Bruce Harper & Wesley Walker

Maxman

Courtney Aurillo will be interviewing Bruce Harper and Wesley Walker on Thursday night at a Jets themed event.  Anyone have suggestions on questions they would like her to ask?

EDIT:  Thank you everyone for the questions. Several of them were used.  Here is the link to the interview, Bruce Harper and Wesley Walker were amazing. We were told that we had a few minutes, but both players actually stayed longer because they were having a good time talking to Courtney.

http://www.jetnation.com/podcasts/2014/Wesley_Walker_Bruce_Harper.mp3

"Hi Wes. Is it frustrating to always be confused for Wesley Welker? Truthfully, I thought thats who I was interviewing today too."

Ironically if Welker gets another concussion, he might start to think he is Wesley Walker.

For Bruce Harper:  You were one of the very first "impact backs" as they called it at the time-backs who were just as dangerous for receiving as they were for running the ball.  Do you think you've gotten your deserved due for pioneering a style used by Marshall Faulk, Reggie Bush and many others?

For Bruce Harper:  You were one of the very first "impact backs" as they called it at the time-backs who were just as dangerous for receiving as they were for running the ball.  Do you think you've gotten your deserved due for pioneering a style used by Marshall Faulk, Reggie Bush and many others?

Chuck Foreman was the pre-eminent 

He pre-dated Bruce by a few years.  But Chuck usually ran for a lot more yards than he received.  Bruce actually received a lot more than he ran.  You might give Foreman more credit for starting that style of back, but Bruce was instrumental in establishing it further.

He pre-dated Bruce by a few years.  But Chuck usually ran for a lot more yards than he received.  Bruce actually received a lot more than he ran.  You might give Foreman more credit for starting that style of back, but Bruce was instrumental in establishing it further.

I was thinking Terry Metcalf. 

Metcalf was another one who pioneered the style, absolutely.  And he also came into the league a couple of years before Harper.  I'm not saying that Harper single-handedly changed the way RBs are used, I'm just saying he was a notable part of the evolution of the way offenses run.  And Metcalf also ran more than he received-Harper was the first really prominent back that I remember who received more than he ran.

Harper also differed from the others in an important way.  The other guys were quick backs who could cut on a dime.  Harper was fast and could be shifty, but for a small, fast guy he really could run over people.    Harper was quick, but he also would power through for a few yards when finally tackled.

Metcalf was another one who pioneered the style, absolutely.  And he also came into the league a couple of years before Harper.  I'm not saying that Harper single-handedly changed the way RBs are used, I'm just saying he was a notable part of the evolution of the way offenses run.  And Metcalf also ran more than he received-Harper was the first really prominent back that I remember who received more than he ran.

Harper also differed from the others in an important way.  The other guys were quick backs who could cut on a dime.  Harper was fast and could be shifty, but for a small, fast guy he really could run over people.    Harper was quick, but he also would power through for a few yards when finally tackled.

I like Bruce as much as anyone but outside of few older Jet fans - no one knows him from Jack....

Lots of backs were used as receivers 60's 70's 80's

Way back you had Gifford and Floyd Little later Roger Craig, Larry Centers, Greg Pruitt..........many more.

Maynard came into the league at RB.  Kyle Rote switched after he blew up his knee.  Gifford had to change after Bednarik ended him on a reception out of the backfield.

1960-Bednarik-3-320.jpg

My point exactly-Craig came after Bruce Harper.  In fact, in 1980 Harper was the team's leading pass receiver.  I think Foremen and Metcalf brought the RB as pass receiver to the fore, but no RB had the pass as the major thing he does until Bruce.  The others came after.

My point exactly-Craig came after Bruce Harper.  In fact, in 1980 Harper was the team's leading pass receiver.  I think Foremen and Metcalf brought the RB as pass receiver to the fore, but no RB had the pass as the major thing he does until Bruce.  The others came after.

And RB Clark Gaines was 2nd with 36 catches but he got 17 of those in 1 game a Jet record that still stands..

LOL, thanks for reminding me.  Now that I think about it, I was at that game.  Todd was his usual terrible self.  Just about every pass was Gaines circling around , four yards deep, and immediately smashed in the back as soon as he caught the ball.  Late in the game Gaines was carried off the field on a stretcher.

Wesley Walker was virtually unstoppable, because he had world class track speed, and ran perfect routes. His defender had to play 10 yards off of him to have a chance, so he was always open for quick short passes. His only fault (not his fault) was that he was slight of build for an NFL player, and I used to cringe when he got hit hard in the open field. It was like seeing a graceful gazelle getting shot or eaten by a lion. If he was playing with anybody other than Richard 'Todd, he would have been even greater... when he was paired with Toon, he was a little passed his prime, but still great. Unfortunately, before Toon, Jets tried to get another wide receiver to be paired with him, named Lam Jones, and we all know how that worked out. No, I don't  know what you should ask him in the interview, just tell him we love him.

Courtney is posting a write up on this but here is the link to the interview. Bruce Harper and Wesley Walker were a lot of fun, interacting with everyone that was at this event. The interview that Courtney did with them was really funny, before she could even ask them a question Bruce and Wesley were joking around, just really having a good time. I didn't realize that they are still such good friends. You could see how much respect Wesley and Bruce have for each other.

http://www.jetnation.com/podcasts/2014/Wesley_Walker_Bruce_Harper.mp3

Courtney_Aurillo_Wesley_Walker_Bruce_Harper

Click here to listen to the interview.

Last week I attended the New York Jets cooking school event presented by the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE) and Chase. ICE lets either current or former NY Jets players cook and interact with the public with the assistance of culinary professionals.

I had the  honor to not only interview, but spend some quality time with former Jets running back Bruce Harper and wide receiver Wesley Walker.  They discussed what it was like playing together, Walt Michaels, Al Toon and what they are up to these days.  The chemistry between the two remains the same, if not stronger, and you can tell they both still bleed green.

Click play to listen to the interview or you can check it out on our NY Jets iTunes feed.

Courtney_Aurillo_Wesley_Walker_Bruce_Harper

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
EZ1GPj7-GOM

View the full article

Archived