Woody Johnson says Rex Ryan will be evaluated after season

slats

Discussed in here and elsewhere, the idea has been pretty prevalent that Rex had to get to the playoffs this year to keep his job. I didn't believe that, but it's been repeated a lot. The owner's comments kinda make that official. Maybe he and the GM realize Rex doesn't have much to work with this year. Maybe there is a edict to keep Geno on the field, and that Rex's job isn't in jeopardy when Smith single-handedly loses games.

Keep the dream alive, brother. Don't you let go of that rope.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barring 5-11 or worse, both Rex and Idzik will be back again next year, and in all likelihood, Geno will be starting QB again next year.

Do you think so? Well i hope they think long and hard about every big decision.

Do you think so? Well i hope they think long and hard about every big decision.

Yes, I think Woody LOVES Rex. I hope they think long and hard about every big decision as well, but Rex seems to have Teflon status with the majority of the fan base and with Woody, and Idzik is just too new.

Keep the dream alive, brother. Don't you let go of that rope.

You still think it's playoffs or a pink slip?

I fully recognize that the man's job security is a little shaky at this point in time, but if Idzik has any qualifications to be a GM at all, he should recognize that there's not a lot of talent on the Jets for his coach to work with. Particularly when it comes to throwing the ball and defending the pass in this crazy modern passing league.

Discussed in here and elsewhere, the idea has been pretty prevalent that Rex had to get to the playoffs this year to keep his job. I didn't believe that, but it's been repeated a lot. The owner's comments kinda make that official. Maybe he and the GM realize Rex doesn't have much to work with this year. Maybe there is a edict to keep Geno on the field, and that Rex's job isn't in jeopardy when Smith single-handedly loses games.

If you believe that an owner's comments in October are relevant in January, then you are self deluding.

Haven't you ever heard of the infamously dangerous "vote of confidence"?

You still think it's playoffs or a pink slip?

I fully recognize that the man's job security is a little shaky at this point in time, but if Idzik has any qualifications to be a GM at all, he should recognize that there's not a lot of talent on the Jets for his coach to work with. Particularly when it comes to throwing the ball and defending the pass in this crazy modern passing league.

I think a playoff appearance might save his job, but I don't think missing the playoffs is going to cost him his job.

If you believe that an owner's comments in October are relevant in January, then you are self deluding.

Haven't you ever heard of the infamously dangerous "vote of confidence"?

I save all my self-deluding for when I'm standing in front of the bathroom mirror.

I'm pretty sure Woody loves Rex -and still will three months from now- and that John Idzik will have to convince Woody to let him fire Rex at the end of the year (if that's what he wants to do).

I think a playoff appearance might save his job, but I don't think missing the playoffs is going to cost him his job.

Woody is a back page man. That is why he loved Rex during the hey day-He bought him publicity. The false bravado put fannies in the seats.

If the Jets, through a losing season become "non-relevant", Woody will feel forced to do a move. It is why the Jets brought in Favre. It is why the Jets brought in Tebow. It is why Bradway was allowed to make splashy signings and trades. Trying to keep the Jets relevant.

A 6-10 season make the Jets as relevant for 2015 as a subscription to a newspaper. He hates that. If he is going to be force fed the "slow and steady wins the race" mantra by Idzik, he is going to look at ways to make news in other areas.

Rex will be that lamb that Woody hears screaming.

Honestly, I think that's only fair. 

When you hear guys like Morninwheg say things like "we're trying to groom a young QB here" it kind of gives you a glimpse into the reality that they all realize the predicament they are in, and are likely treating it like a slow-play, rather than win-now. Sure winning now would be great, but I think they are probably more realistic about the outcomes than fans are.

Woody is a back page man. That is why he loved Rex during the hey day-He bought him publicity. The false bravado put fannies in the seats.

If the Jets, through a losing season become "non-relevant", Woody will feel forced to do a move. It is why the Jets brought in Favre. It is why the Jets brought in Tebow. It is why Bradway was allowed to make splashy signings and trades. Trying to keep the Jets relevant.

A 6-10 season make the Jets as relevant for 2015 as a subscription to a newspaper. He hates that. If he is going to be force fed the "slow and steady wins the race" mantra by Idzik, he is going to look at ways to make news in other areas.

Yep. Besides running the team into the ground, Rex has also gotten boring and skinny. He's non-marketable at this point.

All it tells me is that we lost 3 games in a row, and the media is trying to manufacture discord wherever they can.

I am ashamed of the New York media .  I just assume that other cities are more grown up and less vicious than ours.  It may not be the case.  But our media is clearly unworthy of their craft.

Jim Harbaugh, who SF's front office and locker room have soured upon.

Harbaugh + Mariota would be a nice reset for this franchise.

Harbaugh is also not sure about making the playoffs in a group which has Seahawks and Cardinals.

So supposing Harbaugh is available would you still sign him to be the JETS HC after he has failed to make the playoffs with the 49er defense and a worthy QB playing on the team. Why ? And he is not Rex is not the correct answer.

Harbaugh is also not sure about making the playoffs in a group which has Seahawks and Cardinals.

So supposing Harbaugh is available would you still sign him to be the JETS HC after he has failed to make the playoffs with the 49er defense and a worthy QB playing on the team. Why ? And he is not Rex is not the correct answer.

-Jim Harbaugh: 38-13-1, .745 win %

-Made it to the NFCCG all 3 years he's been SF's coach (with 2 different QB's), one of those years going to the SB.

-Head to head, humiliated Rex and the Jets 34-0 at MetLife.

-And, for a team with as many problems as we have offensively, especially at the QB position, he seems to be something of a QB whisperer. Would much prefer him grooming our next QB than giving Rex another one to ruin.

-Now, as for your points: while I think SF will ultimately make the playoffs, unlike the Jets they actually play in a very difficult division; hence, while missing the playoffs would be disappointing, it wouldn't be the embarrassment of missing the playoffs coming from the AFCE. Also, don't forget that their defense is missing arguably their best player in Aldon Smith. Lastly, is Kaepernick naturally a "worthy" QB, or is his play to some degree a product of his development under Harbaugh?

-So, to answer your question - yes, I absolutely sign him if he's available. I'd trade draft pick(s) to attain him (although not a 1st rounder if we're in position to draft a franchise QB), and even make him the highest paid coach in the league without hesitating. AND, to take it a step further, I'd go so far as to make him HC/GM if that's what it took to bring him here (considering our current GM has done nothing to inspire confidence, and despite JH having no track record in that capacity, I certainly don't see how he could do any worse in that role than JI has shown thus far).

-Made it to the NFCCG all 3 years he's been SF's coach (with 2 different QB's), one of those years going to the SB.

-And, for a team with as many problems as we have offensively, especially at the QB position, he seems to be something of a QB whisperer. Would much prefer him grooming our next QB than giving Rex another one to ruin.

-Now, as for your points: while I think SF will ultimately make the playoffs, unlike the Jets they actually play in a very difficult division; hence, while missing the playoffs would be disappointing, it wouldn't be the embarrassment of missing the playoffs coming from the AFCE. Also, don't forget that their defense is missing arguably their best player in Aldon Smith. Lastly, is Kaepernick naturally a "worthy" QB, or is his play to some degree a product of his development under Harbaugh?

-So, to answer your question - yes, I absolutely sign him if he's available. I'd trade draft pick(s) to attain him (although not a 1st rounder if we're in position to draft a franchise QB), and even make him the highest paid coach in the league without hesitating. AND, to take it a step further, I'd go so far as to make him HC/GM if that's what it took to bring him here (considering our current GM has done nothing to inspire confidence, and despite JH having no track record in that capacity, I certainly don't see how he could do any worse in that role than JI has shown thus far).

You should go thru these boards and look for posts from October 2012 and see how people felt about Geno then and Sanchez.

Now Sanchez is gone and there is this mild feeling of regret seeing him look better and isolated suggestions have been made to trade back for him while Geno is punching bag of this town.

You hire a guys who for whatever reason does not make the playoffs and has his focus questioned and then is paid a great deal of money to coach this team. If the JETS do that  and have a 2 game losing streak this boards will get a collective aneurysm and the media will celebrate like its XMas come early.

I agree. If we are replacing Rex...and that is a big if, I would WHOLEHEARTEDLY support Harbaugh.

LL

Yep. Besides running the team into the ground, Rex has also gotten boring and skinny. He's non-marketable at this point.

ok, I'll bite

he would choose from 4 DC offers and 3 network offers

don't be silly

I agree. If we are replacing Rex...and that is a big if, I would WHOLEHEARTEDLY support Harbaugh.

LL

I can tell you that I tried that on madden 15 and the game froze. So not even in the fictive world of football is it possible to be successful with the Jets. #™

Harbaugh and the New York scum media? Ugly

Harbaugh risking his NFL legacy by coming to the Jets with their dysfunctional owner before gets a ring? Not.

Harbaugh wants to go to Michigan. He's not coming to the Jets.

The odds of the Jets landing a proven commodity at HC: 10000000:1

So which unproven coordinator can they get? 

Oh great, a moron will be evaluating an ass clown. he will be the leader of the Jets for the foreseeable future. :)

I think Rex could sell Woody a bag of his own feces for $1,000.00 if it guaranteed another outstanding 8-8 6-10 season

Exactly! Woody craves to be another George Steinbrenner, because without the publicity he would be just another rich guy. Rex is the key to everything he wants. publicity is much higher on the priority list than winning a super bowl. and its obvious.

Context, Larsz Non-marketable to Jets season ticket holders. He's no longer a selling point

I'm sure his rating among STH is probably in the 30% range

Harbaugh and the New York scum media? Ugly

Harbaugh risking his NFL legacy by coming to the Jets with their dysfunctional owner before gets a ring? Not.

Harbaugh wants to go to Michigan. He's not coming to the Jets.

The odds of the Jets landing a proven commodity at HC: 10000000:1

So which unproven coordinator can they get? 

proven commodities who are available have just been fired.  also called retreads, and all of them got their first break to begin their careers as unproven

I hate harbaughs guts, he's a dick

the HC is an executive.  they need an executive.  cold hearted assassin.  don't care where they get him

Archived