****The Official Jets VS Chargers Game Thread®©™****

Larz

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SAN DIEGO -- The predicted weather forecast for Sunday’s game between the San Diego Chargers and the New York Jets calls for temperatures in the 90s at game time.

San Diego players already had a practice run in dealing with hot conditions. During the team’s 30-21 win against the Seattle Seahawks on Sept. 14, the recorded temperature at game time was 94 degrees. However, the recorded on-field temperature was 118 degrees.

Some Seattle players had to leave the game because of heat-related injuries, including safety Earl Thomas.

Chargers head coach Mike McCoy said his team’s approach to the game will not change on Sunday.

"it’s the same approach as every week," he said. "It doesn’t matter if it’s hot, cold, rain or snow. It doesn’t matter. We’re going to go out and play the game.

"And the key is hydration early on during the week, and get the fluids in as you need to, but we’ve got to go out and play."

However, the Chargers should benefit from the fact that it’s been relatively hot this week, so the team practiced in those conditions. The Jets could be at a disadvantage because of the time change traveling to the West Coast, and the fact that it’s been much cooler and in the 60s this week.

"We feel like we’re a well-conditioned team," Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich said. "And we practice it in. It’s been good. It’s been warm, and I’m just glad it’s warm right now. I’m glad it didn’t get warm for Sunday.

"It gives us a few days of practice in it. And I think when we went against Seattle it was a tough day, with temperatures very high. And I think the way we played in that game, the mental and physical toughness really showed itself there."

Chargers outside linebacker Dwight Freeney said there is no predicting how a player will react to the intense heat, and that you just have to be prepared.

"We went through it before, so we know what to expect," Freeney said. "But everybody’s played in hot conditions before, and hot games before. I’m sure multiple guys on the other side have played in the heat. So how much of an advantage it is, I have no clue. But we’ve dealt with it at home before."

Recent history tells us the New York Jets are more comfortable in San Diego than Ron Burgundy.

Rex Ryan won a playoff game at Qualcomm Stadium in his first season, 2009. Herm Edwards did it in 2004. Two years earlier, the Jets -- 2-5 and on the verge of imploding -- made the long trip and routed the heavily-favored San Diego Chargers, a season-turning victory that led to the AFC East title. The win came a few days after Edwards' now-famous "You-play-to-win-the-game-speech." Who knew it would be immortalized with a beer commercial?

The current Jets (1-3), mired in a three-game losing streak, need to recapture the spirit of '02. The pressure is mounting in the locker room, evidenced by a players-only meeting on offense. Geno Smith was the primary speaker at the meeting, according to sources, which may have been a power play to show everyone he's the boss and not concerned about losing his job to Michael Vick.

"For as much as people think we're dead, I like where we stand," linebacker Calvin Pace said.

They're only one game behind the AFC East leaders, so there's that. Nevertheless, the Jets are desperate for a win. Kickoff is 4:25 ET. The top storylines:

1. Go West, young Geno: This will be the 60th start of Smith's career, college and pro, but his first in the Pacific time zone. The Jets can only hope this trip to California is smoother than the one he took last January (see: flight-attendant altercation). After a rough week, he's under enormous pressure to save his job and get the offense righted -- only four touchdown drives in the last 10 quarters. Smith said he's "100 percent, locked in," but last Sunday's incident with the heckler makes you wonder.

It's probably a good thing this game is on the road, 3,000 miles away from the angry fan base. (A funny aside: At Wednesday's practice, a Lenny Kravitz song blared from the sideline speakers: "I want to get away/I want to fly away.") For Smith, it's all about ball security. The Jets have a minus-6 turnover margin, tied for the worst in the league. Smith has to watch for safety Eric Weddle, whom guard Willie Colon described as "Polamalu-esque." And he wasn't referring to his hair.

2. Disappearing weapons: Smith could be surrounded by a patchwork receiving corps, a storyline straight out of 2013. Eric Decker (hamstring) and David Nelson (ankle) are question marks, which means Greg Salas probably will join Jeremy Kerley in the rotation. Newbie T.J. Graham got a lot of work in practice and could be active for the game, making his Jets debut. It's a tough spot for Smith, because he missed practice time with Decker and Nelson, and he has no chemistry with Graham.

No matter who lines up at receiver, they have to get rookie tight end Jace Amaro (eight catches in the last two games) more involved. Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg hinted that could happen. Amaro brings an after-the-catch dimension, which could spark the offense.

3. Focus, man, focus: One of the topics that came up in the players-only meeting was the alarming number of mental mistakes, mainly the lack-of-focus penalties. The Jets have eight false-start penalties, the third-most in the league -- and that's particularly troubling because they've played three games at home. The leading culprits are right tackle Breno Giacomini (three) and Colon (two). It can get loud at Qualcomm, so they probably will rely on a silent count. It's all about communication and concentration. The Jets play well in stretches (11th in total offense), but as Colon said: "You can't start out hot and, come the fourth quarter, we're nowhere to be seen."

4. Rivers is flowing: The Jets certainly have a lot of respect for Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, evidenced by all the superlatives emanating from One Jets Drive, but know this: They expect to put him on the ground. The pass rush is smoking (a league-leading 14 sacks) and, unlike the previous four quarterbacks on the schedule, Rivers isn't a threat to run. Rex Ryan has a good feel for Rivers and his tendencies, and it shows in the stats: Rivers is 2-2 against the Ryan-coached Jets, with seven touchdowns and five interceptions. The Chargers are down to their third center, so look for the Jets to pressure up the middle, hoping to obstruct Rivers' vision and maybe knock down a pass or two. He's 6-foot-5, but his release point tends to drop. Who knows? Maybe the Jets will actually intercept a pass.

5. Multiples threats: The Chargers' passing game is hard to defend because Rivers attacks all areas of the field. He spreads it around to four primary weapons -- Keenan Allen, Antonio Gates, Malcom Floyd and Eddie Royal, who has four touchdowns in the last two games. They will test the depth of the Jets' secondary, which welcomes back Dee Milliner. Rivers is throwing more short passes than ever, but his ability to go deep is causing the greatest concern for the Jets.

Nice job Larz, let's go Jets. Got a good feeling about this game, with a win tomorrow we're right back in this thing. Run the football, dont turn the football over, put pressure on that statue named Rivers. Pats and Bills will lose tomorrow. Go Jets. Someone's gotta be positive around here, amiright?

hargers fans are showing Dean Spanos the money.

Enough tickets were sold to lift the TV blackout for Sunday's local telecast, the team announced Thursday.

That's three-for-three this season on nixing blackouts.

The Jets (1-3) are the opponent for the Week 5 matchup at Qualcomm Stadium and were likely better for ticket sales than the Jacksonville Jaguars were last Sunday. The Chargers (3-1) said team sponsors guaranteed ticket purchases to avert a blackout for the Week 4 game.

Kickoff is set for 1:25 pm.

CBS' broadcast team of Greg Gumbel, Trent Green and Evan Washburn will call the action.

Jets dline gonna put on a show tomorrow. This is gonna be a great one folks be ready for it.

I sure hope so.  In San Diego right now everyone I talk to here says the Chargers are playing well. But they all mention the injuries and how the Chargers don't play well against the Jets. They seem to be expecting a let down game.

I hope they are right!

I may sit this one out and save my energy for Michael Vick's debut next week at MetLife Stadium. Between the dog lovers and the Gino haters it is going to be epic.

SAR I

So really you mean you have other plans wine festival,craft fair,bmw rally its football Sunday SAR I man up.

Archived