Who would you rather, Idzik or Tanny?

heymangold

Well, the Jets needed a WR for their young QB. S was a head scratcher, even though Pryor might have a nice career.  The 2 WR's that were taken in the 1st round after Pryor are having very strong years, Benjamin and Cooks.  Teddy Bridgewater looked very good too.  Jordan Matthews too.  Dennard, they guy I wanted, playing really well in Cinci.

FWIW and I dont think it really matters much but every Safety taken after Pryor in the 1st has more tackles than him. 

It doesn't matter. Just means he's being targeted more, and their front 7 is letting opponents get to a deeper level of the defense (probably in the run game).

You can see hesitation in Pryor right now, which is fine, you should. He's a rookie. I'll worry about him if he isn't playing instinctively by the end of the year, start of next year. For now, it's getting reps and learning. Can't avoid that.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not even about impact, it's about picks making the roster. He had twelve picks, four of which were comp picks that he had to take players with. That left him with eight more to use to move up in the draft, maybe get one of the WR's that were available early in the second round. Fill a need with one good player, rather than three who currently aren't on the 53 man roster. If the thought process was the roster is crap, lets load up with all twelve picks and bolster the team, it was a failure because they've bolstered nothing. If he failed to make any trades because he was unable to get a deal done, that was also a failure because so many picks failed to make the team. 

It was a poor draft, especially given all the picks he had to work with. And when you throw in all the cap room he had available, it was a crappy overall offseason. 

What if 2 of Evans, Enuwa and Saunders (assuming he's signed to PS) turn into contributors?  Why does everyone want to write them completely off because they haven't made instant splashes? 

Salas is playing well right now but he spent his first year on the Eagles practice squad.  This notion that if a player doesn't produce immediately he's a bust is getting ridiculous.

What if 2 of Evans, Enuwa and Saunders (assuming he's signed to PS) turn into contributors?  Why does everyone want to write them completely off because they haven't made instant splashes? 

Salas is playing well right now but he spent his first year on the Eagles practice squad.  This notion that if a player doesn't produce immediately he's a bust is getting ridiculous.

I'm not calling them busts, but he could've done dramatically better. WR was a position of immediate need. He didn't fill it. He signed two free agents and drafted three more WRs, only one of those five is currently on the roster - and he's had difficulty staying healthy. This was a deep WR draft, too. Very deep. 

Every team that took a WR in the first 3 rounds, except the Giants.

Bills

Tampa

Giants

Saints

Panthers

Jags

Eagles

Seahawks

Broncos

Colts

Cardinals

Ok so which one of those teams that didn't already have a good offense is better?  All the non playoff teams from last year on that list are still in NFL purgatory.

The expecation of earlier returns is higher on a talent-starved team.

I'm not calling them busts, but he could've done dramatically better. WR was a position of immediate need. He didn't fill it. He signed two free agents and drafted three more WRs, only one of those five is currently on the roster - and he's had difficulty staying healthy. This was a deep WR draft, too. Very deep. 

Amaro has 4 less receptions and 25 less yards than Jordan Matthews..  in a significantly less polished offense.  The way people talk around here you'd think it was a much greater discrepancy.

Bills

Tampa

Giants

Saints

Panthers

Jags

Eagles

Seahawks

Broncos

Colts

Cardinals

Ok so which one of those teams that didn't already have a good offense is better?  All the non playoff teams from last year on that list are still in NFL purgatory.

So, the entire offense has to be better in order for it to be a "rookie having an impact"?

Tanny simply ran the room. He got the coach the players he wanted. That is pretty well documented and explains his contrast in style between Mangini and Rex. Idzik it appears, especially after today's comments about the QB situation, is running the show. If given the choice I would take Tanny back. The only way this stuff works is if the coach has final say on personnel. Any other way is a disaster, as we can see right now.

Tanny simply ran the room. He got the coach the players he wanted. That is pretty well documented and explains his contrast in style between Mangini and Rex. Idzik it appears, especially after today's comments about the QB situation, is running the show. If given the choice I would take Tanny back. The only way this stuff works is if the coach has final say on personnel. Any other way is a disaster, as we can see right now.

tanny was a closer, i'll give him that, but far too reckless with the future financial condition of the team. it's hard to fault him for going all in early in rex's tenure when we were a contender--you can't let a championship window go to waste in this league--but the moves after 2011 made little sense, especially the infamous sanchez extension. if tanny had cut the high priced aging talent after the 2011 season after failing to land manning and started a rebuild, he'd still be here right now.

tanny was a closer, i'll give him that, but far too reckless with the future financial condition of the team. it's hard to fault him for going all in early in rex's tenure when we were a contender--you can't let a championship window go to waste in this league--but the moves after 2011 made little sense, especially the infamous sanchez extension. if tanny had cut the high priced aging talent after the 2011 season after failing to land manning and started a rebuild, he'd still be here right now.

Tanny put the possible moves on the table for the HC to decide on. I can't emphasis that point enough. It would have been just as easy to trade picks away in 2008 to win now with Favre here. The HC didn't want it. These are two contrasting styles. Tanny was from the Parcells regime. The HC shops for the groceries. Idzik is making all, if not most of the calls here, including who starts at QB apparently.

Tanny put the possible moves on the table for the HC to decide on. I can't emphasis that point enough. It would have been just as easy to trade picks away in 2008 to win now with Favre here. The HC didn't want it. These are two contrasting styles. Tanny was from the Parcells regime. The HC shops for the groceries. Idzik is making all, if not most of the calls here, including who starts at QB apparently.

sounds like woody fired the wrong guy then

It doesn't matter. Just means he's being targeted more, and their front 7 is letting opponents get to a deeper level of the defense (probably in the run game).

You can see hesitation in Pryor right now, which is fine, you should. He's a rookie. I'll worry about him if he isn't playing instinctively by the end of the year, start of next year. For now, it's getting reps and learning. Can't avoid that.

Agreed.  It doesnt.  Just pointing it out.  Pryor should be fine. 

None of them will ever play a meaningful down in the NFL.  You're a Jets fan.  You honestly think there's a hidden offensive gem sitting on IR or the practice squad?  Come'on man.

My biggest gripes were the contracts because it hamstrung the team moving forward.  He was right to go all in when he did.  He did try to replace the aging vets, it just never worked out with those particular players he identified to replace them.  Which in turn, led the decline of the roster.  The problem was, they went all in on Sanchez becoming good enough to carry the weak parts of the team.  That was an unforgivable offense which ultimately got him fired.

That said, nothing from his tenure would indicate that he would have sat on his hands and play tough guy negotiator and accept fielding a team this ridden of talent.  

if Rex was here he would have without a doubt lobbied against drafting " the next Suggs " and pounded the table to draft an offensive weapon

A GM that folds up to every whim of the coach and the owner does not deserve his job.  I don't like what Idzik has done, but at least he is doing things his way.  The idea that Rex insisted on Pryor and got his way while going into the season with Patterson at starting corner is among the most moronic trains of thought in Jets message board history.

A GM that folds up to every whim of the coach and the owner does not deserve his job. I don't like what Idzik has done, but at least he is doing things his way. The idea that Rex insisted on Pryor and got his way while going into the season with Patterson at starting corner is among the most moronic trains of thought in Jets message board history.

i hear you , and agree , but Rex is the one who said "I " drafted the guy who will smash your face in when the Green Bay media asked about Pryor not me

i hear you , and agree , but Rex is the one who said "I " drafted the guy who will smash your face in when the Green Bay media asked about Pryor not me

I like Rex and I don't believe what he says.  He is a blowhard and sticks up for the players on his team.  He almost never says anything bad about a Jet player.  Why do all the people that hate him seem to take everything he says so literally? 

You say you agree, but your post was diametrically opposed.

I like Rex and I don't believe what he says. He is a blowhard and sticks up for the players on his team. He almost never says anything bad about a Jet player. Why do all the people that hate him seem to take everything he says so literally?

You say you agree, but your post was diametrically opposed.

i agree that a GM shouldn't get bulled in the draft room by his coach...I'm not on the " fire Idzik " team yet i do believe though that Rex still has way too much Input on draft day , I'm obviously not there so I don't know for sure but his fingerprints are all over this roster still if you ask me.

i agree that a GM shouldn't get bulled in the draft room by his coach...I'm not on the " fire Idzik " team yet i do believe though that Rex still has way too much Input on draft day , I'm obviously not there so I don't know for sure but his fingerprints are all over this roster still if you ask me.

Starting Darrin Walls and Antonio Allen at corner screams no input at all to me. 

which approach do I prefer ? 

idzik's

most winning stable organizations do it that way.  tanny got extremely lucky on the injury front while he was leaving the roster paper thin and top heavy

tanny's way gives you a 1 year window in a 32 team league

idzik approach is preferable, the results just have to be better

I am curious, do other NFL teams "give" the HC one late round pick? Is that common practice? Is it in Rex's contract? If the answers are "no" to both, it shows how much Woody loves Rex and also why GMs weren't beating down the doors for the job, "I have to give Rex what?"

I am curious, do other NFL teams "give" the HC one late round pick? Is that common practice? Is it in Rex's contract? If the answers are "no" to both, it shows how much Woody loves Rex and also why GMs weren't beating down the doors for the job, "I have to give Rex what?"

I bet Idzik is sitting in his office right now, pissed off that he had to let Rex screw up the Tahj Boyd pick. That only left 11 picks for Idzik to mess up.

Archived