Ryan to Blame For Jets Discipline Problem in Green Bay--Steve Politi column

T0mShane

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The quote is representative of the mentality and culture he has brought to this team. Which is 100% relevant today.

Please tell me you aren't such a dimwit that you really needed that explained.

Totally.  So much so he encourages his best player to get ejected.  

Happens every week.

You dont like how Rex responded.  Cool.  Doesnt make you right.  Everyone deals with sh*t differently.  Many different styles of leadership in this world.    Who's to say that yelling is the right thing to do?  Besides, thats not Rex and the ejection was bull sh*t.

If Mo Wilk gets ejected again.  Lets revisit this.  I highly doubt he does.  

bud, it's an opinion. thanks for trying to make this about "right" and "wrong" though. we are all products of our experience. and every soft coach i ever had the locker room ran wild. sure i thought it was great at the time. but the one tough ass coach i had--and who doled out the most punishment--was the only one at my wedding and that i still keep in touch with. that's the type of loyalty coaches like parcells earn. lifetime loyalty. not by ass slapping and towel whippin in the locker room. is it andectodal? sure. but life is experiences and yes it impacts everyone's opinions. and that's what this is: an opinion. no need to get into value judgments of "right" versus "wrong."

Explain how the joke about the 3-legged dog is "personal". Baby.

Also, half of your counter arguments are about Googling the amount of penalties in a discussion about discipline problems. So, while you don't think you literally say it, you propped your crappy argument up on it by saying it.

I'm also not trolling, so don't use that as your "I'm walking away" excuse. I 100% feel this way about Rex and the discipline of this football team. I've been talking about it this way since he was hired, even when he was lucking us into the playoffs I talked about it as a problem. My tune has not changed in however many years he's wasted for us. So don't accuse me of making this up to agitate you. 

I just out-argued you. Why?

Because you are arguing hope and I'm arguing reality. I'm with you, I hope Rex proves me wrong. He hasn't yet. Sorry, bud.

:hand:

Except he gets blamed for it constantly. Do you read the papers? Do you read this board? Do you watch television?

That might be because this team has constantly had discipline problems since he's been here. Which makes blaming him for it constantly sort of a given... which is the crux of this thread... and your lack of awareness of this is probably why you couldn't figure out which end is up in the argument.

bud, it's an opinion. thanks for trying to make this about "right" and "wrong" though. we are all products of our experience. and every soft coach i ever had the locker room ran wild. sure i thought it was great at the time. but the one tough ass coach i had--and who doled out the most punishment--was the only one at my wedding and that i still keep in touch with. that's the type of loyalty coaches like parcells earn. lifetime loyalty. not by ass slapping and towel whippin in the locker room. is it andectodal? sure. but life is experiences and yes it impacts everyone's opinions. and that's what this is: an opinion. no need to get into value judgments of "right" versus "wrong."

I'm not trying to make it about right or wrong.  Which is why I said, there are many styles of leadership in the world. 

The best coach I ever played for was a softy, had his players backs and took the brunt for everything.  We were awesome that year.  In comes a disciplinary a$$hole and the team hated him and we sucked. 

I dont really care which style coaches the Jets.  Like you, I want to see a winner.  I think Rex can be that guy and thats his style.  Cool. 

That might be because this team has constantly had discipline problems since he's been here. Which makes blaming him for it constantly sort of a given... which is the crux of this thread... and your lack of awareness of this is probably why you couldn't figure out which end is up in the argument.

So again I ask... where is this lack of accountability? There is constant criticism 24/7 to an astounding degree. 

The owner and GM obviously disagree with you and believe Rex's positives outweigh his negatives. If they change their minds based on what happens over the course of the entire season and not just one game, I am sure he will be dismissed in the offseason. 

So again I ask... where is this lack of accountability? There is constant criticism 24/7 to an astounding degree. 

The owner and GM obviously disagree with you and believe Rex's positives outweigh his negatives. If they change their minds based on what happens over the course of the entire season and not just one game, I am sure he will be dismissed in the offseason. 

Rex is gone after this season.  100% guaranteed.

It will be awesome.  Everyone will be in love with the new Head Coach until he makes his first mistake and then he'll be the biggest idiot in the world and destined to fail.  It will be great. 

I'm not trying to make it about right or wrong.  Which is why I said, there are many styles of leadership in the world. 

The best coach I ever played for was a softy, had his players backs and took the brunt for everything.  We were awesome that year.  In comes a disciplinary a$$hole and the team hated him and we sucked. 

I dont really care which style coaches the Jets.  Like you, I want to see a winner.  I think Rex can be that guy and thats his style.  Cool. 

Fair points.

Where we differ is that I do care, when it is not giving us the winner we want. Which brings us back to consistent themes in Jet losses and bad performances under Rex:

1. lack of discipline  

2. lack of talent on roster

3. no lack of excuses

Fair points.

Where we differ is that I do care, when it is not giving us the winner we want. Which brings us back to consistent themes in Jet losses and bad performances under Rex:

1. lack of discipline  

2. lack of talent on roster

3. no lack of excuses

BOOM!   Rex sucks.  Cant wait till we high five next season with our new Head Coach.

<3

yeah, ok.

You know better.

When disciplinary mistakes repeat themselves. There is obviously a lack of accountability. Which is why there is constant criticism. 

I really don't have time to explain cause and effect to you. 

Our owner is an idiot and over-rides the GM. Please, if you must argue, don't prop yourself up on Woody's decision making.

You know better.

When disciplinary mistakes repeat themselves. There is obviously a lack of accountability. Which is why there is constant criticism. 

I really don't have time to explain cause and effect to you. 

Our owner is an idiot and over-rides the GM. Please, if you must argue, don't prop yourself up on Woody's decision making.

When was the last time the Jets got into a fight with the other team in a game? This isn't a common occurrence is it? Or is this happening at an alarming rate that I am not aware of even though I literally watch every second of every Jets game?

well rex's style lacks impact based on big mo's reaction after their chat. so yeah, it is my opinion that's rex style needs some work. when you screw up big time and have a chat with the boss and walk out of the conversation pumping your fists in the air, something is missing in my opinion.

When was the last time the Jets got into a fight with the other team in a game? This isn't a common occurrence is it? Or is this happening at an alarming rate that I am not aware of even though I literally watch every second of every Jets game?

Week 2 vs. Green Bay.

Preseason week 3 vs. Bengals.

Given that we've only played 3 games that "mean something" in 2014. The Jets got in fights in 2 of the 3 of them, ironically in both situations the Jets were getting their asses handed to them.

Try harder.

Week 2 vs. Green Bay.

Preseason week 3 vs. Bengals.

Given that we've only played 3 games that "mean something" in 2014. The Jets got in fights in 2 of the 3 of them, ironically in both situations the Jets were getting their asses handed to them.

Try harder.

Bengals were week 2 in preseason.  :tongue:

Preseason games don't really count. I'll admit I didn't see that fight. Were the starters involved or did the fight involve training camp fodder that got cut?

Have there been a rash of fights in Jets games the last five years?

More than other teams? 

well rex's style lacks impact based on big mo's reaction after their chat. so yeah, it is my opinion that's rex style needs some work. when you screw up big time and have a chat with the boss and walk out of the conversation pumping your fists in the air, something is missing in my opinion.

You're right. I'm wrong.

Go Jets

Rex sucks

Can't wait for 2015

Bengals were week 2 in preseason. :tongue:

Preseason games don't really count. I'll admit I didn't see that fight. Were the starters involved or did the fight involve training camp fodder that got cut?

Have there been a rash of fights in Jets games the last five years?

More than other teams?

Every week for 6 years.

Do you watch Jets games?

It isn't the amount of penalties, as much as it is the type of penalties, when they occur and how they impact the game.

Week 1 vs. Oakland we let the worst roster in the NFL hang with us. Week 2 vs. Green Bay we had them right where we wanted them and then we melted down.

The Patriots also let themselves get beat in Week 1 because of penalties, and the fanbase was livid over it. So, your example does nothing but actually reinforce the validity of why lack of discipline and excessive penalties is unacceptable. 

Pats had 15 penalties week 2 for 163 yards.  If the Vikings weren't playing with a huge distraction, and their best player out of the game, you have no idea how that game could have turned out.  Playing a one dimensional team isn't that difficult.

I can't kill Rex for falling short in this game, which they had no business even competing, let alone leading. They were 8.5 point dogs, the whole nation knew they were going to lose this game. The fact they were competitive at all was a credit to Rex. They could have been blown out and no one would have been surprised. 

Rex is in a bad spot. He's coaching one of the least talented teams in all of football, the cheapest roster in football and one of the youngest rosters to boot. Rex gets them revved up to the point that they commit penalties. They are extremely aggressive because that's their only chance. 

If Rex had them playing calmer they wouldn't even be in that game.

You know who gets to be calm and collected? Teams with alot of great expensive veteran players. 

Archived