PFF

AFJF

How much stock do you put in to their ratings?  I mentioned in a thread the other day that I subscribed to give it a look.  The data is pretty interesting, but can any web site that once considered Kyle Wilson to be a good player be taken that seriously?  I consistently see the mainstream sports media referencing their data but some of it doesn't add up IMO.  For example, they list the Jets as -13.4 in run blocking, which ranks them 23rd in the NFL, but they're #2 in the NFL in rushing yards and averagin 4.9 YPC which is good for 7th in the league.  Could a team possibly be worse than 20 teams at run blocking but still be among the best in the NFL at running the ball??

Thoughts?

Our rushing totals are bloated because of Oakland game. Their data is probably correct.

But our YPC has been solid against everyone.  The only reason the Jets aren't #1 IMO is because MM keeps abondoning it while it's working.  They pounded the ball all the way down the field against the Lions who may have the best D-line on the schedule and got away from it.

But our YPC has been solid against everyone. The only reason the Jets aren't #1 IMO is because MM keeps abondoning it while it's working. They pounded the ball all the way down the field against the Lions who may have the best D-line on the schedule and got away from it.

That doesn't equate to best run blocking, as much as it could be about most attempts, or best yards after first contact for our RBs.

You can be good at running the ball in spite of average run blocking.

How much stock do you put in to their ratings?  I mentioned in a thread the other day that I subscribed to give it a look.  The data is pretty interesting, but can any web site that once considered Kyle Wilson to be a good player be taken that seriously?  I consistently see the mainstream sports media referencing their data but some of it doesn't add up IMO.  For example, they list the Jets as -13.4 in run blocking, which ranks them 23rd in the NFL, but they're #2 in the NFL in rushing yards and averagin 4.9 YPC which is good for 7th in the league.  Could a team possibly be worse than 20 teams at run blocking but still be among the best in the NFL at running the ball??

Thoughts?

Hard to get behind a site that defends Kyle Wilson but I dont think you look at it like its the end all be all, rather, a site that gives you an interesting perspective on how players perform beyond the "eye test" and the box score.

In regards to the OL being negative but the run game being #2 overall, it might have something to do with Ivory's ability to break tackles.  Even Powell for that matter, when they're in the game, they both make something out of nothing.  They get positive yards when nothing is there.  You also have to considered designed runs for Geno and broken plays that he just tucks it and runs.  Those plays typically dont require great blocking it more so deception.

Hard to get behind a site that defends Kyle Wilson but I dont think you look at it like its the end all be all, rather, a site that gives you an interesting perspective on how players perform beyond the "eye test" and the box score.

In regards to the OL being negative but the run game being #2 overall, it might have something to do with Ivory's ability to break tackles.  Even Powell for that matter, when they're in the game, they both make something out of nothing.  They get positive yards when nothing is there.  You also have to considered designed runs for Geno and broken plays that he just tucks it and runs.  Those plays typically dont require great blocking it more so deception.

That's kind of how I've been looking at it..it's a nice "guide" to get a general idea for each player which is nice because who the hell has the time to watch and analyze every player on the field? 

Good point on Ivory, but if that were the case I'd expect  his rating to be through the roof but it's not. 

Again, just curious as to how others view the data.

That doesn't equate to best run blocking, as much as it could be about most attempts, or best yards after first contact for our RBs.

You can be good at running the ball in spite of average run blocking.

May very well be the case..if so, Ivory is probably a lot better than he's getting credit for.  He'd be a monster if he actually had some running room.  I think he'll be facing enough 8 man fronts to slow him down though.  Right now, no reason for a defense to back off.

I put more faith in their skill position numbers than their lineman numbers. It's easy to see a WR make a catch or a drop. Or a CB pass defended. it's alot hard to know what the assignment of lineman was, and how well or poorly they executed that assignment. Basically unless the guy gets thrown to the ground Brian Winters style or pancakes someone like Mangold, they are just guessing. 

May very well be the case..if so, Ivory is probably a lot better than he's getting credit for.  He'd be a monster if he actually had some running room.  I think he'll be facing enough 8 man fronts to slow him down though.  Right now, no reason for a defense to back off.

Go look at the thread I started last night about Demarco Murray's yards before contact. It is insane.

They are doing what a "ground and pound" team should do.

Go look at the thread I started last night about Demarco Murray's yards before contact. It is insane.

They are doing what a "ground and pound" team should do.

Impressive...and Ivory is indeed number one in yards after contact.

Archived