Chris Johnson's New Running Style

kelticwizard

Run perhaps a yard past the line of scrimmage-or less-then turn your back to the defense and wait to hit the ground.

Cj not a runner anymore, he is an out of the backfield pass catcher. One day genius boy rex or marty will realize this

Cj not a runner anymore, he is an out of the backfield pass catcher. One day genius boy rex or marty will realize this

You're probably right.  Presumably they worked him out before signing him,  he must have some speed somewhere.  If they use him strictly as a pass receiver, maybe we get something salvageable out of this deal.

You're probably right.  Presumably they worked him out before signing him,  he must have some speed somewhere.  If they use him strictly as a pass receiver, maybe we get something salvageable out of this deal.

Nah, too obvious. Marty has caught schitty disease--more important to do the unexpected and "clever" than what is proven to work. I guess they didnt use enough bleach during the deep cleaning of the OC office at jets HQ.

CJ looks slower than Ivory. Yet we continue to give him the exact same carries as Ivory. I cant explain that. Does not make any logical sense.

Only thing i can think of is to preserve ivory due to injury history. But do that by having him stay back in pass protection sometimes. Defenses breathe huge sigh of relief when he comes off field.

Give Powell more carries. Frankly between Ivory/Powell and CJ its not even close.

Idzik seems to have a problem admitting a mistake. Although for the record i think cj would be a huge asset with vick behind center, given what he accomplished with mccoy.

Idzik seems to have a problem admitting a mistake. Although for the record i think cj would be a huge asset with vick behind center, given what he accomplished with mccoy.

Where are they going to get the speed from ? Both Vick and CJ look slow. I hope someone who was watching at the stadium can confirm if CJ really looks that slow on the field in person.

And Vick what has he done to deserve to be on the field. He got jersey tackled today.

So whether we like it or not our best option for this season is Geno. I think the JETS will give him the 16 game continuous run of play and evaluate at the end of the season on how well he played. If he is not upto the mark i feel they draft another QB under their competition mantra. And the Geno era ends.

To be fair to Geno he doesn't exactly have any upgrade weapons on the field once Decker is out. Amaro looks like a project at this point of time and our WR corps is same as last season infact minus Holmes and Stephen Hill. The JETS tried to upgrade weapons for Geno and all they had to show for it was Decker. And nothing else.

We need to get Saunders on PS. He is waste of roster spot. The quicker the JETS do that the better.

Where are they going to get the speed from ? Both Vick and CJ look slow. I hope someone who was watching at the stadium can confirm if CJ really looks that slow on the field in person.

And Vick what has he done to deserve to be on the field. He got jersey tackled today.

So whether we like it or not our best option for this season is Geno. I think the JETS will give him the 16 game continuous run of play and evaluate at the end of the season on how well he played. If he is not upto the mark i feel they draft another QB under their competition mantra. And the Geno era ends.

To be fair to Geno he doesn't exactly have any upgrade weapons on the field once Decker is out. Amaro looks like a project at this point of time and our WR corps is same as last season infact minus Holmes and Stephen Hill. The JETS tried to upgrade weapons for Geno and all they had to show for it was Decker. And nothing else.

We need to get Saunders on PS. He is waste of roster spot. The quicker the JETS do that the better.

We kept hearing "patience, idzik wants to learn what he has in geno." Fair or not geno will be judged, and his future decided, based on what he does with these weapons, this year. I would like us to start vick for two reasons: determine whether it really is the weapons and i think it would be good for geno to get benched. My prediction is vick replaces geno and performs competently and then everyone realizes geno stinks. Have a sinking suspicion vick starts at qb for jets next year, hopefully with a high draft pick qb waiting in the wings. Longshot i know but im burned out on geno. Give me one week to have some blind hope things could be different.

We kept hearing "patience, idzik wants to learn what he has in geno." Fair or not geno will be judged, and his future decided, based on what he does with these weapons, this year. I would like us to start vick for two reasons: determine whether it really is the weapons and i think it would be good for geno to get benched. My prediction is vick replaces geno and performs competently and then everyone realizes geno stinks. Have a sinking suspicion vick starts at qb for jets next year, hopefully with a high draft pick qb waiting in the wings. Longshot i know but im burned out on geno. Give me one week to have some blind hope things could be different.

Doesn't make sense from a long term standpoint. You just cannot make  a QB change to see if the weapons are really the issue. That can be judged by separation and ability to hold onto the effing ball. For better or worse JETS are going with Geno all of this season and is the only thing that makes sense from a long term organizational standpoint.

At this point Vick is not long term solution for any team in the NFL.

Doesn't make sense from a long term standpoint. You just cannot make a QB change to see if the weapons are really the issue. That can be judged by separation and ability to hold onto the effing ball. For better or worse JETS are going with Geno all of this season and is the only thing that makes sense from a long term organizational standpoint.

At this point Vick is not long term solution for any team in the NFL.

Respect your opinion but i dont think geno is a long term solution for any team in the nfl either. I know we wont agree, but knowing i believe that, maybe you can understand why i have a different view on starting vick. It is telling that every team in the nfl... Including the jets... Passed on the highest rated qb in the draft in a qb hungry league

For a team so short of WR help - you'd think they could find a way to get him open over the middle or in the flat.

I think there's a chance he could still be dangerous in space.

Was typing this in the game thread last night and before I could post they did just that and Geno schwansed the throw.

For a team so short of WR help - you'd think they could find a way to get him open over the middle or in the flat.

I think there's a chance he could still be dangerous in space.

Was typing this in the game thread last night and before I could post they did just that and Geno schwansed the throw.

Have you guys watched the games?  Johnson has spit up at least two super easy catches.  He is plenty fast enough.  He ran that guy down on the pick 6 very easily and then waited until they were in the end zone to touch him.  That doesn't mean he is still a quality back, but he can run.  Sometimes it takes these guys time to know what they can and can't do. Sometimes they don't find out what they can do. I don't expect him to be any great runner, but he was running hard yesterday and getting wiped out. They seem to be using him the way Sparano used McKnight.  Fast guy up the middle and hope something happens. 

Have you guys watched the games? Johnson has spit up at least two super easy catches. He is plenty fast enough. He ran that guy down on the pick 6 very easily and then waited until they were in the end zone to touch him. That doesn't mean he is still a quality back, but he can run. Sometimes it takes these guys time to know what they can and can't do. Sometimes they don't find out what they can do. I don't expect him to be any great runner, but he was running hard yesterday and getting wiped out. They seem to be using him the way Sparano used McKnight. Fast guy up the middle and hope something happens.

Zomg have you watched the games? Buuuuurrrrrnnnn. That dig really makes your point stronger and totally encourages people to want to discuss this point with you.

You two just asked a guy with two of the most blatant drops I have ever seen from RB to WR. Zomg, what a concept to wonder if you were watching.

For a guy who claims to understand math and statistics, you do need to learn about sample size and how that affects the confidence interval. By your logic after what we all witnessed last night geno should never take another snap in the nfl. But he will because 2 plays or even a whole game doesnt dictate a players future. Unless you are already sour on him like you are to cj then you cling to two plays to fart over everyone who have a differing viewpoint in a stunning display of intellectual dishonesty.

I think they finally did last night Johnny, he was benched the whole 4th quarter I think. Bilal Powell is the better running back at this time. Chris Johnson has turned into a guy whom is going to get you 3 yards every time-no more and no less. He. Is. Done. Bilal Powell is just coming into his prime and we best utilize it while we can

I think they finally did last night Johnny, he was benched the whole 4th quarter I think. Bilal Powell is the better running back at this time. Chris Johnson has turned into a guy whom is going to get you 3 yards every time-no more and no less. He. Is. Done. Bilal Powell is just coming into his prime and we best utilize it while we can

We will never know what these weapons can do with geno behind center. As long as he is back there not sure it matters much

Ive been saying Johnson is washed up since they even began talking about him becoming a Jet.

Powell is much better.

Also, David Nelson is a fumble bum. Salas should be playing more and..................wait for it...........

Its time for Vick to play. Geno Smith is Mark Sanchez all over again.

For a guy who claims to understand math and statistics, you do need to learn about sample size and how that affects the confidence interval. By your logic after what we all witnessed last night geno should never take another snap in the nfl. But he will because 2 plays or even a whole game doesnt dictate a players future. Unless you are already sour on him like you are to cj then you cling to two plays to fart over everyone who have a differing viewpoint in a stunning display of intellectual dishonesty.

?  So you don't watch the games and you don't read the board?  I am in the math is gay camp.  Everybody knows that.  Just ask DBates and T0m.  

Johnson looks like a back that isn't particularly good at catching the ball.  I'm sure he can amass numbers but he has yet to catch a ball while running.  He catches balls floated to him while he is standing still.  That can be effective (think of Ivory last night) but not if you are not going to get anything out of using him to catch passes if he can't run the ball.  We had this discussion last week when he had 1 catch on 3 targets for 0 yards.  I am not sure how this week 0 catches on 2 targets for 0 yards bolsters the case that he is a great receiving threat.  He should have to earn reps receiving just like he has to earn them rushing. 

Respect your opinion but i dont think geno is a long term solution for any team in the nfl either. I know we wont agree, but knowing i believe that, maybe you can understand why i have a different view on starting vick. It is telling that every team in the nfl... Including the jets... Passed on the highest rated qb in the draft in a qb hungry league

I am not a Geno fan.

The JETS have to find out if Geno is the QB they can build around.  I think thats the right move from the long term perspective for the JETS organization. Geno is still in his second year and there are plays where he looks like he has made a ton of progress from last season and then there are always a handful of plays that leave you scratching your head. For better or worse the JETS have to find out if Geno can be the franchise QB they are looking for. I am sure if Geno does not measure up we are drafting a QB int he 1st round next season. I know its not the instant gratification of winning that we would all like to see, but on the other hand its good to see the JETS actually have a plan to find their next franchise QB. Which is a refreshing change from the blind hope and hopefully someday they will come thru days of Penny and Sanchez.

Vick is at this point in his career is a backup. He only sees the field because of boneheaded playcalling decisions. He only starts if the starter gets injured.

I agree. CJ has been a disappointment so far, and Powell has looked good. Even Ivory has demonstrated the ability to catch the ball. They spent a lot of money on CJ, which will probably make it difficult for them to cut down his work - but it shouldn't. I'd have him in the third RB spot, maybe trot him out there as a receiver in four or five WR sets. Make him earn some playing time by actually making a play. Right now, taking Ivory or Powell off the field for him is a downgrade and a mistake.

?  So you don't watch the games and you don't read the board?  I am in the math is gay camp.  Everybody knows that.  Just ask DBates and T0m.  

Johnson looks like a back that isn't particularly good at catching the ball.  I'm sure he can amass numbers but he has yet to catch a ball while running.  He catches balls floated to him while he is standing still.  That can be effective (think of Ivory last night) but not if you are not going to get anything out of using him to catch passes if he can't run the ball.  We had this discussion last week when he had 1 catch on 3 targets for 0 yards.  I am not sure how this week 0 catches on 2 targets for 0 yards bolsters the case that he is a great receiving threat.  He should have to earn reps receiving just like he has to earn them rushing. 

he's averaged ~40 balls a year for 8 years. i think what you are seeing is geno have zero touch on short passes.

I am not a Geno fan.

The JETS have to find out if Geno is the QB they can build around.  I think thats the right move from the long term perspective for the JETS organization. Geno is still in his second year and there are plays where he looks like he has made a ton of progress from last season and then there are always a handful of plays that leave you scratching your head. For better or worse the JETS have to find out if Geno can be the franchise QB they are looking for. I am sure if Geno does not measure up we are drafting a QB int he 1st round next season. I know its not the instant gratification of winning that we would all like to see, but on the other hand its good to see the JETS actually have a plan to find their next franchise QB. Which is a refreshing change from the blind hope and hopefully someday they will come thru days of Penny and Sanchez.

Vick is at this point in his career is a backup. He only sees the field because of boneheaded playcalling decisions. He only starts if the starter gets injured.

i believe jets are blind if they don't see that already have found out geno isn't the guy. obviously i'm not an nfl talent evaluator but he doesn't have the look to me, and i've seen enough. could easily be wrong, but i doubt it.

Archived