Penn State fans organizing a "Joe Out"

Blackout

With the bowl ban and NCAA scholarship sanctions for the Jerry Sandusky scandal now officially in the past for Penn State, some fans are organizing a tribute to former coach Joe Paterno during Saturday's game at UMass.

A small group wants to organize a "Joe-Out" before and during the game. What does that mean? Well, it means tributes to Paterno, whether it be dressing like him, bringing pictures or something else.

“He will forever stand as a great founder of our university, shoulder to shoulder with Atherton, Beaver, Pattee, Sparks and more. There will be other coaches, other presidents, other trustees and great men in Penn State’s future, but that does not mean we should forget this one man, who made Penn State great. My family and I eagerly await the future — but we will never forget to honor Joe,” Susan Beck Wilson said (Via CentreDaily.com.)

Paterno had an NCAA-record 409 wins as a head coach but as part of the sanctions against the university, 111 of them were taken away. Paterno was fired in November 2011 as allegations surrounding Sandusky's crimes became public. Three university officials are awaiting trial for their role in the cover up.

Sandusky is currently serving life in prison after being found guilty on 45 counts of sexual abuse. In 2001, Paterno was told of an incident involving Sandusky and a boy in the showers at Penn State's football facilities. He passed the report on to Penn State officials and has been criticized for failing to take the matter to police.

Shortly before the sanctions were announced against Penn State in 2012, the statue of Paterno was taken down.

The "Joe-Out" is far from a mass movement. According to PennLive.com, there were 339 attendees on Facebook as of Tuesday morning. It's doubtful there will be a stadium full of Paterno lookalikes on Saturday. However, those behind the event are wanting to be known. It's a take on the white-outs and blue-outs the school organizes for fans.

“We want to make an impact, as Joe would say,” Laurie Anne Stannell told Centre Daily.

The article states that a "small group" wants to organize an event, and you then decide that it is all of "Happy Valley".

Those wins belong to the players and should be restored. The NCAA stepped in where they had no business nor authority, and came to false conclusions. That they have backed off those sanctions in fear of the lawsuits speaks volumes to the ground they stand on.

339 fans still supporting Joe Paterno is too many.

It would have been nice to hear Paterno tell his story. It will still be enlightening to hear Curly, Spanier and Schultz tell their stories. The facts have yet to come out. 

Just the rush to judgment. 

Did you know that NCAA published new guidelines in terms of what coaches should do in circumstances that Paterno faced? Those new guidelines tell coaches to do exactly as Paterno did (move it up the corporate ladder) and not press matters in any further :

“Cooperate with but not manage, direct, control or interfere with college or university investigations into allegations of sexual violence ensuring that investigations involving student-athletes and athletics department staff are managed in the same manner as all other students and  staff on campus.”

Odd, but that is exactly what Paterno did. There are legal and judiciary reasons why you can't involve yourself in these manner.

No, it wouldn't have.  There's no "story" for him to tell because his crime was inaction.  Quit defending him, you're sounding more like one of the 339.

So, due process is just a "line" then? ok.

Paterno did what he legally should have and was obligated to. That is all. It is certainly unfortunate that he did not or maybe could not have done more. Why he didn't, that is why I would love to have been able to hear what he knew, and what he did with the information. Maybe it comes out in they trials.

There are certainly more moral obligations, but they do begin to cross legal obligations. That is why the NCAA enacted the new handbook, and it states that coaches should do exactly as Paterno did. That is a fact.

It would have been nice to hear Paterno tell his story. It will still be enlightening to hear Curly, Spanier and Schultz tell their stories. The facts have yet to come out. 

Just the rush to judgment. 

Did you know that NCAA published new guidelines in terms of what coaches should do in circumstances that Paterno faced? Those new guidelines tell coaches to do exactly as Paterno did (move it up the corporate ladder) and not press matters in any further :

“Cooperate with but not manage, direct, control or interfere with college or university investigations into allegations of sexual violence ensuring that investigations involving student-athletes and athletics department staff are managed in the same manner as all other students and  staff on campus.”

Odd, but that is exactly what Paterno did. There are legal and judiciary reasons why you can't involve yourself in these manner.

Joe " i wish i had done more" Paterno 

The man built the program and had all the power he needed to do far more.  Just stop.  The hero worship gets ridiculous.

No hero worship here. Every man has faults.

If the campus police do nothing, if the President of the University do nothing with information, what is a Head Coach supposed to do?

There are laws in place that restrict reporting beyond what your level is. If you go blathering that "so and so" did "this" and I have information pertaining to that, you set yourself up in a legal mess. You taint the process, and the ability for fair trials and due process. There is a legal process.

The State of PA and the Attorney Generals' Office said that there was no wrong doing on Paterno's part. 

Read the Freeh report. When you do so, you will begin to understand how loose the conclusions are based. It reads like fiction and drawn conclusions based on far reaching pieces of supposed  communication. Hardly any facts.

Why do you think the NCAA is so quick to dissolve its disciplines? Because their basis of finding (the Freeh Report) is unraveling as the law suits are being pressed. They have no basis.

It is a great tragedy what has happened, and nothing can reverse that. But the rush to judgement that the BOT allowed, to shine the light away from those truly responsible for doing something with this is atrocious.

The BOT took an opportunity to turn acidic acrimony to one source. It was a cowards move.

If you are going to comment on a subject, understand the facts and educate yourself. Don't just travel down the path that common thinking will have you believe.

So, due process is just a "line" then? ok.

Paterno did what he legally should have and was obligated to. That is all. It is certainly unfortunate that he did not or maybe could not have done more. Why he didn't, that is why I would love to have been able to hear what he knew, and what he did with the information. Maybe it comes out in they trials.

There are certainly more moral obligations, but they do begin to cross legal obligations. That is why the NCAA enacted the new handbook, and it states that coaches should do exactly as Paterno did. That is a fact.

Not as familiar with Penn. law. But in NY, as an educator, Paterno woudl have been a mandated reporter, requiring him in such circumstances to notfy local law enforcement. Problem remains, Paterno abruptly removed Sandusky right around the time this bubbled up. Sandusky had been his heir apparent, and yet never even interviewed for any other job.Paterno saw Sandusky at Happy Valley and at road games with children and did nothing. Paterno grew up son of a Brooklyn pharmacist around the time of World War II and claimed ridiculously he had never seen or heard of any pedophilia, and thoguht gay sex was limited to some Greek classics. His dad was treating GIs every day for every STD then known, and he claims to have no idea about such things? Not plausible.

Paterno's son is all over the media with some book of his whitewashing his dad. Grant you it's a sad end, but had Paterno exposed Sadusky and stopped him when he had a chance, his legacy would be not only intarnished but enhanced.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/joe-paterno-brooklyn-child-rape-scandal-hits-close-home-article-1.978813

Joe Paterno is from Brooklyn, where child-rape scandal hits close to home

For local legendary football coach Pudgy Walsh, horrible memories come flooding back

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Thursday, November 17, 2011, 7:00 AM

Pudgy Walsh, a legendary football coach in his own right with the Brooklyn Mariners, also works with Good Sheperd Church in Brooklyn where Joe Paterno attended. Walsh says he was sexually assaulted as a boy.

Joe Paterno grew up here.

Joe Paterno went to school and Mass here. Joe Paterno learned his core Christian values at Good Shepherd School and church on Brown St. here in Marine Park, a rugged, working-middle-class Brooklyn neighborhood that also produced baseball legend Joe Torre, with the local Little League named after him.

Joe Paterno played sports here, learning a fierce Brooklyn street code of right and wrong, and later was a running back at the Jesuit-strict Brooklyn Prep High, before graduating Brown and going to Penn State to win a record 409 football games and national glory.

Sports have always been a very big deal in Good Shepherd parish.

So, now, is pedophilia.

Last month the Rev. Msgr. Thomas Brady, 78, once chaplain of the FDNY and pastor emeritus of Good Shepherd, was arrested on charges of abusing two boys.

Then, hut-one, hut-two, right behind that sack came the Penn State child-rape scandals, with Joe Paterno accused of looking the other way.

After Good Shepherd’s 7 a.m. Mass yesterday, parishioner Joe Stemberger, a transit worker, said, “How could they abuse the disadvantaged kids who came to them for hope and then cover it up? The way the church covered up these priest scandals?”

There might be no better man to help answer that question than Pudgy Walsh, a legendary local football coach of the semi-pro Brooklyn Mariners with 588 wins over 55 seasons.

Pudgy also attended Brooklyn Prep.

“Like everyone from the neighborhood I greatly admired Paterno,” Pudgy says in a local diner. “And I know Msgr. Brady for 25 years and love the guy. I spent 31 years on FDNY, retired as a lieutenant. I worked with Brady when he was chaplain. He’s had three strokes. Sickly. I haven’t accepted it yet. If it was just one kid you might think they could be making it up. But two. . .?”

DANIEL HULSHIZER/APPudgy Walsh, a legendary football coach in his own right with the Brooklyn Mariners, also works with Good Sheperd Church in Brooklyn where Joe Paterno attended. Walsh says he was sexually assaulted as a boy.

He sighs deeply, for good reason.

“These scandals affect me personally,” he says. “Brings me back to June of 1943, I was 8, wearing shorts, walking with two pals, when a guy, maybe 19, 20, pulls upon a bicycle on Flatlands and E. 37 St. He takes one pal for a ride around the corner. Then takes my second pal. Fast. Then he took me. . . .”

The young man rode young Pudgy Walsh to a cluster of trees by Utica Ave. and Glenwood Road. “I will never forget the savage look in his eyes when he said, ‘Take off your pants or I will kill you,’” Pudgy says, eyes glittering some seven decades later like a boy’s. “Crying my eyes out, I took off my pants. The next hour is a blackout. Then he rode me on his bike to Coleman St. and Flatlands and said, ‘I’m going in the Marines tomorrow. Pray for me.’ I hope somewhere a Japanese soldier had a good eye.”

Pudgy didn’t tell his mother or retired-cop father. Shame made him bottle it. “I couldn’t even confess it to a priest,” Pudgy says. “I thought I’d committed an unforgivable sin.”

He carried that shame into manhood before he told his siblings.

When the Msgr. Brady and Paterno scandals broke back-to-back, Pudgy Walsh was stunned. “If Paterno knew and did nothing it means he traded shame for fame,” Pudgy says.

“That kid with his hands against the shower wall? I know what that feels like. It’s abject fear for your life as a giant takes advantage of you. It’s shame. It’s horror. No guy I’ve ever met from Brooklyn, except the one who abused me, could ever stand by and do nothing. No player I ever coached, no fireman I ever worked with, no guy from Joe Paterno’s neighborhood could turn the other way as kids were abused.”

Why does he think Paterno did so little to stop it?

“Paterno was set up there, so high up in the steam, that everyone had to look up to see him,” Pudgy says. “He stopped looking down; he forgot where he came from. If he remembered he was from here, from Marine Park, Brooklyn, he might have done more. It brought back horrible memories for me. But I’ll never forget I’m from Brooklyn even though I have more wins than Joe Paterno.”

USC got what five six years probation because their former running back bought a car with agent money. 

Penn State got two years for having a footbal coach who sodomized little boys.  The NCAA is a f__cking joke.

exactly.  and now penn state fans have the nerve to cry and ask for more back.  smh.

USC got what five six years probation because their former running back bought a car with agent money. 

Penn State got two years for having a footbal coach who sodomized little boys.  The NCAA is a f__cking joke.

One instance had to do with a a football team gaining a competitive edge.

The other was a criminal case, that had nothing to do with the football team. The courts are there to take care of criminal matters, not the NCAA which stuck its nose where it didn't belong. Which is exactly why they are backing off, because the lawsuits will expose they had no business.

Archived