Jets’ Early Start Should Motivate Idzik

JetNation

John Idzik Field

Based on his team’s performance through the first three games of the 2014 season, general manager John Idzik has some reasons to be pleased with what he has seen despite their 1-2 record.  Just a few weeks ago, a decimated secondary had fans up in arms over what was to come.  Having to face offenses led by Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler was apparently going to be too much for the Jets to compete with.  There was no way that second-year QB Geno Smith was going to be able to keep the Jets in these games without a superstar target to throw to.  We heard for weeks that the Jets were going to be blown out because they didn’t sign Darelle Revis and a host of other free-agent cornerbacks…and  then they played the games.  In Green Bay, Smith threw what should have been a late game-tying touchdown that was wiped out due to miscommunication between the Jets and the officials, and that was followed by a heartbreaking loss at home to the Bears, again with a shot to tie in the closing seconds.  Two losses against potent offensive attacks that the Jets still had a chance to win or tie on their final possession was better than most expected, and while a loss is still a loss in the NFL, teams with  young quarterbacks like Smith, should always be looking at the big picture and that’s exactly what John Idzik should be doing.

Idzik has made it clear that his intention is to build this team through the draft, but it would also be foolish to ignore the needs of a team whose strengths are among the best in the NFL.  Through the first three games of the season, the Jets have the top ranked defense against the run, and barring injuries, there’s no reason to expect them to finish out of the top-5 in that category by season’s end.  On the other side of the ball, the Jets rank second in rushing despite Chris Ivory splitting carries with Chris Johnson who has struggled after a strong showing in week one.  Having a team that could realistically finish among the league’s best in rushing the ball and stopping the run, should not be ignored.  These aren’t characteristics of a team that’s re-building, but the sign of a team that could be only a couple of players away from being able to make a deep playoff run.

Through their first three games, we’ve seen that the Jets are a different team when Eric Decker is on the field giving Geno Smith the closest thing he’s had to a number one receiver since coming in to the league.  According to ESPN stats and info, through his first two games, Smith completed 73.5% of his passes with Decker on the filed, and just 27.3% with Decker on the sideline.  Decker, still battling a balky hamstring, will probably be week-to-week until he’s given ample time to rest up and fully heal.  With that in mind, the Jets have two options.  More emphasis on the running game with Ivory getting the bulk of the carries and allowing Bilal Powell to share carries with Johnson when Ivory gets a breather, or Idzik could try to pry a receiver away from a team that will clearly not be contending this year.  Vincent Jackson, 31, and his $11 million salary with 0-3 Tampa Bay would probably be the best of the bunch, and if other possibilities arise in the coming weeks, the Jets should be willing to make a deal that could propel the Jets from a fringe playoff team, to a legitimate contender.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
2DxsAZLKmp4

View the full article

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vincent Jackson, 31, and his $11 million salary with 0-3 Tampa Bay would probably be the best of the bunch,  

Vincent Jackson is currently playing with a fractured wrist. 

By the way, do those completion percentages with Decker on the field count completions to the other team?  ;)

Vincent Jackson is currently playing with a fractured wrist. 

By the way, do those completion percentages with Decker on the field count completions to the other team?   ;)

I read that he had shown no limitations with the bum wrist...report could be wrong I suppose.

There's no point in trading for a WR at this point. We've made our bed already.

Glimmer of hope were holding out for the 2015 free agent class with Dez, Demaryius and Julius Thomas all available.

I completely understand that there are a lot of fans who have already quit and given up on this team.  In situations like these, it  happens.  My hope, however irrational it may be, is always that the decision-makers don't quit on the team by as easily as some fans do.  I may be wrong, and Idzik might be on the phone booking a tee time as we speak, but I just hope I'm wrong and he sees that this team could be a player or two away from being a contender.

There's no point in trading for a WR at this point. We've made our bed already.

Glimmer of hope were holding out for the 2015 free agent class with Dez, Demaryius and Julius Thomas all available.

It would be great if any of those guys hit free-agency, but I'm not sure how likely it is that their current clubs don't make them huge offers before they hit the market.

I completely understand that there are a lot of fans who have already quit and given up on this team.  In situations like these, it  happens.  My hope, however irrational it may be, is always that the decision-makers don't quit on the team by as easily as some fans do.  I may be wrong, and Idzik might be on the phone booking a tee time as we speak, but I just hope I'm wrong and he sees that this team could be a player or two away from being a contender.

Wide receivers rarely come available. The blue chip ones get locked up...guys like Vjax and Andre are out of their primes now anyways...dont see a reason to buy high on either at this point. The Jets just need to come around on the position being extremely important.

I forget who it was(Bradway maybe?) but there was an exact quote in the Collisions book that the Jets dont see value in the wide receiver position.

Wide receivers rarely come available. The blue chip ones get locked up...guys like Vjax and Andre are out of their primes now anyways...dont see a reason to buy high on either at this point. The Jets just need to come around on the position being extremely important.

I forget who it was(Bradway maybe?) but there was an exact quote in the Collisions book that the Jets dont see value in the wide receiver position.

I think VJax isn't a bad option at 31, but I do think his price tag could scare the Jets off.  Not just the Jets, but any team.  He's a damn good WR, but is $11 mil good, IDK, but with their cap room and Decker's hammy, I'd like to see a move.  I'm fully aware of the fact that it's very unlikely to see any move get made, but I hope the fact that they've been this competitive w/o a true #1 will motivate the Jets to go out and get the best one available via trade.  It's only week four, but I think the Jets have already looked better than Idzik (and most fans) expected.

I think VJax isn't a bad option at 31, but I do think his price tag could scare the Jets off.  Not just the Jets, but any team.  He's a damn good WR, but is $11 mil good, IDK, but with their cap room and Decker's hammy, I'd like to see a move.  I'm fully aware of the fact that it's very unlikely to see any move get made, but I hope the fact that they've been this competitive w/o a true #1 will motivate the Jets to go out and get the best one available via trade.  It's only week four, but I think the Jets have already looked better than Idzik (and most fans) expected.

If we had won either the Packers or Bears game I'd probably be on board. If they beat the Lions, then we might be able to revisit this.

If we had won either the Packers or Bears game I'd probably be on board. If they beat the Lions, then we might be able to revisit this.

I think their best shot was against the Bears, but that doesn't mean Det. isn't winnable.  Just saw this on twitter....is it time for Detroit to rid themsleves of Stafford?  Those numbers with Megatron aren't much better than what we've gotten from Geno.

Geno Smith: 3 TDs, 4INTs, 713 passing yds, 63.1 comp % http://<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en data-scribe-reduced-action-queue="><p>Geno Smith: 3 TDs, 4INTs, 713 passing yds, 63.1 comp % <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/jets?src=hash">#jets</a>&#10;&#10;Matthew Stafford: 3TDs, 3INTs, 883 passing yds, 62.3 comp % <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/lions?src=hash">#lions</a></p>&mdash; Kimberley A. Martin (@KMart_LI) <a href="

">September 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

Makes sense since this is a running league and DBs have all the advantages with the way the game is called.

I'm sure Tampa Bay would LOVE to trade with us again. 

New regime, right?  I'm not sure, but in all honesty they have a job to do.  If the Jets were to approach them for any deal in the future, they aren't doing their jobs if they dismiss it outright because the Revis deal didn't work out.

It would be great if any of those guys hit free-agency, but I'm not sure how likely it is that their current clubs don't make them huge offers before they hit the market.

I don't think the broncos will be able to sign either of them because of cap issues. I have zero confidence in idzik. He had proven to be a lousy gm when it come to signing FA. Say what you want about our previous GM but most of the time came thru.

I don't think the broncos will be able to sign either of them because of cap issues. I have zero confidence in idzik. He had proven to be a lousy gm when it come to signing FA. Say what you want about our previous GM but most of the time came thru.

For a player of that caliber, I think they'll re-work enough contracts to make it work.

We're going to have a TON of cap space next year. We all know Idzik. Harris, D'Brick and Mangold will probably have their contracts restructured, at least Harris and Mangold, and the salary cap is supposed to go up. There will be splashes and next season is looking pretty good if geno can improve and our secondary can improve/stay healthy.

Edit: at the rate CJ is going, I wouldn't be shocked if he's not even on the team next season

Idzik has made it clear that his intention is to build this team through the draft, but it would also be foolish to ignore the needs of a team whose strengths are among the best in the NFL.  Through the first three games of the season, the Jets have the top ranked defense against the run, and barring injuries, there’s no reason to expect them to finish out of the top-5 in that category by season’s end.

Idzik is not good at 'the draft'.   I don't know if it's a talent evaluation problem or principles or whatever, but Idzik doesn't seem to get the concept.  

the 2014 draft was one of the deepest WR drafts (a position of huge need) in recent memory.   What does Idzik walk away with?   a 4th rd PR, a redshirt, and a wife-beater.   i don't think a single pick past the 4th rd is even on the team at this point.  

how Idzik managed to bungle 12 picks is beyond me.   You could take any arm-chair draftnik or even just throw darts at a board and come up with a better draft than Big John managed.   

you should write an article about the expectations for an NFL GM.     I don't get why Idzik gets a free pass for neglecting WR last year and DB this year.   You can't just neglect a position and expect to be successful.  

We're going to have a TON of cap space next year. We all know Idzik. Harris, D'Brick and Mangold will probably have their contracts restructured, at least Harris and Mangold, and the salary cap is supposed to go up. There will be splashes and next season is looking pretty good if geno can improve and our secondary can improve/stay healthy.

Edit: at the rate CJ is going, I wouldn't be shocked if he's not even on the team next season

I look forward to a splash or two, I really do. They had enough money this year to do a cannonball in the pool, too, but didn't. All this talk about Idzik spending when he has to, or when he's settled at QB, etc., are just speculation at this point.

The Jets have the most cap room in the league right now, and that includes $15M in dead money (looked it up, I was wrong in another thread) that also will be off the books. And space gets carried over under the new CBA. And the cap is going up? That conceivably puts the Jets in the neighborhood of $60M in cap room at the start of the free agency period next year. Wow. It'll be very interesting to see what this tightwad does with all that money.

Based on how Geno as looked, trading for WR a would only do so much. The problems with this offense start on the line. Geno isn't as skittish as he was last year, and that's on him, but Winters really doesn't help with this sh*t. And is Aboushi really so bad that he can't beat him out? Oy.

I do agree WInters has not been great.

But take a look at this stat: In the first two games, Smith's completion rate was 73.5 percent with Decker on the field and 27.3 percent when he wasn't, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Getting weapons should be a priority. 

I don't think Vincent Jax and his mega contract is the answer. Cecil Shorts might be a possibility just because JAX are not upto the mark so far and have acquired 3 very good WR's in this year's draft. So foe the Jaguars the possibility of re-signing Cecil Shorts decreases and thus the possibility of trading him and getting some compensation increases.

Makes sense since this is a running league and DBs have all the advantages with the way the game is called.

Actually it does.  Theoretically, in a passing league where the WR has all the advantages, running the ball and being a DB becomes harder than being a WR and there is less value in spending on WR.  It seemed to me more that the rest of the league devalued RB, so they became bargains.

I look forward to a splash or two, I really do. They had enough money this year to do a cannonball in the pool, too, but didn't. All this talk about Idzik spending when he has to, or when he's settled at QB, etc., are just speculation at this point.

The Jets have the most cap room in the league right now, and that includes $15M in dead money (looked it up, I was wrong in another thread) that also will be off the books. And space gets carried over under the new CBA. And the cap is going up? That conceivably puts the Jets in the neighborhood of $60M in cap room at the start of the free agency period next year. Wow. It'll be very interesting to see what this tightwad does with all that money.

We can literally fill every hole we have with that kind of money

Actually it does.  Theoretically, in a passing league where the WR has all the advantages, running the ball and being a DB becomes harder than being a WR and there is less value in spending on WR.  It seemed to me more that the rest of the league devalued RB, so they became bargains.

Agreed...BASICALLY - WR is the new RB. Draft a bunch of them (obviously with the tools and skills necessary), throw them out there, and see which ones stick with the QB/offense. There's so many of them, they're all fast...it's close enough between the lot of them once you separate a Julio Jones, Andre Jonson, Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald, and the maybe handful of others...

DBs have clearly gone up in value to football franchises, BUT I only remember/notice that when it's convenient.

if we win the next 4, I hope we make the playoffs.

But if we continue to struggle, I'd rather take all that money into the offseason with the worst possible record.

Having bad teams that continually overachieve to 9-7 is a rut we need to climb out of.

if we win the next 4, I hope we make the playoffs.

But if we continue to struggle, I'd rather take all that money into the offseason with the worst possible record.

Having bad teams that continually overachieve to 9-7 is a rut we need to climb out of.

We aren't winning the next 4. I don't think we lose the next 4 either, though. If we're around .500 heading in to the bye week I think we're in decent shape for the playoffs.

it's actually getting to the point where the Jets will have to spend something, just to get to the salary floor. 

Idzik is running this team like it's a small market franchise. And Woody loves it. 

it's actually getting to the point where the Jets will have to spend something, just to get to the salary floor. 

Idzik is running this team like it's a small market franchise. And Woody loves it. 

I want to wait one more year before I can believe he's a long term cheapskate.  

Question: I'm not a student of every FA or draft pick we passed over (and I know you are)  were there many standout players worth that money?  imo Revis is good, but he's not 'wreck your financial future' good.

I want to wait one more year before I can believe he's a long term cheapskate.  

Question: I'm not a student of every FA or draft pick we passed over (and I know you are)  were there many standout players worth that money?  imo Revis is good, but he's not 'wreck your financial future' good.

First off signing Revis doesn't wreck your financial future. People forget that the cap goes up every year. It went up like 10 mil this year. IT's probably gonna keep growing at a similar rate. Why? Because the league revenues keep going up. they just signed a direct tv contract that would make your eyes bleed. The point is that teams don't have to save for the future. The future takes care of itself. Look at the Cowboys who got a salary cap penalty last year, didn't stop them from making moves, because the cap went up. 

as for the missed opportunities, certainly the Jets could have used Vernon Davis or DRC. There were good CBs out there. They missed out on all of em and went with Dimitri Patterson.

Miles Austin was out there at WR. Idzik would rather have David Nelson. Why? Cause he's younger and cheaper. There's no football reason why Nelson is a better player to have on the roster than Austin (neither play specials). 

Archived