Any reason we didnt sign another receiver or guard this offseason?

Matt39

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah a hard hitting safety is nice, but cooks and benjamin are tearing it up

Yeah I agree. Also, can't forget how the supposed hard hitting safety gets a concussion on the first day of training camp. Nothing against the kid - but he looks like a shrimp and his coverage is highly suspect as well. Still want to see him legit light someone up. All I've seen is tackles at the knees of RB's and 5'9" WR's.

another question to ponder in the what if file

why didn't the Jets draft another QB this offseason?

but then again looking at the rest of the draft picks, maybe that wouldn't have matter either

What is it that you're trying to say bit? Are you saying that when someone is bad, they should try to replace them? Is it? Because that's just crazy talk man.

Agree on both counts.  Actually I was more pissed about the Bears loss than the Packers.  Yes, we self-destructed against the Packers, but the Packers still made plays to beat us.  Aaron Rodgers found the soft spot in the defense and took advantage of it.  The Bears loss was worse, IMO, in that the Bears really did not make plays -- the game was handed to them and they took it.  We shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers, red zone playcalling, dropped passes, dropped Int -- refs made some bad calls.  They were given 14 points in the first 5 minutes.  We outplayed them over the last 55 -- Bears really did not do much to win the game other than take advantage of mistakes.  

We should be at least 2-1.

Correction: they were given 14 points in the first 5 minutes, we outplayed them for the next 50, and then in the final 5 they stepped up and marched down the field to seal the game, while we floundered in the most clutch moment of the game.

I'm just trying to figure out Idzik's logic here....because these picks were confusing when they were made. Now in action, it's been verified. The Rex picks- these guys can generally play...but were picking these guys at the expense of the offense. At some point there needs to be a draft where we go 85% offense with our first rounder being a skill position.

We had 8,000 picks this season yet we use free agency for running back? Why? If there's a position you always address with the draft and not free agency its the running back position. Powell is mediocre, but he showed last year he could catch, pass protect and be productive. Use those extra 4th and 5th rounders on a couple of backs to have in the stable come November. bahhh makes no sense.

There isnt a TE on the roster who can block either. Just obvious holes that were ignored...

John Brown. Davante Adams. Jordan Matthews. Allen Robinson.

These are just the rookie WRs showing immediate contribution / potential. This draft was ******* loaded. 

The two biggest needs on the team were CB and WR, huge needs. Half of the top ten CB's were available. We whiffed on all of them. The draft was studded with WR's one of the deepest WR drafts in memory in terms of top end talent. We whiffed on that too. How do you justify that?

from the past draft I like them all, accept the WRs we passed on very good ones, the rest are just depth I do like Dozier and as for winters he cant pass block  shame he does run block very well I just hope next draft we move up and get that #1 WR  we need.

Correction: they were given 14 points in the first 5 minutes, we outplayed them for the next 50, and then in the final 5 they stepped up and marched down the field to seal the game, while we floundered in the most clutch moment of the game.

Good point -- but 13 points over 55 minutes against a high powered offense should have been good enough to win.  That said, when is the last time that our defense made a big play late in a game to give us a chance at victory.

another question to ponder in the what if file

why didn't the Jets draft another QB this offseason?

but then again looking at the rest of the draft picks, maybe that wouldn't have matter either

I know the focus is on Saunders and McDougle (and I like Geno more than most), but I honestly believe that passing on Bridgewater is the decision that's going to get Idzik fired.

Reading this thread, I feel I should be reading Idzik did a sh*tty job drafting.  Seems like.  Instead I am reading that we should have drafted for need.  I don't agree with that.  FWIW, I liked Moncrief and I don't think he went particularly early.

I think drafting a 160lb punt returner qualifies as drafting for need.

I think drafting a 160lb punt returner qualifies as drafting for need.

You've been running with that narrative for quite awhile, but I don't see why it is so true.  You claim that Saunders is nothing more than a punt returner, but why can't he be a slot receiver?  He's too small sure, but the idea that a guy that liked Shaq Evans so much would erroneously think the kid could play WR is not so far out there.

You've been running with that narrative for quite awhile, but I don't see why it is so true.  You claim that Saunders is nothing more than a punt returner, but why can't he be a slot receiver?  He's too small sure, but the idea that a guy that liked Shaq Evans so much would erroneously think the kid could play WR is not so far out there.

You can't play receiver in this league at that size...once a DB gets his hands on him it's over. Plus he wasnt very good in college and was drafted off of his game vs a poor Alabama secondary. There were better receivers on the board that could have helped us immediately. 

Fact is we missed out on John Brown a few picks earlier and reached on the guy we had next up on the list to fill that role. The Cardinals were smart though, they signed Teddy Ginn too- a guy who's a proven 4th-5th WR and an awesome KR/PR.

You can't play receiver in this league at that size...once a DB gets his hands on him it's over. Plus he wasnt very good in college and was drafted off of his game vs a poor Alabama secondary. There were better receivers on the board that could have helped us immediately. 

Fact is we missed out on John Brown a few picks earlier and reached on the guy we had next up on the list to fill that role. The Cardinals were smart though, they signed Teddy Ginn too- a guy who's a proven 4th-5th WR and an awesome KR/PR.

This post completely misses my point.  I am not saying Saunders was a good choice.  I am saying there is no reason to believe that Idzik saw him as purely a punt returner.  He may have picked the wrong receiver, but that doesn't mean that he didn't pick one.  Hell he picked the wrong three receivers.

This post completely misses my point. I am not saying Saunders was a good choice. I am saying there is no reason to believe that Idzik saw him as purely a punt returner. He may have picked the wrong receiver, but that doesn't mean that he didn't pick one. Hell he picked the wrong three receivers.

If Idzik saw Saunders as a receiver worthy of a 4th round pick we have some serious problems. Id rather have Tannebaum making the picks then. This pick is just baffling though. I don't want to harp on it any more but it just made no sense. There's just no way in hell he was rated as our best player available tgere..he was the consolation prize to John Brown.

The two biggest needs on the team were CB and WR, huge needs. Half of the top ten CB's were available. We whiffed on all of them. The draft was studded with WR's one of the deepest WR drafts in memory in terms of top end talent. We whiffed on that too. How do you justify that?

I'm not justifying it. 

Have to hope that McDougle and Saunders end up being bigtime contributors after their rookie years, I guess. 

Honestly, even if we had the players, is the team doing anything differently? I mean, you can have a star-studded roster and still be a trainwreck, look at last year's Texans, or the Lions of the past few years... I'm starting to think that if you don't have the coach, and you don't have the QB, you don't spend the money. I dunno.

Honestly, I just feel sad that it's week 3 and we're already at December levels of Just End The Season.

I think Evans being behind and then eventually getting hurt was a surprise to the team.  Evans was relatively polished as a route runner (numerous reports had him as a smooth route runner before the draft) so I think they expected him the No. 4 on the team.  And as others mentioned, Hill to be better as well.  

However, there were plenty of reports that Idzik tried to trade up for a WR in the second round (believed to be either Mathews or Lee) and didn't pull the trigger because of price.  That was probably the mistake of the draft for us, because we got caught letting the guy we wanted go, and then went down to the BPA pick, which was Amaro.  I think the offseason plan was to take a WR with the second round pick (evidenced by signing Cumberland back, keeping Sudfeld as the project, and Pantale as I guess the blocking TE) and not really address TE in this draft.  We were somewhat decent there, but once the run on WRs in the second happened, with Lee, Matthews and Richardson off the board, they abandoned that plan.  It seems like a mistake.  

Although I think part of the hesitancy is based on the year before, where there were plenty of rumors of us wanting to move up in the second to pick Geno, and it worked out that he fell to us.  I think that influenced the GM to not pay as much as he may have otherwise done, IMO.  

I think Evans being behind and then eventually getting hurt was a surprise to the team.  Evans was relatively polished as a route runner (numerous reports had him as a smooth route runner before the draft) so I think they expected him the No. 4 on the team.  And as others mentioned, Hill to be better as well.  

However, there were plenty of reports that Idzik tried to trade up for a WR in the second round (believed to be either Mathews or Lee) and didn't pull the trigger because of price.  That was probably the mistake of the draft for us, because we got caught letting the guy we wanted go, and then went down to the BPA pick, which was Amaro.  I think the offseason plan was to take a WR with the second round pick (evidenced by signing Cumberland back, keeping Sudfeld as the project, and Pantale as I guess the blocking TE) and not really address TE in this draft.  We were somewhat decent there, but once the run on WRs in the second happened, with Lee, Matthews and Richardson off the board, they abandoned that plan.  It seems like a mistake.  

Although I think part of the hesitancy is based on the year before, where there were plenty of rumors of us wanting to move up in the second to pick Geno, and it worked out that he fell to us.  I think that influenced the GM to not pay as much as he may have otherwise done, IMO.  

Davante Adams and Allen Robinson were still on the board when we drafted Amaro.  Amaro went to the Jets with pick 2.17.  Adams was drafted by the Packers at pick 2.21 and Robinson by the Jaguars at 2.29.  Cody Latimer was also on the board.  I think the team would have benefited more by grabbing one of the WR's as opposed to drafting Amaro at that spot.

I'm sure every man on the Jets is super ecstatic to be a part of Geno Tryout Season No. 2.

As a rival fan I would love to criticize the Jets for this but the reality is, what else are they supposed to do? They invested a 2nd round pick in the guy, they have to find out if he can play, but more important if he can grow. I'm sure they already know exactly what he can and can't do physically, but now they need to see what he can do mentally. I really can't fault them for that because if they have to start over it sets everything back two or three years.      

I agree on Evans. Pretty sure they believed that he'd be able to contribute as a rookie right away while Saunders handled returns and Enunwa developed somewhere. But if the plan is to rely on a fourth rounder to contribute right away! that's a risky plan. I don't think they were relying on Hill at all, either. In fact, I'd think the exact opposite. While looking to give him a final chance, I'm sure there was a lot of offseason discussion about his disappointing development, and about potentially cutting him. He wasn't Idzik's pick, but he was a second rounder, you don't cut guys like that lightly.

As for draft day trades, Idzik has yet to pull one off despite many rumors/reports about trying to make a move, and having 19 picks to work with* over two years. Looks like every potential trade has been too costly for him to consummate. I suspect the guy is just too rigid and deliberate to get a deal done in the few minutes he has to work with during the draft.

*yes, I know comp picks can't be traded, but having a bunch of them should make it easier to trade others.

I'm not justifying it. 

Have to hope that McDougle and Saunders end up being bigtime contributors after their rookie years, I guess. 

Honestly, even if we had the players, is the team doing anything differently? I mean, you can have a star-studded roster and still be a trainwreck, look at last year's Texans, or the Lions of the past few years... I'm starting to think that if you don't have the coach, and you don't have the QB, you don't spend the money. I dunno.

Honestly, I just feel sad that it's week 3 and we're already at December levels of Just End The Season.

I didn't mean you, Ape.

Not sure why we are at these levels. Maybe we're expecting too much out of this last draft class, especially this early? We've pinned our hopes on the building through the draft philosophy so that puts extra pressure on the rookies, although, to be honest outside of Pryor and Amaro, the rest of the class looks like a disaster so far.

If we get blown out by the Lions, Chargers, Broncos, Pats, it's going to be ten times worse.

Forget the idiocy of two special team scrubs locking up two roster spots....but was there any foresight regarding what this offense would look like if Decker got hurt?

How is there not an alternative for Brian Winters on this roster? We are trying to win aren't we?

nothing to see here Matt its the same old bullsh!t that's been asked the last 6 years in the case of WR its been 15 years. Leaving 20 mil on the table is a disgrace and Idzik and his 2 drafts SUCK IMHO

Archived