The Gang Of 3 Turned Jets Into a Total Disgrace

flgreen

Green Lantern: Stubborn ‘Gang Of 3′ Has Turned The Jets Into A Total Disgrace

Ringleader Idzik, Company Man Ryan And Enabler Woody Have Botched This Season

October 6, 2014 11:34 AM

Mon Sep.22

By Jeff Capellini

WFAN.com

The Jets are in worse shape now than they were before head coach Rex Ryan arrived prior to the 2009 season. They are just a mess.

Sunday’s 31-0 loss to the Chargers in San Diego was an embarrassment on just about every level. Not only did they not show up from the get-go, the Jets seemed to disintegrate in certain areas as the game progressed. And the things that went south were surprising and a bad omen for Ryan.

Considering the week that was heading into the game — the relentless criticism of general manager John Idzik, the fallout over the Geno Smith tirade on a fan following the Week 4 home loss to Detroit and the never-ending speculation about Ryan’s job security — Sunday’s effort and result were just about the worst things that could have happened.

Now, it’s just open season on every single person associated with the franchise, including enabling owner Woody Johnson, who just last week tried to calm fears by standing behind his GM’s unorthodox plan to rebuild. Yet, the firestorm that has engulfed the Jets will not dissipate just because the great and powerful Woody has spoken, mostly because every week they look more and more like one of the worst teams in the NFL.

As I have stated many times both online and in print, this season was never about a commitment to winning in the sense of what the fans and media expected. People who pay massive PSL and ticket prices to go to MetLife Stadium every week can understand the idea of rebuilding to a degree, but what Idzik is in the midst of trying to do —  while on some levels admirable considering the Jets’ need to get younger and deeper in a league that has no use for the old and thin — has created such a backlash that there’s no telling if fans will ever trust him.

Certain reporters have been going after the organization for years, mostly because of Ryan’s braggadocio ways back when he was a neophyte head coach. For even the more muted Rex of today, the only way to keep the media at bay is to win, but for the last three-plus years the Jets have at best treaded water. Since the plan to rebuild was put in motion things have only gotten worse for Ryan.

As a result, no one cares about the AFC tittle game appearances in 2009 and 2010 anymore. They no longer act as ammunition for Ryan’s supporters, of which I still am but understand is becoming a losing stance. This coach, while a colorful character of the highest order and brilliant in certain aspects of the Xs and Os, hasn’t been successful for what will soon be four consecutive seasons.

And his boss has done him no favors.

The popular belief is the Jets are using the Seattle Seahawks’ blueprint of building a contender. While that plan would likely take several years and require the utmost patience, it’s just a tough sell at this point because the Jets have not even been able to maintain the status quo, which in this case would be rivaling the mediocrity bar they set last season.

I’ve read the conspiracy theories — that Idzik is purposely setting Rex up for failure so that he can bring in his own coach. That line of thinking is just garbage. It’s typical of the grassy knoll approach that fans take to everything.

Right. Idzik wants to embarrass his head coach and owner, alienate all fans and put his own job at risk just so he can bring in some hot-shot college coach or flavor-of-the-month NFL coordinator next season. It’s an utterly absurd notion.

But what isn’t absurd is the criticism being lobbed in Idzik’s direction. As I stated in several columns over the last few weeks, Idzik cannot speak of contending and then approach an offseason the way he did this past one. Sure, he signed Eric Decker, Chris Johnson and Michael Vick, players that any team with the needs the Jets had would have targeted. But since the start it all seemed like a strictly cosmetic fix, something done to keep the wolves at bay.

The Jets’ failure to add another top quality receiver and to even come close to addressing cornerback screams one of two things: Either this GM is 100 percent committed to his long-term rebuilding plan where results at the start really don’t matter, or he’s completely off his rocker and not qualified to drive a golf cart on the Florham Park grounds.

You tell me which he is. The Jets remain more than $20 million under the salary cap, a fact that has hijacked this season’s narrative, and they are coming off a horrendous loss that featured the benching of their young starting quarterback and the realization that the much-heralded backup is no savior either, given the supporting cast.

The Jets are staring at a 1-6 abyss, assuming God doesn’t intervene next week against Peyton Manning and the ridiculously good Denver Broncos, followed by a short-week trip up to New England for a Thursday night game against the Patriots. The Jets stand to get booed out of their own building next Sunday and laughed out of another the following week.

Idzik can stick to his mantra about the draft and being cost-efficient all he wants, but when the Jets regress — as they have ridiculously since ending last season on such a surprising high — it becomes more and more difficult to say the team’s record this season doesn’t matter, which is what he wants you to believe is the case.

The situation is worse for Ryan, because I’ve been of the belief that if the Jets continue to play hard for him and he doesn’t lose the locker room, he can withstand another non-playoff season. In fact, I have stated repeatedly that I believe Ryan, Idzik and Johnson have that very understanding about this season, something Woody seemed to confirm during his press conference last week.

But we saw some alarming things happen this past weekend in San Diego that would suggest Rex’s iron dome might be cracking. First, Smith missed a team meeting on Saturday. And while it could have been just an honest mistake, it once again shows a lack of discipline the Jets have demonstrated this season under Ryan. Add this seemingly minor transgression to the team’s rash of penalties through five weeks and the “timeout” fiasco back in Week 2 in Green Bay, and it’s getting more clear by the day that Rex’s relaxed approach to discipline is hurting the product on the field.

Perhaps more disconcerting has been the play of Rex’s bread and butter, the defense. Last week I explained why this overly-hyped unit deserved as much blame as the young quarterback for the Jets’ slow start. A week later, it’s even more apparent that Ryan’s defense is not even feast or famine, as I described. It’s from hunger.

The Chargers had three scoring drives of at least 90 yards on Sunday, and the NFL’s top-ranked rushing defense coming into the game was gashed for 114 yards on just 19 carries by rookie Brandon Oliver. And just in case you are wondering, Oliver is San Diego’s third-string tailback and had just 34 yards on the ground over the seasons’ first four weeks.

Elite defense? Average defense? Completely overrated defense? No matter what you choose to call it, it’s not playing well and the Jets now officially have nothing going for them.

This team is in a lot of trouble, and any idea of the Jets offsetting their terrible record by making a run in what had appeared to be an awful AFC East is now out the window. Barring a turnaround of epic proportions, the Jets are going to lose a lot of games this season.

And the men who agreed to this “plan” deserve every last bit of scathing criticism they receive.

Read more columns by Jeff Capellini and follow him on Twitter at @GreenLanternJet

The sad part of this is that I was fooled I really thought that Idzik were going to make a good team with their different personas.  Who knew that Idzik was very bad at personnel decisions.  And judging by the leaks last week doesn't take the advice of his scouts.

If Woody has any balls both of them will go at seasons end.  I don't want to waste another draft, and Rex has lost the team. 

bad coaching, bad talent, bad talent evaluation. but hey at least our cap is under control!!!

lol

We could have signed Desean Jackson and Antonio Cromartie in the off-season instead we sign Jacoby Ford and D'Mitri Patterson - expecting them to start.  Idzik does not have a clue.

lol

We could have signed Desean Jackson and Antonio Cromartie in the off-season instead we sign Jacoby Ford and D'Mitri Patterson - expecting them to start.  Idzik does not have a clue.

or he is an evil genius looking to torpedo rex and geno with one shot. rex might have met his better at scapegoating.

blaming the defense neglects the fact that the offense didn't score a point all day

this is the NFL, Rivers to Gates is what people pay to see. That's gonna happen. 

Yes the defense needs to do better. But what needs to happen in response is the Jets score some points. 

Instead the defense gets sent out there, again and again, in 100 degree heat and we talk about how the D isn't elite, and how they gave up rushing yards to Brandon Oliver, and how they need a new offensive genius coach to sort it out. 

Here's the news the Jets offense stinks and it effects the whole team. Coaching isn't really the problem. It's the players. Bill Walsh couldn't get Geno Smith to be good. 

blaming the defense neglects the fact that the offense didn't score a point all day

this is the NFL, Rivers to Gates is what people pay to see. That's gonna happen.

Yes the defense needs to do better. But what needs to happen in response is the Jets score some points.

Instead the defense gets sent out there, again and again, in 100 degree heat and we talk about how the D isn't elite, and how they gave up rushing yards to Brandon Oliver, and how they need a new offensive genius coach to sort it out.

Here's the news the Jets offense stinks and it effects the whole team. Coaching isn't really the problem. It's the players. Bill Walsh couldn't get Geno Smith to be good.

i bet Walsh could get him to be a professional, show up to meetings and hold him accountable to a standard.

Repost, cause probably belongs here more than where it is......

Mark My words Woody is going to Fire Rex at seasons end and let the Moron Idzik Pick our next head coach

Yes. As he should.

....while he continues to destroy our roster.

How is our roster "destroyed" vs. last year? Last I checked we signed the best FA WR and QB (in an admittedly weak field), and drafted the need most agreed we had (D-backfield) and WR.

Sure, it's painful that our CB got hurt, and the WR's all failed to pan out, and that's on idzik, no doubt.

But I'm hard pressed to see a "destroyed roster" today vs. what Idzik inherited.

Geno, clearly, is the big roster problem, as he's a complete bust at the most vital position.

Of course, he was what was available, and a 2nd rounder, akin to "missing" on Kellen Clemens.

/shrug.

Dumping Rex and Geno will, if even average replacements can be found, show how wrong the "Jets have no talent" claim actually is.

Taken from another thread, a pro media article:

But what isn’t absurd is the criticism being lobbed in Idzik’s direction. As I stated in several columns over the last few weeks, Idzik cannot speak of contending and then approach an offseason the way he did this past one. Sure, he signed Eric Decker, Chris Johnson and Michael Vick, players that any team with the needs the Jets had would have targeted. But since the start it all seemed like a strictly cosmetic fix, something done to keep the wolves at bay.

So we acquired the best players at three positions viewed as needs, and drafted the BAP at Safety and CB.

But that's "cosmetic"?

Lets just say it, if you're mad with Idzik because he didn't go wild spending on names (and there were damn few names available), you do NOT believe in building through the draft and consistency and building for the long term.....you want Idzik to be Dan Snyder, to sign every big name, big dollar FA now to win now.

We were never winning now. Idzik knew that, and his few "compete" comments don't change that, fans need to stop buying PR-talk.

This year was all about Rex's Last Chance doing it the Rex Way.

And Rex has failed.

Now, we do what should have been done before, Rex is sh*tcaned, Geno is dumped as the busted 2nd round pick he was, and we try someone new instead of arguing for consistency (of mediocrity).

Will it work? who knows, probably not. But it's far from the abject failing (from a GM perspective) it's being made out to be. And we are NOT talentless. We're leaderless, and QBless, aye, and no one wins games without those two things no matter the talent level elsewhere.

Whcih makes a bigger point. In a pass happpy NFL, where is the Jets' Rivver and Gates? This is the core issue. You cannot treat offense like an afterthought.

One thing I don't get; why do we have roster spots for speical teamers over Simms when our specials are far and away the worst in the NFL? This franchise under Ryan has not only ignored the offense they have consciously effed it up.

Dumping Rex and Geno will, if even average replacements can be found, show how wrong the "Jets have no talent" claim actually is.

I have no faith in this organization to find average replacements for either of those people. Out of Woody, Idzik and Rex, the head coach is the only one who knows football. 

they will fire Rex and the fans will get their pound of flesh but it's not a productive move. It's a move made out of spite. 

Whcih makes a bigger point. In a pass happpy NFL, where is the Jets' Rivver and Gates? This is the core issue. You cannot treat offense like an afterthought. 

Phillip Rivers was a top 5 pick. The Jets had a Phillip Rivers pick and it turned out to be Mark Sanchez. 

I have no faith in this organization to find average replacements for either of those people. Out of Woody, Idzik and Rex, the head coach is the only one who knows football. 

they will fire Rex and the fans will get their pound of flesh but it's not a productive move. It's a move made out of spite. 

Rex is not a head coach hes a defensive coordinator

The sad part of this is that I was fooled I really thought that Idzik were going to make a good team with their different personas.  Who knew that Idzik was very bad at personnel decisions.  And judging by the leaks last week doesn't take the advice of his scouts.

If Woody has any balls both of them will go at seasons end.  I don't want to waste another draft, and Rex has lost the team. 

I told you in the off season when he drafted Geno and....sniff   and .....snifff

I was....I was ....made fun of WHAAAAAAAAAAA

To me the biggest problems with Idzik are Patterson and Jacoby Ford.  They didn't need another top level WR or CB.  They needed NFL level players.  Those guys were supposed to worst case JAG level options at positions of need.  As it turns out, they both sucked.  Patterson in particular was a strange signing that I was giving Idzik the benefit of the doubt on.  Like Damien Woody moving to RT, it was something I was willing to believe without seeing.  The fact that Ford could not beat out Hill (or even Gates) and neither could any of the 3 draft picks is horrific.  If they didn't sign Ford to be a WR, then they should have signed some other lower tier WR.  I know that had interest in some, but this is being ultra-cheap.  It may pay off when he has money and his own coach, but this team certainly does not seem set up to succeed. 

I told you in the off season when he drafted Geno and....sniff   and .....snifff

I was....I was ....made fun of WHAAAAAAAAAAA

good thing you haven't been obsessing over it for over a year. you remind me of the kid who was picked on in high school and is on a talk show 20 years later to "confront the bully!" the bully is now a grown up, and probably a very nice person, with kids and a wife and a happy life, while the "victim" has let stupid stuff in the past define his existence for his entire life. so the bully comes out and the victim says "I am Jimmy Smith and you made me feel like garbage in high school!" and the bully says "Who are you again?"

Oh great the resident Knick-hater.  If I want Will Ferrell fart jokes I've seen umpteen million times I'll talk to you.

Yawn, you used a horrific example. The Knicks are a terribly run team and when you pay huge money for a coach who has never been a GM you want praise? The Knicks would take the Jets past success in a heart beat.

The Jets hired a GM to rebuild, let the man work.

or he is an evil genius looking to torpedo rex and geno with one shot. rex might have met his better at scapegoating.

This argument is far worse than Idzik being incompetent. First, it would mean that Idzik threw away two drafts, ruined a QB prospect, alienated fans and from reports..angered some of the FA's Agents. Along with this meaning he kept Rex on and then purposely stabbed him in the back would do far, far more harm than him being incompetent. In effect, he would have set the organization back years just to get a new coach.

good thing you haven't been obsessing over it for over a year. you remind me of the kid who was picked on in high school and is on a talk show 20 years later to "confront the bully!" the bully is now a grown up, and probably a very nice person, with kids and a wife and a happy life, while the "victim" has let stupid stuff in the past define his existence for his entire life. so the bully comes out and the victim says "I am Jimmy Smith and you made me feel like garbage in high school!" and the bully says "Who are you again?"

thats just plain hurtful ....you mean thing you

Archived