Here we go: plaintiff's lawyers on the domestic abuse money wagon now

jgb

Gloria Allred Sacks the NFL, Suing Another Player for Domestic Abuse
America’s leading feminist attorney doesn’t just want Brandon Marshall punished for allegedly attacking his girlfriend, she wants to reform the league with Title IX-style trials.

Late Wednesday morning, attorney and feminist Gloria Allred announced  her plans to reveal “two individuals” who would speak about acts of violence allegedly committed by an National Football League player. A few hours later, she appeared at a press conference in Atlanta with Kristeena Spivey and Clarence Watley to announce that Chicago Bear Brandon Marshall was the NFL player in question.

Spivey alleged that Marshall had a long history of abusing her friend and former roommate Rasheedah Watley when she was his girlfriend.

On June 8, 2007, Spivey said she became a “direct victim” of Marshall. According to Spivey, she and Watley were driving a car when Marshall rammed them off the road and threw a cement block at their window. Marshall has previously denied ever harming Rasheedah Watley but, as the Chicago Tribune notes, he has a “pile-up of domestic incidents that almost derailed his career.”

Allred claims that Spivey notified NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell of Marshall’s abuse but that Goodell did not follow through with an investigation. Noting that Goodell previously suspended Michael Vick for dogfighting, Spivey asked: “Does that mean that women’s lives, safety, and worth are less than those of dogs?” Allred concurred, noting that Goodell’s alleged lack of response to the incidents reveals “men are considered to be of more value to the NFL than women and children.”

These new allegations against Brandon Marshall come hot on the heels of Ray Rice’s termination from the Baltimore Ravens and subsequent suspension from the NFL after new security footage revealed that he had punched his then-fiancée Janay Palmer in an elevator. Goodell had initially suspended Rice for just two games when he was spotted dragging an unconscious Palmer out of the elevator—a decision that sparked a public outcry from fans, feminists, sports commentators, and the public—but he opted for an indefinite suspension once this new footage came to light. Even still, the NFL Players Association is appealing Ray Rice’s suspension from the league, asking for a “fair and impartial process” and accusing Goodell of being unable to serve as an “impartial arbitrator.”

“Rice’s suspension marks the latest in a long string of violent incidents involving NFL players. As
Newsday
reports, 10 NFL players have been arrested on domestic violence charges in the past two years alone. In response to these incidents, Commissioner Goodell has already instituted
a new system of punishments for domestic violence
for the NFL as part of the Personal Conduct Policy. Under this new system, players who commit “assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault” will be suspended without pay for six games after their first offense and banished from the NFL after a second offense. More severe penalties will be doled out for incidents “involving a weapon, choking, repeated striking, or when the act is committed against a pregnant woman or in the presence of a child.”

Allred said she believes this policy is still an insufficient response to acts of domestic violence allegedly committed by NFL players. In her press conference, Allred proposed that the NFL adopt a new process modeled after Title IX hearings that colleges and universities use to investigate sexual assault on campus. Allred’s proposed hearings would take place even if there were no criminal charge made—or even if there was and the NFL player were acquitted. Allred sent a letter to Goodell asking that the NFL institute this new process. “Unless they do,” she says, “victims of violence by NFL players will continue to be treated as second-class citizens.”

“We look forward to the NFL’s response,” Allred concluded, surely ready not to hold her breath waiting.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/17/gloria-allred-sacks-the-nfl-suing-another-player-for-domestic-abuse.html#

$10 if the bears were playing the pats this weekend marshall would be deactivated

Goodell opening up the doors for this was a mistake. Those ladies he just hired was such a dumb reactionary move. All politically connected- with the whole Redskins stuff...the NFL opening up their doors to politicians right now is a horrifically bad move. Apologizing doesn't work when you're apologizing to people that have no intention of forgiving.

Goodell opening up the doors for this was a mistake. Those ladies he just hired was such a dumb reactionary move. All politically connected- with the whole Redskins stuff...the NFL opening up their doors to politicians right now is a horrifically bad move. Apologizing doesn't work when you're apologizing to people that have no intention of forgiving.

great post

You know whats gonna happen? The NFL is gonna throw a big big boat load of money towards domestic violence education/prevention and it will slowly...very slowly...go away.

I figure by 2018 we'll be back to normal again...whatever normal is.

Maybe they should consult Irish-Roman Catholic families and learn emulate the power of "things we never talk about."

You know whats gonna happen? The NFL is gonna throw a big big boat load of money towards domestic violence education/prevention and it will slowly...very slowly...go away.

Maybe they should consult Irish-Roman Catholic families and learn emulate the power of "things we never talk about."

With social media and the blogosphere...this sh*t just doesn't go away. It's misconstrue then attack, attack, attack. Goodell is such a boob.

it'll be this way until it's the next thing. my money is the next scandal will be outting players who don't put the toilet seat back down after going or who get food particles on the mirror when flossing

it'll be this way until it's the next thing. my money is the next scandal will be outting players who don't put the toilet seat back down after going or who get food particles on the mirror when flossing

Saw an article posted on Facebook earlier today that cited Ray Rice bringing a BB gun to school back in 7th grade. This is the depth ppl go to now to ruin someones life. It's bizarre.

Saw an article posted on Facebook earlier today that cited Ray Rice bringing a BB gun to school back in 7th grade. This is the depth ppl go to now to ruin someones life. It's bizarre.

i think the genesis of all of this is the obsession with fame. starting with reality television and perpetuated by social media, now "fame" is an ideal in and of itself. used to be kids wanted to be famous for doing something: famous astronaut, rock star, whatever. now people just want to be "famous," and if getting your 15 minutes talking about how ray rice waved a bb gun at you on the playground 20 years ago is all you got, idiots today gonna take it.

a very famous person grew up on my street as a kid. after he became famous, reporters swarmed my parents' neighborhood desperately looking for dirt and embarassing stuff. every neighbor slammed the door on those leeches' faces. that's the way it used to be. now everyone is looking for their 10 seconds on TMZ. sad really.

Grumpy-old-man.jpg

i think the genesis of all of this is the obsession with fame. starting with reality television and perpetuated by social media, now "fame" is an ideal in and of itself. used to be kids wanted to be famous for doing something: famous astronaut, rock star, whatever. now people just want to be "famous," and if getting your 15 minutes talking about how ray rice waved a bb gun at you on the playground 20 years ago is all you got, idiots today gonna take it.

a very famous person grew up on my street as a kid. after he became famous, reporters swarmed my parents' neighborhood desperately looking for dirt and embarassing stuff. every neighbor slammed the door on those leeches' faces. that's the way it used to be. now everyone is looking for their 10 seconds on TMZ. sad really.

Grumpy-old-man.jpg

lol, you're right.

This was actually posted today:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/18/peyton-manning-1996-tennessee-lawsuit-trainer-bare-butt-mooning/

We're going to start retroactively coming at athletes now? Does Peyton have to issue an apology? Didn't Brandon Marshall have to hold a press conference today over something that went down over 5 years ago? People suck. 2015 should be the year of not apologizing. There's no point to it anymore.

lol, you're right.

This was actually posted today:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/18/peyton-manning-1996-tennessee-lawsuit-trainer-bare-butt-mooning/

We're going to start retroactively coming at athletes now? Does Peyton have to issue an apology? Didn't Brandon Marshall have to hold a press conference today over something that went down over 5 years ago? People suck. 2015 should be the year of not apologizing. There's no point to it anymore.

one can only hope the backlash against this crap is coming... the selfies, the tweets, the facebook likes, all of it is an exercise in narcassism. i was talking to one of my coworkers who tweets constantly. asked him why. he said it helps him keep in touch with people. so i asked him what kind of stuff do you talk to your friends with on twitter? he said "well i don't read what other people write, i just post." and that sums it up. everyone can feel like they are the star when in reality it's all just a mirror to admire yourself in, and all your followers/friends/whatever you call them are doing the same thing you are.

All these people go to the Kardashian School of Fame w/o Talent.

As an Irish-American Roman Catholic, I ask you, what's the first rule of IARC Club?

No excuses for it. But people do change and improve themselves. Not sure why folks arent given that opportunity anymore....the mob is real.

right but the last 2 weeks I saw NFL do "a football life" on jerry rice and mean joe greene.  now they want to do brandon marshall.

puke

I think it kinda points to one of the problems, as a football culture, football nation, we want every salacious detail examined over and over with music and fancy camera work, and the day a rumor comes out, we want the punishment to come out 30 minutes later.  it's an insane news cycle

the NFL is more TMZ than football now

right but the last 2 weeks I saw NFL do "a football life" on jerry rice and mean joe greene.  now they want to do brandon marshall.

puke

I think it kinda points to one of the problems, as a football culture, football nation, we want every salacious detail examined over and over with music and fancy camera work, and the day a rumor comes out, we want the punishment to come out 30 minutes later.  it's an insane news cycle

the NFL is more TMZ than football now

I'd say the vast majority of pro athletes have skeletons. sh*t, I'm surprised someone has latched on to Jordan's tirade years ago about Kwame Brown.

It is funny to me that in a society that gets coarser by the day where it is considered cool to be an a$$hole basically and boast about how you got wasted the night before on your facebook page that those same people get so morally outraged by how athletes conduct themselves. A young millionaire athlete doing the same sh*t a paris hilton does, while she is glorified and he is villified.

Archived