Any reason we didnt sign another receiver or guard this offseason?

Matt39

I agree on Evans. Pretty sure they believed that he'd be able to contribute as a rookie right away while Saunders handled returns and Enunwa developed somewhere. But if the plan is to rely on a fourth rounder to contribute right away! that's a risky plan. I don't think they were relying on Hill at all, either. In fact, I'd think the exact opposite. While looking to give him a final chance, I'm sure there was a lot of offseason discussion about his disappointing development, and about potentially cutting him. He wasn't Idzik's pick, but he was a second rounder, you don't cut guys like that lightly.

As for draft day trades, Idzik has yet to pull one off despite many rumors/reports about trying to make a move, and having 19 picks to work with* over two years. Looks like every potential trade has been too costly for him to consummate. I suspect the guy is just too rigid and deliberate to get a deal done in the few minutes he has to work with during the draft.

*yes, I know comp picks can't be traded, but having a bunch of them should make it easier to trade others.

Comp picks for this organization are a hot mess . Might as well just throw them away since they have been basically worthless. We cant even make good picks in the 2nd 3rd and 4th rounds so what worth are 6th and 7th round picks ?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't mean you, Ape.

Not sure why we are at these levels. Maybe we're expecting too much out of this last draft class, especially this early? We've pinned our hopes on the building through the draft philosophy so that puts extra pressure on the rookies, although, to be honest outside of Pryor and Amaro, the rest of the class looks like a disaster so far.

If we get blown out by the Lions, Chargers, Broncos, Pats, it's going to be ten times worse.

Every new season brings hope that something, anything will go differently than it has for 50 years. Every new season also brings the hard crash down to reality. When the team has 2 winnable games against playoff-caliber competition in front of them, and they don't ascend to over-achievement, but instead flounder. It isn't much of a leap in logic to assume this isn't going to be a "magical" season.

Personally, I think Idzik has hit a sophomore slump. His first draft class contributed so much, so early, it makes it easy to forget that a draft class shouldn't be expected to "save" a team. His first really was one of the better drafts I've ever seen for the Jets. This draft, well, I think it's fair to question why we didn't package up picks and make moves to get one of the top 15 WR prospects, or why we didn't grab another QB prospect. I feel like there were substantial picks that went to waste in this one, which you can expect some years, but when we are so far from "rebuilt" it is very easy to question the logic of throwaway picks. Regardless, you can see Pryor and Amaro will be good, just not immediately, so... like normal rookies, they need time. If we net 3-4 other contributors from this draft, then I might think it was okay. The free agency issues are over-stated here, but rooted in some relevancy. You have to question if the extra $1m it would have taken to outbid competition for a CB or another legit WR is worth having saved, at the cost of a lost season.

Anyway, I think, in general, our fan base is tired. Tired of being sold "hope", and getting calamity instead. Nothing this team does inspires the confidence it takes after this much failure to trust them to do anything other than fail more.

If we get blown out by the Lions, Chargers, Broncos, Pats, it's going to be ten times worse.

As for this... I disagree. If we get blown out in these 4 games. It makes this season easier for me. No false hope... I can focus on fantasy football and the suck for "_________" whoever the #1 pick will be next year.

A couple more games like these past 2 and I'm ready for the Rex Ryan era to be over. I have ZERO confidence in his defense to win us games, he has made us endure half a decade of no offense at a time when the league is re-writing the record books on offense, and I just can't stand this fallacy that we should embrace Rex because he gives us great defense, even if it comes at the expense of offense and winning. Fans who support Rex generally strike me as scared. Scared of forfeiting the best defense we've had in a while, because it is a known commodity, at the gamble of trying to find a guy that gives us great everything. I feel like they've been duped into believing that in order to get an offense, we have to give up the defense. It's absurd. 

The way the league works today, the most successful paradigms have the QB and head coach attached at the hip. The defense is the part of the game that can be put in a silo and trusted to an expert, sort of the opposite of what we do here. 

Hell he picked the wrong three receivers.

He picked McDougle which he figured he would work in as the other side to an improving Milliner.  Then brought in an experienced CB just as a plan B.  WR-he got the best one in FA as a #1, and figured drafting three receivers in a receiver-rich class-albeit in the lower rounds-should yield someone who could be a #2 receiver, at least by midseason.  Nelson could be #2 for the first half, if need be.  I guess that was the philosophy.

Idzik's first boneheaded decision was keeping all 12 picks when we didn't have 12 open roster spots on the team. He should have used the non-compensatory as ammo to move up to grab players they actually wanted, instead of settling on 160lbs WRs. I get that you can hide a player or two on the PS, but you run the risk of valuable draft picks (see: Jeremiah George, 5th round) getting nabbed by other teams (see: Jaguars) because you try to get cute.

Also, why are you wasting a 6th round pick on Tajh Boyd when you know you're only going to carry two QBs on the active roster and you have Matt Simms for the PS? The draft made no sense in May and makes no sense today. The only pick that looks salvageable is Pryor, and even he hasn't been very good. Amaro looks completely lost and reminds me of a thinner Dustin Keller. It literally looks like he's running with two left feet. 

I've been patient with Idzik, but two years into this project and it looks like he's in very much over his head.

He picked McDougle which he figured he would work in as the other side to an improving Milliner.  Then brought in an experienced CB just as a plan B.  WR-he got the best one in FA as a #1, and figured drafting three receivers in a receiver-rich class-albeit in the lower rounds-should yield someone who could be a #2 receiver, at least by midseason.  Nelson could be #2 for the first half, if need be.  I guess that was the philosophy.

If that's the case, then it was a dumb a$$ plan. 1st Milliner never proved he could be a consistent starter, secondly no one counts on a 3rd round rookie to come in and start, and then your saying his back up plan was a random old JAG that was never much more than a JAG to begin with? Top it all off with them sitting on a bunch of cap $$$$ while a handful of good starting Cb's signed with other team and it make it inexcusable. 

Idzik's first boneheaded decision was keeping all 12 picks when we didn't have 12 open roster spots on the team. He should have used the non-compensatory as ammo to move up to grab players they actually wanted, instead of settling on 160lbs WRs. I get that you can hide a player or two on the PS, but you run the risk of valuable draft picks (see: Jeremiah George, 5th round) getting nabbed by other teams (see: Jaguars) because you try to get cute.

Also, why are you wasting a 6th round pick on Tajh Boyd when you know you're only going to carry two QBs on the active roster and you have Matt Simms for the PS? The draft made no sense in May and makes no sense today. The only pick that looks salvageable is Pryor, and even he hasn't been very good. Amaro looks completely lost and reminds me of a thinner Dustin Keller. It literally looks like he's running with two left feet. 

I've been patient with Idzik, but two years into this project and it looks like he's in very much over his head.

This sums it up well. 

Forget the idiocy of two special team scrubs locking up two roster spots....but was there any foresight regarding what this offense would look like if Decker got hurt?

How is there not an alternative for Brian Winters on this roster? We are trying to win aren't we?

We have completely forgotten about the WR position for four years now. Idzig makes Tannebum look like a football guru. How did he look at that offense (and his OC) and decide that another RB is where he needed to throw his money? This will be the second QB with no chance to succeed.

And imagine if Rex had a pass rush AND a decent secondary? or at least NFL cb's?

.....and im sorry, this is a little off topic and late but wtf is with these empty backfield formations on the 5yrd line? The element of stupid?

I was talking about WRs, but they drafted Dozier and already had Colon, Winters, Aboushi and Campbell on roster.  IMO, the problem is the draft picks not panning out, not a lack of recognition of the problem areas. 

its more of the way they went about fixing these problems. addressing major needs with bottom of the barrel free agents and 5th and 6th round picks. this is what you do when you are ready solid at the position

None of that matters, all the front office is looking at is Geno and making the ultimate decision, is he the franchise qb or not. Geno has the next 13 games to prove he deserves to have an offense built around him, if not the Jets clean house and the GM has plenty of cash to put together the team he will live or die with.  

if not geno, the next guy up would actually need an offense ,too. its hard to judge a young, inexperienced qb without some kinda help

If Idzik saw Saunders as a receiver worthy of a 4th round pick we have some serious problems. Id rather have Tannebaum making the picks then. This pick is just baffling though. I don't want to harp on it any more but it just made no sense. There's just no way in hell he was rated as our best player available tgere..he was the consolation prize to John Brown.

I'm waiting to see what Saunders looks like before I lose the faith in that pick. There has to be something he showed at some point. I know Antonio Brown is an optimistic comparison, but this is how the Steelers ended up with him and Emmanuel Sanders.

If anything, his drafts look like Rex still has too much pull, and he's still relying on Terry ******* Bradway.

If anything, his drafts look like Rex still has too much pull, and he's still relying on Terry ******* Bradway.

The restructuring of the Jets' front office under new GM John Idzik is complete, and we have an exact breakdown right here.

Before we get to names and titles, a couple of notes: Longtime executive Terry Bradway, one of the holdovers from the Mike Tannenbaum regime, has a new title. Bradway will be the senior director of college scouting. Previously, he was the senior personnel executive (2006 to 2012) and the GM (2001-2005). Idzik eliminated the player personnel department, which consisted of Bradway and JoJo Wooden, who left to work for the Chargers.

When reading the front-office roster, keep in mind the three main departments -- football administration, pro personnel and college scouting -- report to directly to Idzik. He wants to make it collaborative effort, so he will lean on Rod Graves, Jacquelin Davidson, Bradway and Jeff Bauer -- his inner circle, so to speak.

The restructuring of the Jets' front office under new GM John Idzik is complete, and we have an exact breakdown right here.

Before we get to names and titles, a couple of notes: Longtime executive Terry Bradway, one of the holdovers from the Mike Tannenbaum regime, has a new title. Bradway will be the senior director of college scouting. Previously, he was the senior personnel executive (2006 to 2012) and the GM (2001-2005). Idzik eliminated the player personnel department, which consisted of Bradway and JoJo Wooden, who left to work for the Chargers.

When reading the front-office roster, keep in mind the three main departments -- football administration, pro personnel and college scouting -- report to directly to Idzik. He wants to make it collaborative effort, so he will lean on Rod Graves, Jacquelin Davidson, Bradway and Jeff Bauer -- his inner circle, so to speak.

High level trolling right here

Archived