Is Geno at Fault?

j4jets

I rarely start threads because I'm a glass half full type of a guy. But here is my assessment of Geno.

He's hasnt played at an all pro level by any means. He hasn't played like the league worst QB either like most of us make it sound like. He's played average and let me explain why:

In Sunday's game, did anyone keep a tab of how many drives were killed with dropped passes? I didn't but I saw about 5-6 dropped passes. Decker had two passes dropped. Both would've given us first downs. We'e they the most accurate passes Geno has thrown? No. But you expect an NFL WR to make a 'slightly' tough catch. Especially for a WR that is teams #1 choice. Decker won't drop many passes. He's very sure handed so we can take solace from that.

Ivory dropped two passes, one which could've been a very long gain. No one within 20 yards and then it was one on one with the safety I believe. This was a very easy catch. I believe Geno ended up throwing a pick a couple plays later so the effect of that lost down was huge. Ivory dropped another simple pass far left side that would've saved another drive.

There were two other drops but can't remember who dropped em. I think one was Kerley. All were very catchable throws. Throws that QBs like Manning n Brees make all the time. Cutler and Stafford do it all game long. Their passes are much worse as they simply chick it towards their tall receivers who do the rest game in game out. Jets easily had 3-4 drives killed, if not more because of lack of concentration by the wideouts.

We can blame idzik about not bringing in talent at the WR position, but Geno isn't at fault here. When his best weapon drops passes, he can't bring you back from a 17-3 hole because the talent drop is huge at WR depth. Right now, I believe Jets need to trade for a WR to help Geno AND Decker. Who is our 2nd WR on the outside right now? Seriously, who is it? I can't honeslt remember. Is it Salas? Cuz Nelson is out.

The previous two games, David "I fumble on ever touch" Nelson was the #1 WR when Decker was out and Geno still should've beat Packers n Bears if it wasn't for some crazy game calls by refs (the TO TD which wasn't a TO, the no-call PI on the last Jets offensive play vs Bears, the Fumble returned TD). The list is long. But Geno has been on the receiving end. The Geno fumble last game wasn't a fumble. His hand clearly started the forward motion even if the defender hit the elbow with his head. With his HEAD. see the no-call there but the fumble was called and didn't get turned over.

I don't blame games on refs. But some of the calls or no-calls really hurt the Jets n Geno. For Geno to strive, he needs his WR to be sure handed and the refs to be 'fair'. Im confident Geno will bounce back. He has flashed his potential a lot of times this yr. I beleive he needs to take off running a lil bit more when there's nothing open (which is quite often). And MM needs to trust him more as well. Can't handcuff him for an entire half n then hopes he lights it up in the 2nd.

Geno's problems are related to two things:

1) Decision making. Although it could also be his vision. He often fails to recognize the best option on a pass play. Is he rushing or not going through his progressions? I'm not sure. But he leaves plays on the field by throwing to his check down when their is an open down field option, or throws down filed into coverage rather than using his check down or throwing it away. He seems incapable of  accepting that an incomplete pass is a perfectly fine option if no one is open or he is under pressure -- He runs and takes a yardage loss instead of throwing the ball away, or he forces a throw into coverage. His poor decision making invariably leads to "blow up" plays. Fumble where he holds the ball too long and interceptions.

2) Accuracy. This is not just an issue of him completely missing open WR's on occassion. It is also his ball placement. When WR have to go to the ground or leave their feet to catch the ball, it eliminates YAC and opportunities for big plays. This is a huge problem. Successful NFL QB's are deadly accurate. Geno might be the least accurate QB in the entire NFL. It does not help that his release is slow either. This just gives, DB a better jump on his balls and an even better chance for an Int if the throw is not accurate.

I was in the camp of Geno could be a very good NFL QB after the way he finished last year. I do not know what has happened to him since then. But if he does not show marked improvement in these areas in the next 3 weeks, I think we can chalk up last year's finish as an aberration and accept the fact that he is not, and will never be, even an average NFL QB. 

BTW, anyone see Garrapolo last night. I have no idea whether he will ever be a successful NFL QB, but his mechanics, quick release, and accuracy were better then Geno's has ever been.

1) Decision making. Although it could also be his vision. He often fails to recognize the best option on a pass play. Is he rushing or not going through his progressions? I'm not sure. But he leaves plays on the field by throwing to his check down when their is an open down field option, or throws down filed into coverage rather than using his check down or throwing it away. He seems incapable of accepting that an incomplete pass is a perfectly fine option if no one is open or he is under pressure -- He runs and takes a yardage loss instead of throwing the ball away, or he forces a throw into coverage. His poor decision making invariably leads to "blow up" plays. Fumble where he holds the ball too long and interceptions.

2) Accuracy. This is not just an issue of him completely missing open WR's on occassion. It is also his ball placement. When WR have to go to the ground or leave their feet to catch the ball, it eliminates YAC and opportunities for big plays. This is a huge problem. Successful NFL QB's are deadly accurate. Geno might be the least accurate QB in the entire NFL. It does not help that his release is slow either. This just gives, DB a better jump on his balls and an even better chance for an Int if the throw is not accurate.

I was in the camp of Geno could be a very good NFL QB after the way he finished last year. I do not know what has happened to him since then. But if he does not show marked improvement in these areas in the next 3 weeks, I think we can chalk up last year's finish as an aberration and accept the fact that he is not, and will never be, even an average NFL QB.

BTW, anyone see Garrapolo last night. I have no idea whether he will ever be a successful NFL QB, but his mechanics, quick release, and accuracy were better then Geno's has ever been.

this might be the most intelligent post I've seen here in months. thanks!

1) Decision making. Although it could also be his vision. He often fails to recognize the best option on a pass play. Is he rushing or not going through his progressions? I'm not sure. But he leaves plays on the field by throwing to his check down when their is an open down field option, or throws down filed into coverage rather than using his check down or throwing it away. He seems incapable of  accepting that an incomplete pass is a perfectly fine option if no one is open or he is under pressure -- He runs and takes a yardage loss instead of throwing the ball away, or he forces a throw into coverage. His poor decision making invariably leads to "blow up" plays. Fumble where he holds the ball too long and interceptions.

All valid and excellent points, but I'll add coaching to the mix. I think they've made him skittish by pounding him over the turnovers and probably only have him watching half the field or only allowing him two receiving options. When they've turned him loose, he's been a decent gunslinger that also allows the turnovers that come with that style of play, but also makes big plays. When they dial back the play book, he looks like ****.

years from now the story is going to be how the Jets took Jace Amaro 10 slots before Garappolo, Sorry Jets fans, he's legit. 

You cant win Football games when you're QB gives the ball back to the other team, at least twice a game, often being in the defensive TD fashion.  You just cant do it.  The turnover margin is -8.  That's literally impossible to overcome. 

I dont care how good your coach is, everyone's favorite easy scapegoat around here...When you're QB is coughing the ball up, its nearly impossible to win.   Just look at the 2 HOF'ers last night, BB and Brady.  Brady had what, 3 turnovers?  What was the result?  A blow out.

The Jets turn the ball over at an alarming rate and have actually stayed in the games, with a chance to win.  Dont know how...but they do.  Its crazy.  With a -8 turnover margin, they should be getting blown out each week.

So yes, IMO, its all on Geno.  Is the rest of the team perfect? No. But you cant win with a liability at the most important position on the team.   I get his weapons suck.  They're terrible and Idzik is a ******* moron for trying to get a real look at Geno with this supporting cast but that is no excuse for his turnovers.  They've all been terrible and stupid and ill-timed.  This team isnt good enough to overcome them.  Bottom line. 

You cant win Football games when you're QB gives the ball back to the other team, at least twice a game, often being in the defensive TD fashion.  You just cant do it.  The turnover margin is -8.  That's literally impossible to overcome. 

I dont care how good your coach is, everyone's favorite easy scapegoat around here...When you're QB is coughing the ball up, its nearly impossible to win.   Just look at the 2 HOF'ers last night, BB and Brady.  Brady had what, 3 turnovers?  What was the result?  A blow out.

The Jets turn the ball over at an alarming rate and have actually stayed in the games, with a chance to win.  Dont know how...but they do.  Its crazy.  With a -8 turnover margin, they should be getting blown out each week.

So yes, IMO, its all on Geno.  Is the rest of the team perfect? No. But you cant win with a liability at the most important position on the team.   I get his weapons suck.  They're terrible and Idzik is a ******* moron for trying to get a real look at Geno with this supporting cast but that is no excuse for his turnovers.  They've all been terrible and stupid and ill-timed.  This team isnt good enough to overcome them.  Bottom line. 

To play devils advocate, I have read multiple posts from you saying how much talent Geno has, and how is the real deal, etc, etc, etc.......

So, my question to you, why is he not playing to the level of talent you saw from him? I blame coaching. Forget Rex for a second, Marty is responsible for the offense, the play calling.

Now, I know you seem to want to protect Rex at all costs, and put blame on everyone but him, but this seems at least a bit contradictory since you have raved about Geno's talent int he past. I think even you with more Rex apologies than anyone on the planet would agree that if Marty does a bad job with the offense, Rex will have gone through 3 OC's without any positive results and would not be a good sign for him.

Keep in mind, I love Rex, but I love the Jets more, and I think you have to be objective with this stuff.

That's pretty much it.  He fumbles a LOT, which means to me either he doesn't feel pass rushers (and cover up the ball), or he is just reckless.  QB fumbles are huge game changers, big returns, but field position switches.

It's made worse by the fact that Rex's amazing D never gets turnovers.  It seems like every game, Jets have 2-3 and the other team has 0, and you just aren't going to win like that.

To play devils advocate, I have read multiple posts from you saying how much talent Geno has, and how is the real deal, etc, etc, etc.......

So, my question to you, why is he not playing to the level of talent you saw from him? I blame coaching. Forget Rex for a second, Marty is responsible for the offense, the play calling.

Now, I know you seem to want to protect Rex at all costs, and put blame on everyone but him, but this seems at least a bit contradictory since you have raved about Geno's talent int he past. I think even you with more Rex apologies than anyone on the planet would agree that if Marty does a bad job with the offense, Rex will have gone through 3 OC's without any positive results and would not be a good sign for him.

Keep in mind, I love Rex, but I love the Jets more, and I think you have to be objective with this stuff.

I dont believe I've ever "raved" about Geno's talents.  Or at least, I've never meant to.  I think he's got some serious arm talent and seems to have some good athleticism which could lead to a solid career.  Coming into the last 2 weeks, I thought we were watching a improving QB based on what we saw the last from the last 4 weeks of 2013 and the first 1 1/2 games of 2014.  After 3 straight games of struggling to get the offense moving, I've changed my position because the kid isnt correcting the same damn mistakes, at all.  They're getting worse and happening at even more inopportune times.  He cant take care of the ball and its crippling a team who cant afford it because they dont have the talent to overcompensate for their sh*tty QB.

I truly dont think its on Rex.  Marty and Lee are known for being able to develop QB's.  Geno has 2 very good coaches that he spends a lot of time with and I'm sure its much more time than he spends with Rex.  I think Rex and his OC's have been strapped with turnover prone QB's.  Its a tough position to play and 85% of these guys suck.  The Jets have taken their shots and have missed.  Blame Rex, blame the GM, blame the OC...I typically look at the player because I'm more than confident his coaches arent coaching him to turn the ball over.  Something isnt clicking in the player.  I know when I fail, I dont blame anyone but myself because I have very high expectations for myself and the one person who is in complete control of my performance, is me. Not my boss, not my peers, not the people who work for me...its all on me...and when I fail, thats where the blame falls.

All that said, the same sh*t keeps happening here and when that happens, it is time for change.  Blow this sh*t bag of a roster up and start over.  New GM, new HC.  The Jets need a change in climate. 

He changed his mind based on new information. I don't see any inconsistency. In fact, it is objective to allow changing evidence to allow your mind to change. Blindly sticking to an old opinion in the face of contradictory new data is actually the meaning of not being objective.

I rarely start threads because I'm a glass half full type of a guy. But here is my assessment of Geno.

He's hasnt played at an all pro level by any means. He hasn't played like the league worst QB either like most of us make it sound like. He's played average and let me explain why:

In Sunday's game, did anyone keep a tab of how many drives were killed with dropped passes? I didn't but I saw about 5-6 dropped passes. Decker had two passes dropped. Both would've given us first downs. We'e they the most accurate passes Geno has thrown? No. But you expect an NFL WR to make a 'slightly' tough catch. Especially for a WR that is teams #1 choice. Decker won't drop many passes. He's very sure handed so we can take solace from that.

Ivory dropped two passes, one which could've been a very long gain. No one within 20 yards and then it was one on one with the safety I believe. This was a very easy catch. I believe Geno ended up throwing a pick a couple plays later so the effect of that lost down was huge. Ivory dropped another simple pass far left side that would've saved another drive.

There were two other drops but can't remember who dropped em. I think one was Kerley. All were very catchable throws. Throws that QBs like Manning n Brees make all the time. Cutler and Stafford do it all game long. Their passes are much worse as they simply chick it towards their tall receivers who do the rest game in game out. Jets easily had 3-4 drives killed, if not more because of lack of concentration by the wideouts.

We can blame idzik about not bringing in talent at the WR position, but Geno isn't at fault here. When his best weapon drops passes, he can't bring you back from a 17-3 hole because the talent drop is huge at WR depth. Right now, I believe Jets need to trade for a WR to help Geno AND Decker. Who is our 2nd WR on the outside right now? Seriously, who is it? I can't honeslt remember. Is it Salas? Cuz Nelson is out.

The previous two games, David "I fumble on ever touch" Nelson was the #1 WR when Decker was out and Geno still should've beat Packers n Bears if it wasn't for some crazy game calls by refs (the TO TD which wasn't a TO, the no-call PI on the last Jets offensive play vs Bears, the Fumble returned TD). The list is long. But Geno has been on the receiving end. The Geno fumble last game wasn't a fumble. His hand clearly started the forward motion even if the defender hit the elbow with his head. With his HEAD. see the no-call there but the fumble was called and didn't get turned over.

I don't blame games on refs. But some of the calls or no-calls really hurt the Jets n Geno. For Geno to strive, he needs his WR to be sure handed and the refs to be 'fair'. Im confident Geno will bounce back. He has flashed his potential a lot of times this yr. I beleive he needs to take off running a lil bit more when there's nothing open (which is quite often). And MM needs to trust him more as well. Can't handcuff him for an entire half n then hopes he lights it up in the 2nd.

Is the the only reason the Jets are 1-3 ?  No

Has he contributed to it ?                         Yes

Geno basically needs a "timeout" IMHO. When you start barking at the fans it shows me that the intense New York spotlight is getting to him. Benching him and letting him kind of take a deep breath and regroup might be the best thing for him right now. It doesn't mean that Geno's time here is over and the Jets are going to have to look for another QB. At this point though it might be the best thing for him to watch Vick and see how he handles things.

If Vick does well and the Jets somehow can get through this next stretch 2-1 (which I don't see hapeening) then you ride Vick for awhile. If they go 1-2 or 0-3 (very much in play) then put Geno back in and see if he picked up anything watching Vick.

Geno gave Rex the perfect scenario to make a switch. If Rex doesn't do it then he is either 

1) a fool  or

2) Not being allowed to call the shots. 

Geno basically needs a "timeout" IMHO. When you start barking at the fans it shows me that the intense New York spotlight is getting to him. Benching him and letting him kind of take a deep breath and regroup might be the best thing for him right now. It doesn't mean that Geno's time here is over and the Jets are going to have to look for another QB. At this point though it might be the best thing for him to watch Vick and see how he handles things.

If Vick does well and the Jets somehow can get through this next stretch 2-1 (which I don't see hapeening) then you ride Vick for awhile. If they go 1-2 or 0-3 (very much in play) then put Geno back in and see if he picked up anything watching Vick.

Geno gave Rex the perfect scenario to make a switch. If Rex doesn't do it then he is either 

1) a fool  or

If Geno allows a benching to "break his confidence" then it is better to know now that he can't handle adversity. Playing like a dog for weeks on end and getting blistered by fans is no picnic either and he has already shown that it is bothering him. He will get the start against San Diego. Will be curious to see how short the leash is. I essentially have no hope that he will perform well.

Words, words, words, words, words... 

No. It is not all Geno's fault. He is the latest in a long line of scapegoats. 

The reality is, the OL is not what it once was, we still don't have an OC who understands how to commit to the run and roll with high percentage passing (like we saw last night from the Chiefs), we still have a HC that is a detriment to all things offense, a team that is undisciplined and sloppy, 3 phases of the game that are disjointed from each other, multiple first rounders all over the defense, and none on offense, etc, etc, etc...

The only period of success we've had under Rex was with veterans peppered into the offense that knew how to over-compensate for Rex's neglect for the offense. They knew how to get it done, and hide Sanchez's flaws. Brick, Mangold, Moore, Faneca, Woody, Cotchery, Thomas Jones, Tony Richardson, and even Keller. Mangini's offense got the job done. 

The minute Rex started influencing what Tanny did in the draft, it went downhill. Rex is a detriment to the roster, the same roster that "lacks talent and holds Rex back". 

Basically, Geno is just another excuse for Rex.

years from now the story is going to be how the Jets took Jace Amaro 10 slots before Garappolo, Sorry Jets fans, he's legit. 

What I noticed last night-Garapolo was talking to coaches on the bench and in a headset in a total blowout. He takes his job seriously.

SMith NEVER TALKS TO ANYONE on the sideline. I really don't understand his MO at all. 

What I noticed last night-Garapolo was talking to coaches on the bench and in a headset in a total blowout. He takes his job seriously.

SMith NEVER TALKS TO ANYONE on the sideline. I really don't understand his MO at all. 

Not true, sometimes he chats up the fans.

I wouldn't read to much into it. Everyone has their own thing on what they do on the sidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) a fool  or

As per Ryan yesterday "It's a Jets decision". Not clear it's entirely Ryan's decision to make or his decision at all. More proof under Woody Johnson the orgnaizational chart looks like a bowl of spaghetti. 

But here is my assessment of Geno.

His performance statistics do not back up this assertion.

He is, indeed, amongst the bottom 5 performing QB's in the NFL in 2013 and thus far in 2014.

As with Rex (and as it used to be with Sanchez especially), many fans may prefer to deflect blame for that performance elsewhere.

But the numbers are what they are.

His performance statistics do not back up this assertion.

He is, indeed, amongst the bottom 5 performing QB's in the NFL in 2013 and thus far in 2014.

As with Rex (and as it used to be with Sanchez especially), many fans may prefer to deflect blame for that performance elsewhere.

But the numbers are what they are.

the OP is technically right he's not the worst QB in the league. He's the 2nd worst. Jake Locker is actually the worst (by QB rating). 

Hopefully we are not comparing Geno to Manning, Brees, Brady, ARod etc. He is not there. Not yet. His decision making isn't the issue. Not always, although I think he gets frustrated at times and takes a wild shot at covered WRs. I broke down all of Geno's throws in the Lions game beginning with the 2nd series (first series he barely passed I think) and my such breakdown is in a word file at home. I will be posting that tonight (or tomorrow) when I get home and you'll actually see how much of the blame goes squarely on Geno. 

His accuracy is also not an issue in my eyes. When under pressure, his accuracy does take a toll, but didn't that used to be the blueprint to beat Brady, a surefire first ballot future Hall of Fame QB? Geno's ball placement on most occasions has a lot to do where defenders are placed. I saw a lot of off target throws, but they are only off target at first sight. When you break down the footage, you will see why some of his passes were 'intentionally' thrown to the back shoulder, high, low, under-thrown over thrown etc. 

Archived