away dramatically instead, making it look like he's bailing on his community for a just cause instead of what it really is- he's tired of the whole thing.

Fireman Ed was onto something.

SAR I

LOL!!!!

I disagree with your math but I thoroughly enjoyed your post.  Oh and I am only 45, so I guess that makes me a baby for the message board crowd. :)

LOL!!!!

I disagree with your math but I thoroughly enjoyed your post.  Oh and I am only 45, so I guess that makes me a baby for the message board crowd. :)

See? I'm a good poster who adds value. Told ya.

I feel for you, can't be easy to own this entity, I'm sure you have a job and a family and the free time you're barely able to eke out is sometimes better spent elsewhere. I'm positive that over at JI they take the thing too seriously, think it's some million dollar entity, hang onto their post counts like gold, but in the end it's just some middle-age guy's part time hobby that got too big with no ROI and when it gets too burdensome, <poof>, it's gone like the wind.

SAR I

See? I'm a good poster who adds value. Told ya.

I feel for you, can't be easy to own this entity, I'm sure you have a job and a family and the free time you're barely able to eke out is sometimes better spent elsewhere. I'm positive that over at JI they take the thing too seriously, think it's some million dollar entity, hang onto their post counts like gold, but in the end it's just some middle-age guy's part time hobby that got too big with no ROI and when it gets too burdensome, <poof>, it's gone like the wind.

SAR I

I always knew you had value, I thought you were a good poster on JI!  :)  I am glad you are here.

I agree with the taking it too seriously thing. We run this here where consistency is king. But monetization has never been the goal so that affords us tremendous flexibility.  I am fortunate to be able to pay the bills off of my day job. So many people spend a ton of time on this site, but everyone seems to do it because it is fun. I don't know what the end game is for this site or sites like this, but I know that I am not anywhere even close to worrying about that. We had over a million visits last year, so the traffic would be valuable to some entity. But as I told Scout, we just aren't interested in that conversation.

For me personally it has been about learning.  I took the skills I learned here and ran a Marketing department for a few years. I was an I.T. Director before that. So that makes it pretty cool to me, that the stuff learned here has real world implications. That is far more enjoyable to me than trying to talk to Scout about how much each poster is worth. :)

what a bunch of drama queens

the vikings decision was obviously a bad one, influenced by the players stature and salary etc

but to fall on your sword when the traffic is going to spike is just an excuse to quit something you didn't enjoy or were losing money on or whatever

lame

what a bunch of drama queens

the vikings decision was obviously a bad one, influenced by the players stature and salary etc

but to fall on your sword when the traffic is going to spike is just an excuse to quit something you didn't enjoy or were losing money on or whatever

lame

quittin in style is an artform

Pics or video of the Mod Lounge on a typical night.  Max & the Mods will all have to leave the country.

Archived