Source: Drafting Geno Smith was "100 Percent" John Idzik's Decision

flgreen

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'd have been wasted either way, and may result in us getting a Brett Hundley rather than being stuck with an average guy like Bridgewater.  Unless of course the veteran option was our choice, in which case we'd get another JAG that way as well a la Ryan Fitzpatrick.  If we could go back in time we should have listened to Bradway and gotten Russell Wilson, except that it would still be Tannenbaum and Rex running this ship together, possibly.

The Geno pick was the right one at the time, and so was giving him a 2nd season.  Hindsighting it gets us nowhere, and putting Vick in now gets us nowhere as well.  If he continues to crumble we get a top pick and a new coach. 

Not putting Vick in right now is a mistake imo. 

That's not what I'm saying, what I'm saying is that any rational Jet fan knows they drafted Smith with the intention of him becoming their franchise QB, to try and pretend it's "no big deal because he was the 39th pick" is flat out stupid.

You have a real knack for the opposite of correct.

The draft never pans out the way people expect it to, so tanking a season for picks just isn't worth it. Look at Indy. They tanked for Luck and now Russel Wilson is Joe Cool in the play offs and a Superbowl champion. For all the media BS about Luck, there is no guarantee he'll ever even play in a Superbowl, nevermind win one.

How dare I as a JETS fan hope for the best.

Hey, Knock your self out! GO for it.

I am just saying, hoping for Geno to be great seems like a bit of a pipe dream. Personally, I would aim for something a bit more reasonable, like if Geno turns out to be decent.

I am not as down on him as many poeple are, but I don't think he has great in his upside. I think he can be a serviceable QB that can win with a great team around him, but will never be able to really elevate his team like top 5 QBs.

But hey, hang on to your dreams. I still want to be an astronaut when I get older..... Then again, I am old and really fat, so I may be a bit unrealistic...

What loquacious type individual would most benefit from having the world knowing that Idzik, and Idzik alone, wanted to draft the very quarterback that the head coach is being forced to play?

You're right. This does seem like Revis' doing. That bastard.

Either way, nobody with eyes thought Smith was replacing Sanchez. Everyone just thought he was insurance who may or may not work out. If they thought he was franchise material they wouldn't have left him til the 39th pick.

You are seriously delusional if you think that the Jets front office intended to use a 2nd round pick as a stop gap player to replace a back up QB. How about you just face reality, they took a shot and it didn't work out, nobody can blame them for that, most teams in the League are searching high and low for that franchise QB.  

You are seriously delusional if you think that the Jets front office intended to use a 2nd round pick as a stop gap player to replace a back up QB. How about you just face reality, they took a shot and it didn't work out, nobody can blame them for that, most teams in the League are searching high and low for that franchise QB.

oh, welcome back. feeling the need to be wrong today? NOBODY THOUGHT GENO WAS A FRANCHISE PICK. He's getting a shot because there's no definite franchise pick in front of him. Jesus Horatio Christ, WTF don't you get?

Hey, Knock your self out! GO for it.

I am just saying, hoping for Geno to be great seems like a bit of a pipe dream. Personally, I would aim for something a bit more reasonable, like if Geno turns out to be decent.

I am not as down on him as many poeple are, but I don't think he has great in his upside. I think he can be a serviceable QB that can win with a great team around him, but will never be able to really elevate his team like top 5 QBs.

But hey, hang on to your dreams. I still want to be an astronaut when I get older..... Then again, I am old and really fat, so I may be a bit unrealistic...

I am sure they were saying the same about Brees in 2003. Heck he was benched in favor of Flutie. Flutie in those days was a veteran QB past his prime. Sound familiar. He did help Chargers get the the top pick in the next draft. The Chargers gave up on Brees to an extent they ended up getting a QB in Rivers. You should check out how the Chargers 2005 season went.

I am sure they were saying the same about Brees in 2003. Heck he was benched in favor of Flutie. Flutie in those days was a veteran QB past his prime. Sound familiar. He did help Chargers get the the top pick in the next draft. The Chargers gave up on Brees to an extent they ended up getting a QB in Rivers. You should check out how the Chargers 2005 season went.

Oh, Brees sucked and then became great? OK, then I think its safe to say the same will happen for Geno. Cool, pumped that we have our QB

Let me get this straight, your comparing Brees and his path early in the NFL to Geno Smith???? You don't event watch football do you?  

oh, welcome back. feeling the need to be wrong today? NOBODY THOUGHT GENO WAS A FRANCHISE PICK. He's getting a shot because there's no definite franchise pick in front of him. Jesus Horatio Christ, WTF don't you get?

Sorry buddy but you can kick and scream all you like but the reality is when you select a QB at pick 39, your counting on getting a lot more than a Backup QB. If as you claim, the Jets front office actually made that pick with the goal of getting a back up QB for Taco Boy, then they are the dumbest SOB's in the entire league.

Look at the rest of the quarterbacks in last year's class. Look at the quarterbacks in this year's class, excepting Bridgewater. Look at the quarterbacks in next year's class. Not taking Geno would have been borderline criminal. Doesn't look like it's gonna work out. Happens.

The last 2 year's QB's class I agree have been dismal.  The simple fact that Smith was one of the top rated ones is proof of that.

This coming class on the other hand seems to have a few very nice looking prospects, so if the Jets go in the tank there's at least hope

Sorry buddy but you can kick and scream all you like but the reality is when you select a QB at pick 39, your counting on getting a lot more than a Backup QB. If as you claim, the Jets front office actually made that pick with the goal of getting a back up QB for Taco Boy, then they are the dumbest SOB's in the entire league.

listen, Chuckles, if the Jets thought Geno Smith was going to be a real, can't miss franchise QB, they wouldn't have left him there til 39th when any other team could have grabbed him. if you don't understand this, it's a you problem, not Jets fans or Jets front office problem. you're being purposefully thick. I'm through addressing it.

I don't think it makes a bit of difference really.  For years we've wondered if X backup will save us.  He never does.  Vick won't.  And I'd prefer to tank.

They're 1-3. I'd rather not give up on the season yet. Staying with Geno (given his performance and declining confidence) feels like they are. Starting Vick would at least keep me interesting for a couple more weeks. 

They're 1-3. I'd rather not give up on the season yet. Staying with Geno (given his performance and declining confidence) feels like they are. Starting Vick would at least keep me interesting for a couple more weeks.

Jets fans want to tank the season in week 4. #jetsfootball

As bad as Geno has been he's actually not the Jets' biggest problem. We have $20+ mil in cap room and didn't resign Cromartie. We had Desean Jackson right there - the guy already knows our playbook and fits what we do - and we took a pass.

More than one problem but geno is horrific. Pick six on screen pass where he didn't even look. Worst ever

As bad as Geno has been he's actually not the Jets' biggest problem.  We have $20+ mil in cap room and didn't resign Cromartie.  We had Desean Jackson right there - the guy already knows our playbook and fits what we do - and we took a pass. 

cro is the one that bugs me the most.   the jets had to know more about his hip than anybody. he knows the defense here. he is a big corner who can run deep and make a play on the ball

he is currently the 4th highest rated corner in football according to football outsiders

Jets fans want to tank the season in week 4. #jetsfootball

I'm in the wouldn't-mind-going-3-and-13 camp, but it's becoming increasingly clear that there is no clear-cut great college QB this year. Winston is the most talented, but is a disaster off the field: Mariota was exposed the other night against Arizona and looks like a Sam Bradford that scrambles; Bryce Petty has all the tools but is inaccurate and constantly dinged up. The "safest" of them right now is Connor Cook, whom supposedly doesn't do well when pressured.

Bottom line, getting a top-5 pick sounds good, but this is probably the wrong year to have one if you're looking for a no-doubt QB.

I'm in the wouldn't-mind-going-3-and-13 camp, but it's becoming increasingly clear that there is no clear-cut great college QB this year. Winston is the most talented, but is a disaster off the field: Mariota was exposed the other night against Arizona and looks like a Sam Bradford that scrambles; Bryce Petty has all the tools but is inaccurate and constantly dinged up. The "safest" of them right now is Connor Cook, whom supposedly doesn't do well when pressured.

Bottom line, getting a top-5 pick sounds good, but this is probably the wrong year to have one if you're looking for a no-doubt QB.

Don't trust this team to groom a qb.

more like astounded by the unfathomable depth of shasta's stupidity lake.

So lets see which is stupider:

1. Believing the Jets used a 2nd round pick to solve their QB problem?

2. Or believing like you, that the used a 2nd round pick to draft a back up QB behind Mark S.?

So lets see which is stupider:

1. Believing the Jets used a 2nd round pick to solve their QB problem?

2. Or believing like you, that the used a 2nd round pick to draft a back up QB behind Mark S.?

still here? you were arguing that a 39th pick is expected to be a can't miss franchise QB. nope. you're wrong. moving on.

Archived