Any reason we didnt sign another receiver or guard this offseason?

Matt39

Forget the idiocy of two special team scrubs locking up two roster spots....but was there any foresight regarding what this offense would look like if Decker got hurt?

How is there not an alternative for Brian Winters on this roster? We are trying to win aren't we?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but in 2015.

With who? We just whiffed on the draft we couldn't whiff on. 

It's ridiculous were talking about this sh*t again. We don't have any receivers. We don't have a 3 down tight end. Winters can't play and there's no one behind him.

Forget the idiocy of two special team scrubs locking up two roster spots....but was there any foresight regarding what this offense would look like if Decker got hurt?

How is there not an alternative for Brian Winters on this roster? We are trying to win aren't we?

Richie's still out there isn't he?   :)

It's ridiculous were talking about this sh*t again. We don't have any receivers. We don't have a 3 down tight end. Winters can't play and there's no one behind him.

We don't know if we whiffed on the draft. It's way too early to make that assessment. The coach and the quarterback weren't winning a title this year, and Idzik knew it and shopped accordingly. Gotta have some patience here.

You answered your own question.  FWIW, they tried to go after James Jones and some others, but drafting 3 WRs that can't play is the main problem.

We don't know if we whiffed on the draft. It's way too early to make that assessment. The coach and the quarterback weren't winning a title this year, and Idzik knew it and shopped accordingly. Gotta have some patience here.

This offseason was a joke. I've seen enough....the fans don't deserve this sh*t.

If there were guys with potential on this roster we could preach patience....there's no one playing right now in our long term plans in positions that suck besides Amaro. And frankly, he sucks too. Slow footed and soft.

You answered your own question.  FWIW, they tried to go after James Jones and some others, but drafting 3 WRs that can't play is the main problem.

Which guards did they go after?

This draft was loaded with receivers round 1-3. We ended up taking two more guys for Rex and a Joker tight end type player who cant block or run.

I think everyone was expecting Hill to take the next step as the number 2 (not the best plan I know). Guard, I don't know what to tell you.

Given the guys we have on our WR corps Stephen Hill should have been here. He is by no means perfect but its not like we have 5 Megatrons on the depth chart.

If Decker doesn't play then Nelson is #2 WR. That's outright scary.

This offseason was a joke. I've seen enough....the fans don't deserve this sh*t.

If there were guys with potential on this roster we could preach patience....there's no one playing right now in our long term plans in positions that suck besides Amaro. And frankly, he sucks too. Slow footed and soft.

The team looks exactly like it's looked for the last five years, but with less expensive corners. Personally, I think the next regime (assuming) might come in here and--if they're any good--be able to get quite a bit more out of these players. We're coached like a third-tier Big 10 team right now. Nobody is going to shine but the DL.

Which guards did they go after?

This draft was loaded with receivers round 1-3. We ended up taking two more guys for Rex and a Joker tight end type player who cant block or run.

I was talking about WRs, but they drafted Dozier and already had Colon, Winters, Aboushi and Campbell on roster.  IMO, the problem is the draft picks not panning out, not a lack of recognition of the problem areas. 

I was talking about WRs, but they drafted Dozier and already had Colon, Winters, Aboushi and Campbell on roster.  IMO, the problem is the draft picks not panning out, not a lack of recognition of the problem areas. 

With the amount of flexibility we had this offseason- the extreme problem areas(guard and WR) should have been corrected via FA at  least to give our young QB something to work with. Also would have allowed us to really go BPA, instead of reaching on guys come rounds 3 and 4.

At least return man could have been addressed in FA. I dont know how we boned this offseason, but we did.

You have to understand that this year was never about wining. The GM didn't spend his wade because it isn't his coach and in a lot of ways it's not really his QB. This year was about seeing if Geno can play or not, plain and simple, if he can great, if not he goes Rex goes and the entire coaching staff.

You have to understand that this year was never about wining. The GM didn't spend his wade because it isn't his coach and in a lot of ways it's not really his QB. This year was about seeing if Geno can play or not, plain and simple, if he can great, if not he goes Rex goes and the entire coaching staff.

We didnt have to spend our wad by addressing these two spots. We're sitting on about 20 mill right now. Interior pressure short circuits the entire offense...especially with a young QB. Winters can't pass block, Geno rushes a throw to David Nelson, interception. 

We didnt have to spend our wad by addressing these two spots. We're sitting on about 20 mill right now. Interior pressure short circuits the entire offense...especially with a young QB. Winters can't pass block, Geno rushes a throw to David Nelson, interception. 

It's not the Super Bowl run of 2016. It's perfectly fine for your second year QB to take shots to the knees, have to face constant pressure in his face, etc. It's healthy for the long term.

It's not the Super Bowl run of 2016. It's perfectly fine for your second year QB to take shots to the knees, have to face constant pressure in his face, etc. It's healthy for the long term.

I get not overpaying for guys who aren't worth it....but jeeze. Unless our defense starts forcing some turnovers(fat chance) there's no shot at beating Detroit Sunday. 

If this season wasnt about winning why the hell did we give a washed up running back a two year contract? I could have told Idzik CJ wasn't worth it. There were guys who could perform the third down role and return both punts and kicks....at less cost.

I get not overpaying for guys who aren't worth it....but jeeze. Unless our defense starts forcing some turnovers(fat chance) there's no shot at beating Detroit Sunday. 

If this season wasnt about winning why the hell did we give a washed up running back a two year contract? I could have told Idzik CJ wasn't worth it. There were guys who could perform the third down role and return both punts and kicks....at less cost.

It's basically a one year contract. There's no way they resign him. He's due an option bonus of 500,000 after the Super Bowl that would escalate his contract to 3.5 base salary as well. The salary also increases to 4.5 mil if he hits certain performance incentives. He won't.

It's looking, right now, as a waste of money. Money that could have been used elsewhere. CB, Guard, Tate, Sanders?

It's basically a one year contract. There's no way they resign him. He's due an option bonus of 500,000 after the Super Bowl that would escalate his contract to 3.5 base salary as well. The salary also increases to 4.5 mil if he hits certain performance incentives. He won't.

It's looking, right now, as a waste of money. Money that could have been used elsewhere. CB, Guard, Tate, Sanders?

gotcha thx on the clarification. If things continue to go bad I could see him being released mid season.

Outside of the draft, Idzik hasnt added an impact player to the roster other than Chris Ivory.  Decker looks legit but he cant stay healthy.  Colon is a stop gap penalty machine who's average.  Breno is meh.  Landry is meh.  CJ shouldnt see the field. His drafts are so meh, its disgusting.  He's given this coaching staff pure sh*t to work with...they're so under gunned its not even funny.  I have no clue how this team actually competes each game.

All that said, they do compete game in, game out and you just have to hope he's got a plan and it works out long term.  We all knew this team sucked coming into the season, so its not a surprise they're about lose 5 straight but holy sh*t.  They're so talented starved its pathetic.  I've been saying, they need another offseason but honestly, its going to have to be one hell of an offseason to get this roster out of the bottom 5 in the NFL. 

Outside of the draft, Idzik hasnt added an impact player to the roster other than Chris Ivory.  Decker looks legit but he cant stay healthy.  Colon is a stop gap penalty machine who's average.  Breno is meh.  Landry is meh.  CJ shouldnt see the field. His drafts are so meh, its disgusting.  He's given this coaching staff pure sh*t to work with...they're so under gunned its not even funny.  I have no clue how this team actually competes each game.

All that said, they do compete game in, game out and you just have to hope he's got a plan and it works out long term.  We all knew this team sucked coming into the season, so its not a surprise they're about lose 5 straight but holy sh*t.  They're so talented starved its pathetic.  I've been saying, they need another offseason but honestly, its going to have one hell of an offseason to get this roster out of the bottom 5 in the NFL. 

I think your buddy Rex still has a lot of pull in that war room. The team seems to be getting pulled in several different directions.

But as you've alluded to- the oline is pretty close to needing an entire overhaul...it's jsut a matter if the organization realizes that or not.

As somebody mentioned earlier, I think they were counting on Hill to step up and/or one of the three WR's to contribute something.  They were wrong on Hill and the WR's haven't contributed for multiple reasons that they could not  have anticipated.  I'd be upset if they didn't draft any WR's and went in with Decker/Hill/Kerley/Nelson, but that's not what they did.  So, being that the rookies are only three games in to their NFL careers and only one has seen the field, I'm not going to pass judgement on the guys they took.

Come draft time the Jets seem to forget how bad the offense was the year prior and convince themselves they're a player away from building a perfect defense. The past 3-4 years we've been clamoring for a wide receiver, we then go defense, we make excuses for it(even if the player is good) and then the season rolls around and were throwing to David Nelson. 

And lets not kid ourselves, the pick this year was going to be Fuller, Pryor or Ha-Ha.

As somebody mentioned earlier, I think they were counting on Hill to step up and/or one of the three WR's to contribute something.  They were wrong on Hill and the WR's haven't contributed for multiple reasons that they could not  have anticipated.  I'd be upset if they didn't draft any WR's and went in with Decker/Hill/Kerley/Nelson, but that's not what they did.  So, being that the rookies are only three games in to their NFL careers and only one has seen the field, I'm not going to pass judgement on the guys they took.

The receivers the Jets took werent even that good in college. Saunders is 160lbs...once a corner gets his hands on him it's game over. Ditto with Nelson.

The receivers the Jets took werent even that good in college. Saunders is 160lbs...once a corner gets his hands on him it's game over. Ditto with Nelson.

I don't think Enunwa was that bad in collge and thought he won a bowl game MVP last season...I could be wrong though.

Also, I can't complain about Saunders becuase I wanted them to draft Fuller or Cooks.  When Fuller was gone I was convinced Cooks was going to be the pick, and he's about the same size as Saunders.

Archived