New NFL Domestic Violence Initiatives

slats

The media takes advantage of things like this to fill time, who gives a sh*t? If you don't think cases like this directly correlate to sh*t like Steubenville you are out of your ******* mind. Trivializing it as nothing more than a media spectacle or witch-hunt is complete nonsense. This is an actual problem with some real advocates and real victims, and the only way that things get fixed regarding major issues like this is in the midst of some sort of crisis. Kudos to those groups for recognizing the opportunity to finally draw some attention to the matter. So Disney makes a few bucks off of coverage, right or wrong that is literally no different than any other policy shift, and it's pretty much how change works.

I think Steubenville happens because there are sh*tty kids with sh*tty parents who live in sh*tty towns where athletes and celebrities are glorified and given special license by the boys-will-be-boys set. I haven't checked today, but has ESPN/Disney done any glorifying of athletes and/or celebrities recently while trivializing and/or ignoring their transgressions? I agree that it is an actual problem that isn't sufficiently addressed--I believe that if you're found guilty of beating a woman or a child, you should lose a finger. I think that would be an apt deterrent. My issue is with the coverage and sensationalization of this particular episode. There are real advocates and real victims of these crimes who deserve a voice--let me know when those people get equal time on SportsCenter. 

this is why we have the legal system. Fans shouldnt be asked to judge off the field behavior and take a stand on something that's supposed to be fun. People have too much of their own sh*t to worry about to be dragged into this stuff. I dont abuse my gf, I wouldnt abuse my kids. The people I hang with don't either. It's unfortunate there are some athletes who do bad stuff...but it's not for me to decide who gets to play and who doesnt. I just want to watch the games without having to worry about where I stand on a certain player getting in trouble.

People latch onto this type of sh*t as a means to avoid dealing with their own problems. They get to co-opt a tragedy, obsessively watch the active principals wade through it, then claim some emotional victory as a social avenger when it's all over. 

well, they could get a rise out of me. but there are a lot of fans out there who defend these guys. I think there are a lot of angry losers out who think hitting a woman is ok.

I'm sure there are a lot of angry losers out there who think hitting a woman is ok. These are psychopaths. Making fun of Roger Goodell isn't going to fix them.

I think Steubenville happens because there are sh*tty kids with sh*tty parents who live in sh*tty towns where athletes and celebrities are glorified and given special license by the boys-will-be-boys set. I haven't checked today, but has ESPN/Disney done any glorifying of athletes and/or celebrities recently while trivializing and/or ignoring their transgressions? I agree that it is an actual problem that isn't sufficiently addressed--I believe that if you're found guilty of beating a woman or a child, you should lose a finger. I think that would be an apt deterrent. My issue is with the coverage and sensationalization of this particular episode. There are real advocates and real victims of these crimes who deserve a voice--let me know when those people get equal time on SportsCenter. 

Again, this is how policy changes work. A spotlight on domestic violence is a good thing. The fact that your biggest problem is that Herman Edwards is on TV talking about it is twisted as all hell. Who gives a ****?

I'm sure there are a lot of angry losers out there who think hitting a woman is ok. These are psychopaths. Making fun of Roger Goodell isn't going to fix them.

Popular backlash against Roger Goodell just netted two advocacy groups some much needed funding for women who get to bear the brunt of those angry losers. Try harder.

Again, this is how policy changes work. A spotlight on domestic violence is a good thing. The fact that your biggest problem is that Herman Edwards is on TV talking about it is twisted as all hell. Who gives a ****?

I understand that the theater of shaming Goodell further stigmatizes domestic violence and that's all fine and well--the ends justifying the means and whatnot. My biggest problem is that it requires a bunch of sh*tbirds looking solemn in between "You Got Jackded!" segments on ESPN to move the needle-albeit temporarily--toward anything that you want to consider "change." It highlights how silly and vacuous society-in-general really is. If you want real change, take the finger. 

Popular backlash against Roger Goodell just netted two advocacy groups some much needed funding for women who get to bear the brunt of those angry losers. Try harder.

Again, all this theater to get the NFL to reach between its couch cushions. That's not change. That's a telethon. 

Here's my issue with this--who is glorifying Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson? Is that what we believe Goodell is doing here?

As far as you getting attacked by an NFL player (God forbid, of course), I'd venture to guess the chances of that happening are significantly less than you getting attacked (God forbid) by someone who works at WalMart, or the post office, or Dunkin Donuts, etc. The difference there is that ESPN can't get a rise out of you by uncovering how many people in those walks of life get arrested. It's profiteering, plain and simple, and it's got less than zero to do with helping victims of DV now or in the future.

I myself have done things in a Dunkin Donuts I am not proud of.  

What theater? A telethon? What the hell are even you talking about anymore dude.

I don't want this to turn into a hostile situation where it looks like I'm pro-domestic violence. I don't believe this story is being handled responsibly or productively, and that it's taken the discourse so far away from looking for solutions to DV that it's upsetting. The sports media collective, particularly ESPN, isn't qualified and isn't interested in dealing with issues of this importance in any constructive manner. That said, I'd like to move on here.

I don't want this to turn into a hostile situation where it looks like I'm pro-domestic violence. I don't believe this story is being handled responsibly or productively, and that it's taken the discourse so far away from looking for solutions to DV that it's upsetting. The sports media collective, particularly ESPN, isn't qualified and isn't interested in dealing with issues of this importance in any constructive manner. That said, I'd like to move on here.

I don't think you're pro domestic violence at all. Nothing you've written would lead me to believe that. Plus I know you. This is all just bad writing. Being a cynic doesn't mean what you are offering is a good critique.

It's bizarre. The comments I've seen all over about this, it's just bizarre. Some dudes (and it's always a dude) talk about child or spousal abuse as if its equivalent to getting caught cheating on a history exam or something.

Getting paid millions of dollars to play a game is not a right or entitlement. And neither offense is worthy of a firing squad or anything, but any dude who beats his wife or whips his kid's beanbag with a tree branch can go rot doing something else.  You don't get to pull that sh*t and think everyone is just going to be cool with you getting paid a fortune to run with a ball.

this is what I'm failing to articulate. thanks.

Archived