Woody Johnson says Rex Ryan will be evaluated after season

slats

Woody Johnson says Rex Ryan will be evaluated after season

Posted by Mike Florio on October 2, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
woody.jpg?w=250Getty Images

At a time when it seems as if persons other than Jets coach Rex Ryan are responsible for quarterback Geno Smith remaining the starter, Ryan remains the guy who’ll ultimately be responsible for the performance of the team, regardless of who the quarterback is.

Johnson explained during a press conference with reporters that Ryan’s status will be determined after the current season.  But Johnson hinted that Rex’s future doesn’t hinge on a playoff berth.

We don’t look at it that way,” Johnson said regarding a playoff-or-bust mandate, via Dom Cosentino of NJ.com.  “We’re looking to build a team both on the field and through our coaches that we feel is the best we can get. And so we make those decisions at the end of the season, when we evaluate everything.”

Asked whether Rex could return even if the streak of non-playoff appearances runs to four, Johnson reiterated that those decisions will be made at the appropriate time.

“Those are the kinds of decisions that we make at the end of the season,” Johnson said. “And we’ll evaluate everybody and see what the best plan is going forward.”

As to Smith, Johnson’s evaluation is strong.

“I have a lot of confidence in Geno,” Johnson said, via Seth Walder of the New York Daily News.  “I think Geno can be a franchise quarterback.”

The one caveat?  Johnson believes Smith’s use of an “F” bomb — twice — toward the stands on Sunday was “unacceptable.”  The league likely agrees, via the fine letter that undoubtedly was sent to Smith this week.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what a bloody tool! when is the last time he had to listen to anyone evaluate him? ah, sorry, it's just another spoon-fed little rich boy trying to act like a big shot.

What are you talking about?

This is just the owner of the organization sending the message "Rex will not be fired mid-season". 

Non-story.

Correct me if i am wrong but wasn't that kindda implied when Rex was "extended".

All this tells me is that no matter how much the media complains about Idzik and his boring style of operating and no CB's and WR's, he is still in the driver's seat.

All it tells me is that we lost 3 games in a row, and the media is trying to manufacture discord wherever they can.

This is just the owner of the organization sending the message "Rex will not be fired mid-season". 

Non-story.

you are right.  my disdain for the owner of NY Jets is so pervasive, it is clouding any impartial judgement I may have.  Will  not post till after Sunday, after which, when my team, the Jets I have followed as a fan for a long time, implode.  I promise that after that there will be scorched earth vitriol. But until then, I will stay silent.

you are right.  my disdain for the owner of NY Jets is so pervasive, it is clouding any impartial judgement I may have.  Will  not post till after Sunday, after which, when my team, the Jets I have followed as a fan for a long time, implode.  I promise that after that there will be scorched earth vitriol. But until then, I will stay silent.

Seems dramatic.

Correct me if i am wrong but wasn't that kindda implied when Rex was "extended".

All this tells me is that no matter how much the media complains about Idzik and his boring style of operating and no CB's and WR's, he is still in the driver's seat.

Good! Why Throw Idzik under the bus after 1.5 seasons when we gave his predecessor all the time in the world?

He deserves at least two more years.

I do however hope that Woody will permit Idzik to fire Rex if that's what he wants to do.

Same thing could be said about Geno but that should also be up to Idzik.

Good! Why Throw Idzik under the bus after 1.5 seasons when we gave his predecessor all the time in the world?

He deserves at least two more years.

I do however hope that Woody will permit Idzik to fire Rex if that's what he wants to do.

Same thing could be said about Geno but that should also be up to Idzik.

Heck the GM from 2 regimes ago is still working for the Jets. 

The owner is a moron. It's the curse of inherited wealth; either you understand you were born on 3rd base and wisely step back to  farm out the big jobs to more competent people than yourself . Or you're bound to make a mess.That's the difference between the Rooneys, Tisches and Maras and Woody Johnson or Jerry Jones(who despite having played college football has shown himself to be mostly foolish since he fired Jimmy Johnson). . And this is the biggest problem this franchise faces.

he put a carrot in front of rex without getting nailed to a strict commitment.  that was smart because you don't wan the media screaming hysterically in december that every game is "rex's final game" 

he gave a vote of confidence to his young QB.  that was smart.

my only wish is that he would have added "we punished geno, but the details will remain private"

We anxiously await your vitriol.

Instead of overpaying Rex right now and then letting him go at the end of the season I would trade him now and get something for him. I hear Oakland might be interested.

#TheLoganMankinsStrategy.

trade Rex to Oakland for one of the open bags of chips at the grocery store

Non-story.

I understood completely what he was talking about I 2-8. He is saying the same thing I would have written had he not gotten here first. Who is evaluating him, the sh!tty owner? He's the guy who needs to be looked at more closely, not the coach and not the GM, Johnson FIRST, maybe the league will do just that. Woody Johnson refuses to spend the correct amount of money that it takes to field an NFL-caliber pro football team and it needs to be discussed.

The thing I thought was most interesting in the piece was Woody implying that a playoff appearance wasn't the litmus test for whether Rex keeps his job or not. I thought that would've been picked up on.

The thing I thought was most interesting in the piece was Woody implying that a playoff appearance wasn't the litmus test for whether Rex keeps his job or not. I thought that would've been picked up on.

Saw that. Life time extension?

That was established last year.

That was established last year.

Discussed in here and elsewhere, the idea has been pretty prevalent that Rex had to get to the playoffs this year to keep his job. I didn't believe that, but it's been repeated a lot. The owner's comments kinda make that official. Maybe he and the GM realize Rex doesn't have much to work with this year. Maybe there is a edict to keep Geno on the field, and that Rex's job isn't in jeopardy when Smith single-handedly loses games.

Heck the GM from 2 regimes ago is still working for the Jets.

The owner is a moron. It's the curse of inherited wealth; either you understand you were born on 3rd base and wisely step back to farm out the big jobs to more competent people than yourself . Or you're bound to make a mess.That's the difference between the Rooneys, Tisches and Maras and Woody Johnson or Jerry Jones(who despite having played college football has shown himself to be mostly foolish since he fired Jimmy Johnson). . And this is the biggest problem this franchise faces.

Since I haven't followed the Jets that long, I don't know better. But I can't see why he would sell the team when it's a cash cow.

Better to figure out a way to work around the problem. One way would be to let people do their work.

I posted this on jetsinsider also but i am curious to find out

does anyone know if he is a 100 percent owner or did he buy it with a group and he happens to be the main shareholder?

if he bought it with a group can anyone in his group step-up and buy him out?

just curious i am nowhere near the city so i am wondering if anyone has other info closer to the city on the ownership?

I get my news mostly on the internet but being in the city you might hear other things?

Archived