This is Brooks Bollinger All Over Again

SoFlaJets

Remember how Brooksy could wing that ball up and down the field all day long-BETWEEN THE TWENTIES. Then when it came to the red zone Bollinger's Jets couldn't cash the check. Geno Smith plays the same kind of football, and granted there is a lot of difference in their styles of play but the end result is uncannily the same. Marty Morninglory is starting to look like Mike Hiemerdinger too

No. I don't. I remember Brooks Bollinger just sucking in general. 

Then you weren't paying attention Joe, but that is understandable because you had to either be heavily intoxicated or medicated to get through watching that almost worst season ever-maybe even THE worst season ever because the 96 team was at least IN a lot of those games and could actually score Touchdowns, that 2005 team lost Chad, Feidler, and pulled Vinny off the couch had him brush the potato chip crumbs off of himself, squeezed his flabby Italian butt into his old uniform and had him starting the next week.

Remember how Brooksy could wing that ball up and down the field all day long-BETWEEN THE TWENTIES. Then when it came to the red zone Bollinger's Jets couldn't cash the check. Geno Smith plays the same kind of football, and granted there is a lot of difference in their styles of play but the end result is uncannily the same. Marty Morninglory is starting to look like Mike Hiemerdinger too

Actually that makes it sound like he has no one to throw to.

Double Kerley and who does Geno have who's reliable right now?

Yeah I kind of see it.  Geno has been very frustrating to watch so far.  He'll move the ball well, making some nice plays with his arm and his feet.  Then he goes and ruins it with a boneheaded decision that leads to a turnover, or a big loss of yardage.

But what's been the biggest disappointment so far is Marty's playcalling.  I thought he did a good job last year, considering the lack of talent and rookie QB he was working with.  But so far this season, some of his decisions have been really terrible.  His playcalling inside the opposing team's ten yard line have been mind-boggling.

Then you weren't paying attention Joe, but that is understandable because you had to either be heavily intoxicated or medicated to get through watching that almost worst season ever-maybe even THE worst season ever because the 96 team was at least IN a lot of those games and could actually score Touchdowns, that 2005 team lost Chad, Feidler, and pulled Vinny off the couch had him brush the potato chip crumbs off of himself, squeezed his flabby Italian butt into his old uniform and had him starting the next week.

I just looked at Brooks Bollinger's stats. In that 2005 season, Bollinger had nine starts. He threw for more than 150 yards twice. He threw for 100 or less four times. He had one 300 yard game. I can only assume you are remembering that one game because based on his overall stats, Brooks Bollinger in no way routinely moved the ball like Geno did last night. 

A better comparison is Sanchez, can make all throws and all the mistakes.

Nope.  Sanchez was a gunslinger without the positive results.  A guy like Favre is a Hall of Famer because, while he threw tons of picks, he showed the ability to take the team on his back and do some amazing things on the football field.  Sanchez never "wowed" anybody (outside of perhaps that Texans game in 2010.  That sideline throw to Braylon was pretty sweet.  But it was also against one of the worst secondaries in the NFL that year).

Geno doesn't really compare to any former Jet QB.  He's a step up from Sanchez but won't get handed $64M like Pennington anytime soon, and the Bollinger comparison is pathetically stupid.

Nope.  Sanchez was a gunslinger without the positive results.  A guy like Favre is a Hall of Famer because, while he threw tons of picks, he showed the ability to take the team on his back and do some amazing things on the football field.  Sanchez never "wowed" anybody (outside of perhaps that Texans game in 2010.  That sideline throw to Braylon was pretty sweet.  But it was also against one of the worst secondaries in the NFL that year).

Geno doesn't really compare to any former Jet QB.  

I can sort of see the Bollinger comparison.  But I think the QB he reminds me the most of is Aaron Brooks.  Talented, but wildly inconsistent.

Actually that makes it sound like he has no one to throw to.

Double Kerley and who does Geno have who's reliable right now?

yea good point really there JN, that 2005 Jets team had Coles, Chrebet, Cotchery McCairens, as well as Doug Jolley and Chris Baker at TE...man if only Geno had THAT to work with

Geno doesn't really compare to any former Jet QB.  He's a step up from Sanchez but won't get handed $64M like Pennington anytime soon, and the Bollinger comparison is pathetically stupid.

No,pathetically stupid is completely missing the whole point of the conversation by making a QB comparison when it is a result oriented conversation taking place. With all due respect  to 8-0 who I like and would NEVER use a name like "stupid" to describe.

Marty didn't help him either. Redzone play calling was awful

The thing I was wondering about was the no huddle when they recovered the fumble at the end of the half.  Gruden seemed to think Geno had the calls, but he is an idiot ("Rex is faking blitz and running max cover" while Pryor is storming off the edge) They seemed to have plenty of time to mix the run and the pass.  They had timeouts left and needed like 10 yards to get to field goal range.  They were close to 4 down territory because a punt would not net much anyway.  Just seemed strange to have Geno just dropping back to pass like they had to bomb away. A FG there and they were down 1 at the half. 

No,pathetically stupid is completely missing the whole point of the conversation by making a QB comparison when it is a result oriented conversation taking place. With all due respect  to 8-0 who I like and would NEVER use a name like "stupid" to describe.

It's inaccurate to say that Bollinger was good between the 20's.  He was bad at everything from goalline to goalline.  That's why no one wanted him after his career here was done.  Geno will have suitors for at least a backup job if he wears out his welcome here.  He has a prototypical QB build, a pretty solid attitude, an ability to quickly forget his mistakes, and a good arm.  Bollinger basically had none of that.

And I didn't take offense. 

It's actually too hard to do but if one wanted to and had the time or inclination to look back at those drives like I am doing with the Miami game down here that we went to,  there are a lot of 1-5 play drives and then there are also two 6:30 min drives and a 5:00 drive that ended in a fumble, a FG, and a punt-sound familiar?

It's actually too hard to do but if one wanted to and had the time or inclination to look back at those drives like I am doing with the Miami game down here that we went to,  there are a lot of 1-5 play drives and then there are also two 6:30 min drives and a 5:00 drive that ended in a fumble, a FG, and a punt-sound familiar?

You're referring to this game:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200512180mia.htm

First possession:  One first down, drive ends at 47.

2nd possession:  3 and out.

3rd possession:  4 first downs (35 yards from Cedric Houston, 25 from Bollinger), Ben Graham fumbles to Miami.

4th possession:  One first down on a defensive penalty.

5th possession:  Jolley fumble on 2nd play.

6th possession:  3 and out.

7th possession:  5 play drive, yay, a Bollinger TD!  10-7 Dolphins lead.

8th possession:  Following interception in Miami territory, 23 yard drive resulting in FG.

HALFTIME

9th possession:  One first down (on a 16 yard run by Houston), punt 4 plays later.

10th possession:  60 yard TD to Jolley.  Yeah!!!  17-10 Jets.

11th possession:  2nd Longest drive of the game for Bollywood.  11 play drive ending in a punt.  Bollinger with 23 yards.

12th possession:  Fumble by Houston on first play.

13th possession:  3 and out.

14th possession:  Best drive for Bollinger.  7 straight completions.  However, all but one  of those throws were under 10 yards.  Ends in a FG.  24-20 Miami.

15th possession:  Long drive ends at the 14, with Bollinger throwing 4 straight incompletions to end the game.  Dolphins win 24-20.

Brooks Bollinger in his best game ever:  SLINGIN' IT. 

almost had the stain out. now i may never lose the memory. welp, guess i'll keep trying heavy drinking.

remember Herm's famous quote "well we might as well try and help Curtis get his 1000 yards" thus giving the playbook away and every team focusing on Curtis' hurting and injured legs-what an idiot. You see what I mean about our owner? His head coach choices manage to coach themselves right out of the game of football. Any wonder now why Parcells and Belichick wanted nothing to do with this guy? I'm starting to see what they must have seen early on. This is NOT a committed to winning type of guy.

Archived