Chris Johnson: After 'step backwards' vs. Packers, Jets RBs know 'we can't have a game like we had'

Apache 51

So which would be accurate in a case like the one I mentioned?  If a guy breaks one big run for 90, then goes 19 more carries for 20 yards, the stat line looks like he had a productive day, but reality is that the offense, minus a single play, was completely unable to move the ball.  Is that a good day for your offense, or a bad day?  Serious question.

not the point i was making. the point i was making is the proper way to answer the question is not to remove data points to manipulate the average but rather to take the median of the result of his rushing attempts. the median would answer the question you are asking. but the average is the average. you can't remove data and then call what's left the average.

not the point i was making. the point i was making is the proper way to answer the question is not to remove data points to manipulate the average but rather to take the median of the result of his rushing attempts. the median would answer the question you are asking. but the average is the average. you can't remove data and then call what's left the average.

Got it...I was just curious as to how you'd classify that type of performance.  Either way, here's to hoping Jets RB's average over 5.0 per carry this Monday...if so, I'm confident they'll win : O )

Got it...I was just curious as to how you'd classify that type of performance.  Either way, here's to hoping Jets RB's average over 5.0 per carry this Monday...if so, I'm confident they'll win : O )

i prefer the median to be over 5.0 ;):cheers:

Our team still can't figure it out what it wants to be. Sometimes I think we're modeling the Seahawks, but yet were splitting carries between our beast mode light back and our washed up back. Give Ivory 20+ carries as long as were not playing from behind and be done with it. The guy is a game changer when he's getting the ball.

Our team still can't figure it out what it wants to be. Sometimes I think we're modeling the Seahawks, but yet were splitting carries between our beast mode light back and our washed up back. Give Ivory 20+ carries as long as were not playing from behind and be done with it. The guy is a game changer when he's getting the ball.

Well as slats would be quick to point out, Lynch catches passes in Seattle.  I love Ivory but in Morhinweg's system you absolutely need to have a back or 2 in the committee capable of catching passes.

Well as slats would be quick to point out, Lynch catches passes in Seattle.  I love Ivory but in Morhinweg's system you absolutely need to have a back or 2 in the committee capable of catching passes.

We've never really given him that opportunity. He caught one week 1 and looked ok to me. Johnson's not a great pass catcher anways...he got benched last year in Tennessee on 3rd downs. Either way, I'm not a fan of Johnson...our run blocking isnt good enough to be getting him the ball. Cumberland is a terrible blocker and in order to get CJ to the outside he needs to do his job as a blocker, which he seems incapable of.

We've never really given him that opportunity. He caught one week 1 and looked ok to me. Johnson's not a great pass catcher anways...he got benched last year in Tennessee on 3rd downs. Either way, I'm not a fan of Johnson...our run blocking isnt good enough to be getting him the ball. Cumberland is a terrible blocker and in order to get CJ to the outside he needs to do his job as a blocker, which he seems incapable of.

Ivory only caught like 5 passes in his time in New Orleans, a pass-catching RB's dream spot.

Cj has averaged like 40 catches a year and i believe had a higher ypc than mccoy over that time period. The key with cj is to get him the ball in space; not hand him the ball and ask him to create space.

Cj has averaged like 40 catches a year and i believe had a higher ypc than mccoy over that time period. The key with cj is to get him the ball in space; not hand him the ball and ask him to create space.

Space which can only be found with some downfield weaponry to stretch the field.  I blame Stephen Hill.

Space which can only be found with some downfield weaponry to stretch the field. I blame Stephen Hill.

Would love to see nyj take a wr in first round next year but we all know without a doubt it will be, and probably should be, a cb

CJ really should be almost exclusively used in the passing game.  Kind of like the Eagles use Sproles.  Truth is, both Powell and Ivory are better at purely carrying the ball than CJ.  Dude just looks slow when they hand it to him but he still has value in the screen game or some routes that get him 1 on 1.

I'd honestly start giving Powell more carries than CJ.  At least he can create something out of nothing...that guy never losses a yard.  CJ does all the time.

All that said, I agree with Matt.  Ivory needs 15-20 carries a game.  He's bruising game breaker.  Let him get it going and stop getting cute with it.

Archived