Would the grass be greener...

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

Someone posted a question today on Twitter asking if it's possible that Harbaugh leaves the 49ers and joins the Jets next year.  I'd never considered that but my first thought was that if Harbaugh was the coach of the Jets I think we would perform better, win more games and be a legitimate playoff threat.

I don't believe we are talented enough top to bottom to be considered a real threat yet.  However, I think we're taking legitimate strides in that direction.  With another year of development, another round of FA and another draft we should have plenty to be on the cusp.

We know what Rex can do and the type of coach he is.  We've seen plenty.

I believe we can be a team that if we brought the right head guy in here can exorcise the demons and finally get over the hump.

Thoughts?

Anything is better than Rex Ryan.  Anything.  Even if the Jets won on Sunday.  Doesnt matter.  He sucks and the Jets are doomed until 2015.

Really hope its someone super cool like Harbaugh who choked away a 20-7 lead going into the 4th quarter in their home opener in a new stadium.

The people that can't talk constructively about Rex Ryan's shortcomings, like JIF, seem to be under the delusion that if we get rid of Rex we will never have a good defense again... and that having the good Rex defense is worth the price of scoring points on offense and winning games. 

Good luck getting them to sign on for Harbaugh who would probably want to do something like... I dunno... make the whole team dominant.

The people that can't talk constructively about Rex Ryan's shortcomings, like JIF, seem to be under the delusion that if we get rid of Rex we will never have a good defense again... and that having the good Rex defense is worth the price of scoring points on offense and winning games. 

Good luck getting them to sign on for Harbaugh who would probably want to do something like... I dunno... make the whole team dominant.

Rex sucks.  Why talk about it?

Harbaugh coaches a bad ass defense, that gives up 20-7 4th quarter leads.  I want him!  Well truthfully, anything other than Rex will do.

Rex sucks.  Why talk about it?

Harbaugh coaches a bad ass defense, that gives up 20-7 4th quarter leads.  I want him!  Well truthfully, anything other than Rex will do.

You are doing it wrong. We want better than Rex. 

Semantics, I know, but at the end of the day it is us understanding this, and you not, that makes you look like a dumb sh*t.

Anything is better than Rex Ryan.  Anything.  Even if the Jets won on Sunday.  Doesnt matter.  He sucks and the Jets are doomed until 2015.

Really hope its someone super cool like Harbaugh who choked away a 20-7 lead going into the 4th quarter in their home opener in a new stadium.

Hey you convinced me JiF. Rex sux.

I'm done with him.

Hey you convinced me JiF. Rex sux.

I'm done with him.

Dont thank me.  Thank the great posters of JN.  They're the ones who have helped me see the light.  I tend to like people for all the wrong reasons and Rex fooled me for 6 freaking years.  Cant believe it got so fooled.  I'm a dumbass but this is my biggest dumbass moment.

Here's to 2015!

Dont thank me.  Thank the great posters of JN.  They're the ones who have helped me see the light.  I tend to like people for all the wrong reasons and Rex fooled me for 6 freaking years.  Cant believe it got so fooled.  I'm a dumbass but this is my biggest dumbass moment.

Here's to 2015!

I wish so bad that you were funny.

I'm not trying to be funny (not that I could be funny if I tried).  I'm just talking Jets with my boys.

Rex Ryan sucks!

Lets Go Jets.  

2015 is our year! 

The emotional grief that criticizing Rex causes you is alarming.

Let's change the subject. Would you submit a waiver on Bernard Pierce of Knile Davis if you have the first waiver priority tonight?

The emotional grief that criticizing Rex causes you is alarming.

Let's change the subject. Would you submit a waiver on Bernard Pierce of Knile Davis if you have the first waiver priority tonight?

Not emotional at all.  Just like all of you, I've changed my stance on our Head Coach.  Rex sucks.  It took awhile for me to come around.  But here I am!

Not emotional at all.  Just like all of you, I've changed my stance on our Head Coach.  Rex sucks.  It took awhile for me to come around.  But here I am!

I never changed my stance. I've said the same things since he was introduced. 

Don't EVER associate yourself with me again.

I never changed my stance. I've said the same things since he was introduced. 

Don't EVER associate yourself with me again.

Man, you're smart!  You've known it all along.  Dont know why we even debate things.  Just listen to the Ape.  He's always right about everything.

At least we stand together now in our hatred for the worst Head Coach ever!!! 

Me and you buddy, together forever.  

Man, you're smart!  You've known it all along.  Dont know why we even debate things.  Just listen to the Ape.  He's always right about everything.

At least we stand together now in our hatred for the worst Head Coach ever!!! 

Me and you buddy, together forever.  

The first comment Rex made sure to make after the timeout: "It wasn't me."

Look at Rex's legacy, if you can call it that, in the time he's been here. Everyone around him thrown under the bus... "It wasn't me."

Rex's greatest strength is self-preservation. I feel bad for you that you actually buy into the empty jargon he slops out, presenting himself as though he's so committed that he'd fall on the sword for his ideals. The hardest thing for Rex to mutter is "That's on me." and the easiest "It wasn't me."

Suck on that for a bit.

Rex isn't terrible, he's a good, no, a better than good defensive coordinator but having said that, the big problem Rex has is he is only 1/3 of a head coach-the other 2/3's are being run by the OC and STs coach.  In a way Rex is a lot like his very first draft pick, a guy who was pretty good, in fact pretty damn good enough to get the team to consecutive championship games and to win more playoff games than almost any other guys who ran the Jets but then both Rex and his first draftee just never got any better and continued to use the same excuses and say the same things after every loss and every win, praising the opponents and saying how he has to get better. It's almost as sickening as listening to Mangini talk about the Jets core values again and again. I suspect that Rex Ryan will be able to secure a job as a DC somewhere, but his head coaching days are coming to an end-at least he won't be like Herm and Mangini, he will be able get work  coaching the pro level and won't be relegated to working behind the desk at the NFLN.

The first comment Rex made sure to make after the timeout: "It wasn't me."

Look at Rex's legacy, if you can call it that, in the time he's been here. Everyone around him thrown under the bus... "It wasn't me."

Rex's greatest strength is self-preservation. I feel bad for you that you actually buy into the empty jargon he slops out, presenting himself as though he's so committed that he'd fall on the sword for his ideals. The hardest thing for Rex to mutter is "That's on me." and the easiest "It wasn't me."

Suck on that for a bit.

I know.  He never takes the blame for anything.  He's always pointing the finger.  The guy is a really big piece of sh*t.  Like I said, I'm embarrassed I fell for his empty jargon.  I'm a dumbass but this is an all time low.  He's terrible.  This is a very shameful moment for me...but I feel like I'm finally taking some steps in the right direction to correct my stupid blind support for the moron.

**** Rex Ryan.  Cant wait for 2015.

I actually believe Rex is acting more like a HC then he ever has.  I think he's more demanding of his players.  He coddles them less publicly.  And I like the fact that he's hands on in the area of the team that he has a strong competency.

My issue is I just don't believe that Rex as a HC is good enough to get our franchise over the hump.  He's plenty good to get us here and deal with the growing pains associated with the building process.  He's an easy target which takes the pressure off the players to a certain degree (always good when the players aren't good enough).

However, as this core group of players matures (Geno, Pryor, Milliner, Q, Wilk, Sheldon, Davis, Amaro, Winters, Allen, Snacks) and as the established veterans hit their prime years (Decker, Kerley, Ivory, Giacomini) the real leadership needs to come from the players themselves and the coach takes on a different role.  

The coach becomes someone who drives performance, drives consistency, and instills a mature, championship mentality.

I just don't see Rex doing that.  I think Rex is the right guy as we ascend.  I just don't think he's capable of getting us over the hump.

I think a Harbaugh will wear out his welcome eventually but can get us over the top with our talent.  Same way Gruden did in Tampa.  Same way Coughlin did.  Same way Sean Peyton did.  Came into more established teams with established core talent groups and got them to the top.

Who can do that for us?  Not sure.  But I don't think Rex can.

Harbaugh since joining 49ers:  42-15.  Rex since joining Jets:  47-41.  Any reasonable person would make that trade head up immediately.  

The point I'm making is that I don't trust Rex to get the talent we have over the hump and to a championship.

I would prefer a coach that's less concerned with being liked and who can capitalize on the talent we have to get us a ring.

I don't care if they're a mercinary like Gruden or a hard nosed coach like Coughlin.

Archived