Vikings deactivate AP indefinitely

A Jet from Oz

The league and union just collectively bargained a new drug policy. 

They can't collectively bargain this? 

These are not stupid people. If I can think of this, someone else can. In fact, I am stunned no one else has brought this up. 

TMZ and Gawker aren't going away and that is a good thing. It's good to have media sources that are independent and not beholden to the people they are covering. 

yeah i agree. shouldn't be hard to come up with something. for example, no punishment by league until legal process plays out except in certain exceptions: player admits it, videographic evidence, a credible eye witness, or if the player is imprisoned or out on bail. it would also create a nice shield for the nfl. "we can't ban the player because the CBA won't allow it" and put to rest all of the "hope goodell is in a good mood" brand of justice.

I don't think anything flipped. It's perfectly consistent to say that a four game suspension for smoking a joint the first time is too harsh, and that half of that for knocking your girlfriend out cold with your fist is too lenient.

Probably why the penalties for drug infractions have now been significantly drawn back (no suspensions until the fourth offense), and domestic violence puts you on the commissioner's exempt list until you're convicted, then you face a six suspension from there (for a first offense). Violent crimes, particularly against women and children, should draw much harsher sentences than the victimless crime of recreational drug use.

well putting aside that recreational illegal drug use isn't victimless--see mexico and columbia--i agree with this point. course easy fix to the unintended victims part is just to legalize and tax the hell out of it but that's a different topic.

Archived