How happy are NFL refs?

Thor99

The added emphasis on the cornerbacks is a terrible idea. 

If the NFL really wants to just re-write the passing record books at least be more transparent about it. 

millenials love instant gratification and blinking scoreboards

I don't know if the refs are to blame at this point. Nobody knows what a catch is anymore, it's clear that roughing the passer is left to such a degree of subjectivity that they shouldn't be asked to call that one; they have asked these guys to learn an Illiad's worth of rules in a game that moves a mile per millisecond where everything gets judged by their eyes. I'm not sure there are any human beings on the planet who can call a fair game with the rules and procedures that this league uses now. Really takes the air out of the game too.

I've hated the officiated in both games this year.

Is it true that the Packers didn't have a single holding call the entire game on Sunday? Starting a rookie center and Sherrod for Bulaga? I find it so hard to believe they did nothing to merit a holding call the entire game. When does ANY offensive line go an entire game without one?

And with the TO fiasco, if the ref is instructed to not turn from the field, why doesn't the NFL simply hire more referees, it's not like they're short on money. Add another ref to be an extra pair of eyes at critical moments in a game so that one ref doesn't have to choose between the field and making sure the HC is actually calling a timeout or in other situations where more eyes are needed.

They just keep having a direct influence on the final score of games. They need to be told that no one pays to see them

Noone pays to see them, but somebody may be paying for outcomes.  It happened in the NBA. 

I don't know if the refs are to blame at this point. Nobody knows what a catch is anymore, it's clear that roughing the passer is left to such a degree of subjectivity that they shouldn't be asked to call that one; they have asked these guys to learn an Illiad's worth of rules in a game that moves a mile per millisecond where everything gets judged by their eyes. I'm not sure there are any human beings on the planet who can call a fair game with the rules and procedures that this league uses now. Really takes the air out of the game too.

We judge things with our eyes?  I thought we used math.

With all the headlines being grabbed by sh*tbird players, the sh*tty job they're doing is going unnoticed.

I was thinking this not long ago. The officiating this season has been bad, all over the league (even though it feels extra bad against the Jets). The worst part is that it isn't just bad, it's inconsistent. I hate the way they're calling defense this year, but I'd be able to deal with it if they were doing it all the time. Sometimes they are, sometimes they're not. It's awful, and I feel like nobody in the media has mentioned it at all.

Archived