Rex Ryan and John Idzik are a Packaged Deal

Jack Straw

There's a common belief floated around that John Idzik is safe from being fired because he hasn't had the opportunity to bring in his own head coach. This is pure blasphemy. John Idzik's responsibilities are very different than Rex Ryan's, and he should be judged accordingly. 

What we're witnessing in 2014 is not the result of bad coaching but rather the result of bad talent. John Idzik has had two years to address the cornerback and wide receiver situation, and he has failed miserably at addressing either one. He's had a war chest of $22 million and 19 draft picks to find a WR and a CB, and he's failed miserably at finding both. To date:

• Idzik went all-in on a talented yet highly flawed QB in Geno Smith when we already had one of those on the roster in Mark Sanchez. This was not Rex Ryan's decision.
  • Idzik drafted a highly talented yet oft-injured CB in Dee Milliner, who can't stay on the field. He then tried to address this by, wouldn't you know it, drafting a highly talented yet oft-injured CB in Dexter MacDougle, who also can't stay on the field.
  • Idzik had 12 draft picks in 2014 to find a WR, and addressed it by using a 4th rounder on fringe 5'9 160lb prospect. He then spent two late round, developmental prospects. This is not "addressing a need."
  • Idzik wasted a 6th round prospect on a QB even though we had Geno Smith and Mike Vick on the roster and only carry two QBs on the roster. Matt Simms showed promise in spot duty last year and was a sure thing for the practice squad, leaving no spot for Boyd. Why are we squandering valuable draft picks?

Of the 19 draft picks that Idzik has had to work with, only one has shown that he's capable of being a full-time, productive starter in the league. 9 of the 12 draft picks from the 2014 draft class weren't active in week 4. This isn't Rex Ryan, folks - this is 100% John Idzik.

I'm not saying Rex has done a great job as head coach, but this roster is so devoid of talent that no head coach in the world would be able to come in and succeed with it. If Rex is getting fired for going 6-10 this season, then John Idzik should be fired along with him. This roster is a joke, and that's on Idzik.

There's a common belief floated around that John Idzik is safe from being fired because he hasn't had the opportunity to bring in his own head coach. This is pure blasphemy. John Idzik's responsibilities are very different than Rex Ryan's, and he should be judged accordingly. 

What we're witnessing in 2014 is not the result of bad coaching but rather the result of bad talent. John Idzik has had two years to address the cornerback and wide receiver situation, and he has failed miserably at addressing either one. He's had a war chest of $22 million and 19 draft picks to find a WR and a CB, and he's failed miserably at finding both. To date:

• Idzik went all-in on a talented yet highly flawed QB in Geno Smith when we already had one of those on the roster in Mark Sanchez. This was not Rex Ryan's decision.
  • Idzik drafted a highly talented yet oft-injured CB in Dee Milliner, who can't stay on the field. He then tried to address this by, wouldn't you know it, drafting a highly talented yet oft-injured CB in Dexter MacDougle, who also can't stay on the field.
  • Idzik had 12 draft picks in 2014 to find a WR, and addressed it by using a 4th rounder on fringe 5'9 160lb prospect. He then spent two late round, developmental prospects. This is not "addressing a need."
  • Idzik wasted a 6th round prospect on a QB even though we had Geno Smith and Mike Vick on the roster and only carry two QBs on the roster. Matt Simms showed promise in spot duty last year and was a sure thing for the practice squad, leaving no spot for Boyd. Why are we squandering valuable draft picks?

Of the 19 draft picks that Idzik has had to work with, only one has shown that he's capable of being a full-time, productive starter in the league. 9 of the 12 draft picks from the 2014 draft class weren't active in week 4. This isn't Rex Ryan, folks - this is 100% John Idzik.

I'm not saying Rex has done a great job as head coach, but this roster is so devoid of talent that no head coach in the world would be able to come in and succeed with it. If Rex is getting fired for going 6-10 this season, then John Idzik should be fired along with him. This roster is a joke, and that's on Idzik.

Not for nothing, but McDougle was injured once in college. It wasn't like he never saw the field. His injury was also to his shoulder, not his legs. There was no reason to think he would have ACL problems. 

I do agree though, that with only two draft picks out of 12 on the field, it looks bad

Mike Singletary 49ers team became a lot more "talented" when Harbaugh took over. Same with the Rich Kotite/Parcells Jets. Rex sucks.

Those picks showed ability or flashes and they were also actually ON the roster.

Not totally disagreeing - but Bradway had one Damien Robinson in 5 years, idzik has had 5 in two years.

So, if they are a package deal, then why did you just write a novel about it being Izdick's fault?

Because the idea exists that Rex should be fired but Idzik should survive. I'm saying that that shouldn't be the case. If Rex is fired, Idzik should be fired along with him. I'm not in love with Rex, but he's a better head coach than Idzik is a general manager.

Because the idea exists that Rex should be fired but Idzik should survive. I'm saying that that shouldn't be the case. If Rex is fired, Idzik should be fired along with him. I'm not in love with Rex, but he's a better head coach than Idzik is a general manager.

Idzik hasn't been here for two years. Rex has been here for six/ the personnel issues have been the same for those six years. The only difference is that the GM isn't bailing out the coaching staff with overpaid free agents.

Idzik hasn't been here for two years. Rex has been here for six/ the personnel issues have been the same for those six years. The only difference is that the GM isn't bailing out the coaching staff with overpaid free agents.

If you're relying on Jalen Saunders, David Nelson, Greg Salas and bunch of late round practice-squad, loser wide receivers for production, the general manager has not done his job. The Decker signing is fine. But the fact remains that Decker and Kerley are the only two receivers who should be on this team. Our problem is that we have a good #2 and #3 receivers, and then a bunch of #5/practice squad guys who are playing way too many snaps. That's on Idzik.

When you have had 19 draft picks to address the issue and $22 million sitting in the bank, that's not OK.

Not for nothing, but McDougle was injured once in college. It wasn't like he never saw the field. His injury was also to his shoulder, not his legs. There was no reason to think he would have ACL problems. 

I do agree though, that with only two draft picks out of 12 on the field, it looks bad

I think Milliner missed one game at Alabama.

If you're relying on Jalen Saunders, David Nelson, Greg Salas and bunch of late round practice-squad, loser wide receivers for production, the general manager has not done his job. The Decker signing is fine. But the fact remains that Decker and Kerley are the only two receivers who should be on this team. Our problem is that we have a good #2 and #3 receivers, and then a bunch of #5/practice squad guys who are playing way too many snaps. That's on Idzik.

When you have had 19 draft picks to address the issue and $22 million sitting in the bank, that's not OK.

I'm watching a football game where the best WR on the field is Julian Edelman. Both of these teams are considered contenders. Tom Brady would kill you to have someone like Decker on his team.

I'm watching a football game where the best WR on the field is Julian Edelman. Both of these teams are considered contenders. Tom Brady would kill you to have someone like Decker on his team.

The Patriots offense is awful. Citing a bad offense as the model of what a receiving corps should look like is none too smart.

The Patriots offense is awful. Citing a bad offense as the model of what a receiving corps should look like is none too smart.

Also, the immortal Dwayne Bowe and Donnie Avery. What receivers did you want that would agree to come play here on the heels of watching this franchise effectively end the careers of Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards? This place is a graveyard for receivers.

Also, the immortal Dwayne Bowe and Donnie Avery. What receivers did you want that would agree to come play here on the heels of watching this franchise effectively end the careers of Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards? This place is a graveyard for receivers.

Weird how physical specimins die here but JAGs like chrebet and kerley thrive.

Emmanuel Sanders signed a 3 year, $15 million deal ($5 million per year) with the Broncos. We're paying our backup quarterback the same amount of money per annum. I would have preferred to have paid Sanders $6 million a year rather than watch balls bounce off David Nelson's head every game. But that's just me.

Emmanuel Sanders signed a 3 year, $15 million deal ($5 million per year) with the Broncos. We're paying our backup quarterback the same amount of money per annum. I would have preferred to have paid Sanders $6 million a year rather than watch balls bounce off David Nelson's head every game. But that's just me.

That is maddening part. If you wont bench geno for being the worst qb in the league why do you bring in an expensive backup? Spend it on demz weppinz

That is maddening part. If you wont bench geno for being the worst qb in the league why do you bring in an expensive backup? Spend it on demz weppinz

Because this organization is a cluster ****. Idzik having a long term plan would have some merit if we weren't paying Vick like a starter or signing Chris Johnson. We had a million picks- we couldn't use one on a back instead of bringing in a washed up malcontent?

Emmanuel Sanders is Jeremy Kerley and--maybe it's just me--I'm thinking he still would have chosen Denver and Peyton over NY and Geno.

Sanders career YPR: 12.7

Kerley: 12.6

Would still be a valuable starter here. Paying him 6 mill over three seasons wouldn't prevent the team from doing anything. It's not like we've extedned anyone anyways.

We still have plenty to pursue the big name WR's this offseason.

Would still be a valuable starter here. Paying him 6 mill over three seasons wouldn't prevent the tw from doing anything. It's not like we've extedned anyone anyways.

He'd be a nice add, but I don't think that giving dudes like Sanders $6 mil makes a ton of sense when you're rebuilding, especially when you have Kerley already. Consider next year, when (supposedly) we'll add the big-ticket guys. We're going to give Decker $7m, Sanders $6, then a Demaryius Thomas $11m? That's a lot of coin dedicated to one position group.

He'd be a nice add, but I don't think that giving dudes like Sanders $6 mil makes a ton of sense when you're rebuilding, especially when you have Kerley already. Consider next year, when (supposedly) we'll add the big-ticket guys. We're going to give Decker $7m, Sanders $6, then a Demaryius Thomas $11m? That's a lot of coin dedicated to one position group.

It's something this team is going to have to do because we can't draft it for sh*t.

It's something this team is going to have to do because we can't draft it for sh*t.

Basically. The problem is, if you cant draft you need to drop coin in FA. Draft is only way to get talent at a bargain for a few years. This is one thing Tanny understood, for all his faults.

Archived