Ryan to Blame For Jets Discipline Problem in Green Bay--Steve Politi column

T0mShane

Except they really haven't been. 

In 2009, the Jets committed the 13th fewest penalties in the league. 

In 2010: they were middle of the pack at 18th. 

In 2011: they were 18th again. 

In 2012: the Jets committed the third FEWEST penalties in the NFL. 

In 2013: they were 23rd in a year in which the most penalized team in the league won the ******* Super Bowl. 

Watch more football.

Thank you for posting stats. They really help cement nothing about your point.

Disciplinary problems go beyond penalties, as I've already alluded to. If you actually watch Jets games, the whole time Rex has been here, you see the entire history of how his lack of awareness, control and discipline has impacted this team.

Whether it is penalties, clock management, substitutions, situational awareness... it all amounts to slop. Undisciplined slop. 

We lose games because of that slop. The amount of unfulfilled potential for the teams Rex has had all goes back to Rex. I know you guys love the "Rex is a master motivator" thing, but there are more times that we lose because Rex is fumbling his responsibilities than there are times that we win because Rex is master motivating. More often than not that stupid Rex brand of motivating leads to the slap dick behavior of his playes anyway.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for posting stats. They really help cement nothing about your point.

Disciplinary problems go beyond penalties, as I've already alluded to. If you actually watch Jets games, the whole time Rex has been here, you see the entire history of how his lack of awareness, control and discipline has impacted this team.

Whether it is penalties, clock management, substitutions, situational awareness... it all amounts to slop. Undisciplined slop. 

We lose games because of that slop. The amount of unfulfilled potential for the teams Rex has had all goes back to Rex. I know you guys love the "Rex is a master motivator" thing, but there are more times that we lose because Rex is fumbling his responsibilities than there are times that we win because Rex is master motivating. More often than not that stupid Rex brand of motivating leads to the slap dick behavior of his playes anyway.

Which is statistically impossible, but... whatever...

Probably right, but I'm in the 5% that pretty much only watches out-of-market games. I haven't lived in the tri-state area for 20 years.

If I were a Colts fan or 49ers fan I'd be just as bent. Harbaugh got schooled. Pagano ran out of bodies and answers. The thing is, I don't come to JetNation to discuss the Colts. I also know that neither coach has established a track record for undisciplined football like Rex has.

The assertion that because other teams choked away wins makes it okay that the Jets did is the most disgusting part of your counterpoint. Shameful.

Dumb JIF is dumb. As usual.

Nobody says its o.k.  Just pointing out the Jets arent alone.  Its the knee jerk overreactions that are comical and you're the king of it.  The same sh*t happens everywhere else but if it happens here, its unacceptable.  If that's how you roll, cool.  Doesnt make it right, doenst make it wrong...but its a stupid way to think. 

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHA.... you should avoid arguments.

Do you really think that wasn't high on the list of the reasons Tannenbaum was let go?

The Jets had signed Drew Stanton to be the backup. 

Then when the Manning trade happened, Back Page Mikey swung into action because he thought it would impress Woody. 

Rex treated Tebow like a cancer because he never wanted him on the team. 

You need to stop trolling and start making sense. 

Probably right, but I'm in the 5% that pretty much only watches out-of-market games. I haven't lived in the tri-state area for 20 years.

If I were a Colts fan or 49ers fan I'd be just as bent. Harbaugh got schooled. Pagano ran out of bodies and answers. The thing is, I don't come to JetNation to discuss the Colts. I also know that neither coach has established a track record for undisciplined football like Rex has.

The assertion that because other teams choked away wins makes it okay that the Jets did is the most disgusting part of your counterpoint. Shameful.

Dumb JIF is dumb. As usual.

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHA.... you should avoid arguments.

I'll take the insults as an admission that you know you've already lost the argument. 

lol so now discipline is the coachs responsibility? smh

They were on the road and Idzik didn't sign enough corners, so...

The head coach needing to instill discipline is a fine argument and may even lead to a stimulating debate so long as the example being quoted is something more relevant than "duh... the Jets commit too many penalties... derp."

Especially when you haven't taken the 30 seconds it takes to Google the stats to see if you are right. 

Nobody says its o.k.  Just pointing out the Jets arent alone.  Its the knee jerk overreactions that are comical and you're the king of it.  The same sh*t happens everywhere else but if it happens here, its unacceptable.  If that's how you roll, cool.  Doesnt make it right, doenst make it wrong...but its a stupid way to think. 

with the lack of talent, no excuse to have a superior opponent on the ropes and let him off due to stupidity/bad play calling. all week i'm sure rex did what he is good at: motivating the team, making them think they had a shot, getting more out of them then their talent dictates--but then it is the coaches that don't hold up their end of the bargain. very frustrating. so yes, new england has games when they have a load of penalties. but is their a player in that locker room that doesn't trust the pats staff to more often than not put them in a position to win the game if they follow the game plan? can't say that about the jets. of course it's speculation, no one here is in the locker room, but hey it's a messageboard after all.

She came on to me, sorry.

it's cool, what's your address i have a few credit card bills to forward your way.

You have to play smart and having your best player on defense throwing punches getting ejected is not smart. Where is the discipline with that

Totally Rex's fault that Mo Wilk decided to throw punches.  He was basically calling him a pussy from the sidelines because he wasnt throwing punches.

Man, that Rex.

I'll take the insults as an admission that you know you've already lost the argument. 

That's not how I work.

You and JIF are both wrong in the whole Jets fans don't watch other teams angle. I do, I addressed that line, and you both sound foolish thinking that is relevant in what we're discussing. Neither of you has shown anything more than surface level knowledge of what we're talking about.

You specifically have shown no ability to provide a counterpoint that isn't pure foolishness. Stats that isolate penalties, and side-step the overall discipline problems this team has had Rex's entire tenure. I can't even respect your argument, because you are evading the overall point. So, instead I mock you.

I'll never compromise on having standards I expect this team to meet, and you seemingly will never compromise on making excuses for mediocrity. I've provided context and viable examples to at least provide visibility into what pisses me off about this team, while you've done little more than make vague responses peppered with "watch more football". Earmarks of a counter-point without substance.

That's not how I work.

You and JIF are both wrong in the whole Jets fans don't watch other teams angle. I do, I addressed that line, and you both sound foolish thinking that is relevant in what we're discussing. Neither of you has shown anything more than surface level knowledge of what we're talking about.

You specifically have shown no ability to provide a counterpoint that isn't pure foolishness. Stats that isolate penalties, and side-step the overall discipline problems this team has had Rex's entire tenure. I can't even respect your argument, because you are evading the overall point. So, instead I mock you.

I'll never compromise on having standards I expect this team to meet, and you seemingly will never compromise on making excuses for mediocrity. I've provided context and viable examples to at least provide visibility into what pisses me off about this team, while you've done little more than make vague responses peppered with "watch more football". Earmarks of a counter-point without substance.

:hand:

The head coach needing to instill discipline is a fine argument and may even lead to a stimulating debate so long as the example being quoted is something more relevant than "duh... the Jets commit too many penalties... derp."

Especially when you haven't taken the 30 seconds it takes to Google the stats to see if you are right. 

You are literally the only goofball here who equates "discipline problems" to "amount of penalties" and nothing more. Penalties are an extension of a larger, prevailing issues with Rex's football team.

If I didn't like you, you know it that 3-legged dogs deserve pity sort of way, then I'd really tee off on the level of density you've brought to this argument.

Totally Rex's fault that Mo Wilk decided to throw punches.  He was basically calling him a pussy from the sidelines because he wasnt throwing punches.

Man, that Rex.

Rex wants everyone to be tough guy and us against them - no one is going want to play us- sets a tone for players

Man, that Rex.

what happened after the punch? mo walked over to rex and rex calmly talked to him. didn't get in his face. didn't give him the evil eye/cold shoulder. and then mo walked off the field with a smile and his hands in the air like he just won the heavyweight title. will he be benched for a quarter or even a series this week? doubt it. so ok, even if we grant you that it wasn't rex's fault that mo threw that punch this time, it will be his fault next time based on all of this. and that is the point we are trying to make.

Do you really think that wasn't high on the list of the reasons Tannenbaum was let go?

The Jets had signed Drew Stanton to be the backup. 

Then when the Manning trade happened, Back Page Mikey swung into action because he thought it would impress Woody. 

Rex treated Tebow like a cancer because he never wanted him on the team. 

You need to stop trolling and start making sense.

You go boy...after being completely dejected all of Sunday and yesterday I have come to the conclusion that in the end, what we witnessed on Sunday happens in regularity to other teams as well. Of course it hurts like a bitch but in the end, that one game will not decide whether the Jets are contenders or not. 

The blowup last week will offer no indication of how the team will play on Monday night or beyond. If we beat the Bears and Pats all will be well. If we keep giving up leads and making costly errors than it will become a trend and that's a whole other story. 

with the lack of talent, no excuse to have a superior opponent on the ropes and let him off due to stupidity/bad play calling. all week i'm sure rex did what he is good at: motivating the team, making them think they had a shot, getting more out of them then their talent dictates--but then it is the coaches that don't hold up their end of the bargain. very frustrating. so yes, new england has games when they have a load of penalties. but is their a player in that locker room that doesn't trust the pats staff to more often than not put them in a position to win the game if they follow the game plan? can't say that about the jets. of course it's speculation, no one here is in the locker room, but hey it's a messageboard after all.

it's cool, what's your address i have a few credit card bills to forward your way.

I dont blame coaching for the loss.  Crazy sh*t happened that game, none of it in favor of the Jets.  It was a bizarre game.  They lost their best players on both sides of the ball and still tied the game up in the 4th if not for some sh*t I've never seen before.  They overcame some sh*tty adversity and still had their team in a position to win.

Coaches make mistakes every week.  No coach is perfect.   ts how you respond that matters.  The Jets coaching staff responded by giving their team an opportunity to win that game. 

Jets fan want perfection but it doesnt exist. 

Rex wants everyone to be tough guy and us against them - no one is going want to play us- sets a tone for players

JIF doens't understand cause and effect. Unless it fits his agenda. Like this...

"Take a swipe at one of ours..." team finds way to dig deep and bravado their way past the mighty Oakland Raiders = in JIF's mind that makes Rex master motivator

"Take a swipe at one of ours..." team gets in fight after a 2-point conversion, as part of a downward spiral of undisciplined, unorganized, ridiculousness as they give away a gift-wrapped road win = in JIF's mind this is all the players fault and has nothing to do with the culture the coach has created

what happened after the punch? mo walked over to rex and rex calmly talked to him. didn't get in his face. didn't give him the evil eye/cold shoulder. and then mo walked off the field with a smile and his hands in the air like he just won the heavyweight title. will he be benched for a quarter or even a series this week? doubt it. so ok, even if we grant you that it wasn't rex's fault that mo threw that punch this time, it will be his fault next time based on all of this. and that is the point we are trying to make.

I thought he gave him a hug and made him a captain. 

I dont blame coaching for the loss.  Crazy sh*t happened that game, none of it in favor of the Jets.  It was a bizarre game.  They lost their best players on both sides of the ball and still tied the game up in the 4th if not for some sh*t I've never seen before.  They overcame some sh*tty adversity and still had their team in a position to win.

Coaches make mistakes every week.  No coach is perfect.   ts how you respond that matters.  The Jets coaching staff responded by giving their team an opportunity to win that game. 

Jets fan want perfection but it doesnt exist. 

This is a far cry from asking for perfection. 

Anything above the spectrum from "slap dick garbage" to "mediocre and lucky" that Rex has ushered in would be nice though.

You are literally the only goofball here who equates "discipline problems" to "amount of penalties" and nothing more. Penalties are an extension of a larger, prevailing issues with Rex's football team.

If I didn't like you, you know it that 3-legged dogs deserve pity sort of way, then I'd really tee off on the level of density you've brought to this argument.

Again with the personal insults. I haven't insulted you. No need to go there other than to attempt to get a rise out of me.

I literally never said that discipline problems equate to amount of penalties and nothing more. In fact I have posted quite to the contrary. You are clearly more interested in trolling and I'm not going to encourage you. 

So much so he wants his best player to get ejected from games.  

Listen to yourself for a second.

You dont like how Rex responded.  Cool.  Doesnt make you right.  Everyone deals with sh*t differently.  Many different styles of leadership in this world.    Who's to say that yelling is the right thing to do?  Besides, thats not Rex and the ejection was bull sh*t.

If Mo Wilk gets ejected again.  Lets revisit this.  I highly doubt he does.  

JIF doens't understand cause and effect. Unless it fits his agenda. Like this...

"Take a swipe at one of ours..." team finds way to dig deep and bravado their way past the mighty Oakland Raiders = in JIF's mind that makes Rex master motivator

"Take a swipe at one of ours..." team gets in fight after a 2-point conversion, as part of a downward spiral of undisciplined, unorganized, ridiculousness as they give away a gift-wrapped road win = in JIF's mind this is all the players fault and has nothing to do with the culture the coach has created

He said that 6 years ago.  

Again with the personal insults. I haven't insulted you. No need to go there other than to attempt to get a rise out of me.

I literally never said that discipline problems equate to amount of penalties and nothing more. In fact I have posted quite to the contrary. You are clearly more interested in trolling and I'm not going to encourage you. 

Welcome to arguing with the Ape.  He'll twist and turn until you give up.  Its his thing.  

Explain how the joke about the 3-legged dog is "personal". Baby.

Also, half of your counter arguments are about Googling the amount of penalties in a discussion about discipline problems. So, while you don't think you literally say it, you propped your crappy argument up on it by saying it.

I'm also not trolling, so don't use that as your "I'm walking away" excuse. I 100% feel this way about Rex and the discipline of this football team. I've been talking about it this way since he was hired, even when he was lucking us into the playoffs I talked about it as a problem. My tune has not changed in however many years he's wasted for us. So don't accuse me of making this up to agitate you. 

I just out-argued you. Why?

Because you are arguing hope and I'm arguing reality. I'm with you, I hope Rex proves me wrong. He hasn't yet. Sorry, bud.

I thought he gave him a hug and made him a captain. 

lol wouldn't surprise me. i get it though and feel or rex. it is hard to find that balance. everyone wants to be liked. he isn't the first person to feel that way, everyone does to some degree. the irony is some of the coaches that have earned extreme personal loyalty were also known hard cases who were masters of playing mind games with the players. parcells and coughlin come to mind. not saying those guys are perfect, but you can be a hard ass and still be adored. there was not a guy on any team that parcells coached that wouldn't run through a wall for him or follow him to his next coaching stop. and he made all of them feel about an inch tall at some point or another. i know rex will never be parcells, it isn't his style. but it's as if he is afraid to be the bad cop when it is warranted because then he will lose the adoration of "his guys," which is a huge advantage for a coach. but that just isn't true at all. players may bristle at first at the tough coaches, but oftentimes those are the ones you grow to love the most and fight the hardest to seek approval from. now you can go too far and never show a soft side like mangini, that is not what i am suggesting.

Archived