Gotham

Jetlife33

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is getting better, the Commissioner Gordon is a badass 

He really is. My favorite character however is the penguin. He is brilliant.

I agree with both of you here.

I watch all 3 episodes last night, instead of watching my fantasy team lose to Michael Crabtree by .1 

The only character I'm torn on right now is Alfred, I'm not entirely in love with the way he's being portrayed, but I want to give it time. The kid they found to play Cat has fantastic screen presence. I love the lighting so far, and a lot of the details... there is a presence of uniforms and attire that feels dated, as well as the car that Gordon and Bullock drive around in, and yet there are smart phones and a lot of modern nuances too. It's an interesting art direction in that it almost makes you not worry about when it is taking place, which I think has value for an origin story that we've seen so many adaptations of over so many decades.

I agree with both of you here.

I watch all 3 episodes last night, instead of watching my fantasy team lose to Michael Crabtree by .1

The only character I'm torn on right now is Alfred, I'm not entirely in love with the way he's being portrayed, but I want to give it time. The kid they found to play Cat has fantastic screen presence. I love the lighting so far, and a lot of the details... there is a presence of uniforms and attire that feels dated, as well as the car that Gordon and Bullock drive around in, and yet there are smart phones and a lot of modern nuances too. It's an interesting art direction in that it almost makes you not worry about when it is taking place, which I think has value for an origin story that we've seen so many adaptations of over so many decades.

Did you watch episode 4 yesterday as well? It was the best one yet imho. Agree with you on Alfred but I'm willing to give it time because of how well they're portraying all the other characters.

I tried and it annoyed me. I wanted to yell at them to stop yelling at each other. It seemed to over the top. IMO

Sounds like a hit for real comic book fans though? Which is great! I like the idea of the show I guess more than at least what I saw from ep 1. I never read the comics so for me I was a little bit too ignorant and just wanted to know where the fuxk batman was..

I tried and it annoyed me. I wanted to yell at them to stop yelling at each other. It seemed to over the top. IMO

Sounds like a hit for real comic book fans though? Which is great! I like the idea of the show I guess more than at least what I saw from ep 1. I never read the comics so for me I was a little bit too ignorant and just wanted to know where the fuxk batman was..

Have you only watched episode 1? If you have, should try and give it some more time, it's been getting better and better each episode, imo. 

For me, it's working better as a straight up film noir, rather than a Batman background story. Sometimes the references to the Penguin or Catwoman are more distracting than anything else. As a crime drama in a city completely overrun by corruption in a sorta timeless graphic novel setting, it's really very good. 

Have you only watched episode 1? If you have, should try and give it some more time, it's been getting better and better each episode, imo. 

For me, it's working better as a straight up film noir, rather than a Batman background story. Sometimes the references to the Penguin or Catwoman are more distracting than anything else. As a crime drama in a city completely overrun by corruption in a sorta timeless graphic novel setting, it's really very good. 

Only watched the first episode... and I am a big fan of most of the Batman movies, stuff like Sin City and most well done film noir's. It's funny because after I posted that I watched the Riddler character being interviewed and looked up to find mostly all positive reviews. Judging from what you guys are saying to boot I will give it another try and a bit longer leash. 

People are divided over it. There is an interest from many because there will always be a love of Batman characters, so new stories are always fun to experience. On the other hand, I think television has set such a high bar over the past 5 years, and Gotham comes off as a bit on the campy side. I'm of the latter. Which is a real shame because I've always been a huge Jim Gordon fan. He's integral in so many of the classic Batman stories. I may still give it another go, or jump back in for Season 2, I think they will get things down a little better with time.

The Flash, however, is great. I was skeptical about Gustin after the pilot but it turns out he is a great Barry Allen.

• 2 weeks later...

My mind was blown when I saw that ending.

I actually for some odd reason was not surprised.  I guess she has a look of guilt on her face that made me think Hmmm?  Not saying I knew it was a chick but i did get a feeling she was not alone in that bed.  Fact it was her ex hot lady lover?  BONUS

I gave it 3 episodes and gave up. As a hardcore Batman comic fan, I had high hopes for the concept, but it just didn't work for me.

I do understand this.  Half of the time I stop noticing the Batman references.  Mostly window dressing.  but I do find the show very interesting and entertaining.  Not sure why.  I do know it go's well with cheese danish and a seltzer.  

• 1 month later...

Archived